Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Oilers still suck and will suck. Hope this has been educational and informative for you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

They controlled play but that was one of the few postseasons where Ovechkin was pretty bad.

??

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
half the posts about hockey i see on other sites are about something called "booktok" and people apparently posting sexually explicit comments on the social media of alex wennberg and his wife and how is wife is fed up about it

how long until hockey again?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

clean ayers act posted:

half the posts about hockey i see on other sites are about something called "booktok" and people apparently posting sexually explicit comments on the social media of alex wennberg and his wife and how is wife is fed up about it

how long until hockey again?

thank you for posting this. it is fascinating:

https://twitter.com/nicolecutmore/status/1684745394297950208?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

https://twitter.com/duamaximoff/status/1685676826213949440?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

having fun imagining the people trying to explain this to Ron Francis and like, Dave Lowry

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Seems like I hit the perfect time to stop back into the thread as I'm utterly confused as to what went on as well, but just came across this:

https://twitter.com/dimpleboyie/status/1685544113754820609?t=BUuPlVLOECg69icOAGlD8g&s=19

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Could you imagine if the roles were reversed and some hockey player was thirsting over a book club member? They'd probably be arrested or at minimum disciplined by the league behind closed doors.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
outlaw social media

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Seems like I hit the perfect time to stop back into the thread as I'm utterly confused as to what went on as well, but just came across this:

https://twitter.com/dimpleboyie/status/1685544113754820609?t=BUuPlVLOECg69icOAGlD8g&s=19

This is how you grow the game!!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So thankful I can still spend my time on a vBulletin web forum.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

CBJSprague24 posted:

to be honest, i don't blame her. i said just about the same thing word for word when I saw Zuke do this pass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wf_sf0iaBQ

for this one, i had to take a knee. almost passed out. to do this in a game 7 through 3 guys in a 0-0 game, boy I tell you (starts sweating profusely):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dChzBclwJgU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 30, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Diet Crack posted:

Could you imagine if the roles were reversed and some hockey player was thirsting over a book club member? They'd probably be arrested or at minimum disciplined by the league behind closed doors.

Michael del Zotto says hello.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1685785319495380992?s=20

"Whoa....." -Neo

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Diet Crack posted:

This exact same thing and worse happens to women every single day on the internet, and hockey players are not exempt from this. There's a whole loving Hockey Canada scandal about it.

Oh, and remember literally like two months ago when a player was found with a trafficked woman in his hotel room and the trainer had to call the cops?

This situation is gross, consent can be pulled by the player and his family at any time, and people need to remember that they're talking about real people on the internet when they're making comments like this, but let's not pretend that it would be considered unacceptable to harass women if this was the other way around.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

HookShot posted:

Oh, and remember literally like two months ago when a player was found with a trafficked woman in his hotel room and the trainer had to call the cops?

Nope. I don't remember anything like that at all. No one remembers anything like that. Nothing like that happened. There's nothing to see here. We will take no more questions.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
This very serious conversation reminds me of what a great creator once said:

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712?lang=en

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nope. I don't remember anything like that at all. No one remembers anything like that. Nothing like that happened. There's nothing to see here. We will take no more questions.

“Didn’t you see my card?”

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Everything about the Nichushkin situation was obviously nuts but I still can’t believe the NHL and just about every journalist covering hockey saw a guy flee the scene of a police investigation, disappear with no information about his whereabouts, miss the majority of a series where his team was eliminated, and uniformly everyone said “…no need to pry”

And there’s prickly Colorado fans out there that will jump on any implication that something shady happened as if any part of those events was normal for a professional athlete.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

That event sticks in my brain the same way Varlamov's domestic abuse and kidnapping does. Everyone remember that fun time from 10 years ago?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1686008924258865154

lmao

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Good luck with that kid.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Depends how sympathetic the arbitrator is to Terry's argument that having to play for Anaheim adds a 30% premium to anyone's rightful salary.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
What the gently caress :negative:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Always go big for an arbitration hearing, there’s no downside for the player. Right?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
there's no downside at all, but that amount of discrepancy is always hysterical

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Is it like in baseball where the arbitrator just picks one or the other and doesn't get to decide on a number in between?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Is it like in baseball where the arbitrator just picks one or the other and doesn't get to decide on a number in between?

No, the arbitrator does some very complicated math and usually comes up with the average +/- a few percent.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

eXXon posted:

No, the arbitrator does some very complicated math and usually comes up with the average +/- a few percent.

Yup, Terry really should have asked for $15m per year

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Comparable players (Batherson, Eriksson Ek, Zacha, Schmaltz) are all around 5M per. Why ask for something you're not going to get. It just makes him look bad.

Also, when looking up the stats, I found that no player scored 25 goals this season.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Looks bad to whom? Ask for the moon who gives af. He's maybe worth 5.5, but hey if he can get more good for him. He'd probably be more productive on a non dogshit team as well.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Looks bad to whom? Ask for the moon who gives af. He's maybe worth 5.5, but hey if he can get more good for him. He'd probably be more productive on a non dogshit team as well.

Perhaps only eclipsed by going to museums, asking for compensation in arbitration is a surefire way to be labeled a locker-room cancer and bad culture fit. The guys hate it.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Dude scored 37 goals last year and tied for the team lead on an obviously tanking team that was 31st in goals for this year. He's had two 60+ point seasons which none of the comparables have, Schmaltz is the only one with more than one 50 point season, and the only one of those four to ever score more than Terry's 23 goals this year is Eriksson Ek, who scored 26 the year before last. I think Terry's getting a bit underrated here, and of course his ask is going to be high when he's on a team that just gave Alex Killorn 6.25m until age 37.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Comparable players (Batherson, Eriksson Ek, Zacha, Schmaltz) are all around 5M per. Why ask for something you're not going to get. It just makes him look bad.

Also, when looking up the stats, I found that no player scored 25 goals this season.

Aho just got $9.75m off a 67pt season which is what Terry had last season. Hertl's career high is 74pts and he got $8.14 x 8. Barzal hasn't had a ppg season since his rookie season and got $9.15m x 8. I appreciate the point you're making but it's never as simple as sorting by the most recent year's points and finding guys who scored around the same amount.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Clearly Terry needs to be a team player and kowtow to managements ask because management, clearly, needs to hand out another 3 years and 11.5 million to Kevin Shattenkirk l.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Whole lot of people don't understand negotiation here lol.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Clearly Terry needs to be a team player and kowtow to managements ask because management, clearly, needs to hand out another 3 years and 11.5 million to Kevin Shattenkirk l.

The Ducks just gave 34 year old Alex Killorn and his career high 64pts 4 x $6.25m so they can hit the cap floor. I think it's probably fine for Terry to want in on that action.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Killorn earned that via leadership and veteran presence and winning a thing or 2. Maybe Terry should try that and also be a team player and take even less money so Anaheim can add *checks remaining UFA players* Patrick Kane to make them even more leadership'ee and veteran competitive.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Matt Zerella posted:

Whole lot of people don't understand negotiation here lol.

Clearly Terry needs to be a team player and kowtow to managements ask because management, clearly, needs to hand out another 3 years and 11.5 million to Kevin Shattenkirk
This was the a lot of Wild press and brodcasters on Gustavsson's drawn out negotiations, insisting that his teammates were going to be upset and it'd be a lingering problem that he'd made the org hold up its offseason plans of not having any cap money while they waited for certainty. As if every teammate wasn't of the "gently caress yeah, get paid" mindset.

Ended today: $11.25m/3yr with limited trade protections in the final year. Leaves the Wild with just enough space to re-sign and scratch Addison and make one (1) callup during the season. Lets Wallstedt stay in Iowa for MAF's swan song and have at least 1 year to share duties. Not shabby for a guy who thought last year was going to be his last in the league before the Talbot deal.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Okay, last 3 seasons.

pre:
Player		GP	G	A	P	+/-	23/24 Cap hit
Matt Duchene	183	71	84	155	-2	$3
Alex Tuch	179	66	84	150	27	$4.75
Brock Boeser	201	64	86	150	-28	$6.65
Troy Terry	193	67	81	148	-20	????
Bryan Rust	197	66	80	146	12	$5.125
Bjorkstrand	217	66	80	146	-51	$5.4
P-L Dubois	200	64	80	144	-9	$8.5
$5.5 seems like a fair number.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 31, 2023

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

ThinkTank posted:

The Ducks just gave 34 year old Alex Killorn and his career high 64pts 4 x $6.25m so they can hit the cap floor. I think it's probably fine for Terry to want in on that action.

harvard grads historically are paid well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mr. Kite posted:

Okay, last 3 seasons.

pre:
Player		GP	G	A	P	+/-	23/24 Cap hit
Matt Duchene	183	71	84	155	-2	$3
Alex Tuch	179	66	84	150	27	$4.75
Brock Boeser	201	64	86	150	-28	$6.65
Troy Terry	193	67	81	148	-20	????
Bryan Rust	197	66	80	146	12	$5.125
Bjorkstrand	217	66	80	146	-51	$5.4
P-L Dubois	200	64	80	144	-9	$8.5
$5.5 seems like a fair number.

And they'll probably land around there because he asked for 8. Weird how that works.