Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
when you are weak, appear strong mr musk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

"The Art of War, Sun Tzu"

Every single time

Thats another one that’s like 30 minutes total reading time

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

burnishedfume posted:

I went to public school in the US for all of Jr and regular high school, and even college and I've read none of these books.

You missed so many insightful discussions into how big brother is communism.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

the milk machine posted:

imo it's not a perfect dumb guy book list if it doesn't have any machiavelli

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YonukB9yPAs

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

the milk machine posted:

then i got good news for you!

lex fridman's website posted:

Longer-Term Suggestions I’m Considering
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
The Dead by James Joyce
The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Ward No. 6 by Anton Chekhov
Anthem by Ayn Rand
The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
Nightfall, Last Question by Isaac Asimov
The Little Trilogy by Anton Chekhov
The Nose, The Overcoat by Gogol
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky
The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Prince by Machiavelli
Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O’Connor
Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche
On Writing by Stephen King
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
Childhood’s End by Arthur C Clarke
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman by Richard Feynman
Dead Souls by Gogol
12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. Hofstadter
The Idiot by Dostoevsky

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

CaptainBeefart posted:

Blaze Ya Dead Glory

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

its what the silicon valley guys call sucking ur own dick

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Three Body Problem is the ideal form of a liberal book, prove me wrong

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Cold on a Cob posted:

then i got good news for you!

*that gif of Antonio band eras doing the chefs kiss*

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ikanreed posted:

i got enough problems with one body

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ikanreed posted:

You missed so many insightful discussions into how big brother is communism.

Instead of that, I got to read Anthem and I instead learned communism is when committees decide if you can have lightbulbs or not. The more power gets concentrated into non-ubermenschen, the more communistical a society is.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

ye will be too busy being the president of the united states to make another album

:hmmyes:

Troutful
May 31, 2011

I can't hate on Lex's reading list because every time I try to learn anything outside my specialty I end up reading things like "the big picture book of circuits: my first battery!" I think it's cute that he's trying to broaden his horizons and also aiming pretty low.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ikanreed posted:

I would have said Outliers but yeah

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Consummate Professional posted:

isn’t the little prince like 10 pages
The Art of War is like 40 pages too lmao

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The only one from that list I read in public school was Brave New World.

burnishedfume posted:

Instead of that, I got to read Anthem and I instead learned communism is when committees decide if you can have lightbulbs or not. The more power gets concentrated into non-ubermenschen, the more communistical a society is.

I remember telling my high school English teacher I thought Anthem was awful and he basically responded with “yeah I know but the school wants me to be ‘unbiased’ “

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Cold on a Cob posted:

setting a "i'm going to read a book per week" is such a weird thing to publicly announce. also lol that he seems to give each entry a week, regardless of how dense the content is.

like just set a goal like "i'm going to read an hour every night/morning/at lunch time" or something and then talk about what you finished later on if you want. or don't, not everything has to be "content"

you get the dopamine release from saying you're going to do something then never following through.

as far as I can remember he made it like 2 books in with some effort posting then completely forgot/ignored his whole schtick because these people all have the attention spans and willingness to follow through of a goldfish.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

the milk machine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YonukB9yPAs

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Slotducks posted:

you get the dopamine release from saying you're going to do something then never following through.

yeah that's true

never tell people what you're going to do, tell people what you did

or if you're musk, lie about what you did i guess

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
imagine voluntarily reading old man and the sea smh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lmao god drat it

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Augus posted:

The only one from that list I read in public school was Brave New World.

I remember telling my high school English teacher I thought Anthem was awful and he basically responded with “yeah I know but the school wants me to be ‘unbiased’ “

We read Anthem in high school. With my, extremely obvious in retrospect, communist English teacher. I'm not sure why they had that on the reading list to be honest.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm going to post good

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

imagine voluntarily reading old man and the sea smh

it's just that cartoon but instead of a spoon it's his fish that's too big. The end.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

rex rabidorum vires posted:

He has like 4 solo albums in the last 2 years. The man is a music making machine.

oh poo poo! Thank u rrv, Chris I am sorry for ever doubting you

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fridman follows a few dozen people now (and it's a dumb guy follow list) but when I first came across him he only followed 4 while having 400k followers at the time but then whittled that down to two - the President of Russia account and Zelensky's because he wanted to get them on the pod to sort out their differences.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

setting a "i'm going to read a book per week" is such a weird thing to publicly announce. also lol that he seems to give each entry a week, regardless of how dense the content is.

like just set a goal like "i'm going to read an hour every night/morning/at lunch time" or something and then talk about what you finished later on if you want. or don't, not everything has to be "content"

its 'logic' brained folks who write out lists like entries on a spreadsheet and go 'the best books must be the most famous books, and therefore the books most important for me to read'

like instead, if you need to plan out a milestone based 'goal' for your reading make it to read every Dumas book, something interesting. Why read the most famous books where you already kinda know the story. Read all the beat generation stuff and get immersed in the spirit of a time and place. idk

it's the same as "I'm going to play every final fantasy in order of western release" or whatever. nerd poo poo

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://twitter.com/lexfridman/status/1609301085524578304?s=20

was he homeschooled or something? because a significant number of these were required reading for me in school lol

ive read two of these books, one of them in high school (voluntarily, not assigned, 2001 a space odyssey) and one of them in my mid-twenties when i would get blackout drunk every single night so i don't remember a thing that happened other than i read it (frankenstein)

we did accelerated reader and the school was much more freedom on required reading, you had to pick x number of nonfiction books + x number of fiction books that could be considered noteworthy/important in literature before you could graduate. i remember asking if the shining and the jungle counted for it and being told that some students were submitting harry potter books (also counted) in order to graduate lol.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
blaze your fury

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I did AR and I needed to get 50 'points' because my reading level was good. So I looked and saw 'the once and future king' was the only singular book worth 50 points, I read it and failed the test. My teacher said that I should read more books to reach the goal, kinda admonished my arrogance so I went the other way

Goosebumps was worth 1/2 a point and I could read 2 of those a day so I chugged out goose bumps and books like that. like 40 page thin novels with big font for 8 year olds. whatever. cause making a book worth different points is the stupidest loving thing. AR makes kids hate reading, it trains you to hate books

the tests are like 'harry potter sends messages with which animal? 1. owl 2. mouse 3. pigeon 4. cat

and you answer 25 like that and if you get them all right you get credit for reading the book.

yah that's great that makes me reflect on what I read and learn

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
4:20 time to blaze that glory, if you know what I mean

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh yeah I read Frankenstein in high school too, forgot about that one

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lex book list giving me these vibes

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Antonymous posted:

I did AR and I needed to get 50 'points' because my reading level was good. So I looked and saw 'the once and future king' was the only singular book worth 50 points, I read it and failed the test. My teacher said that I should read more books to reach the goal, kinda admonished my arrogance so I went the other way

Goosebumps was worth 1/2 a point and I could read 2 of those a day so I chugged out goose bumps and books like that. like 40 page thin novels with big font for 8 year olds. whatever. cause making a book worth different points is the stupidest loving thing. AR makes kids hate reading, it trains you to hate books

the tests are like 'harry potter sends messages with which animal? 1. owl 2. mouse 3. pigeon 4. cat

and you answer 25 like that and if you get them all right you get credit for reading the book.

yah that's great that makes me reflect on what I read and learn

I'm sure the system has changed now that it has been two decades, but back when I was in middle school, the books you "tested" on were cleared every year, so if you could remember books, it was an easy way to blaze through it. I was a huge fan of Lord of the Rings and those books were worth a lot. Basically let me breeze through majority of the school year and just read what I wanted.

If I ever needed books for quick points, our library had an extensive Louis L'Amour section.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://fortune.com/2023/07/31/elon-musk-twitter-san-francisco-headquarters-city-building-inspectors/

LOL, he's not letting building inspectors in.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

That's right

they wanted to inspect the Twitter headquarters but no such thing is to be found in the X hq.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

bawk posted:

i remember asking if the shining and the jungle

both good books imho

i've read 8 of the books from fridmans list and gave up on 3

i'm honestly kinda surprised that people haven't read more of them but also a lot of them either suck or haven't aged well so i suggest we all go read something more relevant now like "the heat will kill you first"

red19fire
May 26, 2010

They’re going to find load-bearing drywall and piss jars once they force their way in, I just know it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
When they come back with a warrant it will be very very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

He is standing up to state violence, OP.