Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

eh remember the US famously never blaming south vietnam and the ANA for stab-in-the-backs

I don't know something about the Political Ukrianians makes me think they'll blame Jews and Roma before they blame the United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Gaily they peal and gayly they return,
To echo the Bells of London Town,
When London's heart doth in slumber yearn,
You'll discern the Bells resounding down.
In excelsis gloria!
Tolling for Elizabeth,
Tolling for our noble mistress - seven decades and one year's breath!

THE BELLS:
Here is more honour than Gloriana dared -
Gloriana dared or than the Orient bore -
The golden Orient bore. A Queen declared -
A Queen declared her people were her core.
Her people, her heart, and above all Kings set,
Above all Kings have enshrined their Queen, their love's abiding met -
Have enshrined their love, their Queen, their Queen their precious bet!
Renouncing her, we do ourselves renounce,
In her disowning, are we ourselves undone.
Mirror was she of our constant vows,
And conduit of our destiny beneath the sun;
The very essence of Youth's fervent dream, and still
Companion of sagacious Age that sought her will!

Our forebears had affirmed to us her grace -
Her grace the decades have proven beyond all word.
And beyond all word, our faithful hearts in place,
Always our hearts lay open, seen and heard -
Therefore, men bestowed the treasure of their blood
To this one woman - for she did understood!

Four o' the clock! Now all the earth is hushed.
Oh, London Bells, to all the world unveil
The Secret of the Commonwealth - read who is rushed!
The Glory of the People - touch who dare assail!

THE BELLS:
Power that has embraced itself all kingly reigns,
St. Margaret's: By love overcome -
St. Martin's: By love overcome -
St. Clement Danes: By love overcome,
The greater power defers!

THE BELLS:
For we were hers, as she, as she was ours,
Bow Bells: And she was ours -
St. Paul's: And she was ours -
Westminster: And she was ours,
As we, indeed, were hers!

THE BELLS:
As we were hers!"

Such are the tales that the Bells do tell,
Of the Queen's own soldiers, brave and bold,
Canadians, Britons, Australians swell,
In Afghanistan's dust and Iraq's stronghold.
Stories of valour, of courage raw,
Echoing in the chimes of London's core.
In excelsis gloria!
Tolling for the Empire's soldiers, from every shore!

Oh, listen close, to the resounding knell,
Ringing in honour of every fallen son,
Sung by the Bells of the glorious dell,
In memory of every battle won.
Toll, London Bells, ring far and wide,
The Glory of the People, their strength and pride!
The Commonwealth's Secret, by none denied,
The tale of their heroes, by none belied.

:britain:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember someone in my extended family on my mother's side took one of those DNA tests and somewhere in that lineage can be traced back to Greeks

There were a huge amount of Griegos in the Spanish Empire. In both Cortez and Pizarro's expeditions nearly (if not) all of the artillerymen were Greeks, and I think most of the engineers too.

I seem to remember one of the books on the Spanish Empire explained why. Because the Spanish Empire was loosely organized, adventuring companies were assembled almost like feudal levies, recruiting groups of people from regions within the Spanish Hapsburg lands for one specialty or another, led by their own captains. Basques often made up the sailing crews for example, Italians I believe made up a large share of the arquebusiers.

When it came to the settlement of the Spanish Empire, very few women from the Old World came to the new. These were mostly elite women who were marrying successful captains to establish their position in Spanish society. In fact, the captains who secured marriages to women with lands back on the peninsula, or connections to court, often returned there. That meant for the first decades, sometimes a century, of Spanish administration, there may be hardly any European women at all.

In the first generation, intermarriage with indigenous people was the rule. As time went on, colour lines began to be established. This was because a flourishing colony would attract Spanish administration, penisulares, forming the Viceroyalty and their companions. With them would be their wives and daughters. Additionally, a successful colony would begin to have commercial ties with the Spanish Empire and beyond, so the cosmopolitan bourgeois of the Spanish Empire would begin to set up shop in the major cities. This in turn led to the castas system as marriages to European women were available along class lines, and so class and race became intertwined within two or three generations of the establishment of Spanish rule. I'm sure you already knew this part.

To tie it all together, it meant that the Basques, Italians and Greeks married mestizas, very rarely criollas, and most often, indias.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:38 on Jul 31, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KomradeX posted:

I don't know something about the Political Ukrianians makes me think they'll blame Jews and Roma before they blame the United States

actually i was referring to the NAFO PoV but your point is taken

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

What is von der Leyen's position with respect to the illegal use of force in Iraq?
"nuke their rear end, take their gas", probably
unrelated:

quote:

On 18 July 2022 von der Leyen called Azerbaijan a reliable partner for energy supply, later signing an agreement with Azerbaijan government intended to diversify gas supplies in the context of the ongoing Russian-Ukraine war 2022. This sparked controversy when Azerbaijan attacked its neighbour Armenia just a few months later, and Azeri soldiers committed various documented atrocities including rapes and the murder of prisoners of war.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Frosted Flake posted:

"Gaily they peal and gayly they return,
To echo the Bells of London Town,
When London's heart doth in slumber yearn,
You'll discern the Bells resounding down.
In excelsis gloria!
Tolling for Elizabeth,
Tolling for our noble mistress - seven decades and one year's breath!

THE BELLS:
Here is more honour than Gloriana dared -
Gloriana dared or than the Orient bore -
The golden Orient bore. A Queen declared -
A Queen declared her people were her core.
Her people, her heart, and above all Kings set,
Above all Kings have enshrined their Queen, their love's abiding met -
Have enshrined their love, their Queen, their Queen their precious bet!
Renouncing her, we do ourselves renounce,
In her disowning, are we ourselves undone.
Mirror was she of our constant vows,
And conduit of our destiny beneath the sun;
The very essence of Youth's fervent dream, and still
Companion of sagacious Age that sought her will!

Our forebears had affirmed to us her grace -
Her grace the decades have proven beyond all word.
And beyond all word, our faithful hearts in place,
Always our hearts lay open, seen and heard -
Therefore, men bestowed the treasure of their blood
To this one woman - for she did understood!

Four o' the clock! Now all the earth is hushed.
Oh, London Bells, to all the world unveil
The Secret of the Commonwealth - read who is rushed!
The Glory of the People - touch who dare assail!

THE BELLS:
Power that has embraced itself all kingly reigns,
St. Margaret's: By love overcome -
St. Martin's: By love overcome -
St. Clement Danes: By love overcome,
The greater power defers!

THE BELLS:
For we were hers, as she, as she was ours,
Bow Bells: And she was ours -
St. Paul's: And she was ours -
Westminster: And she was ours,
As we, indeed, were hers!

THE BELLS:
As we were hers!"

Such are the tales that the Bells do tell,
Of the Queen's own soldiers, brave and bold,
Canadians, Britons, Australians swell,
In Afghanistan's dust and Iraq's stronghold.
Stories of valour, of courage raw,
Echoing in the chimes of London's core.
In excelsis gloria!
Tolling for the Empire's soldiers, from every shore!

Oh, listen close, to the resounding knell,
Ringing in honour of every fallen son,
Sung by the Bells of the glorious dell,
In memory of every battle won.
Toll, London Bells, ring far and wide,
The Glory of the People, their strength and pride!
The Commonwealth's Secret, by none denied,
The tale of their heroes, by none belied.

:britain:

Gay

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

By none belied. :(

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Palladium posted:

actually i was referring to the NAFO PoV but your point is taken

I think the NAFO types will split into two camps. The majority who will just act like it never happened, because ultimately this is a Marvel movie to them and they make no bones about thats what it is to them; and a smaller group who will blain Ukrianians slavic skullshape for being unable to adapt to NATO thinking and doctrine

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - Russia lost 87 units of equipment last week, including 33 strongholds, 26 armored combat vehicles and 15 tanks

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f085120bb1da599
1h ago
13.44 BST

Mykhailo Fedorov, Ukraine’s minister of digital transformation, said Russia lost 87 units of equipment last week, including 33 strongholds, 26 armored combat vehicles and 15 tanks.

These claims have not been independently verified.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is a stronghold?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Remember that NATO decided that training and doctrine could be replaced with an app. That's key to the cycle of "the west talks up big plans for a successful Ukrainian offensive" and "the west throws Ukraine under the bus when rubber hits the road". They were never given the ability to succeed because how the west has been running this since 2014 was geared around a successful proxy war from their perspective, correcting the mistakes of Georgia.

Georgia could not be transformed into a NATO military in time to confront Russia, but what if that could just be done away with by an app?
Georgia sought terms after 200 KIA and the capital being threatened, but what if they were ideologically hardened?
The Georgian military at the operational level ignored NATO advisors and the presidential office in Tbilisi to preserve their forces, which was criticized harshly as operational "failure" postwar, but what if their operations could be controlled by NATO and the president's office down to the battalion level?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
what kind of equipment is a stronghold

presumably not this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

euphronius posted:

What is a stronghold?

A location with a number of basic enemy npcs, a treasure chest, and 1 elite units that protects the chest. After clearing it respawns envies but not the rewards after 1 week in game time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

What is a stronghold?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

euphronius posted:

What is a stronghold?

the one with Crag Hack

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

the one with Crag Hack

Conflux ftw

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

presumably not this

no they mean that. Russia ran out of their modern bases so now they're hiding in ancient castles

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ukrainian troops upping their item level with epic loot form the strongholds

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

now that's actually wunderwaffen

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

that definition is so vague, anything could be a stronghold when you're fighting infantry that start digging in as soon as they're stood still for longer than a cig break. latrine pit? stronghold. 2 foot deep crater with an aid kit pushed into the dirt? stronghold

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its not like heroes 3 was ever a particularly balanced game, but conflux was still clearly op

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Zodium posted:

how can we expect the primitive peoples to understand the nuances of our advanced race science?
My alma mater was at the cutting edge of that stuff.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Institute_for_Racial_Biology

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

its not like heroes 3 was ever a particularly balanced game, but conflux was still clearly op

everyone remembers sir mullich and luna being OP as poo poo but the pros all agree galthran the skelly lord is the true king of broken

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Reading a book about an air cav company commander in Vietnam and this page made me think of FF

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
That sniper article reads like wholecloth fiction invented from the authors hotel room in lviv - it's all a little too just so

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
the sniper smokes cigarettes and then blows the smoke out in the shape of his name

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cuttlefush posted:

the sniper smokes cigarettes and then blows the smoke out in the shape of his name

Russian Agent XXX just has to shoot a heat-seeker at him.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

presumably not this

I only remember that one mission where there were knights coming for your rear end.

And you had to setup a tannery and a leather production line.

To build...crossbows

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

Reading a book about an air cav company commander in Vietnam and this page made me think of FF

C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la guerre.

Division artillery, air support and attack helicopters for a village?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
look that village was no angel

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh, the "stronghold" is a translation thing from the Ukrainian side.

Both sides keep talking about support/lean points (опорный пункт), which you can interpret it as a strong hold. But like it's a combination of words of support and location/point.

It doesn't have the same connotation of hold or holding like the english stronghold. Which would be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krepost in slavic.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Palladium posted:

are those 524 kills by the adrian zenz school of counting statistics

well the first time they killed a guy it took them 10 rounds so by emptying another 5230 rounds in the general direction of the enemy, they are guaranteed to get another 523.

simple maths

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

Oh, the "stronghold" is a translation thing from the Ukrainian side.

Both sides keep talking about support/lean points (опорный пункт), which you can interpret it as a strong hold. But like it's a combination of words of support and location/point.

It doesn't have the same connotation of hold or holding like the english stronghold. Which would be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krepost in slavic.

The Krepost (Крепост[1], "Fortress") is a military building and defensive structure in Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition that is unique to the Bulgarians and becomes available once the Castle Age is reached. It is a lesser version of the Castle which can train Konniks, garrison units for protection, and supports 20 population but cannot research technologies.

Kreposts are cheap fortifications that can be used for attacking an enemy or for defending a location. In a similar way to Castles, they can garrison 20 units and support 20 population, but they are weaker (though they are also almost half the price of a Castle). Kreposts can train Konniks, but cannot research technologies or train Petards and Trebuchets.

Used offensively, Kreposts may outperform Castles, since they are created in less time, and the player can make almost two of them for the same price of a normal Castle. Also, the training time of Konniks in both buildings is the same, which means it is more convenient to make two Krepost instead of one Castle if the player wants to spam Konniks. It is better for Bulgarians to perform "Krepost Drops" instead of a normal Castle Drop against an opponent. Like the Castle, this building fires more arrows when garrisoning Villagers or archers inside.

Defensively, as Kreposts have less attack, range, and HP than Castles and cannot make Trebuchets, it is preferable in most cases to make regular Castles for this purpose instead; unless the player either does not have enough stone for the Castle, or wants to cover more area with the same resources in order to gain or retain some map control. Siege units can take down Kreposts in about half the time it takes to destroy a Castle, and they can more easily outrange them. Of course, like Castles and Towers, it is better to place a defensive Krepost on a choke point, behind an obstacle (like walls, cliffs or a forest) in order to protect them from non-ranged attacks, or in an elevation.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

South Vietnam was one of the most incompetent democracies since Athens.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nonsense posted:

South Vietnam was one of the most incompetent democracies since Athens.

That was deliberate, engineered by France and the US, because the communists would win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2451jFeZp0

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i wonder how many people stopped talking to mearsheimer in his personal life

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

That was deliberate, engineered by France and the US, because the communists would win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2451jFeZp0

I was about to make a comment about the US wanting to be efficient and prevent a Communist from taking power in the first place so they wouldn't have to overthrow him later, but then I remember they had to coup the South Vietnamese government anyway!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Cuttlefush posted:

Artist rendering of the Sniper Ghost relaxing after another successful mission.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Truga posted:

"nuke their rear end, take their gas", probably
unrelated:

Yeah nobody gives a poo poo about that here. But when I say we should just buy cheap gas from Russia (directly, lol) I am a tankie who loves warcrimes and genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah nobody gives a poo poo about that here. But when I say we should just buy cheap gas from Russia (directly, lol) I am a tankie who loves warcrimes and genocide.

you do