Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah I thought that was an excellent way to handle it. Also loved the fake out with the Opera manager guy and his tragic backstory, and Agnea's song actually being the final boss theme for her chapter. I can understand people not liking her earlier chapters but her final chapter is one of the best in the game imo. And a much needed breather with how heavy the other stories get. Like Castti's story is my favorite but jeez it's a lot. So it's good Agnea is there to balance things a little.

Partitio's is also a good breather, him and Agnea really do their best to lift up the party. Fittingly, Partitio's was my first and Agnea's was my last.

Also since I was enjoying Octopath, I thought I'd give the mobile game another try and... it's kind of rough? Like I think if I get past the 'gacha' mindset it might be a decent single-player game, but it's a bit difficult to give that much attention to a mobile game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm still on chapter 2-3 for most stories so I look forward to when I can click on those spoilers :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just wrapped up Agnea's storyline and I think that's going to land somewhere near the top half for me. The final chapter was really sweet and felt like the culmination of a journey.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Agreed, phenomenal boss bgm, too

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

Partitio's is also a good breather, him and Agnea really do their best to lift up the party. Fittingly, Partitio's was my first and Agnea's was my last.

Also since I was enjoying Octopath, I thought I'd give the mobile game another try and... it's kind of rough? Like I think if I get past the 'gacha' mindset it might be a decent single-player game, but it's a bit difficult to give that much attention to a mobile game.

I still play the mobile game, not crazy adamantly but it's still fun, it's just different from the regular games. Right now is the 1 year anniversary so they're giving a bunch of free stuff away.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Seen a few conflicting things about Octopath 2's "point of no return:" it seems like if I do The Journey for the Dawn, it'll lock me into it for a while, but can I still do side stuff after that? Or am I locked out of everything unless I load an earlier save?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The former. I guess "point of no return" might be a misnomer; I've just been calling it that without clarifying because the game tells you its exact deal when it comes up.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
One complication is that for endgame you're locked at night until you finish the final boss, so some of your path actions will be unavailable, like say picking up skills for Hikari, so you want to do that first.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I've really slacked on finding good skills for Hikari. I stumbled into Squall of Arrows and Divine Dual Edge and use those for breaks when he's in my party and that's about it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I got a lot of mileage out of "Deep Analysis." It was difficult to get "Tricks of the Trade" from a guy just outside of town on Roque Island, but very worth it.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

this is probably sicko stuff, but I like playing the guessing game on weaknesses instead of using analyze abilities lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I enjoy the smug confidence of guessing in advance what the boss' weakness will be just by looking at them followed by being completely wrong about 90% of the time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I like how the weaknesses are always listed in the same order so if you reveal one depending on what and where it is it narrows down the possibilities of what the other ones are

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I remember laughing at how the final boss of Cyrus’ story from OT1 was specifically built to have no weaknesses to his baseline abilities on top of having 30 shields.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

fridge corn posted:

I like how the weaknesses are always listed in the same order so if you reveal one depending on what and where it is it narrows down the possibilities of what the other ones are

yeah this is what I meant by guessing game, the consistent UI for this is nice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm not smart enough to remember the order so I just choose to embrace chaos.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Yeah it always made me feel really smart when I'd remember the order of symbols and be able to guess some unrevealed weaknesses just from that

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think if you have an inventor, the order of options for the catapult attack are the same as the order in which weaknesses are listed? I remember finding some way to remind myself of the order because I kept getting it mixed up with some other order if I tried to just remember it.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Pretty sure the weapons are the same order they are in the Equipment menu. Elements are fire -> ice -> lightning -> wind -> light -> dark

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Every time I fight against human enemies I try to set them on fire because hey, whom among us isn't weak to fire

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

Every time I fight against human enemies I try to set them on fire because hey, whom among us isn't weak to fire

To be fair I am also quite weak to frostbite or being struck by lightning. Spears as well, funnily enough.

I am immune to arrows though, take that Achilles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just have Osvald's last chapter remaining and probably a half-dozen remaining sidequests. A few quick impressions of the characters.

Throne - I'm gonna guess that final boss probably made more sense if you played Octopath 1. Still, I think the buildup of tension as you take the very slow gondola ride up to Lostseed and see how messed up everything has become is great. I also appreciated how messy her resolution is compared to all the other characters, the hollow feeling of finally having gotten what you wanted at great personal cost. My favorite tale of the bunch throughout.
Castti - I knew Thosseau would end up being the bad guy from the moment he was introduced because he has the most European-sounding name.
Temenos - This one kind of disappointed me. I feel that Temenos should have used his powers of insight to own Kaldena with facts and logic instead of getting another conventional cackling villain. Also, kind of a hard boss fight!
Agnea - Her story started out as nothing particularly special but has one of the strongest conclusions. I feel like the relatively low stakes of her quest allowed more freedom to write a character story that doesn't resolve in the usual godkilling way.
Partitio - Another crowdpleaser ending. I like that they give you 80 billion leaves to immediately spend on the Steam Engine. I'm sure there must be some kind of exploit to keep all the leaves while still progressing the quest. Now THAT'S capitalism!
Ochette - No big surprises here. Feels like the shortest and least connected of the questlines. I think Ochette needed one more personality trait besides "is cheery, is hungry all the time."
Hikari - Again, not too many surprises. I feel like Hikari should have been tempted more. Once he sets out on his journey you kind of know he's in no actual danger of succumbing to the demon curse, which makes his arc somewhat uninteresting.

Now to hopefully wrap this all up before Thursday so that I can slip right into Baldur's Gate 3! It's been quite a journey, nearly at 70 hours played now. Fortunately to help me I've got 2 fully kitted out Merchants and the Foreign Assassins. Pay 2 Win, baby!!!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As a quick note, there are little extra 'concluding' quests for the side characters once you complete a character's story. Like Agnea has bonus quests for her side characters in New Delstea (and Ku, but you need to finish Hikari's story for that too).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Just have Osvald's last chapter remaining and probably a half-dozen remaining sidequests. A few quick impressions of the characters.

Throne - I'm gonna guess that final boss probably made more sense if you played Octopath 1. Still, I think the buildup of tension as you take the very slow gondola ride up to Lostseed and see how messed up everything has become is great. I also appreciated how messy her resolution is compared to all the other characters, the hollow feeling of finally having gotten what you wanted at great personal cost. My favorite tale of the bunch throughout.

Believe it or not, nope. Octopath 1 doesn’t really help with Throné’s weird final chapter. It’s just weird.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

exquisite tea posted:

Hikari - Again, not too many surprises. I feel like Hikari should have been tempted more. Once he sets out on his journey you kind of know he's in no actual danger of succumbing to the demon curse, which makes his arc somewhat uninteresting.

Yeah it's pretty much always "give in, kill, you know you want to" "no" "ok maybe next chapter"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I have a soft spot for Hikari since he is totally a Suikoden protagonist.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I liked him a lot too, dude's a cinnamon roll with heaps of trauma. It’s just that he's got seven other party members that I like better

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah it's pretty much always "give in, kill, you know you want to" "no" "ok maybe next chapter"

IMO it's worth it for the payoff of his latent power getting a rebrand after he conquers it permanently. That kind of gameplay/story integration is always cool to see.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Cattail Prophet posted:

IMO it's worth it for the payoff of his latent power getting a rebrand after he conquers it permanently. That kind of gameplay/story integration is always cool to see.

Yeah 100%, I just wanted some more conflict from him to make it hit harder.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Harrow posted:

Believe it or not, nope. Octopath 1 doesn’t really help with Throné’s weird final chapter. It’s just weird.

The only way it really helps is that OT1 establishes that "evil god powers can make you immortal" through Lyblac/Ceraphina/Mattias/Lucia/Simeon and like, even that is more galdera-specific than just gods in general.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Me: my party's lvl 33 on average, I can handle this lvl 34 recommended cave in the wildlands. See, I'm tearing through all the mobs in here!

Boss: Blasts out foul breath first thing and then I realise that my ailment management options are few and far between.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Me: my party's lvl 33 on average, I can handle this lvl 34 recommended cave in the wildlands. See, I'm tearing through all the mobs in here!

Boss: Blasts out foul breath first thing and then I realise that my ailment management options are few and far between.

Oh yeah I remember that one. Some of the optional bosses are real jerks with their gimmicks. The problem solving makes it fun though.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Just got to the final story boss of Octopath 2 and :stare:

Does uh... does anyone have any tips for physical damage mitigation? I guess for two characters so I can split them between the parties?? Though I haven't even made it to the second party phase.

There's also probably a bunch of mechanics I've been ignoring so far this game I could pick up. With the night gimmick it's too late to grab more Hikari skills or Summons for Agnea or Tenemos. I could reload an old save for this, it'd just be really annoying. I'm also not super clear if these summons stick around when you remove someone from your party? I suppose I can pick up new friends for Partitio and Ochette, at least.

I guess the other big thing to do would try to optimize my armor and weapons better than what the game does for me when I slam "optimize all". That and try to gently caress around with job stuff, I guess. If I reload my save I suppose I could get that last job in Ku, just got annoyed by one of those bosses and gave up...

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 2, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

it's worth noting this is actually how it works in Final Fantasy 7 Remake (and in original FF7, though much less consistent). Humans are weak to fire, machines to lightning, flying things to wind (and gravity in the original), and beasts to... ice for some reason.

The only thing I noticed in OT2 has been that flying stuff is 100% always weak to arrows. Which I guess makes sense but it's funny that that seems to be the only consistent thing. Hell, there's plenty of purple darkness enemies who don't even have light damage as a weakness!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

Does uh... does anyone have any tips for physical damage mitigation? I guess for two characters so I can split them between the parties?? Though I haven't even made it to the second party phase.

There's also probably a bunch of mechanics I've been ignoring so far this game I could pick up. With the night gimmick it's too late to grab more Hikari skills or Summons for Agnea or Tenemos. I could reload an old save for this, it'd just be really annoying. I'm also not super clear if these summons stick around when you remove someone from your party? I suppose I can pick up new friends for Partitio and Ochette, at least.

I guess the other big thing to do would try to optimize my armor and weapons better than what the game does for me when I slam "optimize all". That and try to gently caress around with job stuff, I guess. If I reload my save I suppose I could get that last job in Ku, just got annoyed by one of those bosses and gave up...

Do you have Arcanist? If you put it on Partitio you can use Seal of Diffusion to let his Sidestep affect the whole party, making them dodge a certain number of physical attacks depending on how much BP Partitio spends to boost. In your other party, have someone put Sealticge's Seduction on Temenos (or another Cleric) and have him use a fully boosted Sacred Shield to cut the next few hits by 50%.

Also yeah I'd recommend doing some more equipment fiddling. Equipment is a big deal in Octopath and there are some ways to significantly boost damage that I imagine the optimize button won't notice, like stacking multiple weapons that boost the same damage type. Hikari, for example, can pretty easily do over 10k per hit if he has the Giant's Club and Battle-tested Blade both boosting his physical damage (and even more with Alpione's Amulet). (You might not be able to get the Battle-tested Blade at night if you don't already have it, but the Giant's Club is in a cave so you should be able to get that if you haven't.)

Summons do stick around if you remove someone from your party. They stay with whoever's path action was used to recruit them until you dismiss them or summon them enough that they go away.

It might also help to switch around your party compositions to be set up to break the boss quickly. Really aggressive breaking can save you a lot of damage because you'll deny bosses their actions that way. If you remember what the boss was weak to, keep that in mind and be ready to hit those weaknesses hard and fast.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 2, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Harrow posted:

In your other party, have someone put Sealticge's Seduction on Temenos (or another Cleric) and have him use a fully boosted Sacred Shield to cut the next few hits by 50%.

Boosting Sacred Shield increases the % damage reduction iirc, not the duration.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Boosting Sacred Shield increases the % damage reduction iirc, not the duration.

Oh drat never mind on that one

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The Octopath mobile game is Another Eden but with an Octopath skin stretched over it instead of being totally-not-Chrono-Trigger.

I've been playing it again due to the anniversary but there's so much stuff to catch up on and the story is a bit grindy in addition to boss fights feeling very unforgiving if you can't bring a team to break them repeatedly while also healing the damage they do, which means more grinding (if you have the units to begin with). It's still Octopath combat and fun to mess with but it's not anywhere near as good as the actual games due to the limitations of a F2P gacha design.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

If you are really struggling this might help. If you stack your damage on the first party and do some good damage with your first breaks to "overkill" the first phase, the second party won't have to do as much work since like the chapter bosses the phases share a health pool. Though you still want them to be relatively balanced otherwise, with a decent support/healer on both teams.

Also if you need something that can give you more breathing room then you have a few options that aren't too hard to get. If you go to the forsaken graveyard south of montwise there is a boss at the bottom of it. If you kill that boss it shows up as a regular encounter in the graveyard that Ochette can capture. If you use that boss in battle it gives party wide reflect and side-step in addition to a strong darkness aoe. You can only use it once per battle but it can buy you a turn to set up more permanent defenses. Also seconding Arcanist Partitio, he really breaks the game. Seal of diffusion wont let you do party wide reflect though you'll still need to use sealticage on him for that one. But side-step + reflect will pretty much negate all damage.

You can also just put Sealticage on Temenos and let him do Prayer for Plenty which will also protect people for a couple of hits. Put Alephan's on him if you do this since that will buff the max hp gain by a lot. He can then also nuke the boss pretty hard with his final EX Skill since that also benefits from Alephan's.

Concoct also buffs everyone so you should definitely make use of that for BP/Healing. Inventor agnea using coil if you found that also maxxes BP(and mega-elixirs/revives all characters as well). I think you can get all the parts for it at night too.

You got options, so just keep at it and you'll find a good solution.
Also don't worry about the Ku job. it's the weakest of the special jobs. Some of the passives are nice and you can do some interesting things with it but it's not going to help you as much as the other three.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

e: fixed the problem. best of luck to ya.

side note: Remedy is so drat good with the Dancer's divine skill.

Mustard Iceman fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 2, 2023