Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, in contrast to the initial statement I think interest in anything similar to the right wing talk show model full of hard punches and entertainment is if anything stronger on the leftist side than the liberal side of the broader left. The problem is that even if audience pool were equal in numbers it would be a harder sell than it is for the right. Right-wingers get in line well; not every show is loved by every conservative but they usually don't fracture the same way so they can usually function as a generally happy fascist ecosystem. You're not going to make any kind of political entertainment talk show on any portion of the left-wing spectrum that a sizable portion of the left doesn't haaaate.

Not sure about that. If you paired up an informed, articulate and brave left wing foil for a show like this, it might drive ratings higher and attract even more right wing media listeners since now they have a punching bag and would certainly get triggered enough to hate listen the way some of us have done with Rush and Hannity. We know these people are already filled with and fueled by hate, so imagine some Al Franken/Jon Stewart type throwing some red blue meat out there that invites angry listeners to call in and be the first one to debunk the fake news.

I honestly think it's a decent idea that's worth trying and that could even be marketed as The Brand New Fair and Balanced show, even though the host on the right would obviously have the show slanted their way. It MIGHT even bring some left leaning listeners into the fold since all they have are the aforementioned podcasts, NPR I guess and whatever the gently caress MSNBC is nowadays. You'd have to get two relative lightning rods to represent each side that can draw the right amount of heat/hate and have some sort of name recognition. Maybe rotate the hosts.

It works for sports shows, where motherfuckers just argue with each other and come up with Hot Takes, and has also worked on day time TV and reality shows where the whole attraction is friction, arguments and heated arguments. Hell, it works on cable news. Ideally, it would actually be GOOD and have pundits arguing in good faith while presenting good evidence for their talking points (it won't but it could) and even if it turns into a bleeped out expletive filled shouting match (and it probably would), we have lots of examples of people who like watching that type of poo poo too.

People might listen to Al Franken argue with..I dunno...Bill O'Reilly. Something like that anyway involving people who need work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Discendo Vox posted:

The problem of doing talk radio/podcast poo poo is that it's still poo poo, regardless of the putative ideology involved. Reactionary aural enemy-punching in a long-term, highly passive medium doesn't produce nuanced or informed participants, and they're more primed for the form- ingroup-outgroup, sloganeering, and a lack of critical thought- than they are for the content.
Yeah, and the reason propagandistic radio hasn't worked on people who aren't part of the pro-terrible ideological movement is probably because it's terrible.

I think the way to fight the malign influence of radio/podcast guys isn't to make better shows, with the right opinions, it's to make the very idea of being somebody who spends their days talking about the Liberal Agenda uncool and embarrassing. Not like, "Oh, Ben Shapiro is so hateful," but in a way that would even make your average conservative think it was a dorky-as-gently caress thing to do. Like "Jeez won't that little pencilneck shut the gently caress up and just go shoot a gun in the woods like a normal person?"

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would totally watch "Franken & O'Reilly," though.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mellow Seas posted:

I would totally watch "Franken & O'Reilly," though.

I'd wait to see how long before Franken drops the word "falafel" on O'Reilly.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure about that. If you paired up an informed, articulate and brave left wing foil for a show like this, it might drive ratings higher and attract even more right wing media listeners since now they have a punching bag and would certainly get triggered enough to hate listen the way some of us have done with Rush and Hannity. We know these people are already filled with and fueled by hate, so imagine some Al Franken/Jon Stewart type throwing some red blue meat out there that invites angry listeners to call in and be the first one to debunk the fake news.

I honestly think it's a decent idea that's worth trying and that could even be marketed as The Brand New Fair and Balanced show, even though the host on the right would obviously have the show slanted their way. It MIGHT even bring some left leaning listeners into the fold since all they have are the aforementioned podcasts, NPR I guess and whatever the gently caress MSNBC is nowadays. You'd have to get two relative lightning rods to represent each side that can draw the right amount of heat/hate and have some sort of name recognition. Maybe rotate the hosts.

It works for sports shows, where motherfuckers just argue with each other and come up with Hot Takes, and has also worked on day time TV and reality shows where the whole attraction is friction, arguments and heated arguments. Hell, it works on cable news. Ideally, it would actually be GOOD and have pundits arguing in good faith while presenting good evidence for their talking points (it won't but it could) and even if it turns into a bleeped out expletive filled shouting match (and it probably would), we have lots of examples of people who like watching that type of poo poo too.

People might listen to Al Franken argue with..I dunno...Bill O'Reilly. Something like that anyway involving people who need work.

Having the thing be a Morton Downey Jr. Jerry Springer hootin hollerin chair bashing fest in no way serves the purpose of having an actual discussion that people will remember and absorb although it could draw an audience and make money.

So you really have to decide what you are going for here.

The exchange of ideas debate shows have been done and immediately predate (and in many ways led to) the era of cable news. They had names like Agronsky and Co., The McLaughlin Group and eventually became the cable news versions like the CNN Crossfire show.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I think one reason such a show would be destined to fail is the fact that left and right wing audiences will have very different expectations. Plus generational differences, with conservatives mostly old and liberals mostly young.

It's already to the point that people on opposite sides of the political spectrum have very different values and tastes when it comes to the media they consume, products they buy, and hobbies they take part in.

When it comes to politics I already know what I believe in and why, what would I get out of such a show? Podcasts or whatever are fine for entertainment, but they're too susceptible to bullshit for anything else, and to me politics isn't entertaining.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I would only approve of one feature of a left right debate show: Electric shock should be administered to anyone interrupting or talking over another. This feature should be a surprise introduction on the first episode so the worst offenders would get zapped a few to several times before they figured it out.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Zwabu posted:

I would only approve of one feature of a left right debate show: Electric shock should be administered to anyone interrupting or talking over another. This feature should be a surprise introduction on the first episode so the worst offenders would get zapped a few to several times before they figured it out.

And also any time either one knowingly lies about something some big dude comes out from behind the stage and smashes one of their hands with a hammer

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, and the reason propagandistic radio hasn't worked on people who aren't part of the pro-terrible ideological movement is probably because it's terrible.

I think the way to fight the malign influence of radio/podcast guys isn't to make better shows, with the right opinions, it's to make the very idea of being somebody who spends their days talking about the Liberal Agenda uncool and embarrassing. Not like, "Oh, Ben Shapiro is so hateful," but in a way that would even make your average conservative think it was a dorky-as-gently caress thing to do. Like "Jeez won't that little pencilneck shut the gently caress up and just go shoot a gun in the woods like a normal person?"

Thing is, to me, if anecdotal evidence means anything, is that a LOT of people tune into this poo poo to be TOLD what to think. It's odd that I can listen to people talk in the lunch room and automatically KNOW what that loving radio said.

Zwabu posted:

Having the thing be a Morton Downey Jr. Jerry Springer hootin hollerin chair bashing fest in no way serves the purpose of having an actual discussion that people will remember and absorb although it could draw an audience and make money.

So you really have to decide what you are going for here.

The exchange of ideas debate shows have been done and immediately predate (and in many ways led to) the era of cable news. They had names like Agronsky and Co., The McLaughlin Group and eventually became the cable news versions like the CNN Crossfire show.

I know it wouldn't and you're right. I said it would probably suck and degenerate into exactly what you said. I just think it would get ratings and could be successful. I never said it would be a good thing.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 29, 2023

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

I think the major problem with this is that most left wing/liberal talk shows fall into the Bill Maher camp. It's mostly talk from neoliberal leaning folks and just outright lacks the "entertainment" value that right wing talk shows tend to have. When you actually get a left wing talk show that gets entertaining (thinking of Chapo Trap House), it gets called "the dirtbag left" and isn't treated seriously.

Bill Maher probably isn't the greatest example but every time I tune into a mainstream left wing pundit I'm either bored to tears or they punctuate their commentary with appeals to Capital.

Talk radio requires advertisers and heavy subsidies from behind the scenes sponsors or sympathetic think tanks. Since right wing media aligns with the interests of the ultra wealthy and corporations it's easy for them to get funding. However, left leaning content will be unable to get that capital because no wealthy patrons or corporations will subsidize your content.

Even if you could somehow finance your show, you need the heavily consolidated radio broadcasters to carry your content making mass distribution a non starter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean they tried to do a left wing radio network during the Bush era and it didn’t last

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean they tried to do a left wing radio network during the Bush era and it didn’t last

Yeah it was self-sabatoged.
The national level brand, Air America, is gone but the local affiliates are still there

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have no idea if it’s still there but there used to be a left leaning channel on SiriusXM

There were at least three right wing ones

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have no idea if it’s still there but there used to be a left leaning channel on SiriusXM

There were at least three right wing ones

It's still there, and about that same ratio. But you also get MSNBC.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

OgNar posted:

RFK slipping a little Nazi messaging into his rhetoric with the 1488.

RFKJr is kinda funny to me because I was watching his MA senate run a few years ago, and it became obvious that not only was he just running for senate because "that's the thing Kennedy's do", but he had no plans or ideas of his own and the *best* version of himself he was able to put out there was "Antivax Ed Markey but a Kennedy".

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neito posted:

RFKJr is kinda funny to me because I was watching his MA senate run a few years ago, and it became obvious that not only was he just running for senate because "that's the thing Kennedy's do", but he had no plans or ideas of his own and the *best* version of himself he was able to put out there was "Antivax Ed Markey but a Kennedy".
RFK Jr. didn't run for Senate, that was Joe Kennedy III, who is his 42 year-old nephew. He's just a conventional if slightly conservative Democrat.

He didn't have any reasons why he should've replaced Markey, but he's not anti-vax, at least not in any public way. RFK Jr would've had a lot of arguments as to why he should've replaced Markey, but I don't think they would've been very good ones, and might have involved Crystal Skulls or the Protocols of the Elders of Zion or something.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mellow Seas posted:

RFK Jr. didn't run for Senate, that was Joe Kennedy III, who is his 42 year-old nephew. He's just a conventional if slightly conservative Democrat.

He didn't have any reasons why he should've replaced Markey, but he's not anti-vax, at least not in any public way. RFK Jr would've had a lot of arguments as to why he should've replaced Markey, but I don't think they would've been very good ones, and might have involved Crystal Skulls or the Protocols of the Elders of Zion or something.

You're right. Somehow I confused the two.

Joe Kennedy was, indeed, the one who was basically "What if Markey, but a Kennedy, gimme senatorial seats plz k thx".Now that I'm thinking of it, RFK Jr has always been a weird anti-vaxxer first, hasn't he? Like even back in the initial era of "the MMR vaccine causes autisms" push in the late Bush/early Obama years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes RFK Jr is like one of the early anti-vaxx people who had a major profile

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

RFK Jr sounds like a crazy street person because of his voice disorder, but then when you examine the content of what he's saying, he has crazy street person ideas too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Neito posted:

You're right. Somehow I confused the two.

Joe Kennedy was, indeed, the one who was basically "What if Markey, but a Kennedy, gimme senatorial seats plz k thx".Now that I'm thinking of it, RFK Jr has always been a weird anti-vaxxer first, hasn't he? Like even back in the initial era of "the MMR vaccine causes autisms" push in the late Bush/early Obama years.
The first time I was aware of him was in 2006 when he pushed a conspiracy theory about the 2004 election being stolen in the pages of Rolling Stone. Like all good conspiracy theories, it was long on claims and "coincidences" and short of anything resembling actual proof.

Some checking showed he also published an autism/vaccines article in RS in 2005.

Neither of those articles is up on the Rolling Stone website. :tinfoil:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Joe Kennedy III was the one who looked like a moist Conan O'Brien

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

TAke a look, y'all:

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1685682200686071808

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oh he's doing the thing from mgs2 where the colonel starts glitching out

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Right Wing Media: It%5C%27s%20Fake%20News%20%26%238211%3B%20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That was in my Twitter feed as an ad so I made sure to block his rear end

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cybersecurity expert

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Thought it was McConnel that had the stroke.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Retracting only when charges get filled is bad actually.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Still no idea how to manage funds.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1686049738129653760

Remember when he lost $300 million investing the states funds in Russian companies?
https://www.wfla.com/news/politics/florida-pension-fund-loses-200m-in-russian-investments-state-rep-says/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Also how many old people in NH own crypto?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's for the ones with a grandkid that won't shut up about crypto.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

FlamingLiberal posted:

live free or die

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

OgNar posted:

Still no idea how to manage funds.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1686049738129653760

Remember when he lost $300 million investing the states funds in Russian companies?
https://www.wfla.com/news/politics/florida-pension-fund-loses-200m-in-russian-investments-state-rep-says/

If he wants Peter Thiel’s undercover donations he has to commit to enable Thiel’s crypto grift.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The 6pm guy on WGOP had a novel idea today.

He said there's a possible defense for Trump because "he listened to his lawyers". Guy admitted Giuliani was wrong for the most part but tried to paint Donald as the victim because everything he learned about Dominion machines and all that was his attorneys telling him that and not something that Trump declared on his own. I know that "ineffective counsel" can be a defense except, in this case, we know that's full of poo poo because Trump got on TV and Tweeted crying about rigged elections well before the polls even opened.

The funniest part was the host saying that "You never know, Donald Trump could throw those lawyers under the bus", THe best and brightest ones I imagine. Yeah, radio guy, Trump MIGHT throw someone under a bus if it saves his rear end. It would be a first.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

NH is like 40% old people, 60% masshole techbros with a "taxation is theft" bumper sticker.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I genuinely don't understand the angle these guys have anymore. Does he just like a man in uniform?

https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1686125766340132867

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Why does that tweet have so many likes

Is this some right wing coup that I don’t know about?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why does that tweet have so many likes

Is this some right wing coup that I don’t know about?

It's more of a left wing coup, apparently

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I genuinely don't understand the angle these guys have anymore. Does he just like a man in uniform?

https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1686125766340132867
Twitter added context

While the recent coup in Niger may spark unrest and could impact mineral markets worldwide, there is no evidence Traore has banned Uranium sales. In 2019 Burkino Faso did take back unused mining permits and reauctioned them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that guy’s name really Jackson Hinkle?