Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

It felt a bit weird that the emotional climax of the one where Kif has the babies was Amy returning to defend them from predators as they made their way to the swamp, and then in this one they just stand around and watch most of them get eaten.

Glad I wasn't the only one. Also kind of weird that they went to all the trouble to handwave having 3 different aged kids and then they didn't really do much with it and barely gave the kids any personality beyond Baby, Young Kid and kind of emo Bart(?).

Also it reminded me of the Ugly Americans episode where the wizard gets split into a ton of baby versions of himself, which just made me miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I watched half the episode and just gave up. If this is what they have to offer, I probably won't keep watching. You really can't go home again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nichael posted:

Also Leela not remembering that was weird, but at least it set up a funny joke with the sex-ed video. It really should've been Fry or Bender not recalling the process though.

I dunno I thought Leela suddenly being a problematic drunk was amusing

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to be a "b-b-b-but out of character!" people because it doesn't matter a ton as long a good joke is delivered. Or at least it doesn't within reason.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Nichael posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to be a "b-b-b-but out of character!" people because it doesn't matter a ton as long a good joke is delivered. Or at least it doesn't within reason.

I mean what makes futurama (and simpsons!) good is that they have proper characters to a degree.

This was a pretty awful episode. Loads of explaining the joke, a story that stepped on the feet directly of the previous episodes and a proper stupid ending (the test)
What were the Tardigrades even doing with Zap? They take him into a room and just sorta let him stand there for a while, I guess

Also the subtitles spelled Leela wrong loads which was pretty funny

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
This show used to be so good at hitting emotional moments. Too bad this one was pretty bland.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

the show was at its worst when it was constantly trying to recreate the dog episode (bad episode) or the one with frys brother (good episode)

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

PostNouveau posted:

I thought that was funny as well. Amy's dad had some good lines too.

Not nearly as good as the first episode.....but definitely not bad. Several solid jokes.....which is way more than I could say for about 75% of the CC run. Coinciding this episode with the 20th anniversary (and narrative) of 'Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch' (which I thought was one of the three or four worst episodes of the original run) is impressive. I actually think it was better than 'Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch'.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I liked it more than the first one because I don't really care for the ultra meta stuff. I thought it was... about on par with the forgettable episodes of the original run.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I think I enjoyed this one more so because it didn't really have any meta stuff. Granted yeah nothing to laugh at but eh I thought it was a sweet episode.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

TheFattestPat posted:

This show used to be so good at hitting emotional moments. Too bad this one was pretty bland.

It kind of felt like the older writers wanted to write about parenthood now, but all they had to say was "It sucks being away from your kids, and it's tiring and sometimes you feel jealous when they like the cool aunt more than you but you love them anyway." Which doesn't seem worth writing an episode about.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
"Nooo, Kiff. The Doop never leaves a man behind. Not when I'm the man." - Zapp

lol.....very good. I ended up liking this episode quite a bit. The grand midwife yelling "OH THE SORROW! OH THE SHAME!". There were quite a few really funny parts in this episode. I have reassessed it to being as good as the first episode. Even though the attempt at an emotional or poignant ending was lame and didn't really land at all. Doesn't ruin the episode or take away from the fact that jokes mostly landed.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 1, 2023

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

That was a very bland but inoffensive.
It wasnt poorly written or anything, just not a lot going on.
Honestly it was still better than the 'emotional' Bender/Hermes or Professor/Zoidberg episodes of the Comedy Central era

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Thought it was okay. Bit strange that they didn't really make the kids much of characters themselves. I thought it was going to be a parody of the Simpsons or something when they revealed them and their ages but they kind of just fade into the background of the episode in favor of spending a bunch of time on a Zapp and Kif B-plot which seemed completely unnecessary.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I thought that was fine, I liked the scruffy joke, the don't get attached to the the younglings going to the Planet Express counterparts. Branigan's quotes were pretty funny too.

Just wasn't quite rapid fire as last weeks.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

koolkal posted:

Thought it was okay. Bit strange that they didn't really make the kids much of characters themselves. I thought it was going to be a parody of the Simpsons or something when they revealed them and their ages but they kind of just fade into the background of the episode in favor of spending a bunch of time on a Zapp and Kif B-plot which seemed completely unnecessary.

Okay, them being parodies of the Simpsons could have been something I would have been onboard for.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It seems insane to me that people are comparing this episode favorably to the CC era, it was so bland it barely happened and in another few days I probably will forget it happened.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

once again I thought it was Just Fine. nowhere near the heights but also no singing boils or people getting turned into sausages or whatever

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheFattestPat posted:

I assume someone on the writing staff agrees with you with Bender offering treacle during the family reunion bit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

robot roll call posted:

once again I thought it was Just Fine. nowhere near the heights but also no singing boils or people getting turned into sausages or whatever

Seconding this opinion.

I thought Bender had a lot of good quips in this one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish more of the kids survived the winnowing, which was horrifying and hilarious.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

this episode was ok but seeing as a good chunk of the supporting cast is voiced by Billy West, it is very evident that it's a husk of what it used to be. poo poo, even Lauren Tom and Dave Herman are sounding old, time comes for us all

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

robot roll call posted:

I feel like this season was written by the Neutral Planet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

What was the point of the sweets? They could have just cut that entire plotline out entirely and just had them want ANYTHING from Zap
Felt like a late series Simpsons where the intro has no relation to anything else that happens in the episode

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, I spent the whole episode waiting for the sweets to be something more than a McGuffin to have Zapp attacked by the tardigrades.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McSpanky posted:

It seems insane to me that people are comparing this episode favorably to the CC era, it was so bland it barely happened and in another few days I probably will forget it happened.

The CC era had some pretty bad clunkers and these last two so far have been good and decent respectively

It is very distracting knowing Billy West is 70 now though, god drat :stare:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bizarrely there's one more series of Disenchantment coming, they say it's the final one.
I'm floored

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
The scenario could've led to something more interesting especially between Amy and Leela but comes off like a wet fart. Zapp was a nonstarter too.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Also, this was kind of expected, but they re-cast Amy's dad.

I hope no one was hoping that Toby Huss would be back as Kahn in the upcoming King of the Hill revival.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Squeezing the coins out of the dollar bills for a tip had me laughing for a whole minute.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Maybe it would have been better if it turned out all four of them had contributed some DNA, then we could see everyone attempting to do some parenting.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, this was kind of expected, but they re-cast Amy's dad.

I hope no one was hoping that Toby Huss would be back as Kahn in the upcoming King of the Hill revival.

I ran to Google afraid he was at Jan 6th as well, then the white guy playing Asian thing hit me.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Just think of how offended Bender would be if he knew a stupid meat sack was voicing him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was so confused by what the overall message they seemed to be going for was. At the end of the episode, the Grand Midwife asks Amy if she truly loves her children and it's treated like this big amazing moment of revelation when Amy says she does, and the Grand Midwife says that's all that really mattered.

Except... that was never in question at any point in the episode? All I can think is that somehow the writers thought Leela being the genetic source of half the DNA would make ANYBODY think of her as their real mom? Which is such a weird way to look at things that it didn't even occur to me until I started writing this post.

Amy is nothing but a loving (if exhausted) mother the whole episode, and her whole frustration with Leela feels more that she's upset that the kids she loves seem to have a better time with Leela (which is a universal thing for any exhausted mom seeing the kids acting nice with a favorite Aunt or Uncle/family friend etc). There's nothing to indicate Amy doesn't love them or that she needs validation as their mother, it's just a super loving weird ending.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jerusalem posted:

I was so confused by what the overall message they seemed to be going for was. At the end of the episode, the Grand Midwife asks Amy if she truly loves her children and it's treated like this big amazing moment of revelation when Amy says she does, and the Grand Midwife says that's all that really mattered.

Except... that was never in question at any point in the episode? All I can think is that somehow the writers thought Leela being the genetic source of half the DNA would make ANYBODY think of her as their real mom? Which is such a weird way to look at things that it didn't even occur to me until I started writing this post.

Amy is nothing but a loving (if exhausted) mother the whole episode, and her whole frustration with Leela feels more that she's upset that the kids she loves seem to have a better time with Leela (which is a universal thing for any exhausted mom seeing the kids acting nice with a favorite Aunt or Uncle/family friend etc). There's nothing to indicate Amy doesn't love them or that she needs validation as their mother, it's just a super loving weird ending.

The extra weird thing is that there was no argument or disagreement there, Leela was in 100% agreement about it the whole time and at no point wanted to actually be their actual mom. It felt like they ran out of time in the episode so The End lol. I thought it was going to be a whole thing and Leela takes a dive on purpose or something because they both know it's stupid, or have that be question one of one thousand.

I kind of just assumed the other kids were going to get eaten too though when they went back to the swamp tbh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the midwife is being a humongous rear end in a top hat for no apparent reason

If only Leo had tipped her better.

Another good joke along the lines of Leela being drunk were the Wongs bailing because the grandkids are ugly, after about half their lines across the entire series being about wanting grandkids

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think they wanted to do a whole thing with Amy feeling not good enough to be a mom and that Leela's babysitting would play into that. If the intention was that maybe Leela was the "real" mom, then yeah, that's so unearned and out of left field that it just didn't click. Either way, I think if you want to do that plot you need to give it more than one scene of Amy's struggling. Not an ounce of fat to cut on the Kif and Zapp or Fry and Bender plot though. That manscaping joke was load-bearing.

Maybe should have had a ritual the kids had to go through or something. They could have had to learn from everyone. Use the honey sweets on the animals. Eh.

The payoff on the Wongs was decent though, it was easy but I liked the bumper sticker switch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Bizarrely there's one more series of Disenchantment coming, they say it's the final one.
I'm floored

I'm surprised too since it was obviously being ordered in twenty episode chunks.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

I liked the last episode.

No real reason I just enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jerusalem posted:

It's cause the writing was lovely. Some good jokes, but a lovely plot.

The ending had some South Park ending vibes. Where they realized they were out of runtime so they just came up with some bullshit to end the episode plot as quick as possible.