Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2LwxjMhFEY

There is a new Warhammer MMO in development to be disappointed by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
If it is an actual proper MMORPG, I will be there on launch day, ready to get disappointed again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

If it is an actual proper MMORPG, I will be there on launch day, ready to get disappointed again.

:yeah:

And from that video, it sounds like the game is nothing more than an idea written down on a notepad. The devs still need to figure out funding and a super basic premise. So we are like 5 - 6 years away.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hell yeah, can't wait to have my dreams of a good Warhammer MMO crushed once again

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

it's being made by jack emmert, creator of such things like

city of heroes before he left and it got good
the failed marvel mmo
champions online
star trek online
neverwinter
another failed marvel mmo

you know, I feel like my pattern recognition is kicking in!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah Jack Emmert is basically the last guy I want making any MMO :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

the failed marvel mmo
champions online
star trek online
neverwinter

How responsible is he for Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter's horrendous monetization? That is what really killed those MMOs for me. Josh Strife Hayes did an awesome review of Neverwinter and just how awful the cash shop is. This isn't cosmetic stuff, but being able to pay thousands of dollars to skip all content and have best in slot gear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyzfF9sJ-rc

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 30, 2023

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I said come in! posted:

How responsible is he for Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter's horrendous monetization? That is what really killed those MMOs for me. Josh Strife Hayes did an awesome review of Neverwinter and just how awful the cash shop is. This isn't cosmetic stuff, but being able to pay thousands of dollars to skip all content and have best in slot gear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyzfF9sJ-rc

afaik the monetization in both could be described as either "fair" or "not the worst freemium in the world" until cryptic studios was acquired by perfectworld (and then subsequently embracer group) where it completely fell off a cliff.

if that gives you hope, don't fret! this new warhammer mmo is being published by netease, purveyors of such titles like

diablo immortal

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

afaik the monetization in both could be described as either "fair" or "not the worst freemium in the world" until cryptic studios was acquired by perfectworld (and then subsequently embracer group) where it completely fell off a cliff.

if that gives you hope, don't fret! this new warhammer mmo is being published by netease, purveyors of such titles like

diablo immortal

:cripes: gently caress! yeah its dead on arrival.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
NetEase should stick to pig farming :colbert:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Abroham Lincoln posted:

the failed marvel mmo
champions online
star trek online
neverwinter

drat that’s a hell of a rap sheet

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Neverwinter, monetization aside, was pretty fun IMO but STO and Champions were stinky poop and City of Heroes, while good, got MUCH better when Jack left, as Abroham Lincoln noted, so my hopes for this game are.... tempered.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Yes but see this man brings PROJECTS to RELEASE, which is the one single metric the beancounters can comprehend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Only way to put out a good Warhammer mmo would be doing Age of Reckoning again but with more of the races (skaven, lizardmen, etc) and finished cities.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

To slightly forgive him, STO was acquired by Cryptic after it had spent several years in development hell and they had to ship it out very very fast, so they just cludged together whatever they could. Also at the 50 level cap space combat was really fun. Ground was a loving disaster though. Land of contrasts is what I'm saying.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hra Mormo posted:

Yes but see this man brings PROJECTS to RELEASE, which is the one single metric the beancounters can comprehend.

To be fair to him, being able to actually bring an MMORPG to release is a huge accomplishment nowadays.

Eimi posted:

To slightly forgive him, STO was acquired by Cryptic after it had spent several years in development hell and they had to ship it out very very fast, so they just cludged together whatever they could. Also at the 50 level cap space combat was really fun. Ground was a loving disaster though. Land of contrasts is what I'm saying.

STO in 2023 badly needs a complete overhaul of everything. So many mechanics make no sense, are not intuitive, and add nothing to the game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

To be fair to him, being able to actually bring an MMORPG to release is a huge accomplishment nowadays.

STO in 2023 badly needs a complete overhaul of everything. So many mechanics make no sense, are not intuitive, and add nothing to the game.

The only good thing is that power creep has gotten so insane you can play literally anything and be fine. Otherwise yeah I agree. Also nuTrek being a thing really hurts the story of the game because now Paramount pays much more attention for them and they have to push the new shows.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eimi posted:

The only good thing is that power creep has gotten so insane you can play literally anything and be fine. Otherwise yeah I agree. Also nuTrek being a thing really hurts the story of the game because now Paramount pays much more attention for them and they have to push the new shows.

Which really sucks because modern day Star Trek largely sucks a lot of poo poo. I will say this though; Strange New Worlds is really good. It doesn't quite get to the level of 90s Trek, but it gets very close, and is what I have been wanting from Star Trek since Voyager ended. It's a perfect balance of adventure of the week, and seasonal storyline, the writing is just not quite there, at least not for season 1. I haven't had a chance to watch season 2 yet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Which really sucks because modern day Star Trek largely sucks a lot of poo poo. I will say this though; Strange New Worlds is really good. It doesn't quite get to the level of 90s Trek, but it gets very close, and is what I have been wanting from Star Trek since Voyager ended. It's a perfect balance of adventure of the week, and seasonal storyline, the writing is just not quite there, at least not for season 1. I haven't had a chance to watch season 2 yet.

Personally I think it's all bad outside of the animation which is okay to decent (Prodigy is the decent one). But I'm in the small minority of hating SNW. I'd much rather spend time praying we get S4 of the Orville. Like seriously if you like SNW at all, you owe it to yourself to watch the Orville, it's incredible. The first three episodes can be a bit rough, but if you can stand Lower Decks, it's on the same level. Seth MacFarlane just tricked Fox into making Star Trek by lying and saying it was Family Guy in space, it's quite incredible. The Orville is so good I'd say it's second season rivals TNG s3. It also ended with a character saying "you can get Utopia but first you have to get rid of capitalism, but no one is gonna do it for you, you gotta do it yourself" and then the character looks straight at the camera for 5 minutes, which is incredibly especially with how cowardly nuTrek is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh yeah the Orville is loving amazing. Nothing modern Star Trek comes even close. Very impatient for season 4.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

Only way to put out a good Warhammer mmo would be doing Age of Reckoning again but with more of the races (skaven, lizardmen, etc) and finished cities.

I think it was confirmed by a LinkedIn post that it's a 40k game (but now I can't find any reference to that post, so maybe not)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
lower decks is the best trek since ds9 went off the air

haven't started snw yet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kaysette posted:

haven't started snw yet

Give season 1 a try!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

I think it was confirmed by a LinkedIn post that it's a 40k game (but now I can't find any reference to that post, so maybe not)

I don't know if I'd be in on a 40k mmo, despite liking 40k and mmos a lot. It's in that weird area for me like trying to make a 40k Total War, despite how successful the fantasy one has been: it's the wrong genre. 40k doesn't need an MMO, it needs a Battlefield (or someday if technology allows for it, a Battlebit) or Squad or Hell Let Loose clone that is actually good and not Eternal Crusade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think the best 40K game right now is Battlesector, it just needs more factions https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295500/Warhammer_40000_Battlesector/

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Honestly if you just want to screw around with 3 other people in vaguely MMO-ish shooter fashion ala Warframe (which is what half of MMOs seem to be these days), Darktide now does a decent enough of job of it for 40k. Not the most life-changing experience, but better than the reviews would suggest and there's definitely some cool moments to be had.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't know if I'd be in on a 40k mmo, despite liking 40k and mmos a lot. It's in that weird area for me like trying to make a 40k Total War, despite how successful the fantasy one has been: it's the wrong genre. 40k doesn't need an MMO, it needs a Battlefield (or someday if technology allows for it, a Battlebit) or Squad or Hell Let Loose clone that is actually good and not Eternal Crusade.

Yeah the ideal 40k would be a Battlefield. It's nuts nobody's done it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Devs have been deathly allergic to asymmetric multiplayer since like ... AvP2? Was that really the last one?

It's not even a concept anymore but it's what 40k is supposed to be entirely about. I don't even think that's GW's failing for once.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ranzear posted:

Devs have been deathly allergic to asymmetric multiplayer since like ... AvP2? Was that really the last one?

Dead by Daylight is pretty popular

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Evolve comes to mind too. Turning it over in my head why those feel different. I think it's because each teams goals are asymmetric as well, plus the major difference that the other 'team' is just one player.

Asymmetric goals lends a bigger asymmetry in experience? Half of a round as monster in Evolve was just munching on scenery while waiting for them to catch up to you, while the hunters had actual tracking gameplay and parkour traversal or whatever.

Derail: My favorite round in Evolve was when I was heavily injured and just stopped and pretended to be a bush next to a dark wall and they all walked right past me. I managed to heal up and trounce them and we all watched the replay together and laughed.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 30, 2023

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Yet Savage was a cult hit

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jossar posted:

Honestly if you just want to screw around with 3 other people in vaguely MMO-ish shooter fashion ala Warframe (which is what half of MMOs seem to be these days), Darktide now does a decent enough of job of it for 40k. Not the most life-changing experience, but better than the reviews would suggest and there's definitely some cool moments to be had.

This is kind of where I'm at currently. I largely prefer playing games that just cut to the chase and distill the portions of MMOs that I like: games like Darktide, Deep Rock Galactic, Last Epoch, Monster Hunter, God Eater, Kingdoms of Amalur, Witcher 3 and so on give me those dungeon explorations and raid fights and class/skill building and such that I love but with a lot less commitment/hoops to jump through and more interesting complexity since its singularly focused upon instead of having development spread thin. Of course, that's just because I'm probably a mismatch for MMOs and not appreciating the many other social facets and scale of the world it brings to the table (though I'd argue that MMOs don't even appreciate that themselves since they constantly break their own immersion with hundreds of 'the hero of light'(s) running around). Despite this, for some reason MMOs still draw me to them and I occasionally get the urge to check them out, but I always feel suckered by the end: for example I played Lost Ark for so many hours because I really loved the Guardian Raids, but at the end of the day I realized I could've just played Monster Hunter and it would've got me what I wanted so much faster and better. I'll most likely be checking out Wayfinder and Blue Protocol as well, even though I know they'll be lesser than if I just stuck with single-player focused games: what is this weird allure of MMOs that goes against my better judgement?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

FutureCop posted:

what is this weird allure of MMOs that goes against my better judgement?

The sense of open-endedness, I guess. The sense that there's always another adventure waiting just around the corner. A single player game, even a very large and expansive one, always feels like its world ultimately revolves around you. A MMO doesn't, or at least so it promises. In practice things always default back to chosen hero archetypes and the experience is never as satisfying as it seems, sending you back after a few hours (or a few hundred). But the dream is there.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I remember in my mid-20s I'd pick playing WoW over playing a single player game because even though I'd have more fun with the single player game, it didn't leave me with anything. Meanwhile if I had a thoroughly mediocre time with WoW, at least I would have some gold and maybe a new item on my character.

Probably the closest I've ever come to serious mental illness.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah the ideal 40k would be a Battlefield. It's nuts nobody's done it.

They kinda went for it with that Eternal Crusade poo poo like 10 years ago and fumbled it.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Hra Mormo posted:

I remember in my mid-20s I'd pick playing WoW over playing a single player game because even though I'd have more fun with the single player game, it didn't leave me with anything. Meanwhile if I had a thoroughly mediocre time with WoW, at least I would have some gold and maybe a new item on my character.

Probably the closest I've ever come to serious mental illness.

Yeah, having some "tangible progress" in a world you share with others feels good, no matter how digital it is in the end. Your gold, items and gear can be used for progress in the future or to flex on your friends, but your 100% save of a singleplayer game is something that gets shelved and you move on with "nothing to show for the time spent" after it's over. Remarkably powerful strain of brainworms.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Kaysette posted:

haven't started snw yet

Lower decks is only Trek ive watched since voyager.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Totally agree on SNW. Season 2 is still two episodes away from over, but it’s good. SNW’s only real sins are it still taking place in the past, instead of after Voyager, and being a modern show, it’s forced to have more reliance on action and special effects than would be ideal.

Overall though, quite good. Except, apparently the next episode is supposedly a freaking musical episode. There has never been a good musical episode of a non-musical show, so I am pretty annoyed.

The Orville is amazing
Lower Decks is very good
SNW is very good
The SNW/LD crossover episode might be my favorite Star Trek episode since TNG (you reallllly want to have watched LD though)
Discovery is absolute dogshit (at least through season 2 where I couldn’t stand to hatewatch it anymore.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FutureCop posted:

what is this weird allure of MMOs that goes against my better judgement?

The human desire to build something and have it matter for others imo. Optimization in a single player game is utterly insane unless you are extremely into numbers, and things like Monster Hunter and Darktide are more single player games with extra people rather than true "multiplayer" games that absolutely require synergy between people. MMOs give that feeling of social work towards a goal that other games really just cannot match, with the trick being that the goal does not actually matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
playing with friends is more fun, and these days good mmos tend to have level sync or similar so you can play with all your friends regardless of their individual progress, it's great

hell, it's not even limited to mmos, even path of exile has level sync. i touched it a few times over the years, but since it got that in i've played a lot more