Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so the goodyear blimp was just above town. what is the proper verb for a blimp? does it fly? cruise? float? drift? blimp? something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

According to the Simpsons, it's flying, as in "flying through the air so fancy-free." I can't think of a more authoritative source than that.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cool. btw, what's simpsons? i'm trying to search for it but i keep getting the show.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

cool. btw, what's simpsons? i'm trying to search for it but i keep getting the show.
It's the show - https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Blimpy_Boy

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Taeke posted:

My neighbour is vegan and way into health stuff and took supplements for a long time. Started feeling like poo poo but thought it was stress from work and whatever. When she started getting dizzy and having palpatations she went to the doctor and they did bloodtests.

Oops, waaay too much vitamine B6 (iirc) which can cause serious health issues and even lasting damage. Turns out her 'daily' multivitamin contained like 500% of the daily recommended amount.

If it was B6 that's extra unfortunate, because the only thing vegans need to supplement is B12.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Taeke posted:

My neighbour is vegan and way into health stuff and took supplements for a long time. Started feeling like poo poo but thought it was stress from work and whatever. When she started getting dizzy and having palpatations she went to the doctor and they did bloodtests.

Oops, waaay too much vitamine B6 (iirc) which can cause serious health issues and even lasting damage. Turns out her 'daily' multivitamin contained like 500% of the daily recommended amount.

It’s pretty impressive to OD on a water soluble vitamin.

Possible for sure, just impressive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

Definitely thought this was going to be a story about lead poisoning from tainted turmeric.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

for fucks sake posted:

If it was B6 that's extra unfortunate, because the only thing vegans need to supplement is B12.

Just listened to a podcast about this exact topic. The liver stores B12 and you’ll feel pretty good as a vegan for a long time until your supply runs out. You need to supplement B12.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

that's not how lactofermentation works. the whole point of it is to preserve food before refrigeration existed lmao. lactobacillus creates an environment that's hostile to pretty much anything that isn't lactobacillus, which is why lactofermentation works at all. as long as it's not like, directly being warmed by the sun then opportunistic yeasts and such shouldn't be able to get much foothold. sauerkraut will not "die" at room temperature, it'll thrive.

well maybe it just doesn't taste/smell right when it's "thriving" with too much lactobacillus then, because sauerkraut absolutely can get really nasty really fast when its kept out, i have smellt it myself!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone know what these bugs are? They’re very tiny, fairly quick and have been found various places in the house. I’ve seen a few different ones, but this is the only one Ive seen with color. I’m thinking it might be a more mature bug. Maybe it has something to do with the tons of plants we have around the house.

https://i.imgur.com/45NaNLL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZoUnNp4.jpg

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Earwicker posted:

well maybe it just doesn't taste/smell right when it's "thriving" with too much lactobacillus then, because sauerkraut absolutely can get really nasty really fast when its kept out, i have smellt it myself!

I think you're both sort of right, in that 1) kraut isn't meant to be either made or stored at modern room temperature but at something like 15c, at room temperature the bacterial process is different and you end up with a very sour batch, which is still fine and safe but a pretty different taste 2) submerged kraut should still be perfectly safe at room temperature, but exposing parts to air will definitely cause mold and other problems

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ras Het posted:

I think you're both sort of right, in that 1) kraut isn't meant to be either made or stored at modern room temperature but at something like 15c, at room temperature the bacterial process is different and you end up with a very sour batch, which is still fine and safe but a pretty different taste 2) submerged kraut should still be perfectly safe at room temperature, but exposing parts to air will definitely cause mold and other problems

yeah, i didn't mean to sound like i'm saying just leave yer kraut lying around in big open containers like a slob.

Earwicker posted:

well yes, active kraut culture smells like hell farts 24/7. that's another good reason to keep it in the fridge but that doesn't mean it's bad to eat, amazingly enough.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 31, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there any practical limitation to the length of a USB cable? Are cable extenders going to induce problems or latency or anything if the device is streaming audio/MIDI data to/from a computer? I'm thinking about moving some of my gear to my other desk but still accessing it from my Mac.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with my last query re: rebooting that PC laptop. I didn't mean to start a debate about Linux or anything, but you were all very helpful.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Silly question, but who's actually in charge at McMurdo or Amundsen–Scott? I read that it's run the United States Antarctic Program, but it's not clear to me if there's like a station manager onsite? Does someone live onsite to run it? I expected it to have like a known base commander or something as I was thinking of it more like a military base, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there any practical limitation to the length of a USB cable? Are cable extenders going to induce problems or latency or anything if the device is streaming audio/MIDI data to/from a computer? I'm thinking about moving some of my gear to my other desk but still accessing it from my Mac.

15 meters or about 49 feet for USB3. USB C is more like 10 feet.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Atahualpa posted:

I just got an adjustable bed base like the one in the image below. The manufacturer's site mentioned that although it could be installed on its own, it could also be installed with an existing bedframe. Unfortunately, mine doesn't appear to be compatible; the base is supposed to be installed by removing the bedframe slats and having it sit on its own legs, but my frame has drawers that exceed the height of the base's legs.

The slats seem pretty sturdy; there are 14 of them, 2.25" wide and .625" thick each, and they're screwed in so there's no risk of them moving around. Me + the base + a mattress would max out at about 400 pounds. Is there any way I can determine whether it would be safe to just keep the slats on and install the base without its legs? I'm guessing it's not the recommended method because the base would concentrate the weight where it rested on each slat instead of more evenly distributing it like a mattress. Would it help if I put a solid sheet of wood on the slats first?

Alternatively, the legs for the adjustable base come in segments that screw into each other and there's no way the legs at the foot end would work in the bedframe due to the positioning of the drawers. If I used some segments from those legs to boost the height of the legs at the center and head of the bed, that would bring the base just high enough that I could have the foot end resting on a half-inch thick board on top of some the slats. That seems like it would provide a pretty solid foundation?

For posterity, just in case anyone else ends up having the same issue at some point: I did end up putting a big flat board over the slats yesterday and putting the adjustable base on top of it and it seems sturdy and stable for now, at least. Really glad it worked out, I was not looking forward to trying to repackage that thing in its already-falling-apart box and trying to navigate stairs with it again.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

how long do you mean? i've used a 20 foot usb cable without any noticeable problems but i dont know how big your room is, i tried using a 100 foot extender for a midi controller during a play once and there were some problems and we ended up going with a different solution, but it was kind of a messy situation and i cant be sure the problems were caused by the cable (also it was in the usb 2 days, so even if there were problems usb 3 or c might be better)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Atahualpa posted:

For posterity, just in case anyone else ends up having the same issue at some point: I did end up putting a big flat board over the slats yesterday and putting the adjustable base on top of it and it seems sturdy and stable for now, at least. Really glad it worked out, I was not looking forward to trying to repackage that thing in its already-falling-apart box and trying to navigate stairs with it again.

I was interested in how that played out, cool!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Earwicker posted:

how long do you mean? i've used a 20 foot usb cable without any noticeable problems but i dont know how big your room is, i tried using a 100 foot extender for a midi controller during a play once and there were some problems and we ended up going with a different solution, but it was kind of a messy situation and i cant be sure the problems were caused by the cable (also it was in the usb 2 days, so even if there were problems usb 3 or c might be better)

It depends on the USB spec and what you’re using it for. Pure power can go pretty far but if you’re sending data, it depends on how much. I think full USB3 speed is only good for around 10ft without boosting.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

Thanks to everyone who helped out with my last query re: rebooting that PC laptop. I didn't mean to start a debate about Linux or anything, but you were all very helpful.

Midi is ~32K bits/second, a single 192khz/24 bit audio channel is 4.6 M bits/second. USB 2 is 480 M bits/second; so you shouldn't need the 4,800 M bits/second on a USB 3 connection and the USB 2 cable limit should be your guide (unless you're secretly the Polyphonic Spree).

A longer cable has no noticable direct effect on latency/throughput - e.g. a 15 foot cable has (close enough) to 12 nanoseconds more latency than a 3 foot cable (signals travel ~30cm in one nanosecond per Adm Grace Hopper) and apparently per Helmut Haas the limit for human acoustic difference perception is > 1 millisecond (100,000 nanoseconds) so you're not going to notice anything unless your desks are more than 18 miles apart, which is definitely outside spec for USB.

The longer the cable, the less robust it is WRT interference, and similarly the longer cable has higher resistance so a marginal signal that might just make it through a short cable might not make it through a longer cable, which would then mean re-send, which would in turn introduce occasional delays. This is generally only relevant for cables from the dollar store or from Monster Cable - any decent quality data cable will be roughly the same, with the caveat that if your gear generates any appreciable amount of RFI you might want to get a cable with ferrite chokes.

You can, however, test it out pretty easily without moving the gear - just get a cable of the length you will need and lay it out in a single loop, triangle, or irregular convex polygon of choice (don't coil it up), then swap and see what happens. Then get a person to randomly choose whether they will swap the cables or just act like they are swapping the cables and secretly write down which they did, and repeat 5-6 times and then compare which cable was attached vs when you thought it was worse than before. (The cases where they left the short cable plugged into one end and the long into the other don't count. Do NOT let them use a coat hanger as a control, reguardless of how good it sounded on your stereo.).

An actual, working cable extender that lets you bypass the standard USB cable limit (as opposed to a USB extension cable) is basically a single-port self-powered USB hub, so that's a definite maybe on the latency - all depends on the quality of the stuff inside and the length you're extending to - I wouldn't rule them out but I wouldn't daisy chain them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

obi_ant posted:

Does anyone know what these bugs are? They’re very tiny, fairly quick and have been found various places in the house. I’ve seen a few different ones, but this is the only one Ive seen with color. I’m thinking it might be a more mature bug. Maybe it has something to do with the tons of plants we have around the house.

https://i.imgur.com/45NaNLL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZoUnNp4.jpg

If my grandma is to be believed, they're hickorums, and they show up because someone in the house lives a life of sin.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Here's a stupid question:

There are two "pop culture phenomenons" or something going on regarding some country song called Small Town Road or something and the other being Barbenheimer. I am aware that the Barbie movie and the Oppenheimer film were released the same weekend or close to each other, so like I get what they're referencing but I'm not really sure what the "phenomenons" to either of these things are. Somethingawful is my general connection to news now that the writer's strike has taken away my late-night monologue recap podcasts.

edit: "Try That in a Small Town" is actually what I think it's called now that I think about it

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

credburn posted:

There are two "pop culture phenomenons" or something going on regarding some country song called Small Town Road or something and the other being Barbenheimer. I am aware that the Barbie movie and the Oppenheimer film were released the same weekend or close to each other, so like I get what they're referencing but I'm not really sure what the "phenomenons" to either of these things are. Somethingawful is my general connection to news now that the writer's strike has taken away my late-night monologue recap podcasts.

edit: "Try That in a Small Town" is actually what I think it's called now that I think about it

Barbieheimer is two blockbusters releasing at the same time and they are so opposite that it’s funny.

Try that in a small town is a song about how great small towns are since they don’t have any blac… uh violence? Despite the fact that they do, and the original cut of the music video had protest footage in it portrayed negatively. It’s basically just another dumb country song.

Old town road is the opposite of that and came out a few years ago.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

like I get what they're referencing but I'm not really sure what the "phenomenons" to either of these things are.

Some things to consider on this topic - theaters are currently tenuously recovering from having a real bad moment with the pandemic. Barbie in particular is a mega huge success for them, kind of unexpectedly. This is in a way compounded by the likely drought of any movies coming down the pipeline due to the strike. It’s just a weird moment for the entire theater business.

The try it in a small town thing is also a sort of pivotal moment in some ways for country music, which is trying to decide if it’s for MAGA racists or something more inclusive.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

If you want to REALLY splurge, they have optical Thunderbolt cables with very low latency and lengths up to 50m.

Optical Cables by Corning Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C Male Optical Cable, 50m https://a.co/d/fVhS50F

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

theaters are currently tenuously recovering from having a real bad moment with the pandemic.

For some wild reason I think that the bad moments will continue. Totally unrelated to the tense of this sentence.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Carillon posted:

Silly question, but who's actually in charge at McMurdo or Amundsen–Scott? I read that it's run the United States Antarctic Program, but it's not clear to me if there's like a station manager onsite? Does someone live onsite to run it? I expected it to have like a known base commander or something as I was thinking of it more like a military base, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Well if it's anything like the British Antarctic Survey we have a list of key people on site https://www.bas.ac.uk/people/?fteam=&ffac=1009&fdisc=&fproj=#peopleSearch so there's probably something similar in the US, although they might be more secretive about their personnel for paranoid military reasons.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Well if it's anything like the British Antarctic Survey we have a list of key people on site https://www.bas.ac.uk/people/?fteam=&ffac=1009&fdisc=&fproj=#peopleSearch so there's probably something similar in the US, although they might be more secretive about their personnel for paranoid military reasons.

Interesting, thank you! Yeah I'm more curious about the structure rather than the specific people, but my cursory googling wasn't even turning up that. Though they're for the Arctic station, one appears to have been onsite since 2010? And another talks about overwintering in the Antarctic a few times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Carillon posted:

Interesting, thank you! Yeah I'm more curious about the structure rather than the specific people, but my cursory googling wasn't even turning up that. Though they're for the Arctic station, one appears to have been onsite since 2010? And another talks about overwintering in the Antarctic a few times.

Ah sorry I'd still only had one coffee, so I just focused on Arctic rather than the name of the stations in the Antarctic, e.g. Rothera https://www.bas.ac.uk/people/?fteam=&ffac=23&fdisc=&fproj=#peopleSearch or Halley VI https://www.bas.ac.uk/people/?fteam=&ffac=96&fdisc=&fproj=#peopleSearch

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Ah sorry I'd still only had one coffee, so I just focused on Arctic rather than the name of the stations in the Antarctic, e.g. Rothera https://www.bas.ac.uk/people/?fteam=&ffac=23&fdisc=&fproj=#peopleSearch or Halley VI https://www.bas.ac.uk/people/?fteam=&ffac=96&fdisc=&fproj=#peopleSearch

No I appreciate it! It's fascinating to me so appreciate it. This seems like such a huge logistical and infrastructure lift, it's very cool, but I couldn't really find any info on how it was all organized. This is a great starting point for the British side of things at least. It's helpful to see that there are people assigned to posts for a very long period of time, so that while the scientists might be transient, it seems like there's a more permanent support staff that is more embedded.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

two fish posted:

I'm interested in making a New Jersey thread because I have a lot to say about the state, and it's a place shown in media a lot, for better and for worse, so I'd love to answer questions and show off cool and weird things here. Would that appeal to anyone, and should that go into here or PYF? I'm still relatively new here and figuring out the place!

There's a Hometown History: Long-Lost Locals & Locales thread in PYF that might interest you:

Brawnfire posted:

I am from Rochester, NY; a little city on the banks of the Genesee River and the south shore of Lake Ontario in upstate New York. I've always had an interest in the bizarre and colorful characters who inhabited some of the same streets and buildings I have, decades or more than a century before I was even born. My own family came to Rochester in 1868 from [modern] Germany and began working in the joinery and boxmaking trades, specializing in cigar boxes. Later on, they would enter other roles in city life, including a policeman in the 1910s. Eventually, I was born here, and I live here, and I'll more than likely die here like four generations of my family. In the meantime, let me share with you some of the interesting ancedotes, vignettes, facts and curiosities I've discovered about my hometown's history through newspaper archives, plat maps, and genealogical research.

Please also feel free to jump in with anything you've discovered about your own hometown or favorite city. Nothing is too small or too big: did your town have a notorious character stalking her streets? A tragic fire? A massive public works project, or an environmentalist bugbear?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What do you need to do to get a chess move named after you?

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica

Baron Porkface posted:

What do you need to do to get a chess move named after you?

Be born back when chess moves were still being named and do something novel in a social context where your name catches on strongly enough to become the standard reference for the thing. I think basically everything worth naming is already named at this point.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Not true, the recently dubbed Magnus Carlsen maneuver was just invented, where after losing you accuse your opponent of cheating via a wifi buttplug.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Miles Blundell posted:

Be born back when chess moves were still being named and do something novel in a social context where your name catches on strongly enough to become the standard reference for the thing. I think basically everything worth naming is already named at this point.

real Miles Blundell of a post ya got here. just a prime example of it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Not true, the recently dubbed Magnus Carlsen maneuver was just invented, where after losing you accuse your opponent of cheating via a wifi buttplug.

Kinda weird that one wasn't among the first named ones, it's so obvious!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Being somewhat fair to Mr Carlsen he merely quietly left the tournament in protest after his match notes were stolen before said match and this relative neophyte who had previously been caught cheating managed to beat him despite not knowing basic chess terminology when asked about the match he'd just played and beaten the world number 1 in.

The buttplug thing was an internet joke that soon overshadowed everything.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

his match notes were stolen before said match

Huh, I didn't see this reported anywhere. That kinda casts the episode in a different light.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh, I didn't see this reported anywhere. That kinda casts the episode in a different light.

Yeah Googling it now and none of the reports mention that, focusing instead on the drama. I distinctly remember reading that this had been an issue, but now I'm torn between whether my memory is bad or the reporting is bad or the search engine is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What kind of notes do people make? Planning based on how they know their opponents typically play, or something? I know practically nothing about competitive chess chess.