Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Ju is still the world champion. Last and decisive game was really fun to watch.

I am looking forward to watching Wen in her next tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My rating hasn't been moving around a lot lately, but I've been focusing a LOT more on tactics the past month or so and it's really cool to find a sequence I know for a fact I wouldn't have seen a few weeks ago. It feels like the kind of progress that's healthy to focus on.

1. Bg4+ Kxg4
2. Nf6+

That's pretty rudimentary I know, but to spend a bunch of time not seeing that move in puzzles to starting to see that move in puzzles to seeing it in a game was like fireworks going off.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Nice find! I would definitely miss that in blitz

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks to who recommended Chessbrah and The Improving Chess Mind. I’ve been playing on and off (and usually at work so at least a little distracted) for a few years now but those two sources really clicked for me finally. I think I just needed the thought process worked through more.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
An interesting thing I've discovered: I can't read novels in paper any more, and it took me finally buying LOTR on my Kindle to finish it. But a chess book on my Kindle may as well not exist. I owned Logical Chess for 3 months and barely touched it, but I rented a physical copy from the library a while back and have gone through half of it. I got a Chessable tactics course and keep finding reasons not to mess with it, but I got a physical tactics workbook and I'm getting through it.

It's honestly getting me really excited to find a way to play OTB.

e: Also, my girls decided I needed a Mario Bros chess set (because daddy is a chess guy now), and one set of pawns is a coin (white) and the other is a shell (black). They told me they didn't need help to play each other, and I watched a coin capture the black Queen normally, then later capture a white piece backward, then promote backward to the black Queen it had captured earlier.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 27, 2023

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Everyone get a load of this guy who doesn't know how to capture dehors passant.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Darn, missed this tactic in game. Well, I saw it, but was too low on time to calculate and went with a safer option. Black to mate.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
I can’t quite see the mate. I have knight to c2 check. Queen has to take. Black queen takes back threatening mate on c1 but white has time to move the knight. I guess you’re up the queen an eating up everything in any case…

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I can't find a checkmate sequence, but I do see:

Nc2+
Qxc2 Qxc2

And you win the queen. I tend to focus on gaining material and I'm not great at actually attacking the king.

Oh wait, I think I see it.

... Qf1+!!
Rxf1 Nd3+
Ke2 Nf4+
Ke1 Ng2#

That is one of the coolest checkmates I've ever seen. Reminds of Bobby Fischer's "game of the century".

Chamale fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 29, 2023

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Qf1+ Rxf1 Nd3+ Ke2 Nf4+ Ke1 Ng2#

if white does Nxf1, same result

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dang. Y'all smart.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

fisting by many posted:

Darn, missed this tactic in game. Well, I saw it, but was too low on time to calculate and went with a safer option. Black to mate.

A cute little knight dance, over your own queen's grave

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Oh yeah! drat that is very nice.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
has lichess been making GBS threads the bed for anyone else? been getting reconnecting notifs in the middle of games. have to manually reload the site and even then i lost due to a timeout once :(

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

qsvui posted:

has lichess been making GBS threads the bed for anyone else? been getting reconnecting notifs in the middle of games. have to manually reload the site and even then i lost due to a timeout once :(

I just noticed that starting today.

e: Lichess forums said they are having a DDOS right now.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 29, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol probably a cheater who got banned

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Today's daily chess.com puzzle is infuriating me because to solve it, I have to waste time making extra moves instead of doing mate in two.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sataere posted:

Today's daily chess.com puzzle is infuriating me because to solve it, I have to waste time making extra moves instead of doing mate in two.

There is no mate in 2 because the rook can cover the b file. The extra moves make it so the rook is on the 4th rank, so the bishop covers the rook moving to the b file

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
I ran into a chess.com puzzle this morning that I didn't understand the solution, and I'd like to get some input for something to think about

Black to move

Solution and my thoughts:

1. ... Qxe2, that's it

The follow-up move from white is Bxe2, which puts both sides at parity for material but the engine has the advantage at -3 in Black's favor.

I don't really understand this position well enough to see why this is so advantageous for Black. Best guess I have is that Black pushes the A pawn with the rook behind it and promotes.

That looks like what the engine suggests, but I'm curious how I should be looking at this position and coming to that conclusion. I recently hit 1900 in puzzles and the tactics seem to be getting a little more abstract, which I welcome, it's just harder to think about.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

Sataere posted:

I found today's difficult to think about in part because it was so limited in scope, it felt very foreign. I liked it, it was an interesting change up

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Its a Rolex posted:

I ran into a chess.com puzzle this morning that I didn't understand the solution, and I'd like to get some input for something to think about

I think it's so strong for black because of the bishop imbalance. Your dark bishop is relevant to promoting the a pawn, since it keeps their rook from parking on a1, whereas their light bishop is irrelevant to stopping promotion because they don't have time to maneuver the bishop back from e2 and get their c pawn out of the way. Chopping queens and distracting the bishop both removed their most relevant defender of promotion and bought you a tempo to outrun their bishop.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Its a Rolex posted:

The black bishop covers the promotion square for the a-pawn, so after Qxe2 Bxe2 you can play ... d3 and now if white captures the d-pawn with the bishop then promotion is unstoppable. White could also give up the bishop and capture the a-pawn but then you are up a full bishop. I think the reason there isn't a continuation in the puzzle is that d3 isn't the only move that wins, you can just push the a-pawn and in the long term white still can't stop it.

Promethium fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 30, 2023

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Its a Rolex posted:

Black to move

1. ... Qxe2, that's it

The follow-up move from white is Bxe2, which puts both sides at parity for material but the engine has the advantage at -3 in Black's favor.

I don't really understand this position well enough to see why this is so advantageous for Black. Best guess I have is that Black pushes the A pawn with the rook behind it and promotes.

That looks like what the engine suggests, but I'm curious how I should be looking at this position and coming to that conclusion. I recently hit 1900 in puzzles and the tactics seem to be getting a little more abstract, which I welcome, it's just harder to think about.

Yea, you got it. Once the White Queen is off the board, there’s nothing White can do to stop the a-file promotion. The White Rook has to go to a1, and Black has a dark squared Bishop aimed right at it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Its a Rolex posted:

Black to move

1. ... Qxe2, that's it

after a3 and then d3 to unblock your bishop’s view of a1, it’s pretty much not possible to stop the passed pawn

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It's actually about the psychological blow of capturing the other guy's queen. How're you gonna win without this piece buddy :smuggo:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Prevented stalemate by underpromotion for the first time today :cabot:

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

thanks for the explanations, all, I appreciate it. most of the time I enjoy playing with the puzzles I don't understand but that one didn't quite click for me

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arrhythmia posted:

It's actually about the psychological blow of capturing the other guy's queen. How're you gonna win without this piece buddy :smuggo:

Queens are too complicated and I find them confusing, so I always go for an early queen exchange. I probably have more experience in queenless games than a typical player with my rating, so it gives me an advantage.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

101 posted:

There is no mate in 2 because the rook can cover the b file. The extra moves make it so the rook is on the 4th rank, so the bishop covers the rook moving to the b file

What am I missing here? If I move the bishop to a3 right away, why does it matter where he moves his rook.
well that is obvious and now makes way more sense.

A Passing Feeling
Mar 18, 2009

Huxley posted:

I'm kind of in the same spot as you, but a few months ahead (started in the high 600s, now up to the 1k range). I've probably wasted a lot of time on stuff that didn't actually help me, so here is what I think is the best "adult learner now what?" plan.

First, focus on getting better because you want to feel more confident in your games and want to understand it and enjoy it at a deeper level, not because you like watching the number go up. Playing just for your rating is going to cause you brain problems.

Second, there are basically 4 endgames you need down pat at our level. Q+K vs K, R+K vs K, Ladder mate (2 Rs, 2Qs, R+Q), and I would add Kings and Pawns. If you've both burned off all your pieces and you have the pawn advantage, knowing how to turn one of your pawns into a Queen is important. This is a little tougher than the above scenarios, where you are guaranteed a win if you play it right, but the scenario comes up fairly often and it's be helpful to know what to do say, here:

Third, YouTube is great. John Bartholomew Chess Fundamentals is a good starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao9iOeK_jvU

And ChessBrah's Building Habits series is really instructive. He starts with concrete rules for every Elo range and sticks to them. He plays as simply and fundamentally as possible (no crazy tactics, no sacrifices, no gambits), and doesn't win every game under his own rules but shows how just being solid will take you a really long way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pZbhjL-fQ

Beyond that, the game is 90% spotting tactics. For that, it's just grinding puzzles, which may be where you draw the line at the game becoming too tryhard. To the point that studies have shown that if your goal is winning games, actually playing games is less important than puzzles. As in, the puzzles are where you learn to play, and the games are where you demonstrate what you've learned (but for the most part you don't learn much by playing).

I'm not sure if Chessable's free courses are free to everyone or just free to me because I pay for chess.com, but if you can, I have found this to be a very good free course of just, "there's a simple fork here, find it ASAP." And as you do the same simple puzzles 3-5 times spread out over time, the patterns start to show themselves in actual play.

https://www.chessable.com/course/77784

OPENINGS are where I (and I think almost all) beginning players waste the most time. It's simply the least impactful phase of the game and the least important to study. But they're fun to learn and they have cool names and you fall down a trap of, "maybe I'm on a bad streak because I am not playing the right opening with white." But at our level it's almost NEVER that.

Basically just pick something sound (Italian, 4 Knights, Queen's Gambit, London) and stick with it. With black play e5 against e4, and d5 against d4 and follow principles. Know what to do against black's most popular nonsense responses, and then just play. (As in, as a d4 player, you will need to know what to do against e5, which is a trappy gambit from black, but beyond all that it's fine not to kill yourself on openings.)

If you want to dig deeper into one in particular, Chessable has a "Short and Sweet" course on nearly every popular opening, but they can be hit or miss and a REAL waste of time at our level. As in, some courses spend 75% of their runtime on a 2nd or 3rd move that we will never see at our Elo. You can do some work paring them down, though again this is getting really tryhard.

If you go to Lichess, you can look at popular responses to moves sorted by Elo. So like, you can say, "If I open e4, people at my level respond e5 75% of the time and c6 3% of the time, so I shouldn't spend a lot of my time studying what to do against c6." Then in your chessable course, you can just not learn the c6 responses until you start seeing it.

But Fundamentals and Tactics are where the money is.

I just wanted to say this Chessable course is great - when I saw the description I thought ''Hmm, I wonder if that's Typical Tactical Tricks...'' and it was.

The first section is incredibly easy (aimed at true beginners), but it does get more challenging and overall it's just a great workbook for pattern recognition and improving the ability to see these tactics quickly in games.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A Passing Feeling posted:

I just wanted to say this Chessable course is great - when I saw the description I thought ''Hmm, I wonder if that's Typical Tactical Tricks...'' and it was.

The first section is incredibly easy (aimed at true beginners), but it does get more challenging and overall it's just a great workbook for pattern recognition and improving the ability to see these tactics quickly in games.

Great! If you're a physical-book person I grabbed Everyone's First Chess Workbook

https://www.amazon.com/Everyones-Fi...oks%2C92&sr=1-1

And have been going through it on the couch at night. It's a lot of the same, but I found I actually prefer tactics in physical books vs. online for some reason.

Also, related to my older post, I've made a fun discovery on the openings stuff. Chessable will let you create your own courses for personal use, and it's very simple to import them from PGN files, which Lichess will help you build and export.

What I've done is, I went through and made a full opening repertoire as one Lichess study. You can sort/see all the most common moves at your Elo, so I made a rule that I would only bother with high % responses at my level and never go past 5 moves deep into any opening unless the next response was played >60% of the time. So for instance, at higher levels in the French, white almost always moves their b1 Knight on the third move (like, 85% of the time either Nc3 or Nd2), but at 1000-1500, white almost always moves the e pawn on move 3 (either take or push).

So you can put together your own Short and Sweet–style course on Lichess focusing on moves you're more likely to see (and not bothering with lines more than 5-6 moves deep), which makes the whole thing a lot more useful than a French course that shows you 10 different move-8 diversions in the Winawer and ignores 3. e5 completely.

Right now I'm playing/learning Scotch/Alapin/Fantasy and AccDragon/KID, and really only focusing on 5-6 move lines then knowing the ideas. It's a lot more fun and manageable way to know a little opening theory without having to waste time on lines that never actually come up.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
broke 2000 in lichess puzzles :cabot:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Arrhythmia posted:

broke 2000 in lichess puzzles :cabot:

Feels good the first time. The next 6000 suck.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just broke 1400 Rapid on Lichess!

Was close last week but got caught up by the Stafford Gambit (which I kind of knew but didn't really know), so I spent the rest of my chess time that day studying it. Final boss this afternoon played it and I feel like I could run through a brick wall.

This is definitely amateur-hour stuff, but I'm not entirely unproud of it considering where I started out (1170 in April).

https://lichess.org/ThnKQczc/white

Two moves I calculated correctly but badly misevaluated (and the computer hated) were:

10. Be3—I knew all the trades left me a simplified position up a piece for 2 pawns, but I underestimated how much trouble all his q-side pawns would go on to cause me. In retrospect this was a crazy dangerous thing to allow up 4 points of material, but was concerned he knew something I didn't with a battery pointed at f2. I was skittish about the Stafford and gave the guy who hung a Knight on T6 perhaps too much credit for knowing the theory on T10.

25. Nxa4—I honestly thought it may have evaluated this one a brilliancy rather than a blunder lol ... my thought was I get both his dangerous pawns for my imperiled Knight and now material is even but my King is holding the center together and my pawns are better. Plus, I'm threatening Rb8#, which if he spots he has to address, giving me a tempo to get in. All of that was correct, technically, but badly judged.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 11, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Huxley posted:

Just broke 1400 Rapid on Lichess!

Was close last week but got caught up by the Stafford Gambit (which I kind of knew but didn't really know), so I spent the rest of my chess time that day studying it. Final boss this afternoon played it and I feel like I could run through a brick wall.

This is definitely amateur-hour stuff, but I'm not entirely unproud of it considering where I started out (1170 in April).

https://lichess.org/ThnKQczc/white

Two moves I calculated correctly but badly misevaluated (and the computer hated) were:

10. Be3—I knew all the trades left me a simplified position up a piece for 2 pawns, but I underestimated how much trouble all his q-side pawns would go on to cause me. In retrospect this was a crazy dangerous thing to allow up 4 points of material, but was concerned he knew something I didn't with a battery pointed at f2. I was skittish about the Stafford and gave the guy who hung a Knight on T6 perhaps too much credit for knowing the theory on T10.

25. Nxa4—I honestly thought it may have evaluated this one a brilliancy rather than a blunder lol ... my thought was I get both his dangerous pawns for my imperiled Knight and now material is even but my King is holding the center together and my pawns are better. Plus, I'm threatening Rb8#, which if he spots he has to address, giving me a tempo to get in. All of that was correct, technically, but badly judged.

I get why the computer didn't like Be3 with your rook exposed, but the way this guy had been playing up to that point, I don't hate it.

I was wondering what you were thinking just giving up your Knight there though lol. It didn't look like a blunder so much as you being too cute for your own good. Solid game. That guy was never in it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

what the *gently caress* FIDE

https://www.erininthemorning.com/p/international-chess-org-trans-women

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Even though I ultimately decided it's fine, I can at least see some semblance of a legitimate concern for athletic sports, but chess? CHESS?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Disgusting. I hope the media obliterates them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
"Women's brains are innately inferior" is the direct implication of the policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Isn't that also the implication behind having a woman's division at all? Or WFM titles? The implication in your statement is that both of those should be eliminated and everyone of any gender compete together with no segregation of any type.

I wonder what the outcome of such an approach would be.