Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've got a weird Apple Music issue that's been ongoing for years and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or maybe they've had something similar happen.

During spooky season, there's a radio station I like to listen to https://music.apple.com/us/station/halloween-radio-oldies/ra.1461019257

It's one of those TuneIn stations (I guess Apple Music has a deal with TuneIn?). The people who run that station have a few others as well.

The station works perfectly when I'm on wifi. The second I get off wifi and stream off cellular data, it stops working. What's weird is that other stations run by the same people still work fine off cellular. It's just the one station that doesn't work.

The issue has persisted across multiple iPhones and iOS versions, so it has to be something with that particular station and I can't fuckin figure out why. What's also strange is that the people who run those stations also have a standalone iOS app. It does the same thing. When on cellular, that station doesn't work but all the others do.

The only fix I've found is to load the station's web version in safari and play it through that.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I still haven’t figured out the automatic sunset to sunrise dark mode. I have both dark mode and night shift set to automatic sunset to sunrise. Night shift turns off at sunrise when expected, but dark mode turns off when I pick up my phone at 5 loving 30 am when everything is still dark. I’ve changed it to something sensible like 7pm to 7am now but it’s annoying why it doesn’t work as advertised.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Boris Galerkin posted:

I still haven’t figured out the automatic sunset to sunrise dark mode. I have both dark mode and night shift set to automatic sunset to sunrise. Night shift turns off at sunrise when expected, but dark mode turns off when I pick up my phone at 5 loving 30 am when everything is still dark. I’ve changed it to something sensible like 7pm to 7am now but it’s annoying why it doesn’t work as advertised.

the sun rises at 4:48AM tomorrow where i'm at. maybe the sun has risen at 5:30 where you are.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mr. Fix It posted:

the sun rises at 4:48AM tomorrow where i'm at. maybe the sun has risen at 5:30 where you are.

6:40am

Either way it doesn’t change the fact that night shift is on but dark mode is off, even tho both are set to sunset to sunrise.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've got a weird Apple Music issue that's been ongoing for years and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or maybe they've had something similar happen.

During spooky season, there's a radio station I like to listen to https://music.apple.com/us/station/halloween-radio-oldies/ra.1461019257

It's one of those TuneIn stations (I guess Apple Music has a deal with TuneIn?). The people who run that station have a few others as well.

The station works perfectly when I'm on wifi. The second I get off wifi and stream off cellular data, it stops working. What's weird is that other stations run by the same people still work fine off cellular. It's just the one station that doesn't work.

The issue has persisted across multiple iPhones and iOS versions, so it has to be something with that particular station and I can't fuckin figure out why. What's also strange is that the people who run those stations also have a standalone iOS app. It does the same thing. When on cellular, that station doesn't work but all the others do.

The only fix I've found is to load the station's web version in safari and play it through that.

Any ideas?

I don't have any help for you, except to note that I was just able to play this station fine on 5G. So whatever the issue is, it aint the station.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't have any help for you, except to note that I was just able to play this station fine on 5G. So whatever the issue is, it aint the station.

That is loving weird. It has happened on my previous 3 phones regardless of the OS. I'm on ATT 5G so it's not like I'm on some weird MVNO doing weird poo poo. Appreciate it man.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

That is loving weird. It has happened on my previous 3 phones regardless of the OS. I'm on ATT 5G so it's not like I'm on some weird MVNO doing weird poo poo. Appreciate it man.

Do you have iCloud private relay? I’m curious to see what happens if you turn it off in safari.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

Do you have iCloud private relay? I’m curious to see what happens if you turn it off in safari.

I will absolutely try that. I didn't even think of that impacting Apple Music.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

I will absolutely try that. I didn't even think of that impacting Apple Music.

It doesn’t. It’s the only thing that explains why the native apps don’t work on cellular, but Safari does.

eta: maybe a routing issue between that station and your cell carrier, and Private Relay is getting around it, but since that only works for safari, that would be why.

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 31, 2023

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Come on public beta, it’s been 3 days since dev beta. This disappearing keyboard in Messages is annoying as hell.

Second PB is released.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I feel like my ugly podcast "cover art" has suddenly started to take over my lock screen.
I'm using Overcast and I'm pretty sure I haven't changed any settings, not that I can find any about this.
Anyone got any ideas?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Usually you just tap it and it shrinks down, don’t know about overcast

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That feels like the fastest update my phone has ever done.

E: live voicemail still doesn’t seem to work. Get a message on screen saying a vm is being left but no text ever comes up. Appears as normal when I go to the usual vm option though. This the same for everyone or something I should log?

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 1, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

phone that isn't going to be released for a couple months, and we don't know a loving thing about it. I mean the only thing you can say with any certainty is that it will have a USB-C port.

very excited about the usb-c port :dance:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I feel like my ugly podcast "cover art" has suddenly started to take over my lock screen.
I'm using Overcast and I'm pretty sure I haven't changed any settings, not that I can find any about this.
Anyone got any ideas?

Looks like I just happened to accidentally hit the thumbnail in the "Now Playing" widget with my thumb.

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-enable-full-screen-album-art-ios-16/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EL BROMANCE posted:

That feels like the fastest update my phone has ever done.

E: live voicemail still doesn’t seem to work. Get a message on screen saying a vm is being left but no text ever comes up. Appears as normal when I go to the usual vm option though. This the same for everyone or something I should log?

Yeah I think it either doesn’t work or I get it long after the call ended. It’s all spam and robocalls so I am not crying too many tears so far but I would probably turn this off if I still needed to answer phone calls just because I don’t trust it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfUuIx6e1LM

Are iPhones even worth stealing ITYOOL 2023? I thought they are impossible to unlock. Are people rolling with iPhones and not signed into iCloud?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Have any of you tried cleaning the usb port? I saw a video where a guy flattened a q tip and sprayed it with wd40 contact cleaner.

Is this sensible or not?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I would use a toothpick to carefully tease out any lint, and then use compressed air to blast out any remainder.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

~Coxy posted:

I would use a toothpick to carefully tease out any lint, and then use compressed air to blast out any remainder.

Yeah this, I use the end of a small cable tie. Anything non-conductive.

Warning: I used my work's building air compressor system on my old phone, and it made the front and back bulge out like a cartoon... thing having air blown into it (it's ok, they went back again). Maybe a little can of air is safer

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are there any good reviews/previews of the next version of iOS? I just got an email from da froot company telling me to check out the new public betas but I haven’t really been paying attention and wanna know what I’m getting into.

I used to be so excited for new iOS but I feel like starting some years ago iOS has been more or less feature complete for me so I no longer get excited.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Shaocaholica posted:

Are iPhones even worth stealing ITYOOL 2023? I thought they are impossible to unlock. Are people rolling with iPhones and not signed into iCloud?

I had long assumed that a (locked) stolen iPhone would be useless, but there are tools that claim to be able to factory reset a locked phone so that’s probably what’s happening.

The phone in that news story was unlocked when it was stolen, which is almost certainly worse (but more for password & account theft).

Turns out the world is a terrible hellscape and it’s best to just stay inside.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are there any good reviews/previews of the next version of iOS? I just got an email from da froot company telling me to check out the new public betas but I haven’t really been paying attention and wanna know what I’m getting into.

I used to be so excited for new iOS but I feel like starting some years ago iOS has been more or less feature complete for me so I no longer get excited.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-17-preview/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-ipados-17-first-impressions/

Viticci is good for this sort of thing. If you don’t bother installing the betas, he’ll have a huge review out usually by the day of release.

Edit: iOS is a smaller release this year anyways since most of the work is on visionOS. 17 for me is mostly full of little QoL stuff that just makes it better. There’s no real big standout you need this now feature in here. But stuff like, auto delete it OTPs from messages and mail is cool, swipe to reply in messages, the new autocorrect, all these things add up to a nice update.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I didn’t even know Reminders was getting a Kanban mode. Think I’ll finally be able to ditch all the third-party productivity tools I barely use anyway 🙃

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GhostOfTomNook posted:

Turns out the world is a terrible hellscape and it’s best to just stay inside.

we tried that but they said it was wrecking the economy

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
With PB2 my battery life has definitely improved (while still being worse than when I was on 16), and they've fixed the keyboard bug in iMessage which was driving me crazy. The only bug I've noticed so far in this PB is that at one point all the animations (switching apps, going to home screen, unlocking the phone) randomly got choppy. I restarted my phone and it hasn't happened again. It was like animations were running at a lower FPS than usual or something.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jippa posted:

Have any of you tried cleaning the usb port? I saw a video where a guy flattened a q tip and sprayed it with wd40 contact cleaner.

Is this sensible or not?

As a baker, I use compressed air on the port and speaker grilles on a regular basis.

WD-40 isn't too bad, as most of it is designed to evaporate anyway, but I think it might degrade plastics? Not sure over how long of a time frame though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

As a baker, I use compressed air on the port and speaker grilles on a regular basis.

WD-40 isn't too bad, as most of it is designed to evaporate anyway, but I think it might degrade plastics? Not sure over how long of a time frame though.

the post specifies wd40 contact cleaner, as wd40 now makes products specifically for all of the poo poo people misuse their degreaser for, like that and bike lube

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Clark Nova posted:

the post specifies wd40 contact cleaner, as wd40 now makes products specifically for all of the poo poo people misuse their degreaser for, like that and bike lube

WD-40 brand baby moisturiser, WD-40 brand drain unclogger, WD-40 brand brake cleaner, WD-40 brand heavy grease. All in the same colour can. What could go wrong?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

You would be amazed at how many people don’t put a lock code on their phone, let alone have find my iPhone on. Obviously the majority do have security on their phones, but some people are dumb / tech illiterate.

Also, worst case you could sell for parts.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

And from personal experience, the person stealing your phone may make a pretty convincing case (read: a gun) to just give them the passcode.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Will Apple remote lock a stolen phone if you were forced to give your passcode under duress? Provided you have the IEMI or serial or whatever.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think so but at that point it’s usually too late and your phone has been wiped and sold at a pawn shop somewhere

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The gangs also send threatening texts and demand you unlock the phone or they’ll commit acts of violence (always bluffs, but obviously works on some)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah that one exact situation is why I will try not to store critical info on the phone that could cause harm if not backed up or if stolen.

I can do everything possible to secure my stuff. If a young man points a pistol at my head and tells me to provide my passcode looking at my screen to verify, I’m gonna give them my passcode. Happens not uncommonly here in Chicago. Never any arrests obviously.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

hatty posted:

I think so but at that point it’s usually too late and your phone has been wiped and sold at a pawn shop somewhere

Can't Apple still remote lock the phone tho?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are there any important apps that aren't working in the iOS 17 betas? If apps are more or less working as intended, I'm probably going to install PB2 (I didn't try out PB1).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Are there any important apps that aren't working in the iOS 17 betas? If apps are more or less working as intended, I'm probably going to install PB2 (I didn't try out PB1).

I've not had any apps give me issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

MacRumors forums has a list of broken or buggy apps.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-17-apps-not-working.2391636/