Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FISHMANPET posted:

Also speaking of tactical/engineering, I just watched A Piece of the Action, is that the only time the ship's phasers have been set on stun and fired on a planet? Seems like that could solve so many problems.

I think so, yeah.

I dunno how many episodes it would have been applicable, though. In A Piece of the Action, pretty much everyone out in the open is involved in a pitched firefight, so even if you accidentally kill a couple of folks (whether by them cracking their heads open when they fall to the ground, or getting an overdose of phaser stun) it's still likely a net positive and you've only injured combatants. I feel like a lot of other instances where orbital phaser stun might be useful run into problems like there being a bunch of uninvolved civilians nearby, or the usual Prime Directive concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

Well, technically Space Shuttle Enterprise was supposed to be space-capable in the end when it was built, but it was found out that making Atlantis was actually cheaper than refitting the Enterprise prototype up to spec.

Then later they figured out it was cheaper to build an entire Endeavor out of spare parts than cram parts into Enterprise to make it actually fly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of the things that struck me while watching TOS is that "warp drive" is just going faster, it's not entering into a different state or anything. Like they'll be sitting there at impulse and be attacked by something going warp factor 2 and it'll just be doing maneuvers around them really fast instead of being several light seconds away instantly. Makes the entering warp scene in TMP make more sense, since they basically had to re-establish what warp drive meant.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And in The Cage one of the people that beams down to the planet tells the "survivors" that they've broken "the time warp barrier" so it's funny as hell to think about much of the stuff we take for granted as the bedrock of Star Trek just hadn't been figured out. Hell, Zefram Cochrane was supposed to come from Alpha Centauri, so somehow we'd traveled to and colonized other star systems before he invented warp drive. Glad we eventually retconned that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FISHMANPET posted:

And in The Cage one of the people that beams down to the planet tells the "survivors" that they've broken "the time warp barrier" so it's funny as hell to think about much of the stuff we take for granted as the bedrock of Star Trek just hadn't been figured out. Hell, Zefram Cochrane was supposed to come from Alpha Centauri, so somehow we'd traveled to and colonized other star systems before he invented warp drive. Glad we eventually retconned that.

Relativistic physics demands that any FTL travel is also time travel. I ain't docking them points for that one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They have compensators for that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Or gone with a completely separate species! Either use someone different - maybe the Tholians, who were definitely already known to the feds - or come up with a whole new species to be terrified of!

tholians would be interesting, so would a new species. the problem there is similar to the xindi though, we've had a ton of media set later in the timeline without so much as even an offhand reference, so they can't be that much of a threat to the federation, and if they later became a friendly species or even joined the federation (like the xindi), well, where are they?

that said i guess we're due a first/second contact with the cardassians, and they love to be a gadfly. maybe we can see some separatist tellarites or something, who knows. pretty much anything would be more interesting than the gorn our characters can't even communicate with

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FISHMANPET posted:

i think it would've been interesting if some alien just dropped warp technology on some primitive humans or something and it eventually led to the federation

don't get me wrong, i'm glad it was retconned, but that might've also been an interesting direction to go in

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tholians could be cool but you'd always have to be dealing with the temperature poo poo.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
By that point Space Seed had already aired, so the thought could have been that we used sleeper ships (sent out in the 1990s) to colonize other parts of the galaxy. Also beyond the Eugenics Wars, I don't think TOS really had the clear arc of human history we know now that includes WW3. We meet Colonel Green, but he's just sort of a generic bad commander, with (as far as I can tell, haven't gotten to the episode yet) no tie to any specific conflict.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

tholians would be interesting, so would a new species. the problem there is similar to the xindi though, we've had a ton of media set later in the timeline without so much as even an offhand reference, so they can't be that much of a threat to the federation, and if they later became a friendly species or even joined the federation (like the xindi), well, where are they?

that said i guess we're due a first/second contact with the cardassians, and they love to be a gadfly. maybe we can see some separatist tellarites or something, who knows. pretty much anything would be more interesting than the gorn our characters can't even communicate with

Yeah if it's like an existential threat then it gets a bit weird that we never hear from or about them again, but it's not like it would have to be an existential threat to the Federation for the stakes to be sufficiently high and also not rise to the level of necessarily getting a reference or plot in the future.

Cardassian first contact has likely already happened since their name's already shown up on star charts and on Uhura's PADD. Though I'm kind of glad they didn't make it the Cardassians.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

Tholians could be cool but you'd always have to be dealing with the temperature poo poo.

Maybe the Tholians would use some other species as battle thralls?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It should be the Sheliak Corporate. I wanna see the negotiations leading up to the signing of the Treaty of Armen.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

zoux posted:

It should be the Sheliak Corporate. I wanna see the negotiations leading up to the signing of the Treaty of Armen.

Send Lawyers, Ships, and Replicators

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If you thought Star Trek court room drama was riveting, wait until you see Star Trek "lawyers drafting precise contract language."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If they ever do the Cardassians they are obliged to bring Marc Alaimo back for one last job

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Dignity posted:

If they ever do the Cardassians they are obliged to bring Marc Alaimo back for one last job

Unfortunately his voice is absolutely shot from years of smoking. Dude could barely speak during his interview segments in What We Left Behind and that was like five years ago. I can't imagine it's gotten any better since then.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
If Cardassians appear they should be a benevolent friendly society, with just a hint of foreshadowing of their future slide into authoritarianism.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
My in depth review of Manhunt;

Following on from that, The Emissary was a sweet Worf romance episode with a fun ruse at the end. I continue to enjoy any small moment between him and Pulaski, which I think is a wasted duo that would have benefitted from coming in a lot earlier. As it is, she's getting quietly put in a (space) broom closet in a few episodes time. OH WELL. Off to join April from Knight Rider, which is the only other instance of a second season replacement character getting booted in favour of the first more popular character that I can think of off the top of my head.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MuddyFunster posted:

My in depth review of Manhunt;

One of TNG's more bizarre celebrity cameos.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fornax Disaster posted:

If Cardassians appear they should be a benevolent friendly society, with just a hint of foreshadowing of their future slide into authoritarianism.

Yeah, I'd love to see the society of poets and authors that were alluded to in DS9, before they went fash.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Lemniscate Blue posted:

One of TNG's more bizarre celebrity cameos.

It's the best. When I saw his name pop up, I was a bit baffled, then I looked it up and laughed really hard.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, I'd love to see the society of poets and authors that were alluded to in DS9, before they went fash.

Turns out that those aren't exactly mutually exclusive things.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fornax Disaster posted:

A.o.D. posted:

this would unironically be great imo

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

The line was "Zefram Cochrane of Alpha Centauri", correct? If he became the first human to take up residence in another solar system, that in itself would almost certainly have been a significant enough achievement to earn that distinction even without being born there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/wd8cHu7.mp4

It's 1999 and you're 15. You just rented a new episode of DS9 from blockbuster. Someone else is using the front room so you take it down to the back of the house and push it into the old VCR, the one where you have to fiddle with the knobs to make it work right. You turn up the volume a bit so you can hear it over the sound of the rain against the window, and curl up on the old sofa on the cushions flattened with age, and watch, enraptured.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i can hear the vhs audio tracking static lol

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Toxic Mental posted:

I'm in the middle of a full series rewatch and I'm on season 2, episode 4.

I'm doing what I call the "Good Sopranos" edit, which is where I fast forward through all Livia, Meadow, and Dr. Melfi scenes. I have recommended this self-edit in the past to friends who have not seen the show and they appreciated it. Sort of like how there are DS9 compilations where they just remove all the stupidass filler episodes about baseball and poo poo.

HO!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biFSXNcLe6U

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Good shoot.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Someone skipping Take Me Out To The Holosuite?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

https://i.imgur.com/wd8cHu7.mp4

It's 1999 and you're 15. You just rented a new episode of DS9 from blockbuster. Someone else is using the front room so you take it down to the back of the house and push it into the old VCR, the one where you have to fiddle with the knobs to make it work right. You turn up the volume a bit so you can hear it over the sound of the rain against the window, and curl up on the old sofa on the cushions flattened with age, and watch, enraptured.

Same, but it’s 1998 and it’s a fuzzy recording of the previous night’s new Voyager episode, Timeless. You saw the previews for it during the week, and the ship crashing into the ice planet captured your imagination. Sadly, it was on too late (5th grade woes) and had to settle watching it the next morning while you ate your Lucky Charms before catching the school bus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

i can hear the vhs audio tracking static lol

Da da daAaAaaAAaauhh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

The line was "Zefram Cochrane of Alpha Centauri", correct? If he became the first human to take up residence in another solar system, that in itself would almost certainly have been a significant enough achievement to earn that distinction even without being born there.

honestly the canon issue here is like i can't even imagine cromwell's cochrane going and living somewhere else. taking his ship there? absolutely. but that guy is ride or die for his lovely post-apocalyptic bar.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Da da daAaAaaAAaauhh

The current thread title is perfect, however...

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Since picard shows that the most important thing in TNG was borgborgborg, any episode not about borg is filler, thus a proper rewatch of tng should skip all the filler and just watch the borg episodes!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

VOY episode "Alice" Chakotay says they have a full complement of shuttles. The writers are just loving around at this point, right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's especially funny having Chakotay say that line since I think he personally blew up more shuttles than any other crew member.

E: Lol apparently the technical guide for the writing staff says Voyager has two shuttles. They lose ten for sure during the show and seven more that are most likely lost.

Imagine how they could've turned limited shuttles into story hooks. Situations where they lose a shuttle and it's a blow to the ship. There's one shuttle left and they have to risk it for something, making it tense. Building the Delta Flyer could've been a huge deal, a multi-episode project after losing their last shuttle and then losing crew members because they didn't have a shuttle anymore and god drat it, they're never going to let that happen again.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 1, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Iggy Pop. I did not see that coming. Was he a fan of the show or something?

Star Trek: Innerspace was a fun little twist in the sub episode genre.

Also, O'Brien is the worst secret agent. Who greenlit this episode?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

It's especially funny having Chakotay say that line since I think he personally blew up more shuttles than any other crew member.

E: Lol apparently the technical guide for the writing staff says Voyager has two shuttles. They lose ten for sure during the show and seven more that are most likely lost.

Imagine how they could've turned limited shuttles into story hooks. Situations where they lose a shuttle and it's a blow to the ship. There's one shuttle left and they have to risk it for something, making it tense. Building the Delta Flyer could've been a huge deal, a multi-episode project after losing their last shuttle and then losing crew members because they didn't have a shuttle anymore and god drat it, they're never going to let that happen again.

The most egregious one was whatever episode it was where Tom and Torres have to beam out of the shuttle because the computer says there will be a hull breach and then it just... completely explodes.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

FISHMANPET posted:

If you thought Star Trek court room drama was riveting, wait until you see Star Trek "lawyers drafting precise contract language."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_J_4F_nIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

I miss the idea of pre-federation pre-warp human colonies just kinda lying around. Remnants of a bygone era.

I guess the Romulans still are remnants of the Vulcans' forgotten bygone era, but that's been touched on far less.