Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

No, we didn't miss a strip.

Spider-Man is not an insect! He's not even a arachnid! He's a non-mutant human superhero!

Speaking of 'insect' stuff, that title panel blurb has always bothered me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What the gently caress

I don't understand what's going on at all

It would appear that:
1. Hammerhand told Pete to knock over an armored truck
2. Pete webs up the truck
3. Spider-man! Why would you web up my truck!
4. Hammerhand: Because I told him to
5. Spider-man: I knew you'd show up to rob this armored truck, and I'm not going to let you!

Do I... do I have that right?
This entire storyline could have ended every single strip if Peter just like, webbed away his gun or ... just didn't do anything at all?
Again, he is robbing warehouses and banks because Hammerhand has a photo of him ... standing in a room?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sockser posted:

What the gently caress

It would appear that:
5. Spider-man: I knew you'd show up to rob this armored truck, and I'm not going to let you!

This entire storyline could have ended every single strip if Peter just like, webbed away his gun or ... just didn't do anything at all?
Again, he is robbing warehouses and banks because Hammerhand has a photo of him ... standing in a room?

I think it's "I knew you would show up personally for a heist this big".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Mfw I fart and the fart looks like black spiderman

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Sockser posted:

What the gently caress

It would appear that:

This whole storyline revolves around the threat of 'Hammerhand is going to send the picture to the Daily Bugle, thus ruining Spider-Man's reputation forever', which only works if neither of them are familiar with the fact that the Bugle would run a picture of Spider-Man napping on a park bench as a front page article titled 'WHAT NEFARIOUS SCHEMES DOES THIS MENACE PLOT IN HIS DREAMS'

Except...Hammerhand seems to be familiar enough with the Bugle to know of his growing reputation and to target Robbie Robertson personally, and Pete certainly knows it because his entire livelihood relies on turning in mediocre photos of himself to the Bugle on account of the fact that Jameson will pay top dollar for literally anything Spidey-related.

E: and that's not getting into the fact that he personally showed up just to go 'yes, I am the one blackmailing Spider-Man into doing these crimes for me, and to prove it I brought the hostage whose life I am threatening'

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 31, 2023

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

This arc certainly has more brick-addled thinking from every character than is normal even for NSM

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Being personally present at an armed robbery, and constantly threatening to shoot a man in order to force a super-powered crimefighter to help you seems like rather high stakes to steal "a million bucks." Even Dr. Evil would find this pathetic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Let's not forget the morning after Hammerhand said,"Do what I say or I'll make the Bugle think you were involved in a charity scam," the Daily Bugle just by itself without any prompting printed a front page headline accusing Spider-Man of being involved in a charity scam.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ah yes, the 80s, just gotta beat the poo poo out of a home invader and that's romance right there

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

davidspackage posted:

Being personally present at an armed robbery, and constantly threatening to shoot a man in order to force a super-powered crimefighter to help you seems like rather high stakes to steal "a million bucks." Even Dr. Evil would find this pathetic.
Not to mention that cop will now be a great witness to testify that Spider-Man is only doing these things because Hammerheadhand was threatening to shoot a hostage.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm starting to think Hammerhand's hammer hands are actually just ordinary hands in gloves made to look like cybernetic hands, and punching down the building walls was faked to trick Spidey.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yeah, I think this is kind of over, Hammerhand.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So, like, did Spidey plan this or did hammerhand just not consider that the armed bank money truck might have guards?

And yeah, hammerhand, there's two dudes with shotguns and cop with a handgun. Like even if you escape without your chest blasted open, your whole operation is over

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is it possible that Hammerhand is almost as stupid as Spider-Man himself? :psyduck:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've been through a lot of NSM, and this is bar far the least sensical plot arc I've seen

Hammerhand is like, a small time crook. A very very small time crook. They probably collected, what, $20,000 from the charity scam, tops?

And then their BIG SCORE is knocking over an armored truck with ONE MILLION DOLLARS in it

Which like... still isn't really all that much. Adjusted for inflation that's still only $1.7m in 2023 dollars

And to think his whole gang of three dudes could be stopped by 4 cops, and also Spider-man isn't actually doing anything to help

Spider-man didn't do anything of value in this entire story. He could have just webbed up the goons and hosed off and gone home at any point

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They're NYC cops. Does Hammerhand think having a black guy in the line of fire will even slow them down?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sockser posted:

I've been through a lot of NSM, and this is bar far the least sensical plot arc I've seen

Hammerhand is like, a small time crook. A very very small time crook. They probably collected, what, $20,000 from the charity scam, tops?

And then their BIG SCORE is knocking over an armored truck with ONE MILLION DOLLARS in it

Which like... still isn't really all that much. Adjusted for inflation that's still only $1.7m in 2023 dollars

And to think his whole gang of three dudes

hey man when you don't have to split the money as much it goes a lot farther

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Yeah, I think this is kind of over, Hammerhand.

Freeze, all of you! Except you, Mr. Hammerhand, you go about your business. We're just interested in your goons.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So, somehow, the guy driving the truck genuinely had no idea this was happening:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe the driver was just thrilled to finally get a chance to do some acting and show that local community theater casting director THEY WERE WRONG! :argh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bruceski posted:

They're NYC cops. Does Hammerhand think having a black guy in the line of fire will even slow them down?

No, but it'll draw their fire away from him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It also just feels like the writer giving up on the story. This whole thing ran for 2 months and i'm guessing there's 2, 3 weeks at most and that's if we really give time to MJ being upset of the situation because Peter was a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Speaking of

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jesus christ

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Soft voiced narrator in commercial: “This Valentine’s Day, tell her you love her…with spider webs.”

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
"MJ was furious and wanted to kill me, so I laid on the old Parker charm."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

He uses a helicopter to be inconspicuous.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

davidspackage posted:

"MJ was furious and wanted to kill me, so I laid on the old Parker charm."
Sounds about right for 70s/80s Peter tbh.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Murdstone posted:

He uses a helicopter to be inconspicuous.

due to the now cyclical nature of this comic, there's a 14% chance a villain escaping via helicopter leads to Mammoth Theater being destroyed.

speaking of, got a chuckle out of the comicskingdom comment section trying to parse monday's strip

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Love the cops just hanging out chatting while the crimeboss with a literal hostage just jogs gently towards the helicopter he happened to have nearby.

Also that Spidey could have just captured this guy at any point right from the very start of this story without any issue whatsoever.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Love the cops just hanging out chatting while the crimeboss with a literal hostage just jogs gently towards the helicopter he happened to have nearby.

Also that Spidey could have just captured this guy at any point right from the very start of this story without any issue whatsoever.

Yeah, this is great. The cops really just arrested Hammerhand's thugs and were like "whatever's gong on there between the ponytail guy with the gun, the man tied up with rope and Spider-man, is between them and nothing to do with us!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He... he didn't tell or explain anything to her! Including correcting her that he wasn't kissing the girl or why the girl kissed him. He just... he just broke into her apartment, put up some deranged serial-killer poo poo as a "romantic gesture", and then they're just back together again! :psyduck:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

This is probably the worst time for Spidey to try and fight, God. An enclosed space where he can only really come at hammerhand from one angle, which hammerhand can punch from.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

"Spider-Man would have to be a complete Moron to try something with you as my hostage!"

"Oh poo poo, Oh God, Oh No!"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ikasuhito posted:

"Spider-Man would have to be a complete Moron to try something with you as my hostage!"

MorningMoon posted:

This is probably the worst time for Spidey to try and fight, God. An enclosed space where he can only really come at hammerhand from one angle, which hammerhand can punch from.

:spidey: "That's why it makes perfect sense!"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Spider-Man's just trying as hard as he can to incapacitate the only one who can fly that helicopter.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

MorningMoon posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

:golfclap: