Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

tuyop posted:

more like the legal doctrine of estop loving with me

don't tread on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
The guy who won elections by saying he is going to make housing affordable:

https://twitter.com/JohnPasalis/status/1686087157230788608?t=4FQgONoLrVow-EBY-wWpMw&s=19

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I'll be blunt as well: gently caress you

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If Canada’s not a Peepee country now it certainly is after a statement like that, Jesus Christ

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'd like to thank alberta for their ongoing campaign to entice the worst ontarians to leave.

we appreciate you yet again taking one for the team

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Justin you appear to have fallen and hit your head. please take some time off while you recover.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

i am the cause of the problems but not responsible for solutions. federalism ftw. see you at Davos.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Huh, I guess they want to see just how bad they can lose an election ?

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its been eight years it's time for Capitalism's B-Team to get another win the fans are antsy

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnPasalis/status/1686087157230788608?t=4FQgONoLrVow-EBY-wWpMw&s=19

Turning a big dial that says "seats lost in parliament" and constantly looking over my shoulder for disapproval

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

literally no party nor leader nor government is ever going to fix housing because they're all landlords

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

literally no party nor leader nor government is ever going to fix housing because they're all landlords

to be fair, some aren't landlords, they're realtors

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The only way to fix housing is massive public housing investment and all our parties are business class parties ergo it'll never happen. On this specific file, there is no difference between them.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I said the same thing to Adam Vaughn on Twitter ~2015 and he admonished me for being cynical and insisted this time, with the National Housing Plan, things would be different. Now he's out of politics and the problems have only gotten worse.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Another Bill posted:

The only way to fix housing is massive public housing investment and all our parties are business class parties ergo it'll never happen. On this specific file, there is no difference between them.

Well the BCNDP is making a meagre investment into explicit social housing, as a treat, but I seriously doubt it will make any real impact on rents. Especially with thousands of displaced people from wildfires within the province

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

wtf is going on with his forehead

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

all star trek aliens have something like it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
maybe i'm just being a 4d chess believing doofus but i think maybe trudeau has accepted he's hosed next election and he knows pp won't actually do poo poo to fix housing so he's gonna let them win. i'm probably giving him too much credit tho.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i don't think we've seen the day where the liberals just throw up their hands and quit because they can't fix the messes they've made.

the closest i could even imagine to 4d chess would be seeing something coming down the pipe in 2025 that will tar the sitting government for a generation, and letting the cpc go stand in front of it, but that seems incredibly unlikely for a whole bunch of reasons

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Classic libs waiting until the worst possible rear end in a top hat is going to win and throwing in the towel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

every rear end in a top hat before this one was also the worst possible rear end in a top hat

the cpc leadership is not a situation that improves

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Samuel Glompers posted:

Well the BCNDP is making a meagre investment into explicit social housing, as a treat, but I seriously doubt it will make any real impact on rents. Especially with thousands of displaced people from wildfires within the province
They could just ban renovictions seeing as they are the most used and abused in beautiful BC, or if they really wanted to help renters explore vacancy control. But they're not going to do anything but band aids because

CLAM DOWN posted:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

They could just ban renovictions

municipalities in bc are doing this, live in a better place

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

thehoodie posted:

wtf is going on with his forehead

Hardhat indent?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
"""Major""" crimes unit

https://twitter.com/wpgpolice/status/1686088889650536449?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

good grief

let me guess, "felony vandalism"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

CLAM DOWN posted:

municipalities in bc are doing this, live in a better place

Are they? That's great to hear. Be curious what kind of pushback they're facing.

I know New Westminster did have a really good one, and they went to bat for it to actually establish they have the legal authority to ban renovictions (could easily see the court ruling this is beyond municipal jurisdiction). My understanding was though that as soon as the BC NDP introduced their weak sauce bill that slightly adjusted the admin for renovictions, which has not prevented BC from having the highest incidence of renoviction in the country, New Westminster repealed their actual ban.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DynamicSloth posted:

Are they? That's great to hear. Be curious what kind of pushback they're facing.

I know New Westminster did have a really good one, and they went to bat for it to actually establish they have the legal authority to ban renovictions (could easily see the court ruling this is beyond municipal jurisdiction). My understanding was though that as soon as the BC NDP introduced their weak sauce bill that slightly adjusted the admin for renovictions, which has not prevented BC from having the highest incidence of renoviction in the country, New Westminster repealed their actual ban.

nope, i live in New West, it's still law, we just repealed one section

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Samuel Glompers posted:

the problem is nothing we do right now can be an overnight fix for the fact that we spent the last 30 years not doing anything

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Basic human rights aren't my problem who the gently caress do you think I am, the Prime Minister?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Get dunked on, landlords :twisted:

I find the Landlords’ testimony about the Tenant smoking in the common areas prior to
March 15, 2023 was not convincing. Based on the Tenant’s convincing testimony, I find
the Landlords were aware that the Tenant routinely smoked in the common areas and
did not warn the Tenant.

The Landlords have not been enforcing their right to prohibit smoking in the common
areas.

The legal doctrine of estoppel is a concept that restricts a party from relying on its full
legal rights if the first party has established a pattern of failing to enforce this right, and
the second party has relied on this conduct and has acted accordingly. In order to return
to a strict enforcement of their right, the first party must give the second party notice (in
writing), that they are changing their conduct and are now going to enforce the right
previously waived or not enforced.

As the Landlords were aware that the Tenant routinely smoked in the common areas
and did not warn the Tenant that it is not allowed to smoke in the common areas, the
Landlords may not terminate the tenancy without first providing reasonable notice in
writing to the Tenant of their intention to reassert the smoking prohibition in the common
areas.

Accordingly, the Notice is cancelled and of no force or effect.

I object to how much weed I smoke being called "routine" but whatever

congrats

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

i love that this country's moronic system absolves every level of government of responsibility by saying someone else should do it

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

maybe i'm just being a 4d chess believing doofus but i think maybe trudeau has accepted he's hosed next election and he knows pp won't actually do poo poo to fix housing so he's gonna let them win. i'm probably giving him too much credit tho.

maybe he's tanking freeland, which i can respect

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

So far I'm fairly unconvinced that the BC NDP's social housing agenda is anything more remarkable than the bare minimum required to do occasional ribbon cuttings to fundraise off of. Nothing anywhere near enough to make up for the fact that the affordability of low cost private housing is eroding away due to vacancy being ~0%. So far we continue to have a clear net loss of affordable housing despite whatever it is the government is doing.

I have a bit more faith in Khalon's continued foreshadowing of a looming shake down of the Naughty List of Bad Municipalities, forcing them to actually create housing instead of being gated communities for the ultra wealthy.

It remains to be seen though whether this is real systemic change or again simply creating enough perception of action to fundraise off of.

Will Khalon actually hold mayors' feet to the fire and enforce real systemic change, or will actions like Vancouver's upcoming detached home upzone will be enough to satisfy him, a mild 16% increase in floorspace, and a baroque set of rules designed precisely to ensure that barely any new housing construction is viable at all. Wouldn't want any of that undesirable disruption that new housing would cause!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The last major systemic change died decades ago, they're extinct now. Only the white-throated false systemic change still thrives across North America.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/JaroGiesbrecht/status/1686144089048440832?s=20

Christ sake.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Full context isn't much better, 'helping' whilst keeping it a low priority will never solve a problem at this scale.

But that's the point.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

if it's important to do, governments can always find a way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

You don't understand, in the full context he tries to weasel out of what he just said at the end!! Good loving god why is this moron throwing to PP as hard as he can

What exactly does he think is going to happen in the next two years? Housing affordability is just going to reverse, somehow???