Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

run on sentience posted:

Post the list or gently caress off out of this thread. A comment that disgusting doesn't deserve "serious" discussion.

Why do I have "gently caress off" when poo poo like this is fine?

Bleck posted:

Because they 1. are the lawmakers, and 2. we don't hang enough of them

If Greyjoy or Exxon can come explain why it is ok to call for the deaths of certain classes of people but not others ITT, I'll accept it.

Oxyclean posted:

The impression I got from MikeC's post was they were saying "people the general population are generally more okay with being killed by cops." You know, like how police will choke out a homeless person and there's maybe some outrage from the left and then nothing really comes with it. Vs the reaction you see if a cop shoots a little white kid.

I dunno, maybe MikeC genuinely thinks there's right people for cops to kill, but it just sounds like the typical sarcasm we use to talk about police violence.

My comment was pointed at a certain subsection of posters in this thread who take every opportunity to make cops out to be murderers without remorse and who seek every opportunity to take life. Yes obviously it was sarcastic just as (I hope) Bleck is sarcastic about hanging landords over an AC dispute.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I am not bleck, for the record, and while I despise landlords I don't think we should be hanging anyone

also post the list

acumen fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 31, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MikeC posted:

If Greyjoy or Exxon can come explain why it is ok to call for the deaths of certain classes of people but not others ITT, I'll accept it.

My comment was pointed at a certain subsection of posters in this thread who take every opportunity to make cops out to be murderers without remorse and who seek every opportunity to take life. Yes obviously it was sarcastic just as (I hope) Bleck is sarcastic about hanging landords over an AC dispute.
I mean, landlords aren't ever actually going to get hung. They get away with making things worse for normal people and never suffer meaningful consequence. It's why you get people venting in the way they do.

And police are much the same. I don't think every last one of them is bloodthirsty and without remorse, but they basically suffer no meaningful consequences for inflicting violence upon normal people. Once in awhile they do something good, like stopping other violence, but for some reason people get hung up thinking the rest of the poo poo they do is a needed sacrifice in order to get the "good" part of what they do.

I feel like it should be pretty obvious why people are more comfortable with sarcastic calls of violence against one class with power over classes that do not have power.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Hanged

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

this is class violence

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Class? I didn't even graduate!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
So far my observations of this thread have been thus:

Acceptable bloodthirst posting:

- Landlords
- Cops

Unacceptable bloodthirst posting:

- Conservative voters

Disclaimer: All violence is wrong and the only legitimate way to voice disagreement with one another is through civilized debate leading to the optimal results delivered by our democratic process.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I/we generally give exxon a pretty free hand in moderating this thread. I haven't been checking it a whole lot lately even by my normal standards, just happened to click it as the festivities began.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The only people that should be killed by cops are those who are actively trying to kill those cops or bystanders and can't be stopped by reasonable alternative measures ie. They have a gun and are using it and won't stop when the police show up. The problem is the cops have and still kill and abuse a lot more people than falls into that category, on top of having been the tools used to enforce genocidal policies in this country and injustices against lower socioeconomic classes. Despite that, I don't think people should be calling for cop death and dekulakization of landlords and corpos, even ironically, but maybe that's just me.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
People treat violence against powerful people that almost never happens differently than violence against powerless people that routinely happens. Nothing odd about that.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MikeC posted:

why it is ok to call for the deaths of certain classes of people but not others ITT

I don't consider landlords to be people

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Mederlock posted:

The only people that should be killed by cops are those who are actively trying to kill those cops or bystanders and can't be stopped by reasonable alternative measures ie. They have a gun and are using it and won't stop when the police show up. The problem is the cops have and still kill and abuse a lot more people than falls into that category, on top of having been the tools used to enforce genocidal policies in this country and injustices against lower socioeconomic classes. Despite that, I don't think people should be calling for cop death and dekulakization of landlords and corpos, even ironically, but maybe that's just me.

While I agree with the first part of this post, I think we do need to remember that the police are merely enforcing the laws that are created by our government which is chosen by the people. If any of them are behaving outside those boundaries, they would simply be found guilty of being in violation by our court system and an appropriate remedy is applied. There really isn't a problem here. If you believe that the laws are not good you will have a chance to voice your opinion as soon as the next election and I encourage you to do so!

E: also Mike C should not post the list. It could be in violation of his charter rights against self incrimination vis-a-vis risk of summary probation. At least until we have an exhaustive list of who it is and is not ok to advocate for violence against.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 31, 2023

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Part of my ideal policing system borrows from the UK and keeps armed police separate. We don’t need armed officers running photo radar and traffic snags.

Slice off all that poo poo and have all armed response be the purview of EXTREMELY ELITE units that do nothing but armed response and training.

This would have to be part of huge overhaul including housing, social services, and gun control, but I think the guys shooting people/tackling people should be absolute deadeyes. There is zero chance that dog wasn’t shot by his own cop owners, just like most K9 fatalities.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

StoicRomance posted:

Part of my ideal policing system borrows from the UK and keeps armed police separate. We don’t need armed officers running photo radar and traffic snags.

Slice off all that poo poo and have all armed response be the purview of EXTREMELY ELITE units that do nothing but armed response and training.

This would have to be part of huge overhaul including housing, social services, and gun control, but I think the guys shooting people/tackling people should be absolute deadeyes. There is zero chance that dog wasn’t shot by his own cop owners, just like most K9 fatalities.

That's not a bad start, even if the other policing problems remain at least less people die if traffic stops and suicide prevention calls don't involve anyone with a gun. We would of course have to be quite specific where the bar is for bringing in someone with a weapon. If someone is say attacking or threatening people with a knife or vehicle you need a gun. If the cops have been ordered to remove a bunch of people illegally occupying a space and there's a reasonable potential someone in that crowd is armed, that gets complicated.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MikeC posted:

I accept that your quip about murder victims deserving it was insincere, in which case it was merely tasteless and unfunny instead of bloodthirsty.

As for defending the honour of landlords, as other people have noted, there is a difference between good things and bad. I will presume that references to dekulakization are equally ironic until a landlord actually dies from a pecuniary hate incident or someone insists that they are entirely sincere in their desire to murder them all (as PT6A did re: morons). If that happens I'll dutifully issue the requisite probes and we can pat ourselves on the backs about how the posting justice systems is working as intended.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

That makes perfect sense. Idly wishing that “someone” would hang landlords or that a deadly disease would kill conservative voters is obviously not a direct threat to anyone, and even the most lay among us can see that. I personally find it tacky because I wish to live in a more evolved, non-violent, society, but sometimes you have to manage with what you have.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bleck posted:

You were talking about cops in the specific context of adding them to subways to alter people's perception of how safe they are on the subway, and I was implying that the reasons they are ineffective on the subway are also the same reasons they are ineffective in general, please try to keep up

Did I say or imply that wasn’t applicable to cops in general?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

StoicRomance posted:

Not gonna lie when I first read that headline I assumed some dude shot at a cop because that cop shot his dog.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Even my adorable children who love animals with every fiber of their being think that having a parade for a dead police dog was stupid.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

De-escalation training: 0$
Officer Background checks: 10$
Firearms and equipment: 1,000,000$
Parades for Police dogs killed by officers: 5,000,000$

please help our police organization we're underfunded

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Don’t forget the police tank they all seem to be obsessed with

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Don’t forget the police tank they all seem to be obsessed with

all hail brandon-tank

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Slotducks posted:

all hail brandon-tank

Door on the left.

Resistance

Door on the right.

is Futile.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

De-escalation training: 0$
Officer Background checks: 10$
Firearms and equipment: 1,000,000$
Parades for Police dogs killed by officers: 5,000,000$

please help our police organization we're underfunded

Special Olympics for Police: 7,000,000$

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Door on the left.

Resistance

Door on the right.

is Futile.

i never noticed the glory hole on the passenger side door til just now - cute

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Slotducks posted:

all hail brandon-tank

I assume they need that just in case things get too rowdy at "Joe Beeverz"?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Slotducks posted:

i never noticed the glory hole on the passenger side door til just now - cute

Oh my.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
After the events of the Brandon Beatdown the police swore to never again be without a tank

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

I assume they need that just in case things get too rowdy at "Joe Beeverz"?

last time the Wheat Kings won the Ed Chynoweth Cup things got a little rowdy so they upped their tank budget for future Ed Chynoweth Cup scenarios

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Deploying the TPS 4th Armoured Division when Fishbowl Friday at the Cactus Club gets out of hand

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I don’t want landlords killed. I just want their income properties expropriated and used for socialized subsidized housing funded by higher taxes on the rich :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone hoarding properties, or assets in excess of one billion dollars should get the electric chair

This sounds horrible, except that there is an incredibly straightforward and simple solution (don’t hoard properties and wealth like a loving dragon)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The ultra wealthy can afford to buy their own electric chairs, I don't see why they should be subsidized.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Shofixti posted:

I don’t want landlords killed. I just want their income properties expropriated and used for socialized subsidized housing funded by higher taxes on the rich :shrug:

How are the poor things supposed to eat without the income from the one thing they’re good at (social parasitisim)? Without it, they’re as good as dead

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Adam Smith thought landlording was bullshit and you should too.

Extinguishing rentiers is what the father of capitalism would have wanted.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

Orthanc6 posted:

That's not a bad start, even if the other policing problems remain at least less people die if traffic stops and suicide prevention calls don't involve anyone with a gun. We would of course have to be quite specific where the bar is for bringing in someone with a weapon. If someone is say attacking or threatening people with a knife or vehicle you need a gun. If the cops have been ordered to remove a bunch of people illegally occupying a space and there's a reasonable potential someone in that crowd is armed, that gets complicated.

Yeah you nailed it. UK police do this swarming tactic with body-sized shields for people with bladed weapons that I think could get some mileage here. Not sure if you could convince people to try this kind of reform in North America because we just drown in guns.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
We have the idea that the police are uniquely brave for going into danger, but then we let them use deadly force to minimize any risk to themselves. To the point that 90 year old dementia patients get shot or tased for shuffling toward cops with a knife, or any random person could be "reaching for something."

It is totally possible to respond to knives without resorting to guns. We should be ok with that even if it increased risk to cops, which I don't believe it necessarily would.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they're not really risking anything if they shoot knife people with guns. Buncha pussies.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yeah they're not really risking anything if they shoot knife people with guns. Buncha pussies.

Policing is not a particularly dangerous job, and other places do actually train and practice to handle knives without guns.

So, yeah. Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
https://rabble.ca/columnists/whats-the-big-deal-about-olivia-chow-biking-to-city-hall-anyways/

😩 She's going to turn TTC trains and busses into bike lanes and BCV(bike carrying vehicles) lanes...