Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

Again, Lwaxana.

In all seriousness, there's more than a bit of Kirk Drift going on here and it's starting to edge into Keiko the Demon Wife From Hell territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CPColin posted:

Just don't get between ME and the nice chianti!

And where the hell am I supposed to get non-replicated fava beans in this stupid quadrant?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I did laugh at the part where the Enterprise helmswoman said she was a fan of Mayweather as a kid. No fuckin way, no one's stanning the most generic dude ever.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Arivia posted:

I did laugh at the part where the Enterprise helmswoman said she was a fan of Mayweather as a kid. No fuckin way, no one's stanning the most generic dude ever.

Yeah, but it was him or Zefram Cochrane as far as who the audience would recognize and what would make sense at that point in the timeline.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

In all seriousness, there's more than a bit of Kirk Drift going on here and it's starting to edge into Keiko the Demon Wife From Hell territory.

Not if we're going by Manhunt. Lwaxana's borderline senile there and just volunteering Riker to marry her.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Arivia posted:

I laughed when Uhuru was all ‘my hero is Hoti Sato, she made first contact in 85 different languages!!’ and Ortegas was just ‘Travis Mayweather - he was…a
…pilot!’

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I laughed when Uhuru was all ‘my hero is Hoti Sato, she made first contact in 85 different languages!!’ and Ortegas was just ‘Travis Mayweather - he was…a
…pilot!’

Eh, people have idolized all sorts of utterly boring famous historical figures before. Also Mayweather had an entire 10 year gap between Terra Prime and These Are The Voyages to get cool and do interesting off-screen. Maybe he did something there that was worth getting a middle school gymnasium named after him?

E: also Ortegas's characterization begins and ends with "...was a pilot", so it tracks in a way. She at least has more presence than Mayweather did though.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 31, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arivia posted:

I think them historically admiring the two characters Enterprise completely failed was a bit of a call-out at it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Mayweather probably got one of those statues where a specific spot that people keep rubbing gets a golden sheen (the statue is of him with his shirt off)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

*fills in longhand*
Weird...rear end...masks.

This is how claims get denied. This is obviously a form of space possession. Please resubmit your paperwork in 10 business days.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
FW: FW: Re: USS Raquel Welch post mission requisitions
Subject: Gamma V incident

lolll guys check out these idiots

Randy

code:

look, I was hoping to
do this kind of discreetly

It was Pakleds, alright?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I think them historically admiring the two characters Enterprise completely failed was a bit of a call-out at it.

Hoshi was cool though! She even got to be Terran Empress!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It is funny reading interviews with her actress saying how thrilled she was to finally have a juicy role... for two episodes with an alternate reality version of the character

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Now I want a Return of the Obra Dinn style game of being a Starfleet investigator figuring out what the hell happened on this starship (it was masks).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
season 7 of voyager- marked improvement over 6 generally but it was spread out so most of the episodes are... unremarkable to okay. No really special standout episodes but the better of the season was- "body and soul" with the doc/7 body exchange, "Repentance" had good performances and "author, author" for a return to examining sentience/rights- maybe "critical care" for another good doc performance

I enjoyed the ending a bit more the second time around, but it still seemed abrupt at the end- they return home after a phenomenal travail and janeway is all '"well uhh it will be in my report" to the welcoming committee, cut scene to 3 seconds worth of CGI showing voyager returning to earth, roll credits, done

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You have to love the balls of the show to begin with the ship getting home but we find out that this is the ‘bad’ timeline and when the actual ship gets home it just cuts to credits

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's incredible dedication to the show's love of reset buttons, shoeing Voyager arriving home as it should have, surviving numerous more misadventures and exploits along the way and losing some people in the process and then going nah gently caress that and Janeway enacting timeline genocide to give her buddies their own golden ending

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Fornax Disaster posted:

So let me get this straight, you are claiming your 190,000 metric tonne starship was stolen and destroyed by joyriders? And it was taken from inside your own spacedock?

Even better: "OK, Mr. Kirk, let's review your claim - 'Enterprise-A captured by 23rd century Taliban and piloted through the Galactic Barrier. Met God, got zapped, and talked my way out of a standoff with a Klingon."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Is Enterprise now the only series where none of the cast has ever cameoed in another Trek? I would assume Keating and Trinneer would be 100% down for an LDS appearance.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I still maintain that William Boimler's faked death to join Section 31 is a wink and nod to the ENT novel's retcon of Trip's death, so I can't help but wonder if we'll see some more of ENT references in season 4.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

I still maintain that William Boimler's faked death to join Section 31 is a wink and nod to the ENT novel's retcon of Trip's death, so I can't help but wonder if we'll see some more of ENT references in season 4.

Playing the same trick on Riker TWICE, drat

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

This is how claims get denied. This is obviously a form of space possession. Please resubmit your paperwork in 10 business days.

There's an absurd amount of paperwork and legal precedents on that, it's about nine tenths of the law.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mods change DavidCameronsPig's username to StarTrek6EndCredits, TIA

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i haven't read that, what do they do?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nine-gear crow posted:

Eh, people have idolized all sorts of utterly boring famous historical figures before. Also Mayweather had an entire 10 year gap between Terra Prime and These Are The Voyages to get cool and do interesting off-screen. Maybe he did something there that was worth getting a middle school gymnasium named after him?

E: also Ortegas's characterization begins and ends with "...was a pilot", so it tracks in a way. She at least has more presence than Mayweather did though.

it is pretty funny that most of the helm characters don't really get much characterization. what other pilots do we know, chekov? pike? kirk? picard? crash laforge?

pretty much none of them would be available as a reference (except pike i guess, but he was right there). they could've just made up a random name or like said shran or something and it would've had the same impact without seeming as silly

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sulu was the pilot in TOS, Chekov was... the guy that sits next to the pilot? Never entirely clear what that station was, other than that it had some weapons, and Chekov plotted some courses there while Sulu sat in the pilot's ship, so like navigator? Co-pilot? Whatever the plot required?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

it is pretty funny that most of the helm characters don't really get much characterization. what other pilots do we know, chekov? pike? kirk? picard? crash laforge?

pretty much none of them would be available as a reference (except pike i guess, but he was right there). they could've just made up a random name or like said shran or something and it would've had the same impact without seeming as silly

Paris gets a ton of characterization over Voyager’s runtime. Which Lower Decks played off adeptly.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

bennyfactor posted:

Playing the same trick on Riker TWICE, drat

Riker needs to be more credulous regarding the holomedia he consumes. :colbert:

Beeftweeter posted:

i haven't read that, what do they do?

Spoilering just in case:
In the ENT "Season 5" novel series, Trip's death is a coverup, faked so that he can join Starfleet Intel (but mainly Section 31) to do deep cover on the Romulans, because he's one of the few people who's encountered Romulan tech, and the Romulan War is a-brewin'. So the "pirate attack" is all staged so he can disappear. The holodeck stuff Riker is watching is a part of the tampered historical record, giving an incorrect date for the events in question and taking the pirate story at face value. (The framing device for all this is that Nog, now a Starfleet Engineering bigwig, has discovered some old Constitution class engine schematics that seem to be Trip Tucker's work, but everyone knows he died!!!!)

It's...not the best retcon, because Trip as an undercover agent doesn't make a ton of sense based on four seasons of characterization, but the authors were doing the best they could with they had to work with.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The last episode should just be treated like Threshold, in that it is just implicitly removed from the canon of the show and the plot pretends it never happened. So Trip is fine, he and T'Pol were very happy together for a long time, and I won't hear otherwise

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Sulu was the pilot in TOS, Chekov was... the guy that sits next to the pilot? Never entirely clear what that station was, other than that it had some weapons, and Chekov plotted some courses there while Sulu sat in the pilot's ship, so like navigator? Co-pilot? Whatever the plot required?

Chekov was navigator, which had the tactical responsibilities as well because, IIRC, the weapons used the same sensors.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Spoilering just in case:
It's...not the best retcon, because Trip as an undercover agent doesn't make a ton of sense based on four seasons of characterization, but the authors were doing the best they could with they had to work with.

This is the same Starfleet Intelligence who decided the chief of operations of DS9 would be the perfect person to go undercover and investigate the Orion Syndicate. I don’t think Intelligence really factors in!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Though at times in SNW and TOS, weapons have been fired from a "tactical" console to the left of turbolift doors as you walk out of them, along the back wall. You know, when they needed wandering Scotty or La'An to fire phasers instead of whoever was sitting next to Sulu or Ortegas.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arivia posted:

Paris gets a ton of characterization over Voyager’s runtime. Which Lower Decks played off adeptly.

lol i completely forgot about tom paris, but yeah he'd be too late to reference in SNW too

Spoilering just in case:
In the ENT "Season 5" novel series, Trip's death is a coverup, faked so that he can join Starfleet Intel (but mainly Section 31) to do deep cover on the Romulans, because he's one of the few people who's encountered Romulan tech, and the Romulan War is a-brewin'. So the "pirate attack" is all staged so he can disappear. The holodeck stuff Riker is watching is a part of the tampered historical record, giving an incorrect date for the events in question and taking the pirate story at face value. (The framing device for all this is that Nog, now a Starfleet Engineering bigwig, has discovered some old Constitution class engine schematics that seem to be Trip Tucker's work, but everyone knows he died!!!!)

oh that's not as bad as i was expecting. honestly i wish SNW would have gone with the romulans instead of the gorn but i realize that doesn't exactly fit in with the timeline. in fact, i think after "the enterprise incident" nobody sees them again until TNG's "the neutral zone"? that's maybe excluding a few movie appearances though i guess

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

No Dignity posted:

It's incredible dedication to the show's love of reset buttons, shoeing Voyager arriving home as it should have, surviving numerous more misadventures and exploits along the way and losing some people in the process and then going nah gently caress that and Janeway enacting timeline genocide to give her buddies their own golden ending

Endgame is, if nothing else, a very Voyager episode.

FISHMANPET posted:

Sulu was the helm officer, Chekov (and whoever else sat in his chair) was the navigator. Both stations were used to fire weapons - likely depending in part on whether the character in either chair is a speaking role that episode (since there were lots of episodes that didn't have both Sulu and Chekov).

FISHMANPET posted:

Though at times in SNW and TOS, weapons have been fired from a "tactical" console to the left of turbolift doors as you walk out of them, along the back wall. You know, when they needed wandering Scotty or La'An to fire phasers instead of whoever was sitting next to Sulu or Ortegas.

Matt Jeffries certainly intended for there to be a weapons (or "defense"?) station on the bridge, although on TOS the console you're referring to is the engineering station. I think the station immediately adjacent to it was supposed to be the defense console.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

oh that's not as bad as i was expecting. honestly i wish SNW would have gone with the romulans instead of the gorn but i realize that doesn't exactly fit in with the timeline. in fact, i think after "the enterprise incident" nobody sees them again until TNG's "the neutral zone"? that's maybe excluding a few movie appearances though i guess

Or gone with a completely separate species! Either use someone different - maybe the Tholians, who were definitely already known to the feds - or come up with a whole new species to be terrified of!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i completely forgot about tom paris, but yeah he'd be too late to reference in SNW too

No I think that's fairly accurate; it was supposed to be Romulans in ST3 but the executives went "what, NO, use klingons again.".

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also speaking of tactical/engineering, I just watched A Piece of the Action, is that the only time the ship's phasers have been set on stun and fired on a planet? Seems like that could solve so many problems.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mayweather, Memory Beta posted:

His image on the Yorktown and in Starfleet in general was tarnished by his abandoning Enterprise and the short lifespan of the Discovery, which he helmed. He was turned down for every posting he applied for with the fleet and the Yorktown crew considered Travis to be a "Bad Luck Charm". He would stay on the Yorktown, until his transfer request was accepted by Captain Weiss aboard the recently launched Atlantis (NX-05), where his experience with NX-class starships would be helpful with her repairs. In the following months Mayweather had begun to feel at home on the Atlantis. He had even been promoted to lieutenant. On June 20, 2156, the Atlantis was with the Coalition fleet at Tau Ceti IV when a massive Romulan fleet took the system. During the engagement Atlantis suffered major damage and was caught in Tau Ceti III's gravitational pull. The engines lost power so Travis was unable to free Atlantis therefore Captain Weiss ordered the crew to abandon ship and activated the self-destruct. Travis and most of the crew managed to land on the planet where the native Kaferians offered shelter and medical care for them until they were evacuated.

lol

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lol that all the NX class ships were named after NASA space shuttles, making the causality loop of the shuttle Enterprise even funnier. Though as has been stated, it was a distinguished name in US Navy history so it's not completely without precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Lol that all the NX class ships were named after NASA space shuttles, making the causality loop of the shuttle Enterprise even funnier. Though as has been stated, it was a distinguished name in US Navy history so it's not completely without precedent.

Well, technically Space Shuttle Enterprise was supposed to be space-capable in the end when it was built, but it was found out that making Atlantis was actually cheaper than refitting the Enterprise prototype up to spec.