Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IPlayVideoGames posted:

You can tell which self checkout systems are built from the ground up on the assumption that you’re going to steal absolutely everything. Those are the nightmare ones.
Yeah if I shop at Waitrose they usually don’t have the scales activated and it’s a much more pleasant process.

TBH mostly I now use the self-scan guns so I can neatly pack my shopping as I go around. Again though there’s a difference where Waitrose will usually just let me pay and go without hassle while Tesco will usually summon an employee to unpack and do a verification scan on like 40% of my shopping, meaning I have to waste time awkwardly repacking everything once they’re done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Tho the best part of self checkout is that the old fucks ahead of you can't pay by check. gently caress them
old people holding up the line is a thing that happens at regular checkouts too.

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah self checkout is convenient now but it feels less convenient and more time consuming than the pre self checkout era that was erased.
Before my grocery store got self-checkouts, the regular checkouts seemed to be constantly understaffed. I think in a world without self checkouts we'd just see that sort of thing as grocery stores seek to squeeze savings. Where are you going to go? The other, further away grocery store that's also understaffed?

Also all my experiences with "express" checkouts was it'd be the slowest lane because it either doubled as the only cash you could buy certain things at, or because it just lacked a "gently caress off with your 10 coupons, 3 price checks, pay-by-cheque" policy

skybolt_1 posted:

Cursed post. No baggers? Begone Satan!
When I was a cashier I just had to do the bagging myself. Always hated when people brought reusables because they were so much more annoying (and gross) then using the plastic bags which were set up to easily be packed.

Having employees who are specifically bagging feels like some psychopath poo poo. Customers can pack their own drat groceries, the lazy shits. Unless they're actually physically limited, in which case, sure, help them out.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i use self-checkout at sprouts, albertsons, target, and walgreens all of the time because it's easier and quicker. it doesn't matter if i have two items or $200 worth of stuff. i honestly can't remember the last time i had an issue with it.

they've really come a long way and it's just better.

home depot's system is the best from what i can remember. target's is great too. but yea, at the end of the day, they're all fine.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

old people holding up the line is a thing that happens at regular checkouts too.

Some Dutch supermarket introduced slow checkouts for chatty olds which may be neat or sad depending on perspective.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The grocery store I usually go to replaced literally all of their checkouts with belt-having self checkouts over the pandemic. Presumably shrink got so bad they now have clerks at the self-checkouts and only have a quarter of them open, at best. It's among the dumbest loving things I've seen. So now I not only have to wait in a line to get checked out, but now I have to squeeze by a clerk with my cart in a lane designed for one person.

The future loving sucks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Capitalism figured out that checkers were taking away from the bottom line and that customers will still come and shop whether there are 30 of them waiting in 10 lines at checkout or 30 of them waiting in three lines at checkout.

Also baggers are annoying because they just throw stuff into bags in whatever order it comes off of the belt and I end up having to rebag if I want to carry my groceries all the way home without destroying them.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you fired the cashier and now expect me to do his job and raised prices at the same time please understand that I am stealing the most expensive thing in my cart every trip.

Also you can tell ITT who only buys things in boxes. Scanning produce in these things sucks. Are my spuds "Potatoes" or "Baking Potatoes" or "Potatoes, Local, Baking"? gently caress knows because the inventory is poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you fired the cashier and now expect me to do his job and raised prices at the same time please understand that I am stealing the most expensive thing in my cart every trip.

Also you can tell ITT who only buys things in boxes. Scanning produce in these things sucks. Are my spuds "Potatoes" or "Baking Potatoes" or "Potatoes, Local, Baking"? gently caress knows because the inventory is poo poo.

I buy vegetables every time and I handle this just fine. Either they have a PLU code or they're pretty recognizable. These days the machines will let you search by general name and then compare to the images on the screen in case you don't know exactly what it is. The worst I've ever had was when I didn't know how they were tagging green onions in one of the shops (it was specifically as scallions, nothing else was available), and I only needed to ask a staff member once to sort that out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also any grocery store still using a separate waiting line for each checkout counter isn't allowed to talk about efficiency.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Echophonic posted:

The future loving sucks.

:hmmyes:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I buy vegetables every time and I handle this just fine. Either they have a PLU code or they're pretty recognizable. These days the machines will let you search by general name and then compare to the images on the screen in case you don't know exactly what it is. The worst I've ever had was when I didn't know how they were tagging green onions in one of the shops (it was specifically as scallions, nothing else was available), and I only needed to ask a staff member once to sort that out.
That's cool or I could just not do that. Because I don't want to, because that's the loving cashier's job and he is better at it.

Like I think it's probably fine to have some self checkout machines for everyone who's so powerfully anti-social that they can't stand to look at another human for 3 seconds while they buy Doritos, but for the rest of us it's just more work and no benefit.

Like maybe I don't get it because I'm not in the target market for Cashier Simulator 2K3 on Steam but I have zero interest in doing somebody else's job for no money.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 31, 2023

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

withak posted:

Also any grocery store still using a separate waiting line for each checkout counter isn't allowed to talk about efficiency.

I remember reading that people hate shared queues and complain endlessly because they’ve decided it’s slower, which encourages places to stick to separate queues per checkout despite the inefficiency.

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 31, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's cool or I could just not do that. Because I don't want to, because that's the loving cashier's job and he is better at it.

Like I think it's probably fine to have some self checkout machines for everyone who's so powerfully anti-social that they can't stand to look at another human for 3 seconds while they buy Doritos, but for the rest of us it's just more work and no benefit.

I'm (a) powerfully anti-social and (b) eager to reduce my human contact to a minimum since a high-profile plague confirmed to me that people are loving disgusting so I'll keep using those. You keep getting served in the staffed lanes. Hell, me not being there means your line is shorter, so maybe stop complaining!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm autistic and I usually choose the self checkout because I often lack the energy to do any socializing :smith:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm (a) powerfully anti-social and (b) eager to reduce my human contact to a minimum since a high-profile plague confirmed to me that people are loving disgusting so I'll keep using those. You keep getting served in the staffed lanes. Hell, me not being there means your line is shorter, so maybe stop complaining!
Dawg I've been complaining here for a decade and I'm not going to stop now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Like maybe I don't get it because I'm not in the target market for Cashier Simulator 2K3 on Steam but I have zero interest in doing somebody else's job for no money.

I agree there's something kind of lame about companies offloading the job of an employee onto the customer, but man does it not feel worth it to stand in line for like 5 minutes just so someone else can drag my stuff over a scanner and occasionally punch in 4 digits.

Personally the benefit for me is less waiting, it's a little easier to pack my bag(s) and you can occasionally make an oopsie-in-your-favor when scanning.

Again, it does feel lovely that a lot of self checkout amounts to companies saving money by offloading work to the customer, rather then any customer convenience (if not inconvenience for many) but I'd also imagine in some fantastical post-capitalist utopia, or even a world where we have some good kind of UBI, you'd probably be scanning your own groceries anyways because lol at the idea of anyone actually wanting to be a cashier.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

maybe i'm crazy, but i don't consider scanning things and pressing a few buttons for a max of three minutes all that hard or strenuous. even if i did, i think these few things are worth the ability to leave the market quicker, which is really what i care about. i also get to bag things how i like, which is great.

and the produce thing, i don't know, at least at sprouts they barcode pretty much everything. and in the event the sticker fell off, the catalog's easy to navigate. i don't buy produce from albertsons around here because it's...not great.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

My brother-in-christ if you're not typing in the number you just hit whatever the gently caress you want no one is going to check you on it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oxyclean posted:

Before my grocery store got self-checkouts, the regular checkouts seemed to be constantly understaffed. I think in a world without self checkouts we'd just see that sort of thing as grocery stores seek to squeeze savings. Where are you going to go? The other, further away grocery store that's also understaffed? .

Yeah, I didn't have this specific issue. Perhaps that privilege of living somewhere with plenty of people being hired for a (poo poo) job, but I remember when every Stater Bros line had a cashier and a bagger on weekends, and most of them still had both on weekdays. It feels like it was only in the immediate leadup to and right after self checkout became s thing that this cutting of labor happened around me.

And I'm pretty sure said cutting of labor was probably done specifically as justification for why self checkout would be helpful to people.

Edit: also yeah if you ever do self checkout just check out your veggies as the cheapest variant of whatever you got. No ones gonna look at your bag of 100% organic pure russet potatoes and go 'wait a second you charged those as the cheaper brown potato'

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
lol we're back to self check out is killing these minimum wage jobs mostly worked by high schoolers

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
folks typing in onion and not knowing if the onion they're holding is a yellow/white/green onion

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

if there's a price difference for any of varieties of produce you just do the cheapest

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I see people of all ages working at the grocery store.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

skybolt_1 posted:

The real value is to serve as an implicit reminder to the non-displaced workers that they too could be replaced and should keep their mouths shut and heads down.

I'm usually of this opinion for some things, but the reality here is almost certainly that, running the numbers, it's just cheaper, labor loving or not. The only places that wouldn't install it are places like Trader Joe's where the cashier has a little bell to ring or whatever, and that's half the reason people go there when it's already over priced.

I definitely wouldn't put it past the Waltons or Target to do it as a giant middle finger for labor, but even smaller stores have them sometimes. Basically,

Oxyclean posted:

Before my grocery store got self-checkouts, the regular checkouts seemed to be constantly understaffed. I think in a world without self checkouts we'd just see that sort of thing as grocery stores seek to squeeze savings. Where are you going to go? The other, further away grocery store that's also understaffed?

That said,

quote:

Having employees who are specifically bagging feels like some psychopath poo poo. Customers can pack their own drat groceries, the lazy shits. Unless they're actually physically limited, in which case, sure, help them out.

It used to be that the clerk at the grocery not only packed your bags, but did it because they were the one fetching items for you too.

withak posted:

Capitalism figured out that checkers were taking away from the bottom line and that customers will still come and shop whether there are 30 of them waiting in 10 lines at checkout or 30 of them waiting in three lines at checkout.

Also baggers are annoying because they just throw stuff into bags in whatever order it comes off of the belt and I end up having to rebag if I want to carry my groceries all the way home without destroying them.

Not always. Some (not all) customers will in fact decide "lol gently caress this I'll come back another time" and then abandon a whole cart filled with perishables on the floor if they see the lines as too long.

Anyway, when I did bagging decades ago at a grocery store (and parking lot cart pushing and any other kind of dumb stuff), having someone bag definitely made a difference in throughput, and it was likely cheaper for them than having more cashiers opening more lanes. But, it's cheaper still to pay one cashier to run 6 lanes of people bagging their groceries at half speed, which is why we see it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

uggy posted:

lol we're back to self check out is killing these minimum wage jobs mostly worked by high schoolers

I don't think I've seen a cashier that was a high schooler in years, it's usually somebody in their 20s or a senior who's working part time. The high school kids mostly work carryout if they're at the grocery store. I think there was enough headaches about being old enough to approve alcohol sales that they gave up having minors run tills.

I think I mostly see kids working fast food, at gas stations, and starbucks

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Finland has the produce weighing in the place where you pick them up (with convenient numbers for each product for the price). You get a sticker with the barcode that you then use during the checkout.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

uggy posted:

lol we're back to self check out is killing these minimum wage jobs mostly worked by mid twenties college grads

Ftfy

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

uggy posted:

grocery stores being notable for only being open after 4pm and on weekends

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Andrast posted:

Finland has the produce weighing in the place where you pick them up (with convenient numbers for each product for the price). You get a sticker with the barcode that you then use during the checkout.

America has that too and you can opt to scan that printed barcode instead of weighing it and entering the number on the self checkout machine. The self checkout method is just stream-lining it by eliminating the print and scan.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

:dafuq:

I prefer self checkout myself but this has to be the dumbest take I've seen on them.

Look at the people who go there: old boomers. They love servants and being waited on. I don't want someone to do something so simple. They don't look like they want to do it either.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
I'm shocked so many people in the tech thread are actually still grocery shopping in person, self checkouts or not. As of mid 2022 about 60% of people in the UK buy at least some of their groceries online, 16% all of their groceries online. And those figures are going up consistently year to year.

It takes all of 2 minutes to re-add all the usuals from a week ago once a week, and it gets delivered right to your door at a time that suits you. I couldn't imagine going back to having to travel to a grocery store, wander around it, bring all the bags back etc. Its hours a week saved.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Blut posted:

I'm shocked so many people in the tech thread are actually still grocery shopping in person, self checkouts or not. As of mid 2022 about 60% of people in the UK buy at least some of their groceries online, 16% all of their groceries online. And those figures are going up consistently year to year.

It takes all of 2 minutes to re-add all the usuals from a week ago once a week, and it gets delivered right to your door at a time that suits you. I couldn't imagine going back to having to travel to a grocery store, wander around it, bring all the bags back etc. Its hours a week saved.
lol at not squeezing your fruit before you buy it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't trust other people to choose my produce.

Also from what I hear from people who do use these services they tend to make really bizarre substitutions if they can't find what you ordered.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Vegetable posted:

lol at not squeezing your fruit before you buy it

I have a strong preference for fruit pre-squeezed by 40 previous customers.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

Earlier self checkouts were pretty picky about "unexpected item in bagging area" - I wonder if people just had bad experiences with that and have avoided them since, or some areas still just have older /pickier machines/software.

I used to work on Self Checkout machines, the reason this happened is the scales were cheap and would get overloaded easily, typically by a small child sitting/jumping on them. They would have to be recalibrated after that or else the weights would be way off on everything. This doesn't happen as much on the produce scale because they are higher quality and far more closely regulated due to them determining price.

uggy posted:

Do you think grocery stores close during the day?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Owling Howl posted:

I have a strong preference for fruit pre-squeezed by 40 previous customers.

One weird trick that the makers of Juicero hate!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't know if it was the Texas politics thread or the Austin thread, but we kind of sorted out HEB (the chain here. The 'B' stands for "Butt!") has higher prices for ordering online.

And yeah, random-rear end substitutions and the gnarliest produce.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blut posted:

I tried a grocery delivery thing during the pandemic but I didn't really care for paying a bunch extra for someone to pick out a bunch of substitutes I didn't want, and even when I would pick "don't substitute" also the website UI sucked and there was a lot of confusing stuff when it came to picking items that would normally be weighed, and was just generally annoying to navigate and find exactly what I wanted.

If it didn't cost extra, I'd probably consider it more, but I generally shop in small amounts and buy stuff as I need it, and so it seems super wasteful when I can just walk 5 minutes to the store.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Blut posted:

I go grocery shopping still because I like browsing instead of tunnel-vision shopping, I did so much of that when I was living paycheck to paycheck, spending down to the decimal points in my bank account, that being able to just go walk around and look at/try new things is still a joy. And for as much as I like the store I usually go to, they're not the greatest at double-checking expiration dates on perishables (not to be confused with Best Buy dates because who cares) so no way in hell would I bother with online ordering where somebody else goes and does that for me.

It's also easier for me to plan meals based on what produce looks good/what's available. Sometimes they're just outta stuff or it looks gross/off/wilted, or they've got a deal of some kind at the deli counter that I can plan around. I don't get the same brainstorming going if I'm staring at an Add to Cart button

Jesus III posted:

Look at the people who go there: old boomers. They love servants and being waited on. I don't want someone to do something so simple. They don't look like they want to do it either.

:wtc: I can promise you that people besides boomers buy groceries, they were the ones who showed up most often because they are the largest cross-section of people with free time during the day + doing things the way they've always done things instead of using new technology. Nobody gave a poo poo about whether you used a self checkout or used a regular checkout, they mostly cared about whether you were polite and/or if you partially prefilled-out your check so you could be through the line quicker

bawk fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't trust other people to choose my produce.

Also from what I hear from people who do use these services they tend to make really bizarre substitutions if they can't find what you ordered.

Even fairly budget grocery stores in the UK (like Tesco) let you select or deselect substitutions in their online shop if you don't want them, and keep to that.

I've never had a problem with the produce selection. You can specify if you want ready to eat ripe bananas, or green bananas that will take a few days etc. They're different items in the online shop. I've never gotten anything expired or about to expire either - with prepackaged stuff like blueberries if you order a few of the item they'll send you one with X expiry, one with X+1 expiry, one with X+2 expiry etc usually.

The delivery fee is all of $5, all the item prices are the same as in store.

I get the impression instacart type services in the US dominate and are just a shittier all-round experience for the user, presumably because its a low paid gig economy job for the workers. In-house grocery store staff in Europe get paid (still too little) but more reasonably at least. Which probably helps them do a better job with the picking.