Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s true, wonder if they initially tried to do bank transfers but those were too easy to reverse or track, while gift card redemptions are far harder to figure out.

Ransomware didn't take off until there was a difficult-to-trace digital currency to pay the ransom in (bitcoin). I'd imagine the gift card thing is roughly the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s true, wonder if they initially tried to do bank transfers but those were too easy to reverse or track, while gift card redemptions are far harder to figure out.

They used to do money orders and cashier's checks.

Bezos don't care cus Amazon's retail section is a loss, and the scammers use AWS I'm sure somewhere.

Quackles posted:

Ransomware didn't take off until there was a difficult-to-trace digital currency to pay the ransom in (bitcoin). I'd imagine the gift card thing is roughly the same way.

Makes u think who that Satoshi dude really is/was working for...

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 31, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The nice man from the IRS wants $5k of apple gift cards because you know you commited substantially more tax fraud than that and you're not settling with the IRS, you're paying him to make it go away. Which is also why you're not gonna tell anyone about this, and also why you're gonna keep paying when he calls back next week for more danegeld.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
A lot of people are also incredibly naive when it comes to dealing with authority figures, regardless of age or background. The logic overriding trust of people with authority is so deep that I think it's pretty fair to say that "tricking the new person into making a fool of themselves" is an almost universal human experience because of how easy it is to do

Now apply that trust to something obscure that the average person knows literally nothing about, with the authority of a government agency you constantly see lawyer ads about the dangers of, and "The Government is sternly telling you to settle your special kind of debt from the new tax law in this special way. You don't really understand it, better follow the IRS agent's instructions carefully, or else you might owe even more money later." is probably the scammer's ideal mindset for a victim

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

It boils down to salesmanship.

Whatever the script, whatever the gee-gaw, if you can sell one thing, you can sell another. Recognize what kind of mark you'll be most successful with, convince them they want what you're selling, don't give them an out, make them pay, make them pay more later if you can get away with it.

It works the same way if you do it honestly, just the attitude and verbiage change. Set yourself up to reach the ideal customer to buy your product, establish a rapport and find the right option for the customer, reinforce that they've found the right product for them, graciously take payment and, if you've done it right, they'll come straight to you next time they're in need.

The call centers running many of these scams are doing it as a business. They'll have a hook in the form of scareware, threats of legal action, promises of a refund, or even appeals to help out a family member (these are the scummiest, IMO). What they use as bait matters less than the fact that they have trained employees, coached on a script designed to sell, who in many cases have access to research on their marks (through social media), who know how to work together with other employees to sell the process. It's all aimed to exploit the gullible, vulnerable, and deranged.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Broadly yes, but bank transfers/wires are still attempted, as are gift cards and cryptocurrencies.

shame on an IGA posted:

The nice man from the IRS wants $5k of apple gift cards because you know you commited substantially more tax fraud than that and you're not settling with the IRS, you're paying him to make it go away. Which is also why you're not gonna tell anyone about this, and also why you're gonna keep paying when he calls back next week for more danegeld.

Sometimes ... scripts vary and in some cases they pretend to be fully official - recorded line, you can talk to my boss, we're issuing an actual valid warrant for your arrest, etc.

As bewildering and sad as it is a lot of people are just that credulous, dementia or not, and if someone calls their phone and says "hello I am Amazon Dot Com Technical Geek Squad and I am located in Atalanta, Géorgia" they will sincerely answer "Oh, how can I help?", fully ready to turn over any information and take action irl.

For a counterpoint to this you might enjoy Kitboga on youtube, who basically does a reverse speedrun where he tries to keep scammers on the line for as long as possible with increasingly absurd scenarios the scammers somehow still try to plow through, I've laughed myself stupid through some of those. He even has fake banks and sites set up, so when the scammer pretends to send money that has to be reimbursed, he'll pretend to buy a boat on Amazon or something, or redeem the gift cards they're so close to successfully stealing on screen in front of them.

madeintaipei posted:

It boils down to salesmanship.

(I agreed with your whole post but cut it for size) this too. Many of the scammers are actually fully fluent in English and genuinely skilled salespeople.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
A lot of these outfits are clustered in cities where the police are bought off completely, and they'll often run a totally legitimate business during the day as cover, and then have a separate crew come in at night when it's US daytime and do their scamming. They have enough informants in the police so that even if the police show up, they'll have had enough warning time to delete everything incriminating and make it look totally clean. You have to remember some of these offices are pulling 20 million a year in profits, and their employees are paid handsomely. Until the local government's start cracking down on these operations, this is a problem that isn't going to go away.

Idk, maybe someone comes up with an AI solution that you can sign your elderly family members up for that listens in to calls, and then generates warnings to the victim and their family if the AI flags suspect calls.

Not sure how this is really relevant to war in Ukraine tho.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Mederlock posted:

A lot of these outfits are clustered in cities where the police are bought off completely, and they'll often run a totally legitimate business during the day as cover, and then have a separate crew come in at night when it's US daytime and do their scamming. They have enough informants in the police so that even if the police show up, they'll have had enough warning time to delete everything incriminating and make it look totally clean. You have to remember some of these offices are pulling 20 million a year in profits, and their employees are paid handsomely. Until the local government's start cracking down on these operations, this is a problem that isn't going to go away.

Idk, maybe someone comes up with an AI solution that you can sign your elderly family members up for that listens in to calls, and then generates warnings to the victim and their family if the AI flags suspect calls.

I remember being called with a scam alleging they were calling from some private office when you could hear the giant boiler room operation and dozens of voices making noises in the background.

quote:

Not sure how this is really relevant to war in Ukraine tho.

From a cybersecurity point wasn't russia a lot less potent in its nation-level cyberattacks because a lot of known exploits had previously been used and then patched in ransomware attacks? I mean there's a LOT of ways the russian government has shown its inability to meaningfully hurt the west, and a lot of its ability to do so was predicated around being permitted to turn the internet to poo poo. I realize the derail has passed but

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think he's saying that four years of Trump resulted in the demonstrations after Floyd's murder being much more widespread and vigorous than if the same situation had happened during a sane presidential administration.

That. Dugin and his philosophy of "make everything worse and more insane, especially the internet, to make understanding basic truths impossible, boost all possible opinions (including centrism) in the most insane and enraging way possible, and then jack the fascism up to 11" nearly caused the U.S. and a lot of other places to self destruct. The russian government understood early the power of using the internet to create mass weaponized mental illness and get all the crazies marching in the same direction and spewing the same insanity at the same time. Trump's people referred to it as "flood the zone": you're doing so many absurd and enraging things at once that it becomes impossible to deal with any of them. The russians didn't start the fire but they absolutely tried to pour as much gunpowder and gasoline fumes and car batteries onto it as possible.

If Putin and crew had just kept doing what they had been doing the U.S. and other places would continue to rot away, but he decided to have an adventure and welp.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 1, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I have wondered what are the propabilities with this, how many AKs do you need against a drone.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1686174469465751553

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what air offense doing

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Someone needs to bolt some Arisaka anti-air sights onto an AK !

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Where my punt guns at?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Saukkis posted:

I have wondered what are the propabilities with this, how many AKs do you need against a drone.

There really is a lot going on in air defense!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

not caring here posted:

Where my punt guns at?

using them on the russian navy

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Saukkis posted:

Holy poo poo, Lay Down and Mag Dump into the air actually works. I figured it was just a "Well, you can't really do anything but try to make them gently caress off" kind of thing. Amazing.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Holy poo poo, Lay Down and Mag Dump into the air actually works. I figured it was just a "Well, you can't really do anything but try to make them gently caress off" kind of thing. Amazing.

That's all old school AA was- put as much lead near the thing as possible, hope for the best.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Now I wonder if their donated MG3 shipped with the AA sight :thunk:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

6 gun rotary mounted MG3s, the spider web sight in the middle of the circle.

Hello, Raytheon? Give me 100 million dollars, please.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can I fit a proximity fuse into a 7.62 round

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Sounds like a job for the Metal Storm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Storm

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vengarr posted:

We can blow a at least a decade and billions of dollars to find out! :getin:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

check this poo poo out

a netlauncher

but fully automatic high ROF

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's all old school AA was- put as much lead near the thing as possible, hope for the best.

That's probably how Red Baron Manfred von Richthofen bought it. AA tactics from the wood and canvas era are back baby, ahwooo

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Vengarr posted:

My lab stuck a guidance package into a 12.7mm round (DARPA EXACTO) so a proximity fuse in a 7.62 doesn’t seem unreasonable.

There’s a guided explosive 30mm out there that’s pretty far along development wise which is probably going to be pretty effective at CUAS for local defense.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

do they put HE or frag in it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Now just add a small rocket and we've finally got bolt guns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Now just add a small rocket and we've finally got bolt guns.

Isn't that just a gyrojet?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CommieGIR posted:

Isn't that just a gyrojet?

12 gauge gyro bolt guns are the dream.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
gyrojets aren't expensive enough for MIC grift. I need active guidance on that 12.7 Frag so you can curve it through windows with your thermal scope tied to an electronic trigger.

That'll be a BAE product by 2040... just saying.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

M_Gargantua posted:

gyrojets aren't expensive enough for MIC grift. I need active guidance on that 12.7 Frag so you can curve it through windows with your thermal scope tied to an electronic trigger.

It’s definitely in 2077

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

OICW your day will come

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Issue a requirement that Gyrojet ammo has be compatible with the G-11 rifle. :getin:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Murgos posted:

My lab stuck a guidance package into a 12.7mm round (DARPA EXACTO) so a proximity fuse in a 7.62 doesn’t seem unreasonable.

There’s a guided explosive 30mm out there that’s pretty far along development wise which is probably going to be pretty effective at CUAS for local defense.

I feel like Labs or any sort of Retriever would do a p good job at pulling down drones

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I feel like Labs or any sort of Retriever would do a p good job at pulling down drones

Which is great until they bring the explody bits back to their person :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

ZF1 your day will come

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They'll retrieve downed fliers but they're not the ones you want to hunt aerial targets. Time for some modern falconers!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

There's been some movement towards adopting smart scopes that can allow standard rifles to track drones and accurately shoot them down. In particular the Israeli SMASH optic series has been adopted in small numbers by the American and British militaries. They've been iterating fairly quickly on it, and keep putting out new versions with added capabilities. The technology at play seems very similar to the XM-157 Vortex sight that the US Army is already planning to distribute fairly widely in its forces, so I would assume that there will be some convergent development in the near future to give infantry more organic defense against UAVs.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-smart-shooter-rifle-optic-adoption/
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2023/07/05/british-army-selects-smart-shooter-smash-anti-drone-role/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JZVXts8LuU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Is very important that my optics are see-trough. As I'm on a see-trough diet

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

This guys is one of my favorite youtubers. A Ukrainian blacksmith that makes cool knives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQA0YPmjKOo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Saul Kain posted:

This guys is one of my favorite youtubers. A Ukrainian blacksmith that makes cool knives. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQA0YPmjKOo

That's freaking awesome. Wish I could buy one. As a side note there are Ukrainians selling coins and trinkets made from scrap Russian tanks on Etsy. Haven't seen any knives though. Some people are straight up selling scrap pieces though, with no work just a chunk of a tank or plane.