Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I read Playboy magazines for the articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Them ladies tweren't wearing no clothes! :aaa:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I read Playboy magazines for the articles.

I install nude mods in my games for the immersion

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That's because they're in a state of grace not seen since Adam & Eve were cast out of the garden.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jerusalem posted:

Those women were in the nip!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have not paid attention to the story in a game since the SNES Final Fantasy games because it's not the part of games I'm interested in, I am interested in the part of the game that's a game, and full of complex interactive problems to solve.
Fair.

I play most games with the sound off, too :ssh:
Mods!?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God bless Father Dougal :shobon:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Skyblivion mod still due out in 2025, which looks amazing.
I'm still a big fan of Oblivion dungeons.

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1685897907973533696

Except now, from some now deleted reddit post of an ex employee of Virtous, it seems there is a remaster/remake that may actually come out before the mod is done.

https://twitter.com/NikoMueller/status/1685940405471252481

Though I think it my have an impact on modding since it will be on a different engine the modders are used to.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If that's true, then unless they ported the Creation Engine's guts over to Unreal it doesn't bode well for modding at all. Although Fortnite has that editor now that would be pretty awesome if it could be supported by other games, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is that a reliable leak? Because the idea that they'd use unreal is really weird to me

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

Is that a reliable leak? Because the idea that they'd use unreal is really weird to me

From what I can tell, multiple people/places have said that the poster was a previous employee.
Though I'm not familiar with this website, here's a link.

https://www.xfire.com/remake-the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-in-development-virtuos-games/

"While we'd recommend that you take most leaks with a grain of salt, a mod for the r/GamingLeaksAndRumours subreddit verified the information of the source, proving that he's a former employee of Virtuos Games."

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

MMF Freeway posted:

No idea if it's reliable, but if it's a different studio doing development then it's not that weird. Virtuos is mostly a porting studio though so I wouldn't bet that it's a full on remake. More likely to me is that if anything it'll be wrapped in Unreal Engine for the rendering and cross-platform stuff and run some version of the original code underneath. But maybe it's all bullshit, who knows

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jack Trades posted:

Is that something that I'm too PC Master Race to know about?

I think there was maybe a period of time/age group during the PS2 era where platformers (despite how good they were) just weren't marketed or targeted as well as other new stuff that was coming out.

I played a lot of games on PlayStation all the way from PS1 and vaguely knew of Ratchet and Clank and things like Jak and Daxter, but I was focused on playing stuff like Resident Evil, GTA, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.

There were just new types of games coming out all the time so another 3D collectathon platformer was just less interesting.

You might have been in the same boat.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
…xfire?

:corsair:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah i'm not familiar with it, or just dont remember it.
But wanna talk about old, I just had a Cnet video recommended to me the other day for a new $1500 TF Grimlock robot.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

This Pal is under investigation.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Yeah, what kind of sicko plays games in this thread, sound or not.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

Shalebridge Cradle was quality spooks

Return to the Cathedral in Thief: TDP/Gold is still the high mark for scary video games. Especially since it comes out of nowhere despite it being heavily telegraphed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Believe it or not people play games for all kinds of different reasons! I have not paid attention to the story in a game since the SNES Final Fantasy games

[...]

I play most games with the sound off, too :ssh:

You are the ideal Dungeon Encounters fan.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Maybe once I beat Tactical Nexus...

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256766990/movie480.webm?t=1669848597

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

There is no beating Tactical Nexus, only discovering slightly more optimal routes forever.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Believe it or not people play games for all kinds of different reasons!

Definitely consider Tales of Maj'Eyal. Plot is wholly irrelevant and easily ignorable, and doesn't get in the way of the fantastically complex yet fun game mechanics. Also you can fight the dev's waifu

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Counterpoint: Do not play TOME.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Serephina posted:

Counterpoint: Do not play TOME.

counterpoint: play tome

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

play half of ToMe

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I already played hundreds of hours of TOME it's too late for me

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is that more or less than half

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

play half of ToMe

To or Me? Or oM?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

To or Me? Or oM?

Te, obviously

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
ToYou the gameplay is much better than the story. ToMe

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Chuckle Brothers Never Be Game Over

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Having read almost nothing about it until now, can anyone give me a tl;dr on the hype surrounding Baldur’s Gate 3?

Is it going to be more Dragon Age than Pathfinder mechanically? Never played Larian’s Divinity games.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You should, they are great.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you play nothing else, play Original Sin 2. It's what we're all hoping BG3 turns out like.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They've got a nice light humour and have combat that is fairly mechanically dense compared to "don't stand near fireball target". Though honestly I think the hype for Baldur's Gate 3 is because it's been a long time for that franchise and the D&D brand is at a high-water mark compared to the 90s/00s where the original Baldur's Gate was essentially its departure from the grognard section of gaming.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Foulbrood posted:

Having read almost nothing about it until now, can anyone give me a tl;dr on the hype surrounding Baldur’s Gate 3?

Is it going to be more Dragon Age than Pathfinder mechanically? Never played Larian’s Divinity games.

It's entirely turn-based, so I guess more like Pathfinder? I've played Dragon Age, and it's definitely not like that.

Honestly, the flow of it reminds me most of the old Fallout games, but combat is not an interminable slog. You can run around and use skills and sneak and whatnot in real time, but then combat starts and it's all turn-based. Characters have movement speed, resources for different moves, classes are all very different.

Most of the hype around it is just that it's very solidly made, and looks like it's going to be gigantic. Their other games were based around their own original setting/combat rules, but this is just D&D 5e, with all the complications that implies. And they appear to have nailed it.

Also, Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 had a very cool way of doing co-op, where eat player can just run around and do whatever they want. Go have conversations the others aren't in, get in fights that other people can join at opportune moments, etc. One person can be running around the open world and the other can be in turn-based combat at the same time. It's very flexible, and works very well. And it even has split-screen!

So yeah there's not like... one killer feature, I guess? It's just a big new RPG that looks like it's going to be really well made.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A better version of Dragon Age: Origins except fully turn-based combat is actually a pretty apt comparison for BG3

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hwurmp posted:

is that more or less than half

a lot less

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Rain world

Edit: went to a good home.

Replace the * with the first letter in the phrase “quick little slug cat dies horribly”

It’s a very good sort of mysterious and hard game w really satisfying movement

tildes fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

tildes posted:

Rain world

L6NPH-P79RW-96KH*

Replace the * with the first letter in the phrase “quick little slug cat dies horribly”

It’s a very good sort of mysterious and hard game w really satisfying movement

Thanks! I’ve been wanting to try this out.