Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i saw Lifeforce on 70mm like three rows back from the screen. one of my loudest and most awesome movie theater experiences.

edit: pretty sure i was also on edibles, pretty much SOP for me at the movies these days

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Pretty sure the edible made u sleepy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what are some movies other than Escape from L.A. that are sequels that double as parodies of the first movie? I guess you could argue Evil Dead II but I feel like there are others I'm forgetting.

Friday the 13th part 6 although it’s more on the entire franchise than just the first

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Blood Diner is both a sequel and a send-up of Blood Feast. At least I think it's a sequel. I assume Uncle Anwar is a disembodied brain thanks to that garbage truck.

Oh, and so is A Return to Salem's Lot, at least in my opinion. At what point does the Howling series become self-parody?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I watched it for the first time with edibles like a month ago and promptly fell asleep right after she escapes the lab.

It’s an incredibly dull and boring movie.

Ah man my hopes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fav edible moment at the theaters, Dolby imax watching Avatar 2. Didn't particularly like the movie.

But gently caress I WAS in the ocean. Trying to bat away all the alien fish.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
21 Jump Street the movie is a parody of the original 21 Jump Street but that might be stretching the definition of sequel.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mycot posted:

21 Jump Street the movie is a parody of the original 21 Jump Street but that might be stretching the definition of sequel.

that's more in the lineage of the '90s TV adaptations that were parodies of their source material, like The Brady Bunch Movie

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Halloween Jack posted:

Blood Diner is both a sequel and a send-up of Blood Feast. At least I think it's a sequel. I assume Uncle Anwar is a disembodied brain thanks to that garbage truck.

Oh, and so is A Return to Salem's Lot, at least in my opinion. At what point does the Howling series become self-parody?

I dunno, but Howling VII: New Moon Rising is accidentally hilarious bullshit

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Halloween Jack posted:

Blood Diner is loving blast aside from some extremely out of left field homophobic jokes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shageletic posted:

Fav edible moment at the theaters, Dolby imax watching Avatar 2. Didn't particularly like the movie.

But gently caress I WAS in the ocean. Trying to bat away all the alien fish.

Mine Batman Begins because a local movie critic was at the showing and spent half the article complaining about us.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lifeforce is a brilliant update of and homage to the best British 50s-70s sci-fi, ala the Quarermass films. Unfortunately, they updated everything brilliantly except for the pacing which is just as dull, talky, and languid as its forebears. That being said, if you can get over that significant flaw it loving rules.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The talky, stuffiness of those old films is great, bring that back to movies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The talky, stuffiness of those old films is great, bring that back to movies

what they need to bring back from the Hammer movies is having one castle set that you reuse and redress and shoot like 50 movies in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bring back studio backlots with permanent Western, Medieval, and Gangster sections. So that Star Trek and other sci-fis can shoot on them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what they need to bring back from the Hammer movies is having one castle set that you reuse and redress and shoot like 50 movies in.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fear the Blacklight of Dracula

My friend saw a couch from that lace on Craigslist or someplace and thought it was a really good deal before seeing where it was from.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ruddiger posted:

Bruce Campbell has a great anecdote about the first thing Kurt Russell said to him on the set of Escape From LA

well don't tell us by any means

I AM GRANDO posted:

Fear the Blacklight of Dracula

My friend saw a couch from that lace on Craigslist or someplace and thought it was a really good deal before seeing where it was from.

some people pay extra for that

couches from castles

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

well don't tell us by any means

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I love that the son Kurt is mentioning is now an actor in his own right. Wyatt Russell must have been 9 or 10 at the time of this story.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When I was 10 I was afraid of the vhs box for Evil Dead II at the video store. A skull with eyes is scary poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Young Freud posted:

I love that the son Kurt is mentioning is now an actor in his own right. Wyatt Russell must have been 9 or 10 at the time of this story.

oh poo poo he was the new cap whose jaw everyone was making fun of

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

mycot posted:

22 Jump Street could be considered a parody of the first movie but also sequels in general.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Smithee posted:

oh poo poo he was the new cap whose jaw everyone was making fun of

Yeah and he was also in the mentioned 22 Jump Street and that really dull nazi zombie movie overlord.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

that really dull nazi zombie movie overlord.

what the gently caress

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mine Batman Begins because a local movie critic was at the showing and spent half the article complaining about us.

Link

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Lodge 49 was so good. RIP

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

what the gently caress

Oh yeah baby.

Someone showed me Frankenstein’s army which was everything I wanted out of overlord. Absolute insanity

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Oh yeah baby.

Someone showed me Frankenstein’s army which was everything I wanted out of overlord. Absolute insanity

The creature designs in this look rad I still need to see it

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

The creature designs in this look rad I still need to see it

Monster designs so good that Resident Evil VIllage ripped them off (allegedly)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Monster designs so good that Resident Evil VIllage ripped them off (allegedly)

I believe it and that would be 100% in the spirit of Resident Evil's DNA almost across the board.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about all the terrible box office projections for Blue Beetle is that WB knew the movie wasn't going to do gangbusters because it was originally supposed to just be an HBO Max streaming movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The funny thing about all the terrible box office projections for Blue Beetle is that WB knew the movie wasn't going to do gangbusters because it was originally supposed to just be an HBO Max streaming movie.

What made them think this was the one to go with instead of the completed meant-for-streaming Batgirl movie they killed? Like just from it being a Bat-flick I'd think there'd be more excitement for it than for Blue Beetle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My only guess is that it's because it's a Latin superhero. This also just may be the case where the new WBD suits thought that BB would look better on a theater screen than Batgirl.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Jamie Reyes Blue Beetle was actually a very popular character back in the day, but DC never did much with his popularity. I think the most he got for adaptations was a few episodes of the Batman Brave and the Bold cartoon?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neo Rasa posted:

What made them think this was the one to go with instead of the completed meant-for-streaming Batgirl movie they killed? Like just from it being a Bat-flick I'd think there'd be more excitement for it than for Blue Beetle.

I imagine it was still in production during Zaslavs boot licking tour with the studios so they had time to dump a little extra money on it to put it to where they thought a theater caliber movie should be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Might also have been bumped up when someone realised it looked kinda like Iron Man that they desperately want and/or they realised Flash was gonna be a disaster.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gonna repeat what I said in the discord: Blue Beetle looks to be a stones throw from a kind of latin Kamen Rider, which would rule, but instead it looks to be yet another budget Ironman after a decade of every film superhero being budget Ironman.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Iron Man is a (creatively) budget Kamen Rider :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Blue Beetle looks bad but I'm certainly hoping for its success more than I did The Flash.