Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Actually, I wonder if I could run the Android version of Yaba Sanshiro on Win11, to see if it works better than the native Windows version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Djarum posted:

It’s more like the PS1 is a VERY simple architecture to emulate. You have to remember you were able to emulate it at full speed on an original iMac; a 233 G3, 32MB of RAM and an ATI Rage IIc with 2MB of RAM.

It basically has 4 things to emulate and they are all fairly straightforward to deal with the system calls. The Saturn on the other hand is the exact opposite. It very much leans into the arcade board design of the time. It has 2 main processors, effectively 2 video processors, a beefy sound processor, a 68k used as a sound controller, a system control unit that works as a co processor that has a full DSP on it and they even put an SH-1 processor on CD drive controller to reduce load times. It’s a technical marvel for the time but it is a nightmare of systems and subsystems to emulate as almost all of it is needed in some part. There is a reason why we didn’t get acceptable Saturn emulation until 2012 or so.

Thinking about the Saturn, etc and how fast the turnover was between the sega master system (the bulk of its US prevalence was like 1987-1989), Genesis (89-92 with the sega cd launching in 92, 32x in 94) and then the Saturn in 95 this was also the tipping point where it feels like game consoles shifted from being more of a toy with accessories into an entertainment ecosystem with the PlayStation / Saturn. I think if sega had committed to a timeframe where they said “we’re going to keep this around for 6 years” a lot more developers would have committed to learning how to code for it.

I don’t know if that makes sense.
The Saturn was too complex and they didn’t do what they needed to in order to get devs tools to do it better, whereas Sony was like “here’s something straightforward and here’s everything you need to make all kinds of stuff.” And then we got Blasto! And it was good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PlayStation: rip Phil Hartman

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

otter posted:

Thinking about the Saturn, etc and how fast the turnover was between the sega master system (the bulk of its US prevalence was like 1987-1989), Genesis (89-92 with the sega cd launching in 92, 32x in 94) and then the Saturn in 95 this was also the tipping point where it feels like game consoles shifted from being more of a toy with accessories into an entertainment ecosystem with the PlayStation / Saturn. I think if sega had committed to a timeframe where they said “we’re going to keep this around for 6 years” a lot more developers would have committed to learning how to code for it.

I don’t know if that makes sense.
The Saturn was too complex and they didn’t do what they needed to in order to get devs tools to do it better, whereas Sony was like “here’s something straightforward and here’s everything you need to make all kinds of stuff.” And then we got Blasto! And it was good.

Well Sega and Nintendo were following the trends in tech at the time. Sega, who was probably at the forefront of 3D graphics at the time in the entire industry, was effectively just throwing raw horsepower at 3D graphics both in the arcade and with the Saturn. The Saturn was originally designed to be a 2D powerhouse and the second SH-2 was tossed on to give it better 3D performance after the Model 1 games became a success and the PS1 was shown off. The whole CPU/GPU concept that the PS1 used was basically a brand new development at the time. Sony was able to do it as they were one of the leading chip developers in the world at the time. Nintendo partnered with SGI for the N64 which was the other big player in the industry at the time. Even in PCs we didn’t really start to see what became the “standard” in hardware design until 98-99.

The common thought, especially in Japan is that hardware is going to be more complex as we move forward. It is why you saw Sony’s choices with the PS2 and PS3. It was Sega with the Dreamcast and later Microsoft with the original Xbox that really took the lessons from the PS1 and ran with them.

The big issue with complex systems is they require talent to use them to their potential. Arcade developers like Sega, Namco and the like had some of the best in all of Japan who knew the hardware deeply and were incredibly talented. The problem with taking that mentality to a console is that most developers don’t have that level of talent. Look at something as easy to develop on as the NES there was a huge difference in quality between the top developers and the bottom. You give them something more complex and that difference is even more dramatic.

Back then a lot, if not most, Western developers were very, very bad on console. There were exceptions but by and large the best stuff was coming out of Japan. The quality level of Western games didn’t really start to get close to the Japanese stuff until later in the PS2 generation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Djarum posted:

The Saturn was originally designed to be a 2D powerhouse and the second SH-2 was tossed on to give it better 3D performance after the Model 1 games became a success and the PS1 was shown off.

NEC had a similar idea with the PC-FX, but never course corrected, and released an outdated for it's time system w/o 3D acceleration.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

If the Dreamcast had a dvd drive instead of the dumb gd drive I think things would’ve played out differently. I feel like playing Soul Calibur was the first time it really felt like I had arcade quality at home.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

otter posted:

If the Dreamcast had a dvd drive instead of the dumb gd drive I think things would’ve played out differently. I feel like playing Soul Calibur was the first time it really felt like I had arcade quality at home.

Pretty sure Sony had alot more control of the DVD consortium and had more ways to subsidize the licensing and component cost.

Putting a movie player inside the gaming console created enormous extra sales for PS2. Sony tried to do it again for bluray but it didn't work out as they hoped.

Remember Sony's business model used to be hooking you with proprietary hardware poo poo.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

I had to learn how to set up Mednafen (which doesn't come with a GUI!) to play the game I was interested in (on Windows).

Mednaffe isn't 100% perfect but it is an absolute godsend in terms of making Mednafen usable.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ayn Odin 2 revealed with a new look, unknown spec bump
https://twitter.com/Ayn_Loki/status/1685895288081219584

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
That bezel is twice as thick as Odin 1. Is this supposed to be a portable battery?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The bezel reminds me of the chunky one on the Ayaneo OLED handhelds, maybe they’re using that screen.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Wii U gamepad looking rear end

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Front firing speakers good, physical back button good, but for the love of god why can't we use nice fonts for the face buttons?

uiruki posted:

The bezel reminds me of the chunky one on the Ayaneo OLED handhelds, maybe they’re using that screen.

They've already confirmed it's a 6" screen, the Ayaneo Air screen is 5.5" so it's not that.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Bouillon Rube posted:

It seems like GBA Micro prices are down a bit from where they were a few years ago. Assuming I find it comfortable (I have a Funkey S and never really have any comfort issues with it), is there any big disadvantage to using a Micro + EZ Flash Omega as a dedicates GB/GBC/GBA machine?

Late on this. I love my GBM. The only downside is the shoulder buttons not being great for games that demand them like Megaman Zero. The pocketability is divine. I also bought a cherry wood faceplate on etsy and varnished it and it looks very primo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The screen on the GBA Micro is glorious. My brother briefly had one and I loved it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

njsykora posted:

Front firing speakers good, physical back button good, but for the love of god why can't we use nice fonts for the face buttons?

They've already confirmed it's a 6" screen, the Ayaneo Air screen is 5.5" so it's not that.

What your controllers don't have A, X, Y, and 13 buttons?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They are "Y" and "Y," buttons.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 31, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

explosivo posted:

Like the David Duchovny game?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I bought the retroid 2S like a doofus guess it’s time to unload my 353M. Owning too many of these would make me anxious

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Maybe someone knows wtf I’m doing wrong.

I connected my 353v to the TV (that works after figuring out you have you restart the whole console) but my DualShock 4 doesn’t do poo poo. I’ve gone into BT settings, connected it, it looks fine. But the buttons don’t do poo poo.

ArkOS by the way.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

njsykora posted:

explosivo posted:

Looks like the same type of cheaper printing that all the cheap chinese keycaps use where they can't actually have enclosed spaces so some letters end up weird

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Why are people going for the RP2S over the RP3+? Is it just the cost?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

New shiny thing. RP3+ is over a year old now it's hopelessly out of date. Must buy new thing.

Also front firing speakers, possibly better analog sticks, 4:3 ratio screen which people are into with emulator handhelds right now, and cheaper for probably almost no real performance loss.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like the 4:3 ratio, the smaller size, lower cost, and the Hall effect sticks

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I don't get the speakers thing. It's the only thing about my MM+ that I wish they put below like on the RP3+. It's just muffled sound because that is where your hands are. When they're on the bottom, like the 3+, they sound great and nothing is muffled.

I didn't realize the screen was 4:3 native, either. I would like a bigger screen more than anything right now also.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Assepoester posted:

Looks like the same type of cheaper printing that all the cheap chinese keycaps use where they can't actually have enclosed spaces so some letters end up weird

What is an ( ) key?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I also prefer 4x3, IMO you only sacrifice some PSP games real estate.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's so small!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I also prefer 4x3, IMO you only sacrifice some PSP games real estate.

I definitely dislike how much real estate is wasted on my RP3. Playing the same games on something as comfortable to hold that’s an inch shorter is fine by me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A lot of what I play on my RP3+ honestly is PSP games so I definitely appreciate the 16:9 screen on it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I played more virtual boy on mine :smug:

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I did it, I ordered a Miyoo Mini Plus, even though I said I would wait for my birthday to get the RG405M. My brain was like, why not both, so here I am. It should get here Saturday.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Televisio Frankus posted:

My brain was like, why not both

That’s the spirit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

One of us

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
FFS. Flashed a new SD card for Garlic on my RG35XX, took out the stock card and put the new one in. Got a (very basic) error screen that I assume means "can't read card".

Thought it was a problem with the new card, so put the stock one back to check, and... same error. Now can't get the thing to work at all. Anyone else have this issue, and is there a way to fix it, or am I going to have to return and replace the RG35?

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
That looks like an upside down battery

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

endocriminologist posted:

That looks like an upside down battery

https://old.reddit.com/r/RG35XX/comments/10tz3mc/rg35xx_error_message_wont_charge/

yeah seems like it's battery, try a different charger

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh good, it's not just me. I dunno anything about the RG35XX but I was gonna post that it looked more like a battery than an SD card to me.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
It is the "too low of a charge to boot" icon and also probably important to note that you need storage inserted with either the stock OS or Garlic OS for it to charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bloodplay it again posted:

It is the "too low of a charge to boot" icon and also probably important to note that you need storage inserted with either the stock OS or Garlic OS for it to charge.
That uh seems like quite the design oversight, but I guess that's why it's so cheap

flavor.flv posted:

It's so small!
That's not small. This is small.

We went from "size of a deck of cards" to "size of a box of matches"