Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

bull3964 posted:

Phone Settings - Apps - Click on app - Notification - Notification Categories - Click on the one you want to change.

That's OneUi 5.1 on the S23U but it should be similar.

Thank you so much! I didn't realize that after Notification Categories, I could "click into" in order to modify. But is it the case that you can only change each category, one at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KVeezy3 posted:

But is it the case that you can only change each category, one at a time?

Correct.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so a couple of months ago i was complaining about my pixel 7 overheating like crazy. i THOUGHT we had a solution with a May update, and it seemed like it helped for a little while. but...then it started up again. and it got to the point where it was getting ridiculous. like, i literally couldn't hold it in my hand anymore cause it started to burn.

so anyway, i decided to finally call google (admittedly something i shoulda done months ago) and they're giving me a replacement, which is nice i guess. hopefully this new one won't have any issues. in addition to the overheating, the battery life honestly sucked too. it was no better than my 3 year old 3a (this was also quite annoying cause improved battery life was one of the main reasons i bothered to upgrade).

if this new one has the same problems, i'm probably just gonna trade it in for a different brand

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mr Interweb posted:

if this new one has the same problems, i'm probably just gonna trade it in for a different brand

Mine gets hot during heavy use of Lightroom and a few games but not like that and battery has been pretty solid.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Appreciate your help, thank you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No huge surprises out of the Galaxy Unpacked event. It looks like with Good Lock you'll be able to run any app on the external screen of the Flip 5.

The Fold 5 is basically a Fold 4 with a fold flat hinge and a SD8 Gen 2 instead of SD8+ Gen 1, that's it. Given that the best trade in deal for the to get a Fold 5 is only $1000 off (leaving you with $799 to pay) there's pretty much zero reason for anyone with a Fold 4 to upgrade to the Fold 5. I won't be (not to mention the fact that I'm happier with the Pixel Fold than the Fold 4.)

That said, i will be trading in the Flip 4 to Flip 5 since the trade in values are still a no brainer there. $900 off a $999 phone. There are more than $100 worth of upgrades for the Flip 5, I'm just annoyed they went back to glossy back glass. The Flip, oddly enough, has been the best value device I've had due to deals. I got the Flip 3 originally for free from T-Mobile on trade of an old Pixel 4a. Flip 3 to Flip 4 similarly was only $99 last year.

Cameras on both are unchanged outside out possibly a new antireflective coating and the updated processing from the SD8 Gen 2 DSP.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I closed the pre-order page on the Fold 5 because my company is in the midst of a shake-up and I want to make sure I still have a job at the end of the quarter.

They're only offering $400 for my P6P on trade, so I'll just eat that, and maybe I'll catch a good Black Friday sale.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

AlexDeGruven posted:

I closed the pre-order page on the Fold 5 because my company is in the midst of a shake-up and I want to make sure I still have a job at the end of the quarter.

They're only offering $400 for my P6P on trade, so I'll just eat that, and maybe I'll catch a good Black Friday sale.

poo poo, fingers crossed for you :(

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

bull3964 posted:

No huge surprises out of the Galaxy Unpacked event. It looks like with Good Lock you'll be able to run any app on the external screen of the Flip 5.

The Fold 5 is basically a Fold 4 with a fold flat hinge and a SD8 Gen 2 instead of SD8+ Gen 1, that's it. Given that the best trade in deal for the to get a Fold 5 is only $1000 off (leaving you with $799 to pay) there's pretty much zero reason for anyone with a Fold 4 to upgrade to the Fold 5. I won't be (not to mention the fact that I'm happier with the Pixel Fold than the Fold 4.)

That said, i will be trading in the Flip 4 to Flip 5 since the trade in values are still a no brainer there. $900 off a $999 phone. There are more than $100 worth of upgrades for the Flip 5, I'm just annoyed they went back to glossy back glass. The Flip, oddly enough, has been the best value device I've had due to deals. I got the Flip 3 originally for free from T-Mobile on trade of an old Pixel 4a. Flip 3 to Flip 4 similarly was only $99 last year.

Cameras on both are unchanged outside out possibly a new antireflective coating and the updated processing from the SD8 Gen 2 DSP.

Upgrading came out to $50 for me after the preorder coupon, nice!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

WattsvilleBlues posted:

poo poo, fingers crossed for you :(

Ehh, I'm critical infrastructure, so even though I'm a high earner and a potential good fit, they need me more than my chunk of the payroll.

Still not a fun situation at the moment, though.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Is there any way to get wifi credentials into my phone without going into the wifif settings on the phone? It's a TCL 10 PRO, had it for a bit over two years. After a couple months of owning it I couldn't open the wifi settings anymore, it just crashes back to the home screen. I tried a factory reset, didn't work, and no update since has changed it. Searching around found other people with the same problem but no solutions. Phone says I'm on Android version 11, TCL UI v3.0.8AIA

So yeah, is there any way to get my home(or anywhere else's) wifi credentials into my phone's settings, without opening the settings?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Scanning a QR with the camera app works on a lot of phones. I just tried it with an S23U ultra and all I had to do was open the camera app and bring the qr code into the field of view of the camera and it asked to add the network.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Scanning a QR with the camera app works on a lot of phones. I just tried it with an S23U ultra and all I had to do was open the camera app and bring the qr code into the field of view of the camera and it asked to add the network.

Just tried, almost worked. Got "From android 10, to protect user's privacy, Google recommends you to connect manually" and then it tells me to copy and paste the credentials it just scanned into my settings.

Edit: oh nevermind I was able to get it to work, thanks!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is the Pixel Fold ever going to be an Pixel Pass option?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I just shattered my screen on my Pixel 5 and was looking at options to update but like nothing is remotely piquing my interest in any shape or form.

You guys ever get this?

I can't really hold out for a couple of months for the P8, so I'll probably just end up getting the P7a, but man it's really depressing trying to find any nice cases either.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Puddin posted:

So I just shattered my screen on my Pixel 5 and was looking at options to update but like nothing is remotely piquing my interest in any shape or form.

You guys ever get this?

I can't really hold out for a couple of months for the P8, so I'll probably just end up getting the P7a, but man it's really depressing trying to find any nice cases either.

At least somewhat. The more I have learned about phones the last couple years, the fewer options I feel like I have available. I've gotten more clear about what I want from a phone, which has put me into a spot where I feel like Pixels are my only option. I feel like a flip phone would be a good form factor for me, but given the aforementioned winnowing of choices I feel like I just have to wait. I'm really happy with my Pixel 6, so luckily feel no real pressure to change phones right now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Puddin posted:

You guys ever get this?

Don't suppose you're in the UK? Or do you have insurance?

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Puddin posted:

You guys ever get this?

I feel you buddy. I went from Pixel 5 to Pixel 7a and have to say it's been a disappointment with poor battery life and just generally feeling worse to hold. I might trade it in for a Pixel 8 when that comes out or maybe even try a non-pixel phone for once.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

HelixFox posted:

I feel you buddy. I went from Pixel 5 to Pixel 7a and have to say it's been a disappointment with poor battery life and just generally feeling worse to hold. I might trade it in for a Pixel 8 when that comes out or maybe even try a non-pixel phone for once.

The battery life of those midrange SoCs is unbeatable. What else makes it feel worse though?

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The battery life of those midrange SoCs is unbeatable. What else makes it feel worse though?

The 7a has a plastic back, but it's a smooth plastic that I guess is meant to imitate the glass back of the 7. It feels quite rubbery and (IMO) fairly unpleasant to hold. I also really miss the fingerprint sensor being on the back—aside from not working as well in general, the front sensor means less space for notifications on the lock screen, which is annoying.

Is there a phone with a midrange SoC but premium build materials? That would be my ideal device.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Don't suppose you're in the UK? Or do you have insurance?

I do but I was thinking about trying the iFixit screen repair kit.

HelixFox posted:

I briefly thought that I might go back to the galaxy range, (the A54 doesn't look too bad for a mid-range), but I really don't want to move away from stock android again.

In all honesty I'll probably try and find a 7/7a on special.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a way to make the phone not lose the USB connection to the PC during a file transfer when the screen goes to sleep?

Other than setting the screen timeout to 5+ minutes?

Why are file transfers not handled like video playback and just keep the screen on?

:iiam:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

HelixFox posted:

The 7a has a plastic back, but it's a smooth plastic that I guess is meant to imitate the glass back of the 7. It feels quite rubbery and (IMO) fairly unpleasant to hold. I also really miss the fingerprint sensor being on the back—aside from not working as well in general, the front sensor means less space for notifications on the lock screen, which is annoying.

Is there a phone with a midrange SoC but premium build materials? That would be my ideal device.

I haven't felt a premium phone recently, but don't they all feel bad to hold since wireless charging became popular?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

VictualSquid posted:

I haven't felt a premium phone recently, but don't they all feel bad to hold since wireless charging became popular?

Only if you put a case on them.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The worst part about the Pixel series is all the glossy backs

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

VictualSquid posted:

what in the world

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

VictualSquid posted:

I don't know about feeling bad, but glass is a terrible material for the back of the phone, in my opinion, if for no other reason than durability. Bring back the resin material the Pixel 5 had!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Glass backs are awful no matter badly the marketing wants you to believe otherwise. :colbert:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
The Xperia 1 V is the only glass-backed phone I've ever held that feels good without a case. It's textured. Too bad it is $1,400 and only comes with 2 years of software support. It also took Sony like 4 years to get temp mgmt under control, so this looks to be the first Xperia that can record @ 4k without overheating after a few minutes. Not nearly as big of an issue, but still frustrating: the silver color is not available to purchase with NA LTE bands supported.

I'm still nursing a Pixel 3 because it doesn't feel like there have been many (personally) useful advances in phones since 2018. 5g? Why? So I can accidentally burn through all my data faster? Kill the battery off faster switching between LTE and 5g constantly? Maybe if I were loaded and could afford non-mvno unlimited plans from one of the three remaining US carriers.

I hate in-screen fingerprint readers almost as much as touchscreens themselves. All the phones are freakin huge now, too. Kept reading about the "compact" Zenfone 10 and compared sizes, only to discover it's almost identical in size to the Pixel 3. I'm not remotely interested in going to a larger Pixel 7 with battery life that rivals my 5-year-old P3.

It's really depressing to look at phone trade-ins, too. Not at all because the P3 only fetches $30, but because we're down to just Apple, Samsung, and Google. Motorola is still alive and kicking, but I don't see their phones available for trade-in, typically. Feels like I have to buy a full-priced phone once every few years primarily to subsidize people's phones who upgrade yearly. For me, it's $1,000 for this phone. For you, the person who gets a new one yearly, it is $100.

From the late 90s through about 2013, state-of-the-art mobile tech was about $200-300/device and we had dozens of companies making them. Nokia, Kyocera, HTC, Blackberry, LG.... I miss choices. I also miss physical keyboards. Anyway thanks for coming to this rendition of "aging goon yells at the clouds."

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I saved $100+ on two occasions buying used phones off eBay to trade in. It's incredibly stupid but here we are.

The second one I got was in pretty good condition too, basically just bad scuffing on the back that probably wouldn't have been there had the previous owner used a half-decent case.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does anyone like curved front screens because I hate them and I don't know if it's one of those "duh of course we all hate them" things or if I am an outlier and possibly a whiny baby.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

many people hate them and we're reaching the point where manufacturers are responding to the backlash and ditching them now

apparently the pixel 8 pro will have flat glass

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bloodplay it again posted:

Motorola is still alive and kicking, but I don't see their phones available for trade-in, typically.

When you drop the ball hard on keeping your phones up to date, they are worthless on the secondary market which makes them near worthless for trade.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of trade-ins apparently samsung has too many models because they forgot to put my S21 FE on the list

they'll take an S20 FE, but not an S21 FE

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

YggiDee posted:

Does anyone like curved front screens because I hate them and I don't know if it's one of those "duh of course we all hate them" things or if I am an outlier and possibly a whiny baby.

It can look and feel awesome, but it's just way too fragile.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They mostly feel like I have no way to safely hold my phone without accidentally tapping things and I have to get a phone case, and now I *also* have problems tapping things because it extends past the curve and bumps right up against the case. It's like "what if we saved paper by removing all the margins from a book" then you get fingerprints all over the text, rear end in a top hat!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

YggiDee posted:

They mostly feel like I have no way to safely hold my phone without accidentally tapping things and I have to get a phone case, and now I *also* have problems tapping things because it extends past the curve and bumps right up against the case. It's like "what if we saved paper by removing all the margins from a book" then you get fingerprints all over the text, rear end in a top hat!

Yeah, touchscreens need some kind of border, as far as I'm concerned. My newer Chromebook 2-in-1 has such thin bezels it actually makes using it as a tablet a little harder because it's too easy to accidentally register a tap just by holding it. I've avoided curved screen phones for that reason, as well as the display issues and ergonomics.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

isndl posted:

Glass backs are awful no matter badly the marketing wants you to believe otherwise. :colbert:

the nexus 4 back was worth it

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I swear to god I heard one youtuber said the Xperia 1 V has "chunky bezels," because it has symmetrical top and bottom bezels to avoid a hole punch camera and to house front firing speakers. These bezels are barely there. Curved screens and front glass that flows into the sides of devices suck too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Bring back the Moto Droid carbon fiber bodies.

edit: wait, I think it was actually Kevlar in epoxy. What ever it was, it was the best.