Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
https://youtube.com/watch?v=sBIjKJLc8ko
this dude does some of the good 40k speeches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Olanphonia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBIjKJLc8ko
this dude does some of the good 40k speeches

Oh sick. Lokhir Fellheart IRL.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

drat that art is sick. Don't get as much stuff like that anymore. Though the Rogue Trader CRPG has a bunch that's pretty close to the style

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

That book is so loving sick. I wonder if I still have my copy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Warhammer speeches are so good. I think this one from the First Wall is real good https://youtu.be/NPrvkff5NIw

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This is the best speech from 40k I've seen someone do:

https://twitter.com/K_Iragana_A/status/1262778208132296705?s=20

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

D-Pad posted:

Picked up this bad boy today mainly for the art

Did anyone else hear bolt thrower as they read this post? No? Just me, ok.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

chainchompz posted:

Did anyone else hear bolt thrower as they read this post? No? Just me, ok.

:black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaGz0wwLppk

e: fixed the embed, loving phone posting

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 29, 2023

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Biplane posted:

Warhammer speeches are so good. I think this one from the First Wall is real good https://youtu.be/NPrvkff5NIw

Is that alex jones?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Is that alex jones?

Rogal Dorn, says so right in the title
yes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I reinstalled Space Marine tonight. It's still really fun especially once I got back into the swing of the chainsword rhythm. It doesn't have the best boltgun but I do love how cartoonishly violent it is when it makes Orks pop like a red balloon.

Absolute crime that it costs seventy loving dollars to buy right now otherwise I'd get my brother a copy on steam. I've had my copy for ten years and I think I bought it for twenty bucks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Looking at that album art, has anyone done 1k Sons in that colour scheme? Because it looks pretty cool and would map onto Rubrics pretty well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

I reinstalled Space Marine tonight. It's still really fun especially once I got back into the swing of the chainsword rhythm. It doesn't have the best boltgun but I do love how cartoonishly violent it is when it makes Orks pop like a red balloon.

Absolute crime that it costs seventy loving dollars to buy right now otherwise I'd get my brother a copy on steam. I've had my copy for ten years and I think I bought it for twenty bucks.

It goes on sale pretty regularly but it should also be like $10 what the gently caress

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Whenever I keep trying to play more Space Marine I keep getting annoyed by the fact that the game has no invul frames for executions. So in my effort to gain health I keep losing health, or usually just die.

Want some books? Of course ya do!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/30/sunday-preview-the-noble-knight-lancer/

Busy pre-order weekend next week when it comes to books.

First up we have the Mega (Ultra) Limited Edition of The Fall of Cadia by Robert Rath.

Limited to just 1750 copies, so I very much recommend watching the website like a loving hawk on saturday for those who want one.
After that it's a case of luck.

Then we have the first Ciaphas Cain book in a couple of years with Vainglorious by Sandy Mitchell.

Following up on that we have Ciaphas Cain: The Anthology.

But this one collects all previous short stories about Cain, including Old Soldiers Never Die.

We have more Guard fiction, in the shape of Longshot by Rob Young.

About time this one came out I guess.

Then there's For Glory and Honour, which is another anthology featuring SPESS MEHREENS.

Will only be available in paperback (that's rare for a first release) and contains Fist of the Imperium by Andy Clark, Apocalypse by Josh Reynolds, and Of Honour and Iron by Ian St. Martin.

Lastly, Kasrkin by Edoardo Albert come out in paperback.

Then, The Emperor's Gift, ADBs Grey Knight versus Space Wolves story, is coming in audiobook format.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really like the new trend cover art that BL is going with. A good mix of new artwork and reprints of the classic artwork like the original Gaunt's Ghosts covers.

I'm probably heretical saying this but I'm really not a big fan of the Horus Heresy novel covers. None of them really work for me, too golden, too plasticy looking.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Think I gave myself a migraine going from finishing a requiem infernal reread directly into the cato sicarius omnibus

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

I really like the new trend cover art that BL is going with. A good mix of new artwork and reprints of the classic artwork like the original Gaunt's Ghosts covers.

I'm probably heretical saying this but I'm really not a big fan of the Horus Heresy novel covers. None of them really work for me, too golden, too plasticy looking.

The art on the Heresy books is awful lol

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DaysBefore posted:

The art on the Heresy books is awful lol

I'm reading The First Heretic right now and it's an excellent book that I'd strongly consider for an "intro to 40k" short selection - except that anybody with any taste is going to run for the hills upon seeing that cover.

Really could use a re-release, like other classics did (look up Xenos' 2001 cover and lol).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The Heresy covers look loving silly as hell, and not in a good way. The Siege covers mostly look real fuckin good.
Edit: okay half of them look real good. that'll have to do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cooked Auto posted:

Whenever I keep trying to play more Space Marine I keep getting annoyed by the fact that the game has no invul frames for executions. So in my effort to gain health I keep losing health, or usually just die.

Want some books? Of course ya do!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/30/sunday-preview-the-noble-knight-lancer/

Busy pre-order weekend next week when it comes to books.

First up we have the Mega (Ultra) Limited Edition of The Fall of Cadia by Robert Rath.

Limited to just 1750 copies, so I very much recommend watching the website like a loving hawk on saturday for those who want one.
After that it's a case of luck.

Then we have the first Ciaphas Cain book in a couple of years with Vainglorious by Sandy Mitchell.

Following up on that we have Ciaphas Cain: The Anthology.

But this one collects all previous short stories about Cain, including Old Soldiers Never Die.

We have more Guard fiction, in the shape of Longshot by Rob Young.

About time this one came out I guess.

Then there's For Glory and Honour, which is another anthology featuring SPESS MEHREENS.

Will only be available in paperback (that's rare for a first release) and contains Fist of the Imperium by Andy Clark, Apocalypse by Josh Reynolds, and Of Honour and Iron by Ian St. Martin.

Lastly, Kasrkin by Edoardo Albert come out in paperback.

Then, The Emperor's Gift, ADBs Grey Knight versus Space Wolves story, is coming in audiobook format.

dope. ill get the caiphas books on audible when i get paid next.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
From The Eye of Medusa by David Guymer

quote:

Staggering about, she rounded on Ares, resorting to the Last Rite of Compliance, and kicked the Dreadnought below the breast aquila. His armour responded with a hollow clang. She whimpered, then drew her bruised foot back for another attempt when she felt a tug on her sleeve. She turned.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Improbable Lobster posted:

From The Eye of Medusa by David Guymer

"why did you wake me,,, i was have a lovely dream,,,,, Twins they were"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The Mechanicum inevitably devolving to "hit the goddamn thing with a pipe and see if it starts working again" is an evergreen joke.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Percussive maintenance is still maintenance.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

The Heresy covers look loving silly as hell, and not in a good way. The Siege covers mostly look real fuckin good.
Edit: okay half of them look real good. that'll have to do.

Pretty much all of the HH/Siege of Terra novel covers are done by one guy, Neil Roberts. A lot of the early ones he did look awkward as hell and has that "baby's first 3D software art" vibe to them, but to be fair I think he's improved a lot over the years and most of the newer ones look fine.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah the newer ones look better (not hard tbf). I am also 1100 years old and prefer the look of the old Ghosts books cover art or the Last Chancers so that's probably part of it

Also found out there was a new Last Chancers book in 2019... I know Thorpe is whatever but I always liked that series

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Just for the heck of it, I took a gander and picked my fave covers. Outcast Dead is there because it looks real silly in a good way.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I am finishing up Path of Heaven, this was insanely good. The last 1/3 was very hard to put down. Gotta check out more Chris Wraight

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The end and the death, mortis and saturnine are the best hh covers I think

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
why did ferrus manus have a giant wrench on the cover of Fulgrim

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Just for the heck of it, I took a gander and picked my fave covers. Outcast Dead is there because it looks real silly in a good way.

Outcast Dead has very strong casting couch vibes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:whitewater:

Cursed image

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I can't get over how weird the perspective on the Saturnine art is.

(Or how I still feel Legion is a fantastic book ruined by it's last 10 pages)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Shockeh posted:

I can't get over how weird the perspective on the Saturnine art is.

(Or how I still feel Legion is a fantastic book ruined by it's last 10 pages)

The perspective makes a lot more sense if you are looking at the full image. The SoT books, like the HH books are actually wraparound covers which was a dumb choice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it works both ways

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Nope - if anything I find it weirder now. That Imperial Fist with the bunch of the Auxila, what's going on with your right leg buddy, etc. It's just slightly fish eyed, like, I'm looking down at this platform below me on the same building, but also the far view into the distant palace.
E: Also the Bloodthirster has this massive elongated shadow from the light source beyond, but none of the Troops do.

Whatever - It's no big deal, we can put it down to subjective I suppose.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Shockeh posted:

Nope - if anything I find it weirder now. That Imperial Fist with the bunch of the Auxila, what's going on with your right leg buddy, etc. It's just slightly fish eyed, like, I'm looking down at this platform below me on the same building, but also the far view into the distant palace.
E: Also the Bloodthirster has this massive elongated shadow from the light source beyond, but none of the Troops do.

Whatever - It's no big deal, we can put it down to subjective I suppose.

That's Angron. I love the full image because of the scale it shows, just how big the palace and the war was, and that's only one tiny piece of it.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I had no idea all the covers were the work of the same guy and now I am impressed by how much he’s improved. The cover for TEATD is fantastic.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Arc Hammer posted:

lol I wonder if there's something in the air, because I also reinstalled Space Marine the exact night you did. I'm wrapping it up today

It holds up, though absolutely a game of its era, back when every game needed hidden audio logs and a turret section

I've also decided to read Space Marine by Ian Watson. I know it's old and weird and over the top, but those are also points in its favor. It rules

e: also I ended up pirating Space Marine (the game) because my 360 disk is all scratched to hell, and I'm not rebuying it at that price. not sure who that money goes to but it surely isn't to anyone associated with the Relic of 2011, so I figure it's ethical enough

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If you own it, it's not piracy.