Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
actually 70 meters is fine its around 150 meters it becomes a problem since the ocean might leak into the great lakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

Oh boy its the biosphere thread/covid thread crossover everyone was waiting for

I wonder what her username is

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

there it is

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Hubbert posted:

sir

you are a skeleton

Undead means not dead!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Koirhor posted:

actually 70 meters is fine its around 150 meters it becomes a problem since the ocean might leak into the great lakes

:hmmyes: climate change isn't real until impacts my Big Beautiful Lakes

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

:hmmyes: climate change isn't real until impacts my Big Beautiful Lakes

i too love big beautiful waterbodies

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/tonydavis987/status/1685713629356978176?s=46&t=J1lVrKOqDLGRcF29dzsWPA

I feel like the mass exodus from the sun belt won't happen until way later than anyone expects. If water limitations and month long 110+ F weather don't slow down their growth rate then neither will the first few mass heat bulb deaths.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

the concept of even one single mile of most of the east coast being battered by the surf day in and dayout is crack-pinging all alone itself

just think of how much metal and building materials and garbage and the unfathomable amount of chemicals that have been spilled on that land. the asphalt, the sewage, the carpeting, so so so much plastic.

the entire seashore will be hyper-polluted for a century or more after.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Microplastics posted:

Does building up your tolerance to heat reduce your tolerance to cold

I need to know which stat is best to put my points in.

Can I just go for tolerance to water? I think on balance that will be most useful
somebody get Wim Hof on the case!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/tonydavis987/status/1685713629356978176?s=46&t=J1lVrKOqDLGRcF29dzsWPA

I feel like the mass exodus from the sun belt won't happen until way later than anyone expects. If water limitations and month long 110+ F weather don't slow down their growth rate then neither will the first few mass heat bulb deaths.

There will be nobody living there and houses still being built

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Crazypoops posted:

There will be nobody living there and houses still being built

houses that noone lives in are more valuable because theres no risk of anyone dying in them, which tends to lower the value of a home

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

It was in the documentary arrested development

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Unless posted:

nytimes has its own thread for a reason *and* they have a brutal long form on climate change in iraq

http://archive.today/2023.07.30-201518/https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/29/world/middleeast/iraq-water-crisis-desertification.html

Good reading this one.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hubbert posted:

i too love big beautiful waterbodies

we love our big naturals don't we folks

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

how's everybody doing with the dehumanizing themselves and facing wrt bloodshed?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

dehumanized myself pretty good, still working on facing to bloodshed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

news has just come over, we have 5 years left for crying

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
uhuh https://www.npr.org/2023/07/22/1186540332/how-climate-change-could-cause-a-home-insurance-meltdown?utm_source=pocket-newtab

quote:

"I get companies need to make money. I have no problem with that. Increase my rate," Pratt says. "But to just drop people — you know, it's scary. It leaves us feeling extremely vulnerable."

Pratt, like hundreds of thousands of other homeowners in California, now faces the state's growing climate threats with a weaker safety net. Over the past two years, several big insurers, including Allstate and State Farm, have scaled back their home insurance businesses in California to avoid paying billions for wildfire damage, or have halted sales of new policies altogether. Homeowners like Pratt are finding out that their longtime insurers have decided not to renew coverage.

California isn't alone. Insurance companies in states like Colorado, Louisiana and Florida are paring down business to shield themselves from ballooning losses as climate change fuels more-intense disasters. Earlier this month, the insurance arm of AAA announced it would not renew some "higher exposure" home insurance policies in Florida, and Farmers Insurance announced it will stop offering new home insurance policies in the state and won't renew thousands of existing ones, in part because of rising losses from hurricanes.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Gravid Topiary posted:

how's everybody doing with the dehumanizing themselves and facing wrt bloodshed?

biked up stowe, on a whim tried to bike up a "toll road" that goes to the top of mt mansfield and someone came rushing out of a kiosk to yell at me NO BIKES

it's for joryiding 4wd vehicles up and down only

gently caress this stupid species

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

biked up stowe, on a whim tried to bike up a "toll road" that goes to the top of mt mansfield and someone came rushing out of a kiosk to yell at me NO BIKES

it's for joryiding 4wd vehicles up and down only

gently caress this stupid species

It always confused me as a child in Nepal when yogi bear was on TV and the American families would drive straight into the national parks and have a picnic. In my child mind, national parks were just like in Nepal where it was just a big protected area where there really was no road access, devoid of human infrastructure.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

El niño gonna give me a hot dome

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lmao that even 3m rise essentially cuts off Marysville and points north from the larger Seattle area

i'm sure it'll be fine

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ughhhh posted:

It always confused me as a child in Nepal when yogi bear was on TV and the American families would drive straight into the national parks and have a picnic. In my child mind, national parks were just like in Nepal where it was just a big protected area where there really was no road access, devoid of human infrastructure.

we should rename them to national theme parks, where the theme is "outside, but there's no internet"

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
These advertisements for the Barbie movie is out of control! They've even turned the forest fires in Canada pink!

https://www.reddit.com/r/collapse/comments/15dlxd0/my_view_out_the_plane_of_the_canadian_wild_fires/

Redditor who took the shots from their extremely turbulence ridden plane ride home.

Jizzny Princess has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Jul 31, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Jizzny Princess posted:

These advertisements for the Barbie movie is out of control! They've even turned the forest fires in Canada pink!

https://www.reddit.com/r/collapse/comments/15dlxd0/my_view_out_the_plane_of_the_canadian_wild_fires/

Redditor who took the shots from their extremely turbulence ridden plane ride home.

gaia gender reveal party

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

how many years until "aragonite" is an everyday word

it's in my reef tank that's killing the planet

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Looks like the market is working.

We have cities are lobbying to not have their flood maps updated, because they know what used to be a 100 year flood is now a 10 year flood, developers build anyway. We also have people deciding to build houses in the forest on the side of a mountain in fire prone areas or on the shifting sands on barrier islands. All along the way people are making money, the developer sells more homes, the tax base expands, people get to live in their McMansions with nice views. But insurance companies want to make money too. Insurance companies are slime, but they are not stupid. If the very smart people who work for them say you have to charge such-and-such amount to make money in a certain place and the state says no, can you blame them for taking their ball and going home?

Sucks to be that lady who firehardened her house only to have the company drop her. Of course I feel bad for her. But when people hear enough of those stories they might be smart enough to realize it would be a bad idea to buy a house that can't be insured. Builders will stop building. Sorry that it has to go down like that, but apparently it does.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

i think that in the same way iowa had its corn ethanol subsidy thing locked in for politics regions, theres gonna be a bunch of federal insurance subsidy things that get locked in and extend the economic viability of a bunch of doomzones far beyond what the market would bear

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/PhilstarNews/status/1685865244151918594

https://twitter.com/archieiology/status/1685264571894988800

https://twitter.com/bulatlat/status/1685843743948357632?t=6WHLlaUECzD3QSEcW7nH6A&s=19

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 06:55 on Jul 31, 2023

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gravid Topiary posted:

my brain hurts like a warehouse

munce
Oct 23, 2010

celadon posted:

i think that in the same way iowa had its corn ethanol subsidy thing locked in for politics regions, theres gonna be a bunch of federal insurance subsidy things that get locked in and extend the economic viability of a bunch of doomzones far beyond what the market would bear

already happened in australia a couple of years ago. the insurance market just stops working without the government taking over

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-03/federal-government-reinsurance-pool-northern-australia/100113554

quote:

Federal government announces reinsurance pool to cover cyclone damage in northern Australia

"Homeowners and businesses have been faced with crippling insurance costs, and in some cases, can't get insurance at all," Prime Minister Scott Morrison said.

"It's not OK, and we're going to change that."
Mr Morrison said the government investment would drive down premiums by acting as "a floor underneath the insurance industry".

"That will encourage more insurance companies into the market," he said.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

munce posted:

already happened in australia a couple of years ago. the insurance market just stops working without the government taking over

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-03/federal-government-reinsurance-pool-northern-australia/100113554

it just so obviously cant work long term tho like how is this not setting off a cascade of alarms

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

celadon posted:

it just so obviously cant work long term tho like how is this not setting off a cascade of alarms

hmm that's a pretty good summary of the entire situation so far :hmmyes:

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Hubbert posted:

hmm that's a pretty good summary of the entire situation so far :hmmyes:

legit the problem i have is i know these people have the capacity so why isnt everything lighting up like the fourth of july? like even the most status-quo-pilled mckinsey alum must know whats coming right? like they have the data? ??? cracks should be pinging loud enough for me to hear, right?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

celadon posted:

legit the problem i have is i know these people have the capacity so why isnt everything lighting up like the fourth of july? like even the most status-quo-pilled mckinsey alum must know whats coming right? like they have the data? ??? cracks should be pinging loud enough for me to hear, right?

today my mom was like "cnn is recommending an article to me about the 'first meme', which they claim is the dancing baby." and i'm like, "the hill next to us is on fire." and she said, "yeah, i know. i feel like there's a lot more news but all i can think about is this dancing baby."

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

celadon posted:

yeah "the data" is that the companies will be bailed out 100%. Why worry? Why waste time or energy worrying? The only thing I'd worry about is if I should get an elevator for my cars or not.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

i'd like to know more about the dancing baby

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

bedpan posted:

yeah "the data" is that the companies will be bailed out 100%. Why worry? Why waste time or energy worrying? The only thing I'd worry about is if I should get an elevator for my cars or not.

argh you cant eat your spreadsheets you fools

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

celadon posted:

Because rousing the rabble is dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

celadon posted:

It's because this is really the final alarm

Insurance tipping over is one of those "this will be the beginning of the end" warning signs that people have discussed wrt to climate change for like 15+ years. It was even a topic in the old D&D threads. Homeowners insurance companies bailing on a bunch of markets is really, really, really bad. It's not something you can spend too much time talking about unless you're ready to admit that we're already over the edge of the cliff.

Insurance companies unironically have a better picture of things than the government and most other industries.

edit- theoretically the next step is a real estate crash in affected markets, but nobody's going to let that happen until the end is extremely loving nigh. either way, anyone owning property in one of these markets who doesn't take major insurers dipping out as a sign to get the gently caress out probably deserves whatever happens next.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 06:46 on Jul 31, 2023