Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

This is a real long shot based on how fuzzy my memories are, but goons have done more with less.

There was a game my brother and I rented way way back that we got really hooked on and marathoned for like a full day. I barely remember it now, but to the best of my knowledge:
- SNES (outside chance of being on the Genesis, but I'm almost positive it's SNES) swords-and-magic fantasy action game
- overhead or isometric perspective
- two player co-op? (probably, but not guaranteed)
- at some point (title screen? between levels? when you leveled up? when you beat it? gently caress if I know) it'd show you art of what I assume to be your character; I just remember a fantasy protagonist looking guy with a sword taking up most of the screen before fading out into gameplay or maybe the main menu.

I don't think it's Lagoon. That's pretty much all I have to go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Mr. Baps posted:

This is a real long shot based on how fuzzy my memories are, but goons have done more with less.

There was a game my brother and I rented way way back that we got really hooked on and marathoned for like a full day. I barely remember it now, but to the best of my knowledge:
- SNES (outside chance of being on the Genesis, but I'm almost positive it's SNES) swords-and-magic fantasy action game
- overhead or isometric perspective
- two player co-op? (probably, but not guaranteed)
- at some point (title screen? between levels? when you leveled up? when you beat it? gently caress if I know) it'd show you art of what I assume to be your character; I just remember a fantasy protagonist looking guy with a sword taking up most of the screen before fading out into gameplay or maybe the main menu.

I don't think it's Lagoon. That's pretty much all I have to go on.

It's Genesis, but Sword of Sodan?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q35onoe8i60&t=271s

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It wasn't King Arthur and the Knights of Justice was it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEdP96V5yrw

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

emSparkly posted:

A game with vector graphics where the player character is a stick figure. I swear it was a real vector graphics based game and not one stylized to look that way. So it's probably old as dirt.

I hope it's a real game and not something I saw on a video.

Not a lot to go on, so I'll throw out Major Havoc as a guess, because it's a cool vector game and your character is pretty stick like in anything vector based. It's a rad one imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94j4u6ztiKc

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

In the event it was a made up non-game, maybe one of the Xiao Xiao videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcTeyLXRSVA

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FFT posted:

It's definitely not this, but I found this while looking around and somehow never heard about it before now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdAj3DQAUYM

Especially after just recently playing all the way through Dave the Diver it seems up my alley.

The sequel's kickstarter trailer starts in a pool hall (or, at least, there is a pool table), even:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CVJ6fjrZI0

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Those games look loving awesome.

It is loving awesome. It's probably the best lover letter game I have ever played (haven't played the sequel, but the first one rules.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Lowen SoDium posted:

It is loving awesome. It's probably the best lover letter game I have ever played (haven't played the sequel, but the first one rules.

I couldn't get past the drinking contest to decide who gets to drive the rally car.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
A$3 right now too, so that's a purchase. I want to get back into couch coop gaming with a friend and that looks like a perfect starter.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ms-dos game from the 80s, extremely dwarf-fortress-rear end graphics

a forest-fire-fighting simulator

far more primitive than firestorm, which dominates the relevant search results

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Crossposting from the Android games thread:

Help, android thread! I'm looking for a game I used to have installed. It was a grid, and I want to say it was very grey. On the outside of the grid, on one side, was a power source and throughout the grid were many computers. Every square on the grid had a line in a different configuration, and you could rotate them. The ultimate goal was to get power to all of the computers.

It's not a part of Simon Tantham's puzzles, btw.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hexwren posted:

ms-dos game from the 80s, extremely dwarf-fortress-rear end graphics

a forest-fire-fighting simulator

far more primitive than firestorm, which dominates the relevant search results

Fire Fighter?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Fire Fighter?

that's the one, thanks

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Crossposting from the Android games thread:

It's not a part of Simon Tantham's puzzles, btw.

Scrambled Net. Totally incompatible with modern android, but I still have it installed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadragul posted:

Scrambled Net. Totally incompatible with modern android, but I still have it installed.

Thank you! :glomp:

Edit: oh my god, you weren't kidding; how do I even get to the options screen? Or literally any menu? drat.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 13, 2023

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Thank you! :glomp:

Edit: oh my god, you weren't kidding; how do I even get to the options screen? Or literally any menu? drat.

It used the now missing fourth menu key on Android phones. I haven't investigated how to get the menu working, but I keep the app installed for nostalgia.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I have a slight moment any time someone looks for a DOS game with fire and it isn't Pyro ][.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Shadragul posted:

It used the now missing fourth menu key on Android phones. I haven't investigated how to get the menu working, but I keep the app installed for nostalgia.

It's your fault

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I remember seeing a game speedrun that I think was a metroidvania, very morose, apparently with a lot of story in it, where you're a medieval lord and in addition to fighting monsters you've got to deal with I think something about heresy and blasphemy among your own people? It looked like it had weighty moral choices to make.

I thought maybe it was Blasphemous, but it's not. Similar brooding atmosphere and ultraviolence though, I think.

Any ideas?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

I remember seeing a game speedrun that I think was a metroidvania, very morose, apparently with a lot of story in it, where you're a medieval lord and in addition to fighting monsters you've got to deal with I think something about heresy and blasphemy among your own people? It looked like it had weighty moral choices to make.

I thought maybe it was Blasphemous, but it's not. Similar brooding atmosphere and ultraviolence though, I think.

Any ideas?

Infernax maybe, if it had blocky 8-bit-style graphics

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hwurmp posted:

Infernax maybe, if it had blocky 8-bit-style graphics

That's it! Yes, I've found the speedrun for it in my browser history. Thanks!

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool
Hey.

It was a side scrolling game for windows in the mid or maybe early 00's. It was kind of a beat 'em up, but it was pretty fast and leapy if I recall. You gained experience to increase stats after you completed a level, and you could go back to a level at any time. You got more xp for combos, for beating the level quickly, and maybe picking up stars or some other macguffin.

I remember a castle wall (background) area, and there may have been fields/forest before that. There was definitely a sewer level after one of those, and the difficulty ramped up hard. There were probably different characters to choose from.

I have a feeling it was a fan made game for something else. I thought I found it on Home of the Underdogs, but I couldn't find it when I looked recently. I'm fairly sure it was a windows thing and not flash.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Totally wild guess based only on what I remember being on HOTU: Ragnarok Battle Offfline.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 30, 2023

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Dip Viscous posted:

Totally wild guess based only on what I remember being on HOTU: Ragnarok Battle Offfline.

I'll have to try it, but I think this is it! Thank you!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

If that's somehow actually it, you will totally remember the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QXwDT0pBIo

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RBO is amazing, definitely one of the best doujin games ever made.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool
Yeah, that was definitely it. Thanks, it had been bugging me for a while.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm looking for the name of a 3D dungeon crawler game from either the very late 90s or early 2000s. It was not a D&D game, it was set in the same fantasy environment though, and it was party-based. It was real-time and not turn based, though one could pause it, and it did have multiplayer. It was not entirely linear, there were some open world elements to it, but the progression to the end was linear - you started off in a green and pleasant land, went through a long dungeon, emerged at some point to a snowy place, etc. Merchants were in these inbetween areas. It was more action/combat based than story based and dialogue was minimal compared to D&D.

I think there was also an almost-identical sequel.

It wasn't a Dragon Age thing.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Maybe Dungeon Siege?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Chinook posted:

Maybe Dungeon Siege?

Yeah that was it, thanks.

Trying to think of it I kept coming up with "Dungeon Hack" which I know is a different game from much earlier - now I know why.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
"famously" adapted for the big screen by Uwe Boll, starring Jason Statham

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It was not entirely linear, there were some open world elements to it, but the progression to the end was linear -

Dungeon Siege was 99.7% linear, the closest there was to a ''side quest" was a few caves with a bit of extra loot, or an NPC who says "Tell my cousin I miss her" where the cousin just happens to be in the next town you'll visit.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looking for a specific game:
- indie platformer
- looked kinda like Mark of the Ninja, but definitely isn't that
- started with some corporate guy getting thrown out of a window(?) and when I jumped up and went to him I got a keycard/ID card(?) and an achievement that said something like "for going left where people usually go right" (pretty sure about that last part)

I have it stuck in my Steam backlog somewhere but totally forgot its name.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gunpoint

It also has an achievement called "Title Finally Relevant". The description is: "Help justify my early, not entirely wise choice of game name by holding someone at gunpoint with the Resolver."

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 9, 2023

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gynovore posted:

Dungeon Siege was 99.7% linear, the closest there was to a ''side quest" was a few caves with a bit of extra loot, or an NPC who says "Tell my cousin I miss her" where the cousin just happens to be in the next town you'll visit.

In addition to the single player campaign it also came with a huge map for the multiplayer mode that pretty much was open world. It was really cool, for the time!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Gunpoint

It also has an achievement called "Title Finally Relevant". The description is: "Help justify my early, not entirely wise choice of game name by holding someone at gunpoint with the Resolver."

Definitely not Gunpoint, as similar as the "dropping out of window" part seems. And the achievement I was talking about was literally in the first seconds of the game for checking the dude's body. Sorry for the sparse info, I fired it up as part of checking random games from my library, decided it looked fun, then promptly forgot about it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

In addition to the single player campaign it also came with a huge map for the multiplayer mode that pretty much was open world. It was really cool, for the time!

I remember reading the previews for Dungeon Siege, and how the devs were claiming that it was a truly connected world, where there were no loading screens after the initial loading of the game. If you were walking across a fallen tree that spanned a ravine and saw a cave down below you you could eventually make it down to that cave and walk right in.

Is that how it ended up working out?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Pierzak posted:

- indie platformer
- started with some corporate guy getting thrown out of a window(?) and when I jumped up and went to him I got a keycard/ID card(?) and an achievement that said something like "for going left where people usually go right" (pretty sure about that last part)

I tried feeding this into Google Bard to see if it could recognize anything, and it suggested Dandara:

quote:

The indie platformer game you are looking for is called Dandara. It is a 2D metroidvania game developed by Long Hat House and published by Raw Fury. The game was released in 2018 for Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

In Dandara, the player controls a character named Dandara, a gravity-defying warrior who must explore a floating city to stop a tyrannical queen. The game is known for its unique art style and its focus on exploration and platforming.

The game starts with Dandara being thrown out of a window. The player can then pick up a keycard from where she fell. There is an achievement in the game called "Left Hand Path" which is awarded for going left where people usually go right.
I haven't played it but I looked up a Let's Play and I think everything in that final paragraph is just completely untrue? :lol:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I tried feeding this into Google Bard to see if it could recognize anything, and it suggested Dandara:

I haven't played it but I looked up a Let's Play and I think everything in that final paragraph is just completely untrue? :lol:

ChatGPT type programs are not sources of information. Their job is to spit out text based on what's statistically likely to follow the previous words. Any accurate information they convey is merely the result of that information being present in the text they were trained on. It's like asking a bullshitter with dementia to read you the first page of google search results.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah, sometimes chatGPT can be helpful if you tell it to give ten potential answers, but for that description it was like "nope lol here's a confidently wrong answer and a list of ten popular platformers"

stringless fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pierzak posted:

- indie platformer

Katana Zero