Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Outrail posted:

You should feel bad for not shoplifting ebough

I do feel bad, but then I remember the police are murderous thugs, so...it's a tradeoff.

Ograbme posted:

Phone menu preambles are getting longer. It's not a drat constitution, just get me to the part where I press 3 to pay my bill.

Phone menus you can't memorize and speed dial. Used to be beep hoop beeep bop skipped right to where you want to be. Now you have to stop at every menu before choosing another option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

The ones where you have to talk to them are the worst.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:pusheen:

ahgahahahahahahahahahahaha

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Ograbme posted:

Phone menu preambles are getting longer. It's not a drat constitution, just get me to the part where I press 3 to pay my bill.

"PLEASE LISTEN CAREFULLY BECAUSE OUR MENU OPTIONS HAVE CHANGED" - Every phone menu ever

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Elder Postsman posted:

The ones where you have to talk to them are the worst.

“Tell me what you want, you can talk to me like a regular person.”

“customer service.”

(make believe typing sounds)

“Sorry, I didn’t get that.”

gently caress. Off.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Jelly posted:

I have never been to a grocery store where they give a gently caress about me in my entire life, where do you live

I have lived in both huge cities and rural bumfuck, and will confirm that in rural stores, even huge chains like walmart, it's fairly common for the staff at checkout to make earnest smalltalk, and even recognize/remember me and ask about things that we talked about last time. Only ever had this happen in the city when I was working late and would always shop at 2am, so the overnight staff got to know who I was because I was one of like ten people they saw.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I like the automated phone messages that hang up on you if you hit 0

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

aniviron posted:

I have lived in both huge cities and rural bumfuck, and will confirm that in rural stores, even huge chains like walmart, it's fairly common for the staff at checkout to make earnest smalltalk, and even recognize/remember me and ask about things that we talked about last time. Only ever had this happen in the city when I was working late and would always shop at 2am, so the overnight staff got to know who I was because I was one of like ten people they saw.
I have also lived in both. It must be my "leave me the gently caress alone" energy, smell, or general horrific appearance.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

credburn posted:

I like the automated phone messages that hang up on you if you hit 0
If you're doing online customer service and you switch windows while you wait for a response it automatically ends the conversation

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

helps if you spell February correctly

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

GolfHole posted:

helps if you spell February correctly
It's autofilled. They've only typed Fe, so the user has not done anything incorrect.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Jelly posted:

It's autofilled. They've only typed Fe, so the user has not done anything incorrect.

But the second image shows he verified the spelling of the autocorrect in the first image was accurate.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hmm maybe it's easier to just get rid of February.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Riatsala posted:

Fruity Pebbles are still the artificially flavored sugar bullshit I loved as a kid but now an inexcusable number of the pebbles are stale, dense, inedible bits that ruin every bite. The QC on these are negligent

get fruity dyno bites instead

i get the ones with marshmallows :yum:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

Hmm maybe it's easier to just get rid of February.

No the trick is to add a month, like Kodak did

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I have to buy a new a phone that's not Apple and I am terrified.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Plan R posted:

Why do you have to do that? And why are you terrified?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Plan R posted:

Android is really good these days.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Tarkus posted:

Why do you have to do that? And why are you terrified?

I've had the same number since 1999 and don't want to lose it!

Okay, I'm not terrified but it's more like "I'll have to strip out a bunch of garbage and apps to hopefully get it working smoothly for business stuff." And then do the same for my folks.

Also, I'm over 30 (40?) and it's all weird and scary!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Plan R posted:

I've had the same number since 1999 and don't want to lose it!

Okay, I'm not terrified but it's more like "I'll have to strip out a bunch of garbage and apps to hopefully get it working smoothly for business stuff." And then do the same for my folks.

Also, I'm over 30 (40?) and it's all weird and scary!

Android is actually pretty OK compared to 10 years ago. I mean, I trust Google less than Apple but I've been using Android for a number of years and it's always worked OK for me.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Tarkus posted:

Android is actually pretty OK compared to 10 years ago. I mean, I trust Google less than Apple but I've been using Android for a number of years and it's always worked OK for me.

When you start with a Nokia from Voicestream to now it's been quite a change. I'll probably go with another Android, my old phone's like 2G and at least 11 or 12 years old.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Do android phones support biometrics to pay for things but allow you to prevent biometrics from unlocking your phone?

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Do android phones support biometrics to pay for things but allow you to prevent biometrics from unlocking your phone?

Yeah, you can pay with a fingerprint but have to use a pin to unlock after a reboot or whenever safe lock times out.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

Yeah, you can pay with a fingerprint but have to use a pin to unlock after a reboot or whenever safe lock times out.

Oh nice. You used to not be able to which is why I refused to use android.

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
What's the deal with GMail no longer letting me search for explicit keywords and always fuzzy searching related terms?? Am I just dumb and don't know how to do it?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I was clearing out some old stuff and found a receipt from Jack in the Box.

It was for a medium spicy chicken sandwich with fries and a coke.

Total = 6.97

Date -> 2003

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Plan R posted:

I was clearing out some old stuff and found a receipt from Jack in the Box.

It was for a medium spicy chicken sandwich with fries and a coke.

Total = 6.97

Date -> 2003

:hai: the exploding prices of fast food made me finally quit that junk. Nineteen motherfucking dollars for a double western bacon cheeseburger with a chocolate shake the size of a sippy cup. Also had the privilege of being told to park while the workers inside struggled with a 1 person order at 3:15 in the afternoon :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
59 oz half gallon, also gently caress the poor

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cerekk posted:

yeah, it's pretty obvious they made WIC, like most aus welfare stuff, intentionally poo poo.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The shrinkflation is bad, but it not working on food stamps just sounds like they haven't added the new product line to the whitelist yet.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Gawr Gooner posted:

What's the deal with GMail no longer letting me search for explicit keywords and always fuzzy searching related terms?? Am I just dumb and don't know how to do it?

Yeah, I hate searching for, say, United airlines ticket and it turning every email with United center in the body, every other airline email too, etc. You have to wrap your search term in quotes for exact marches.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cerekk posted:

also gently caress the poor

Here in Iowa, bills keep being introduced to make it so people buying groceries with SNAP/EBT can't buy fresh meat, only canned. Even though we are the land of pigs and a pound of fresh pork is less than half the price of something like a pound of Spam. Our representatives don't even pretend to have a reason other than "lol go gently caress yourself".

Edit: plain flour is also being proposed as a non-eligible luxury item.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 31, 2023

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Dip Viscous posted:

Here in Iowa, bills keep being introduced to make it so people buying groceries with SNAP/EBT can't buy fresh meat, only canned. Even though we are the land of pigs and a pound of fresh pork is less than half the price of something like a pound of Spam. Our representatives don't even pretend to have a reason other than "lol go gently caress yourself".

Edit: plain flour is also being proposed as a non-eligible luxury item.

The only reason we even have SNAP/EBT is to subsidize the agriculture industry. I love that they're going to crush a significant portion of demand for their own state products.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

anonumos posted:

The only reason we even have SNAP/EBT is to subsidize the agriculture industry. I love that they're going to crush a significant portion of demand for their own state products.

The federal product is more important in the long run (suffering and anguish)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The "environmentally friendly" paper straws restaurants use are lined with so much plastic to keep them from getting soggy, I bet they actually increase the amount of plastic being dumped into the environment.

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK
produce in general has been of awful quality for a bit now and just getting worse, year 3 or 4 of blaming the supply side at this point

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
well and weather was abysmal this year making crop turnout bad. which...we're going to see more and more of as the earth slowly catches aflame

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Plan R posted:

Regardless of which non-apple phone you buy, make sure you deactivate iMessage before you move your SIM/number to the new phone, else you won't get txt messages until you do (which will suck for trying to log back into apps).

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Armacham posted:

Every produce item is a banana

"Hey baby, are the last 4 digits of your phone number 4011? Because you're so hot it's bananas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Cerekk posted:

This makes me angrier than anything in this thread. Like how is this legal? You can't redefine a measurement system.

Okay, go ahead and show me all the historical examples of redefining a measurement system.