Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

IUG posted:

I’m in the same boat where I have just “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots”. I had “At War with the Mystics” in my queue to try next. Is that one not recommended? I saw that there was a Flaming Lips thread, and saw there’s a drastic drop off in quality at a certain point.

It's very good. But also investigate the album before Yoshimi, "The Soft Bulletin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think soft bulletin is boring

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The Flaming Lips had a really good run from In a Priest Driven Ambulance to At War With the Mystics. Of those, Clouds Taste Metallic, the Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi are the ones I would direct new people towards.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Flaming Lips had a really good run from In a Priest Driven Ambulance to At War With the Mystics. Of those, Clouds Taste Metallic, the Soft Bulletin, and Yoshimi are the ones I would direct new people towards.

I’ll cosign this and add Transmissions from the Satellite Heart

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Franchescanado posted:

I’ll cosign this and add Transmissions from the Satellite Heart

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's very good. But also investigate the album before Yoshimi, "The Soft Bulletin"

I have the Flight Test EP I found at a second hand shop, so I’m doing Mystic and that EP. After that I was going to go backwards, it seems that Mystic is the furthest to go according to that other thread.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I may be in the minority but I enjoy Embryonic way more than anything else they have done post Yoshimi. I might actually enjoy it more than Yoshimi and soft bulletin but I haven’t listened to those albums in ages. I’m also a much bigger fan of their earlier stuff so take my opinion with a boulder of salt.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Same, Embryonic is weirdly under appreciated.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
As someone with a lyric from The Terror in his avatar I have to say that it isn't a bad album but it's definitely very different from Yoshimi or Mystics.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Biggie Smalls?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

He only has two albums. Ready to Die is by far the better one though Live After Death has some major hits.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
Also, his breakthrough, Party and Bullshit, is not on either of his two main albums but is a goddamn banger and may be his best work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEaPDNgUPLE

If you get totally hooked, he's got a lot of great guest verses as well.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Henchman of Santa posted:

He only has two albums. Ready to Die is by far the better one though Live After Death has some major hits.

Well hell, I didn't even look first.

I think it was Party and Bullshit that got me thinking I need to dig into him more. I think I've mostly heard his guest spots.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Ready to Die is a drat masterpiece and if you don’t have at least seven different picks for “best song on the album” (one for every day of the week) you haven’t listened to it enough yet.

Since it’s Wednesday the best song is obviously Everyday Struggle.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So I was listening to Ready to Die and stepped away from my desk while gently caress Me was playing on the speakers and boy was I alarmed that my coworkers might have overheard that

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
Thin Lizzy?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jailbreak is their best and has the big hits, but you can't go wrong with any album from 1975-79.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Also look up Live and Dangerous. Their last album, Thunder and Lightning with John Sykes on guitar, had some really good stuff too after their peak years.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Fighting is my favorite TL record (it's the one immediately before Jailbreak), and Cold Sweat, off that aforementioned Thunder & Lightning record, might be my single favorite track of theirs.

just good stuff up and down

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The best thing about listening to Thin Lizzy albums is finding out how many songs there are that you never realized were Thin Lizzy songs.

Also the lyric "tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak, somewhere in this town." Uh maybe in the vicinity of the jail?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The 1-2 punch of Bad Reputation and Johnny The Fox... ace.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I listened to Run The Jewels 4 and HOLY poo poo THIS GOES HARD. What order should I listen to the previous 3 in? And Killer Mike and El-P's solo work, too

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Junpei posted:

I listened to Run The Jewels 4 and HOLY poo poo THIS GOES HARD. What order should I listen to the previous 3 in? And Killer Mike and El-P's solo work, too

2, 3, and then 1.

2 is like a masterpiece, 3 is a follow up to a masterpiece that might be better, maybe?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

You can listen to them in any order, but my personal ranking would be 2/1/3. Then listen to R.A.P. Music, which was the Killer Mike album that El-P produced, leading to RTJ’s existence. All three El-P albums are also great but have a very different vibe. It’s weird to listen to Fantastic Damage and think that a decade or so later this guy would get significantly more famous doing goofball rhymes about his dick with a guy who pops up on Outkast albums. Those records are less “drat this goes hard” and more “drat this world is a cruel and brutal place.”

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I really love "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" and "Cancer 4 Cure". Really off-kilter records, almost a series of vignettes/short stories like the best of Aesop Rock's stuff.
Habeas Corpses off ISWYD, Tougher Colder Killer, For My Upstairs Neighbour and Stay Down off C4C are top picks.
Don't sleep (no pun) on the Cannibal Ox record El P produced either

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010
The Beatles?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'd say Rubber Soul or Revolver. If you like the more straightforward poppy sound go back in time, and if you like the more psychedelic bits go forward.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

As someone who doesn't really like them that much, I think Sgt Pepper is a really great album.
Although when I was a kid I actually loved their poppiest stuff. poo poo's good catchy as hell.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

if you don't want to start with albums, you could do worse than the red and blue compilations they put out in the seventies

but yeah, otherwise, the whole thing pivots around revolver

before, more rock and roll (rubber soul and earlier)
after, more psych (sgt. pepper and later)

there's experimentation before revolver and rock tunes afterwards, of course, but yeah

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I would almost say the Red and Blue albums might be the way to go for a beginner, since it has most if not all of the singles that made the Beatles the superstars they were on there in addition to choice album cuts. Otherwise, I'll second the Rubber Soul/Revolver recommendations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like magical mystery tour and the white album the best

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What about Django Reinhardt?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

Pick a collection, any collection.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Janet Jackson.

I do know that like, broadly she never stops being good, she just switches her sound up. I've listened to a couple of the big hits-Nasty, Escapade, Rhythm Nation, That's The Way Love Goes, Together Again.

From what I can tell, Control is funky and fun, Rhythm Nation (the album) is more industrial-y and socially conscious, and then the self-titled is sexy, and then The Velvet Rope is sad?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Pick a collection, any collection.

What's your favorite?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
R. Stevie Moore?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

ultrafilter posted:

The Complete Django Reinhardt and Quintet of the Hot Club of France Swing/HMV Sessions 1936-1948 (Mosaic)

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

NuclearPotato posted:

I would almost say the Red and Blue albums might be the way to go for a beginner, since it has most if not all of the singles that made the Beatles the superstars they were on there in addition to choice album cuts. Otherwise, I'll second the Rubber Soul/Revolver recommendations.

:yeah:

It's the gathering of singles in one place that's really nice and helped me learn the Beatles.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Celso Piña? I like groovy cumbia with a good beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ringo Starr's solo career? I've got Goodnight Vienna playing in the background atm, and is it worth it to continue?