Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Gun range and size of the circle is really all the info you need. The smaller the circle, the more likely a shot will connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

androo posted:

The overwatch engagement mechanic is one that bothers me a bit. It lets you take shots before they potentially run behind cover, but the shots aren't ideal (not headshots which are about 100% accuracy with decent snipers) and they cost AP. I get that it would be OP to still be able to take a full turn but since the enemy gets some movement in and I've put in the effort to set up a surprise attack I'd still expect to take a full turn after it starts.

I basically never used overwatch to set up ambushes after realizing that. I'd rather just set up crossfire positions and take the shots I want. If I'm wrong about the mechanics please correct me, maybe it was only the person I took an action with, but I remember having no AP after combat started.

You're not wrong, though there are some advantages to overwatch if you intend to use anything other than sniper rifles- you do generally get more shots out with OW than with on-turn firing, and there are perks that make it even better- including a gold perk that gives you two interrupt attacks any time you would get one.

But yeah overwatch tends to be chest shots though it usually means a properly specced merc is laser-accurate with them, especially with a gun with bipod.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Panzeh posted:

You're not wrong, though there are some advantages to overwatch if you intend to use anything other than sniper rifles- you do generally get more shots out with OW than with on-turn firing, and there are perks that make it even better- including a gold perk that gives you two interrupt attacks any time you would get one.

But yeah overwatch tends to be chest shots though it usually means a properly specced merc is laser-accurate with them, especially with a gun with bipod.

I actually did just test it. Having a machine gunner on overwatch let me get a couple bursts off that did okay damage. Given that they didn't have much cover, it likely would have been the same as manually firing. The perks may work in its favor.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Burns posted:

Gun range and size of the circle is really all the info you need. The smaller the circle, the more likely a shot will connect.

The circle typically reflects more how many aim levels you have, not your chance to hit.

The best clue is what the merc says when you start aiming. If you don't have a good chance to hit, they'll say something pessimistic like "Not even if the spirits were helping". If the chance is really good, they'll say something optimistic, "they don't stand a chance"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sometimes when you shoot an enemy they'll get a free hit back at you, any way to tell that is coming or just have to learn that knife guys have shotgun reacts, etc.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Elendil004 posted:

Sometimes when you shoot an enemy they'll get a free hit back at you, any way to tell that is coming or just have to learn that knife guys have shotgun reacts, etc.

I don't think there's any indication other than knowing certain troops tend to have that perk, yeah.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

androo posted:

I actually did just test it. Having a machine gunner on overwatch let me get a couple bursts off that did okay damage. Given that they didn't have much cover, it likely would have been the same as manually firing. The perks may work in its favor.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, right now it generally seems optimal to just have six people with rifles for most situations, and the rest you can handle with whatever random crap you've looted. The 75% burst mod really helps make assault rifles feel good.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, right now it generally seems optimal to just have six people with rifles for most situations, and the rest you can handle with whatever random crap you've looted. The 75% burst mod really helps make assault rifles feel good.

I'm actually gonna give it a go now that I think of it. Anyone got a link handy to that mod?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

I’m using that, and actually liking a couple of SMGs in the squad. Extended barrel means that at short to medium range they’re still pretty accurate, and usually it’s only 4ap per burst. 9mm ammo is everywhere too.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

How was weapon balance in JA2? I have no recollection of it, other than I think dual pistols were better than they are in JA3

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

TheWeedNumber posted:

I'm actually gonna give it a go now that I think of it. Anyone got a link handy to that mod?

This one, I think:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3006243189&searchtext=

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Flavahbeast posted:

How was weapon balance in JA2? I have no recollection of it, other than I think dual pistols were better than they are in JA3

I recall it being AR and MGs as best. Once you got your first 25+ range weapon, it was a gamechanger. I havent played vanilla in over a decade tho so may be misremembering. Sniper rifles sucked tho because their low RoF due to AP cost just didnt justify em.

Night ops + UV goggle silenced dual wield SMG guys may have been a thing too? But maybe not, I remember never being good enough to reliably make em work.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

Lategame (Grumm/Meduna) it was FALs, M14s, HK21s and maybe a M24. Anything 7.62x51 basically. P90s were also good but you weren't guaranteed finding any.

In 1.13 it's pretty much the same, though with Scar-Hs with long barrels and .338 snipers. Pistols and SMGs are sorta viable with AET ammo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

As I recall end game 1.13 was all about DMRs or Snipers, to pop as many melons in a single hit as possible, and an lmg or two to cut down the chaff that made it too close to the squad.

Optional: 2nd squad in sector with a mortar to blast any opportunistic grouping of enemies out of existence.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TheWeedNumber posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3006243189

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

androo posted:

Honestly I think LMGs might actually be a bit overpowered since it seems like it's not even that difficult to turn those overwatch shots into laser beams. I had Wolf with an LMG in my game and he would wipe out entire groups of enemies on their own turn by just setting up with the overwatch cone over them and tearing each one apart whenever they tried to do something. He ended up with the most kills of anyone in my team despite also having Barry going nuts with shaped charges and both Kalyna and Raven popping heads constantly with sniper rifles.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How do you tell which environmental objects will explode? I tossed a grenade at a group of bad guys and a land mine thinking the mine would explode too but it did not.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Popete posted:

How do you tell which environmental objects will explode? I tossed a grenade at a group of bad guys and a land mine thinking the mine would explode too but it did not.

do they get highlighted or turn red at all?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

feels good man

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
How morale works? I just realized some of my guys (not all) are with -1, -2 AP modifiers from low morale and I have no idea why

Is there any place where I can see the reason?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

How morale works? I just realized some of my guys (not all) are with -1, -2 AP modifiers from low morale and I have no idea why

Is there any place where I can see the reason?

Base morale comes from the overall team morale which you can see at the top and will get notifications about when it goes up or down. A merc's individual morale can then be modified by being with other mercs they like or dislike (I think it's just -1 per disliked merc, +1 per liked merc, I don't know if there's ranges). So if you're at negatives even when the team morale is neutral you probably have a bunch of people that hate each other working together. As far as I could tell there's nowhere that gives a detailed breakdown so you just kind of have to go off their dialogue to figure out how they feel about each other.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Finished the game today on Commando, got I think the best ending except for recovering the green diamond. I did Major last, but I think he's supposed to be the first you do judging by the difficulty. Also there's a sweet .50 cal rifle nearby that I didn't get to use much, though that might be randomized. Next time it might be interesting to recruit Spike as soon as possible and see their unique dialog.

My squad for most of the game:

IMP - Dragunov then .50 cal at the very end. Stats kinda trash, next time I won't waste points on useless skills.
Larry - G36 with underslung grenades. I made him lug around an RPG but never got to use it.
Livewire - PSG-1 - mechanic MVP and god-tier special ability. It's almost like playing easy mode honestly.
Dr. Q - absolute murder machine with the machette before the melee fix. After the fix still kinda insane with all the mobility perks.
Buns, later swapped for Raider as third sniper. Winchester is probably my favorite sniper rifle - uses ammo that is not eaten up by any full auto weapon, and with good agility can fire two aimed shots a turn.
Steroid as heavy machine gunner. Later swapped for Fauda when I got tired of him. Honestly I didn't get much mileage out of MGs, but it's nice to have a high-str character to carry extra equipment and break open boxes when I'm out of lockpicks.

Got Pierre close to the end of the game, but he's kinda trash and boring. Flay seemed interesting, but I found him much too late. I'll force myself to side with Smiley next time, because partnering with Boss Blaubert doesn't get you that much in the end - just an increased diamond mine income when I was already swimming in money. Also I'll have to try and save Biff.

Game good.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Base morale comes from the overall team morale which you can see at the top and will get notifications about when it goes up or down. A merc's individual morale can then be modified by being with other mercs they like or dislike (I think it's just -1 per disliked merc, +1 per liked merc, I don't know if there's ranges). So if you're at negatives even when the team morale is neutral you probably have a bunch of people that hate each other working together. As far as I could tell there's nowhere that gives a detailed breakdown so you just kind of have to go off their dialogue to figure out how they feel about each other.

I have no idea, and I must have missed somehow the notifications

Weirdly the worst in morale is Omryn, who according to that table in the posted here doesn’t likes or dislikes anybody

edit: and it seems a pretty big miss to not have any way to check the reason behind a modifier like that, not even a tooltip somewhere. That’s not something they needed to bring back from the 90s

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 30, 2023

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Is there any disadvantage loot wise to using explosives? I’ve really started going nuts with Barry’s charges and have been gibbing dudes left and right

Explosives absolutely can destroy loot in the environment, including dropped items, placed items (a gun on a table), or loot interactables.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There are a few other merc specific situational factors that can affect morale - checking in-game it looks like Omryn has the claustrophobic trait (Vicki has the same one) that gives -1 morale for being in underground areas, so that might be it as well.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

How are people handling AP ammo after you start facing armored enemies? I just set up one of my squads to pump it out from a town with a bench but not sure if you start to find it organically. I think this setup will work but having someone run it across the map doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There are a few other merc specific situational factors that can affect morale - checking in-game it looks like Omryn has the claustrophobic trait (Vicki has the same one) that gives -1 morale for being in underground areas, so that might be it as well.

It inst that either, Im not underground

edit: Omryn is with -3 AP (abysmal), Barry and Igor -2, my IMP -1

I have no idea about any

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 31, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Omryn loving sucks lol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

androo posted:

How are people handling AP ammo after you start facing armored enemies? I just set up one of my squads to pump it out from a town with a bench but not sure if you start to find it organically. I think this setup will work but having someone run it across the map doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

You definitely need to craft it if you want any usable amount.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

androo posted:

Use Kalyna's ability to ignore their armor and blast a hollow point round right into an eye. :v:

That, explosives, and volume of fire. I've been pretty sparing with my AP ammo so far, giving it only to folks shooting single fire.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Elias_Maluco posted:

It inst that either, Im not underground

edit: Omryn is with -3 AP (abysmal), Barry and Igor -2, my IMP -1

I have no idea about any

Did you loot the mass grave on Ernie tutorial island? That gives a morale penalty for about a month. Also it affects religious MERCs more strongly.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

ccubed posted:

Did you loot the mass grave on Ernie tutorial island? That gives a morale penalty for about a month. Also it affects religious MERCs more strongly.

From what I can tell basically any story choice that says it might upset some of your mercs means it will upset all of them quiet a bit. Maybe not the psycho ones?

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
I actually split squad and sent everyone to a different zone, then sent Kalyna to loot the grave and she didn't get a morale penalty. Possibly because she has Optimist perk?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How do I get good? My first two games have been false starts, my latest one I went bankrupt before getting to the mainland.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

androo posted:

You should use hollow point as much as you can early on while it still works, and then it's mostly a sniper-only type round after a while.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Why do I have to keep popping this Mouse goal to get all groin shot kills during assaults on forts or cities, and not when I'm bushwacking a patrol of 5 or 6 dudes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

androo posted:

You can find it but it's unreliable. In my experience I found about as much as I needed but there would be times where I would run dry on AP ammo of one caliber or another. I was also playing on First Blood though; I'm not sure if armoured enemies are more common on higher difficulties but I did find that even right into the end of the game, enemies with light helmets or no helmet at all were pretty common so standard ammo was fine to carry me through most fights so long as I was going for headshots.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
loving gently caress off, deffo wanting a mod that removes the retaliation perk from shotgun brutes now. Love to get loving destroyed by two shotgun blasts because a burst fire volley into some rear end in a top hat's head doesn't kill them and they get to fire back twice and always hit because of their shotties.

Honestly shouldn't be too hard since I'm running a mod that disables the random chance to prone perk for enemies too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ccubed posted:

I think I did lol

Anyway I decided to restart the game, made too many mistakes

Choose a party a bit different this time, with Grizzly instead of Omryn. Im blasting through the first sectors quite easily now that I had some experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lol, i did the entire col fort by just chilling on a roof with 6 snipers while blood with a knife + steroid and my imp shredded anyone who got close with lmgs.

I'm definitely gonna have to start using some 9mm stuff for now and craft later, but holy lol, everything that popped its head out died. Anything that didn't got barry tube'd