Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

https://techland.time.com/2012/02/17/how-target-knew-a-high-school-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

Nothing I love reading about more than some smug boomer-types walking into a comics shop where there’s never anyone under 50 years old.

It's doubly infuriating because this boomer gently caress had completely wasted his chance to go to Comic-Con just to buy a bunch of omnibuses editions without even bothering to check out the other parts of the con. Especially when he could have saved everyone's time and money by just going to this comics shop.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I should recognise those robot heads.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Based on that last panel I'd guess that the robots are making out because their pilots are in love.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/25/51

Archie 10/20-22/47

This came up in Brenda Starr too, but yeah, around this time long skirts were coming back into style after wartime fabric shortages.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

I feel like I should recognise those robot heads.

i see Shockwave as the first one.

He took off his ear pieces so he wouldn't get them broken off.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Ultra = short for ultrasound
Ultra = a Finnish fringe theory magazine

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

amigolupus posted:

There's not a big :ironicat: enough for Holbrook painting Angelique as evil for cheating when Kell's ex-husband also did the exact same thing.

The morality system in Kevin and Kell basically amounts to saying it's OK to do bad things as long as you feel bad about doing it, or are doing it in such a way that is marginally more morally justified than however the bad characters are doing it. Hence why Kell's legalized murder business is better than Angelique's legalized murder business, because it's conducted using a better sense of business ethics.

quote:

This is just meanspirited. The reason Ralph can't hunt is not because of incompetence, it was because he was the first person in Hellworld who had developed a sense of empathy by talking to a prey species and seeing all of them as people, not meals to murder.

For that reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Holbrook just forgets sometimes that he did that retcon. It's a much stronger moral stand than any other character has been willing to take. But other times he does remember that retcon because most of the villains are portrayed as being bad and worthy of being killed because they're incompetent, not because they kill other sentient creatures, so it's important that Ralph has an extraneous reason for being bad at hunting.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

The morality system in Kevin and Kell basically amounts to saying it's OK to do bad things as long as you feel bad about doing it, or are doing it in such a way that is marginally more morally justified than however the bad characters are doing it. Hence why Kell's legalized murder business is better than Angelique's legalized murder business, because it's conducted using a better sense of business ethics.

For that reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Holbrook just forgets sometimes that he did that retcon. It's a much stronger moral stand than any other character has been willing to take. But other times he does remember that retcon because most of the villains are portrayed as being bad and worthy of being killed because they're incompetent, not because they kill other sentient creatures, so it's important that Ralph has an extraneous reason for being bad at hunting.

Isn't Ralph like super fat? What the gently caress is he eating and not digesting?

The morality system actually is that if Kevin, Kell, or any of the protagonists like their kids or some of their friends do something we would decry as murder or extortion if anyone else did it, well, it's good if they do because they are Good Protagonists and People. They can make small slips but overall anything illegal they do is handwaved away.

There was a webcomic I used to read where one group of people were keeping a secret from everyone else on the planet; centuries ago aliens had massacred several planets and killed millions, but a few of the aliens who weren't involved had hidden away on this planet. Now, said aliens were shapeshifters, so it's not like they could insist they didn't do anything horrible, because anyone with eyes could say they simply changed their bodies so they wouldn't be recognized as mass murderers. But that one group of people, the secret keepers, were fine with making sure anyone who found the hidden aliens just were killed and their bodies buried. But if anyone else on this planet did that, why, they would be murderers and go to jail.

But the secret keepers could literally execute, and had, dozens of people, people who were exploring and found the hidden place, or stumbled over an alien hunting, innocent people who would tell the world that hey, those murdering aliens are still around, and that was fine.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Crab Dad posted:

You are over thinking about a dad and his son not talking about the dad loving his mom.

Hey now, just a few days ago the dad was implying to his son that they he and his mom were going to go gently caress in the condo, and the son treated it with a glib "Dad, you are impossibly horny for Mom!" attitude.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

The hell is he talking about? Is Daddy Daze Daddy having a stroke? Am *I* having a stroke?

Kid Fenris posted:

Based on that last panel I'd guess that the robots are making out because their pilots are in love.

Nah. Nobody gets to kiss in this comic. :(

Luann

Ooo! An exciting "girls only dress up to impress boys" and "girls only dress up because other girls are bitches" combo!

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a pool party, Bernice, you can just show up whenever

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Heart of the City: Good, though caused a lot of reflexive dislike as people adjusted to the art style and that it was in fact written well for its target audience that wasn't them.

Tiggum posted:

I remain unconvinced.

It's the ancient, pettiest thing to gripe about I know, but I was super annoyed at the one Heart of the City strip that just features a Clippy reference for no reason when Clippy stopped being used on Microsoft word processors twenty years ago. It's such an antiquated reference that The Office had a joke twelve years ago about a character asking technical support what happened to Clippy because that's how long it had been since he'd last needed to write a resume. And Heart of the City just made it look like Clippy's been there this whole time and the kids know all about him!

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 1, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

Mutt and Jeff
"I'm good and nice" :haw:

Endless Mike posted:

It's a pool party, Bernice, you can just show up whenever
This is one of the extremely rare situations where I'm actually sympathetic to Bernice. If I'm going somewhere with someone and we've said we're leaving (or arriving) at a particular time, and they're not ready... :argh:

Doesn't matter if we're not on a deadline; I was ready to go when we said we'd be ready to go and now I am just standing around waiting for you. I can't do anything with this time, I just have to wait for you. Why are you not ready when you said you'd be ready? :mad:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
those bottom Copper faces would be a terrifying avatar animated back and forth.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Yes! Counter-Demons arc!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Nov 13-14, 1962)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Demons were gone like two years or something, pushing themselves to extremes in a living nightmare they chose to experience. A few weeks working out hard is not going to cut it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Weird ingredients for muffins but I trust Mary.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Is that woman now doomed to lose two men to Baseball Hell Island?

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Buck is so pissed that the guy who lied to him about pooping has a career still. "How dare he?! Doesn't he know I'm Buck??"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

readingatwork posted:

To be fair he was probably being a dick to her for years before the group collectively told him to piss off. It’s understandable that it might take some time for her to stop being mad at him.

From the comic I got it was a recent but short lived change in behavior myself

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Self-serve snow-cone syrup is maybe the most powerful indicator of Japanese faith in social contracts that I've ever seen.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Underworld LA Weekly 3/27/1997–04/03/1997

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Some Guy TT posted:

It's the ancient, pettiest thing to gripe about I know, but I was super annoyed at the one Heart of the City strip that just features a Clippy reference for no reason when Clippy stopped being used on Microsoft word processors twenty years ago. It's such an antiquated reference that The Office had a joke twelve years ago about a character asking technical support what happened to Clippy because that's how long it had been since he'd last needed to write a resume. And Heart of the City just made it look like Clippy's been there this whole time and the kids know all about him!

the kids do know about clippy because he's the subject of memes now, all his context has been removed

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The end! No moral.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Comic Strips 2023: BLÖP

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 13, 1958)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/31/03

Brenda Starr 6/3/51

Smokey Stover Notary Sojac 1955

Red Grandy.

Everyday Movies 8/20/36

"Sakes alive, no, I never get lonesome. I've got my dishes to wash and twice a day I can watch the train go past."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/30/41

Scarlet turning the whip into a hand puppet is quite a thing.

Bonus Ad! Cultural appropriation trading cards!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Scarlet is hardcore. Blocking that whip with her forearm. :stare:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Scarlet is hardcore. Blocking that whip with her forearm. :stare:

Thankfully she had sleeves, and as we all know, thin cloth blocks any and all damage in Scarlet's world

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Thankfully she had sleeves, and as we all know, thin cloth blocks any and all damage in Scarlet's world

Unless you're a bad guy, as demonstrated by the warden and guard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tiggum posted:

This is one of the extremely rare situations where I'm actually sympathetic to Bernice. If I'm going somewhere with someone and we've said we're leaving (or arriving) at a particular time, and they're not ready... :argh:

Doesn't matter if we're not on a deadline; I was ready to go when we said we'd be ready to go and now I am just standing around waiting for you. I can't do anything with this time, I just have to wait for you. Why are you not ready when you said you'd be ready? :mad:
At no point did we see Luann agree to be ready at a specific time! The only information we have is that they're "late" for a pool party. (I tend to agree with you on this, but on no planet should anyone be expected to be at a party at someone's home right at start time.)

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Endless Mike posted:

At no point did we see Luann agree to be ready at a specific time! The only information we have is that they're "late" for a pool party. (I tend to agree with you on this, but on no planet should anyone be expected to be at a party at someone's home right at start time.)

It just feels wrong to defend Luann, even when the one complaining is Bernice.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

we should talk more about how daddy daze sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Please tell me Renee Belacuso has somehow found a way to 'Baby Shark' Mudd's likeness into a viral sensation.