Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Just finished CS1. Go ahead and induct me into the Laura Fan Club. Her relationship with Rean and the way they support each other is excellent.

Edit: While I'm here, what transfers over from CS1 to CS2? I'm on Linux so save transfers might work weirdly.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Your student rank and character level (gives bonus items), who was available to pick for CS 1's final event (they get extra dialogue in their first CS 2 scenes), and who you actually picked for CS 1's final event (they get 1000 extra link experience).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 30, 2023

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

https://noisypixel.net/the-legend-of-heroes-gagharv-trilogy-mobile-releasing-2024/

Hell yeah!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mobile :whitewater:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm sure it'll be great just like that Ys 6 phone mmo

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

unimportantguy posted:

Just finished CS1. Go ahead and induct me into the Laura Fan Club. Her relationship with Rean and the way they support each other is excellent.

Welcome friend

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(Reverie Finale Chapter)

Yes, given that, and the scene at the jail and the scene at MWL, the conclusion I suspect Lloyd's reached is along the line of "it seems like if something is possible in an alternate reality, Elysium can make it appear here." In other words it's literally a machine for creating deus ex machina's.

Yeah pretty much, and having finish the game that's my biggest complaint. That won't get better.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Wrapped up the Crosssbell games and rolled right into Reverie. What a great experience. I haven't played CS4 since launch so some of that is a little foggier but following the SSS from where Azure ends to where Reverie begins just feels good. I love the progression of all these characters from separate corners of the continent growing up and getting out on their own. I spent a couple hours just talking to every NPC in Crossbell in Lloyd's first chapter and now I'm finally heading into the first dungeon.

I love every second of it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Some Numbers posted:

Is there an upper limit to Group Missions and if so, do they just run out or will the game start cycling through "completed" ones?

Since this was never answered, there are a finite number of unique group missions, yes. It will then start repeating them in a random order, rewarding you with a small amount of U-Material rather than Black Zemurian Ore. You still get 500 phantasmal shards.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Levantine posted:

Wrapped up the Crosssbell games and rolled right into Reverie. What a great experience. I haven't played CS4 since launch so some of that is a little foggier but following the SSS from where Azure ends to where Reverie begins just feels good. I love the progression of all these characters from separate corners of the continent growing up and getting out on their own. I spent a couple hours just talking to every NPC in Crossbell in Lloyd's first chapter and now I'm finally heading into the first dungeon.

I love every second of it.

Man. I just started Chapter 4 of CS3 and despite CS4's rep being pretty bad, I am super excited to dive into it and then Reverie based on this post. Love these games

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

...! posted:

Since this was never answered, there are a finite number of unique group missions, yes. It will then start repeating them in a random order, rewarding you with a small amount of U-Material rather than Black Zemurian Ore. You still get 500 phantasmal shards.

Shards are whatever, I have everything upgraded and I don't think I care about getting stat boosts.

I just need a couple hundred thousand U-Mats

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

phantasmal sharts

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Some Numbers posted:

Shards are whatever, I have everything upgraded and I don't think I care about getting stat boosts.

I just need a couple hundred thousand U-Mats

You can convert Shards to items you can sell and then buy the 80000 items that disassemble into 100 U-Material. Which items are worth the most money depends on how many of them you've traded because shard costs for items go up as you buy more, but once you reach the final prices I think Spirit Incenses are the best value. (150 Shards for 10000, compared to 500 for the 30000 from Dragon Incenses.) It's not like the stat up items are that useful, so you may as well.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

psychoJ posted:

Man. I just started Chapter 4 of CS3 and despite CS4's rep being pretty bad, I am super excited to dive into it and then Reverie based on this post. Love these games

CS4 is fine. It's notably harder than 3, which is absolutely necessary, because games had been getting progressively easier up to that point, and while there's a few spots that have lulls in action, the high points are some of the best in the series, and at least four bonding events are probably better than any that had come before.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

CS4 is fine. It's notably harder than 3, which is absolutely necessary, because games had been getting progressively easier up to that point, and while there's a few spots that have lulls in action, the high points are some of the best in the series, and at least four bonding events are probably better than any that had come before.

For the guys, yes.

On the other hand, nearly every single girl/woman's bonding event features them declaring their love for Rean, usually while he stares blankly or awkwardly changes the subject in response, because he must not commit before the Choice. The exception being Alisa who - due to nearly overwhelming emotional stress - either has an awkward love confession-then immediate breakup if she wasn't romanced at the end of CS 4, or a sorrowful break-up if she was. Either way, Rean looks visibly pained to hear that. Follow up by doing her second as well, and it's actually Rean who takes initiative, in a reversal which is unique, coming before the Choice as it does. Other than that one, I ended up deliberately snubbing all the first-time events (second-time events for the students and also Emma).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 31, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It's truly sad that romancing Vivi wasn't an option. She's the clear choice :hmmyes:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The romance writing in Trails is generally kinda weak tbh. But alas the series is cursed with that being one of the main things people want to talk about.

Anyway, the secret to enjoying CS4 is that when you get to the bonding events if there's a character with a heart above their head and you think "wow, a romance plot with this character would come completely out of nowhere or just be straight up bad" then you don't do that event. And if you follow this advice the game is largely decent.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Finished the Reverie Post game and did the prologue of Kuro.

Reverie was great, most fun I've had with a trails game straight up.

Kuro is a massive step up in apparent production values and style though. Its like Persona 5 to Reverie's Persona 4 in that respect.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is Kuro's plot stuff Roy Gramheart's plan or the Eternal Recurrence Plan of Ouroboros

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Junpei posted:

Is Kuro's plot stuff Roy Gramheart's plan or the Eternal Recurrence Plan of Ouroboros

Brief Kuro 1 and 2 spoilers: Ouroboros are mostly just chilling so far, even being downright friendly to Van's group (barring Harwood) in Kuro while Gramheart is working on something in the background. We'll find out in Kuro 3 what the deal with both is I guess.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
drat, it really is hard to keep track of things. We’re really two games into the new saga and Reverie just got localized. I guess I could complain (and Falcom itself could probably be doing way better handling things) but I’m really enjoying Zero so I can’t complain we’re finally kinda caught up.

Speaking of, was not expecting the hacker thing to lead to the backstory dump of Tio being the girl Guy mentioned way way back, meaning Elie just somehow gets less and less interesting in comparison to her peers. Also it’s been years since I beat SC but I’m gonna take a wild, maybe super bold guess and say that Kitty is Renne loving with weird little hacker kid, being that her thing is “weirdly good at using/controlling archaisms iirc. Also the cutesy malware.

Also also the hacker “battle” felt like the bizarre love child of older TV just making poo poo up to sound cool and someone else deciding that we needed a space internet dogfight, not that I’m complaining.

Game good, great even, but funnily enough, I find myself longing back for Cold Steel’s simplified quartz system.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I feel that Elie, like Emma in CS1, is mostly doing things in the background that are useful but not entertaining to the audience to show.

It is her personal and political connections that drive key parts of the story though, at least. Knowing the Crois family, for instance. It would be pretty bullshit if the president of the IBC met a rag-tag group of police-bracers and said "sounds legit" in any other circumstance.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

psychoJ posted:

I didn't realize CS4 had a bad rep, but I feel like if you liked CS3 (and the others games), you'll like 4. I have yet to play a "bad" Trails game but YMMV.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You must not read this thread much lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

I didn't realize CS4 had a bad rep, but I feel like if you liked CS3 (and the others games), you'll like 4. I have yet to play a "bad" Trails game but YMMV.

CS3 is much better than CS4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like CS3 more than 4 but i dont think the gap is that big. CS4 has some plot choices i disagree with but its still a trails game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

CS3 is much better than CS4

CS3 is a much tighter game for sure. CS4 is much bigger and doesn't leave anything on the table. Both are real dang good.

Endorph posted:

CS4 has some plot choices i disagree with but its still a trails game.

Yeah basically this

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I feel that Elie, like Emma in CS1, is mostly doing things in the background that are useful but not entertaining to the audience to show.

It is her personal and political connections that drive key parts of the story though, at least. Knowing the Crois family, for instance. It would be pretty bullshit if the president of the IBC met a rag-tag group of police-bracers and said "sounds legit" in any other circumstance.

She is kind of important narratively and all, but at least with Mr. Croiss he’s legitimately nice enough that he’d just squeeze in the up and comer rag-tag group of police-bracers who were fighting Crossbell’s corruption assuming he had the free time, it’s not any more contrived than the usual amount of Trails contrivance that you just shrug off since it makes for good plot beats. ive been spoiled enough to know that her connection to the Croises is still important for other reasons though.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CS3 at the time I played it was my favourite game in the series while CS4 is the worst game in the series

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Levantine posted:

By the middle of CS3 I was so tired of Rean and Crow drama

CS4 did not make that any better.

Last Celebration posted:

Elie just somehow gets less and less interesting in comparison to her peers
Elie is sadly the worst member of the SSS, but she makes up for it by being broken in combat and it's not like "worst SSS member" is a damning indictment.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Levantine posted:

I try not to post too much in this thread these days so as not to kill the vibes here for those that still love the series, but I really didn't like CS4 or Reverie, to the extent that I am now more or less indifferent to what was once one of my favourite series. I don't believe that's an uncommon sentiment, I think 4 was pretty drat divisive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

CS3 is a much tighter game for sure. CS4 is much bigger and doesn't leave anything on the table. Both are real dang good.

Yeah basically this

I think CS4 got too big and bloated for my tastes TBH. I think I actually like Reverie more if just because the Daydreams stuff is a big part of why I love Trails.

I liked the first chapter of 4 but it lost me after that. I would say CS4 is my least favorite easily to be honest. As far as just CS goes I'd put it 3 1 2 R 4.

Edit:

A big part of it is just that the megacrossover stuff doesn't work for me with Trails. I'm not opposed to giant big fuckoff crossovers (i love SRW) or returning characters (I love Suikoden) but CS4 never quite landed for me. I've said it before but I genuinely feel like NCVII are more of what I want, characters who have personal connections to all the big events and end up forming a unified dream team but are also their own characters.

Also entirely unrelated but thinking of Suikoden and Trails makes me realize that Estelle and Tir use a staff, Lloyd and Riou use tonfa, Rean and Hugo/Geddoe/Chris use swords. Weird coincidence, though I guess nobody really follows up with the Suikoden 4 dude.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 31, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

Nope Evo or bust.
Like I said a few days ago though, Vita 3K works for the series now unless its further into the game crash.

How does one do this if they want to play it in English? This Japanese version is beautiful but I can't understand as much as I'd like.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I think CS4 got too big and bloated for my tastes TBH. I think I actually like Reverie more if just because the Daydreams stuff is a big part of why I love Trails.

I liked the first chapter of 4 but it lost me after that. I would say CS4 is my least favorite easily to be honest. As far as just CS goes I'd put it 3 1 2 R 4.

Edit:

A big part of it is just that the megacrossover stuff doesn't work for me with Trails. I'm not opposed to giant big fuckoff crossovers (i love SRW) or returning characters (I love Suikoden) but CS4 never quite landed for me. I've said it before but I genuinely feel like NCVII are more of what I want, characters who have personal connections to all the big events and end up forming a unified dream team but are also their own characters.

Also entirely unrelated but thinking of Suikoden and Trails makes me realize that Estelle and Tir use a staff, Lloyd and Riou use tonfa, Rean and Hugo/Geddoe/Chris use swords. Weird coincidence, though I guess nobody really follows up with the Suikoden 4 dude.

I really don't disagree with your first point. I think the Trails series works best in the margins of a really low-stakes story about a small party of heroes doing people stuff.

But for my money, big or small, Trails is still fun whether it's a Bracer rescuing a cat or a giant robot punching a bunch of airships out of the sky.

I guess I skipped all the conversation about CS4 in the long run so I had no idea people were so cool on it.

Bland posted:

I try not to post too much in this thread these days so as not to kill the vibes here for those that still love the series, but I really didn't like CS4 or Reverie, to the extent that I am now more or less indifferent to what was once one of my favourite series. I don't believe that's an uncommon sentiment, I think 4 was pretty drat divisive.

That's how I feel about Marvel and Star Wars so I totally get it. It's like eating too much candy. Candy is great! But eat too much of one type and you may never look at it the same way again. I tend to stay away from conversations about "game good/bad" so I totally missed the conversation around CS4.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Einander posted:

You can convert Shards to items you can sell and then buy the 80000 items that disassemble into 100 U-Material. Which items are worth the most money depends on how many of them you've traded because shard costs for items go up as you buy more, but once you reach the final prices I think Spirit Incenses are the best value. (150 Shards for 10000, compared to 500 for the 30000 from Dragon Incenses.) It's not like the stat up items are that useful, so you may as well.

Interesting. Doing a quick calculation, it seems like the best bet for equipment to buy and break down is a character's +1 weapon. It costs 4000 mira and can be dismantled for 5 U-material. That's in comparison to a +3 weapon (8500/10) or II armor (9600/10).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Einander posted:

Hold on a sec.

Are you saying I can buy U-Material Masses?! With Mira?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ftr if you didnt like cs4/reverie give kuro a shot. it may or may not change your mind because like, its still trails writing, but its got a slightly different tone and more importantly it has a relatively small cast.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Interesting. Doing a quick calculation, it seems like the best bet for equipment to buy and break down is a character's +1 weapon. It costs 4000 mira and can be dismantled for 5 U-material. That's in comparison to a +3 weapon (8500/10) or II armor (9600/10).

Yeah, doing that in the main game is useful for when you're close to getting an important trade upgrade. In the postgame U-Material Masses are the same value, though.

Some Numbers posted:

Hold on a sec.

Are you saying I can buy U-Material Masses?! With Mira?

Yeah, they're at the top of the consumable shop list once you reach post-game. Though it's easy to miss, since you never have any real reason to be in that shop past the first, like, 20% of the game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've never opened that page.

Thanks, that'll be extremely helpful as I try to make a bunch of Lost Arts and Grail Lockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've never opened that page.

Thanks, that'll be extremely helpful as I try to make a bunch of Lost Arts and Grail Lockets.

Grail Lockets so up so often in the RC that it's probably faster to just farm chests.