Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The president of IMAX sounds like one of those titles a 6yo gives themselves when they're playing around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

muscles like this! posted:

The Marvels isn't getting an IMAX release due to Dune 2, which has a six week IMAX contract.

Good news. The marvels will look the same on a giant screen as it would an iPhone

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Good news. The marvels will look the same on a giant screen as it would an iPhone

Absolutely brutal, but at this point, it's honestly kind of on Marvel to beat the allegations

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Just from the trailers that already isn't true.

I'd rather see it in a Dolby actually but there isn't one anywhere near me right now

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They shot the Marvels with IMAX cameras? I had no idea.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

ruddiger posted:

We are definitely now firmly in the age of stretching the definition of "IMAX" to the limits for branding purposes i.e. put more butts in seats. Though the page isn't updated anymore, you can see the LieMax vs IMAX pretty clearly when some screens are double the size of others. Then you add in the projector types causing variability, and now you can have a certified "Filmed In IMAX" camera but it could still only be like 4k. Bottom line is, just because it says "filmed for IMAX" do you really think the cameras they're using on Marvels are the same quality as Dune and Oppenheimer?

Post-script: I will be seeing both Marvels and Dune in theaters and I am excited to see both movies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ruddiger posted:

How many of the marvel movies released in IMAX have actually been shot in IMAX? Like, avengers 1 and one of the Thor movies are the only ones with special IMAX edition releases right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oppenheimer bragging about how they had to invent new tech to fit the filmreel was first time I realized IMAX could still mean actual IMAX any more. I grew up watching those big panoramic immersive films whenever we went to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry as a kid so I got disillusioned pretty quickly when I learned it had been turned into "very big screen". Just sit closer if that's what you need..

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The last two movies I saw at the local IMAX were Godzilla: King of the Monsters and Interstellar, both fantastic movies for that kind of screen.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Endgame was the last Imax movie I saw but Spiderman 3 might be the last true Imax one. Nearest screens are all pretty far from me

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Imax makes me dizzy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm just glad the 3D craze is over. I only watched The Hobbit in 3D (because there were no 60 fps showings near me and my friend wanted to do 3D) and the glasses did not fit over my own glasses very well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I never really thought of IMAX as being much of a thing, since the only time I can think of when I saw a movie (outside of science stuff at museums) in IMAX was Superman Returns. I remember thinking the movie was ok, but also that it obviously wasn't designed for IMAX.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm just glad the 3D craze is over. I only watched The Hobbit in 3D (because there were no 60 fps showings near me and my friend wanted to do 3D) and the glasses did not fit over my own glasses very well.

:same:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/Targ_Nation/status/1685407961785495552?s=20

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My dad raved about Avatar in 3D but it gave me a splitting eyestrain headache. I tried one or two after that to see if it was all the time and it looks like pulling things back on the screen works fine but bringing them forward is painful. And no movie did just one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a 3D and genuinely cannot recall the last time I watched anything 3D on it

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I love a good 3D movie, and I still can’t believe how well the conversion of the original Jaws turned out.

Was bummed that they didn’t do Across the Spiderverse in 3D because the first one looked great.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I do remember seeing Jurrasic Park in 3D when they did that re-release, that was definitely cool

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sony is delaying an already finished movie by a full year because they think "leading man Taylor-Johnson would need to engage in a worldwide press tour to open the visceral action project."

lol at the idea that Kraven is going to be a $600 million movie or that Aaron Taylor-Johnson doing interviews is going to add $400 million to the box office. Sony must have some extremely good stuff at HQ that the executives are smoking.
It's a sign of weakness, not strength. What they're actually saying is that the movie is bad, they know it, and it doesn't have an snowball's chance in hell without all the big names getting out there and drumming up hype.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because dune rules and the marvels looks like rear end

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I'm just amazed people are still out here posting these 2009 rear end Tumblr gripes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly same. But that’s xwittrr for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oppenheimer in IMAX was very cool though I'm not convinced that movie really needed it since most of the IMAX shots were just three-story tall shots of Cillian Murphy's face (unless you're into that). Definitely seeing DUNC 2 there. I wish it wasn't a 45 minute drive and no assigned seats tho.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

Dune indeed rules but I'm really looking forward to The Marvels as well. Carol and Kamala are both great and it looks delightful.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Endless Mike posted:

Oppenheimer in IMAX was very cool though I'm not convinced that movie really needed it since most of the IMAX shots were just three-story tall shots of Cillian Murphy's face (unless you're into that). Definitely seeing DUNC 2 there. I wish it wasn't a 45 minute drive and no assigned seats tho.
This feels like when Tarantino kept saying that the best way to view The Hateful Eight was in 75mm even though after the opening scene the entire movie is shot in one room

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FlamingLiberal posted:

This feels like when Tarantino kept saying that the best way to view The Hateful Eight was in 75mm even though after the opening scene the entire movie is shot in one room

Yeah and it looked great.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Saw both Hateful 8 and Oppenheimer and Dunkirk in 70 mm and it ruled. I don't mind gimmicky filming as long as it suits the film. Most 3D film sucked because the 3D was done in post as a way to sell higher ticket prices. Avatar in 3D at least added to the immersive experience and could distract from the movie being poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

See I think Dunkirk would really benefit from 70mm. The others? Not as much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spider-Verse 1 is the only 3D movie I've actually thought as enhanced by 3D and I'm bummed I'll probably never get to see that again.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I saw Hateful Eight in 70mm because my local theater got a copy of it so why the gently caress not. It was a cool novelty and I very much appreciated the intermission, but otherwise nothing I couldn't have gotten out of a nice digital projection. Of course I'm colorblind and I genuinely don't notice framerate unless it's sub-24, so when people start getting into the image quality debate, I stand back, smile politely, and nod.

More movies should have intermissions, though.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Intermissions allow time to discuss the film before it ends thus tarnishing the only time I might form an original independent opinion about anything.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Dunkirk in IMAX has to be quite possibly the loudest film of all time like no poo poo, in fact im pretty sure you could wear earplugs and still make out every single bit of dialog. So I can't even Imagine how loud Oppenheimer is

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I saw Hateful Eight in 70mm because my local theater got a copy of it so why the gently caress not. It was a cool novelty and I very much appreciated the intermission, but otherwise nothing I couldn't have gotten out of a nice digital projection. Of course I'm colorblind and I genuinely don't notice framerate unless it's sub-24, so when people start getting into the image quality debate, I stand back, smile politely, and nod.

I refuse to believe you could watch the Hobbit movies and not think "drat, this frame rate looks like hogshit"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Dunkirk in IMAX has to be quite possibly the loudest film of all time like no poo poo, in fact im pretty sure you could wear earplugs and still make out every single bit of dialog. So I can't even Imagine how loud Oppenheimer is

Wonder if that was a reaction to everyone saying the mixing for tenet sucked

site fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 31, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

I refuse to believe you could watch the Hobbit movies and not think "drat, this frame rate looks like hogshit"
I did not get the opportunity to see them in Soap Opera Mode, so we'll never know. Tried to poke my head into the theater just to see what it was like, but it was a 3d showing and I didn't have the glasses.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Oppressively so, but intentionally so too. You can usually hear the dialogue, and when the soundtrack amps up into the gently caress YOU levels of rumbling ominousness, it's doing it on purpose to make you feel uncomfortable with what's going on. And, in retrospect, to provide a shocking contrast to the actual atomic blast, which is just a sharp bang.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 31, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I saw Oppenheimer in IMAX and it in no way needed that screen real estate and I basically just had a worse chair for more money

good movie, though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

site posted:

Wonder if that was a reaction to everyone saying the mixing for tenet sucked

If this is intentional it's a very funny Tenet joke

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CapnAndy posted:

The 70mm cut is slightly different from the regular version shown in theaters. And the Netflix miniseries cut is a whole other thing, using takes from both versions, and some from neither.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arist posted:

If this is intentional it's a very funny Tenet joke

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?