Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm not usually one to yuck others' yums, especially at raves, but seeing people dance right up against the speaker stacks at parties always makes me chuckle. You're not really getting any benefit by being that close - while PA rigs and the kind of big Jamaican soundsystems that you experience at those kinds of parties are designed to have fairly wide dispersal, they definitely still have a 'sweet spot' and it's definitely not right in front of the speaker. There's some conjecture about this but bass waves also take distance to develop, so by standing right in front of the stacks you're not even really feeling that bass more than someone standing 20 feet away.

I once watched in horror a dude press his ear against a tweeter during a guitar solo on a metal gig. He was probably feeling something the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm not usually one to yuck others' yums, especially at raves, but seeing people dance right up against the speaker stacks at parties always makes me chuckle. You're not really getting any benefit by being that close - while PA rigs and the kind of big Jamaican soundsystems that you experience at those kinds of parties are designed to have fairly wide dispersal, they definitely still have a 'sweet spot' and it's definitely not right in front of the speaker. There's some conjecture about this but bass waves also take distance to develop, so by standing right in front of the stacks you're not even really feeling that bass more than someone standing 20 feet away.
I have a deaf friend who says she can "hear" the music when she stands right up against the drivers at raves and concerts so there's that.

Edit: I don't mean she's hearing impaired. She's deaf and has been from a very early age, but loves going to concerts. She likes heavy rock.

Cable Guy has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Jul 31, 2023

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Cable Guy posted:

I have a deaf friend who says she can "hear" the music when she stands right up against the drivers at raves and concerts so there's that.

Edit: I don't mean she's hearing impaired. She's deaf and has been from a very early age, but loves going to concerts. She likes heavy rock.

There are bands like Sunn O))) who play so low and so loud that you can feel your entire body vibrate to the droning bass. I can imagine someone deaf getting a lot out of that.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Cable Guy posted:

I'm generally not a big fan of German singer Herbert Grönemeyer, but he has a couple of songs with great lyrics:

Herbert Grönemeyer, Musik nur wenn sie laut ist (excerpt)

Sie sitzt den ganzen Tag auf ihrer Fensterbank
Lässt ihre Beine baumeln zur Musik
Der Lärm aus ihrem Zimmer macht alle Nachbarn krank
Sie ist beseelt, lächelt vergnügt
Sie weiß nicht, dass der Schnee lautlos auf die Erde fällt
Merkt nichts vom Klopfen an der Wand
Sie mag Musik nur, wenn sie laut ist
Das ist alles, was sie hört
Wenn sie ihr in den Magen fährt
Wenn der Boden unter den Füßen bebt
Dann vergisst sie, dass sie taub ist

(She sits on her windowsill all day
Dangling her legs to the music
The noise from her room makes all the neighbors sick
She is inspired, smiles happily
She doesn't know that the snow falls silently to the ground
Doesn't notice the knocking on the wall
She only likes music when it's loud
That's all she hears
When it hits her in the stomach
When the ground trembles under your feet
Then she forgets that she is deaf)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

barbecue at the folks posted:

There are bands like Sunn O))) who play so low and so loud that you can feel your entire body vibrate to the droning bass. I can imagine someone deaf getting a lot out of that.

My buddy went to RIT (big deaf population) in late 90s/early 00s and he said all deaf people listen to dnb.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dave Syndrome posted:

Herbert Grönemeyer, Musik nur wenn sie laut ist (excerpt)

I allowed Chrome to auto-translate the German in this and the result was almost word for word identical to the English here, with only a couple of small deviations. Impressive and a little unnerving

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

*freezes up* oh god

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
https://i.imgur.com/7BnFCUT.gifv

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

I honestly love this type of stuff, and the horn one is my favorite. Here's a couple more.

edit:

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

:bisonyes:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inceltown posted:

Meant to post this here too. Australian sports stars looked wild back in the day

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

stereobreadsticks posted:

I think that's just what Australians look like.

He looks like how Australians sound, too

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Croykey! *hair springs out in every direction*

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Meant to post this here too. Australian sports stars looked wild back in the day

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also this was p good

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Just an amazing loop

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

barbecue at the folks posted:

Here in Philly there's a unitarian church that hosted a lot of punk and metal shows in their basement. Sunn O))) came to town and got permission to play in the sanctuary instead. It was so loud it exploded one of the stained glass windows.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Posting more pictures of Einstein

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Dipper didn't look like that.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Who's Bazza 2 supposed to be?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Elissimpark posted:

Who's Bazza 2 supposed to be?

Sex pest Barry Cable

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Here in Philly there's a unitarian church that hosted a lot of punk and metal shows in their basement. Sunn O))) came to town and got permission to play in the sanctuary instead. It was so loud it exploded one of the stained glass windows.

That's cool as gently caress

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Inceltown posted:

Dipper didn't look like that.

His kids went to the same school I did, he'd trimmed the locks off by then and got that stache under control, but he still had weird energy

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

faptown posted:

Sounds like they made it the last

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

LookieLoo posted:

but he still had weird energy

That's what's called "brain damage"

faptown posted:

Yeah. Honestly it's been more a venue than a church for many years.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I saw Sunn/Boris at the Limelight in nyc, that was a great venue in a big old church, and an awesome show

Oh wait it’s the funny picture thread

How about a goatse crystal ball tattoo with too many rings?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
and drip awayyyyy

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
some people drive fast, others love to bet
still others snort coke in a private jet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Baron von Eevl posted:

that's the most uu poo poo I ever heard since founding a religion via impromptu orgy