Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Abandoned in some Middle Eastern country due to draconian debt laws ?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's usually that the person went into debt, couldn't pay, and fled the country to avoid jail time.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's usually that the person went into debt, couldn't pay, and fled the country to avoid jail time.

With a minor chance of "it's easier to just buy a new one in London"?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

wow I just looked that up and yeah, it's easy to see why someone would flee.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah interesting reading about their airport parking lots and garages

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Lol, I used to work with HF systems, HF radio failures are awesome.

One of my coworkers managed to create a light show by accidentally hooking up 240vac to the 28vdc power input for an HF radio. Haven't had too many other thread worthy failures but they don't fail gracefully.

Doing a beacon call with the ~100w HF radio in my Cruiser will cause EVERY LED light in the vehicle to illuminate from the induction current it generates in the vehicle loom!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

A little late, but...

How to take "Ghost Riding the Whip" to a whole new level.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I just realized you could do the dumpster fire "oh, no - now it's on the move" meme, too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It wanted to go to jeep Valhalla but had to die off roading.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My own starter.

My neighbour's truck. That's a transfer case underneath.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Gonna take a wild guess your neighbor is insufferable

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

those loving smoke stacks, what a tool.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
nice color though

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
It's Alberta. What do you expect?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

It's Alberta. What do you expect?

LOL that does explain things p well.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://i.imgur.com/IQcHXm1.gifv

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ah yes, stacks: I want to catch the rain and rust my exhaust FASTER.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Killer airbags? Let's go again! Let's go again!

https://apnews.com/article/general-motors-gm-takata-air-bag-dba441bc766c53281af7b0692da8ef66

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
One of these things is not like the others

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

My own starter.

Is that suppose to fall off?

LifeSunDeath posted:

those loving smoke stacks, what a tool.

It gets better when you know its a straight six with a single turbo/single exhaust. And the turbo outlet is only like 3" anyway.
It's literally like a penis sleeve/extension.

My own personal mechanical failure:

Darchangel posted:

Today's concept: "oh, look - if it isn't the consequences of my actions."

The Outback was still getting too hot from time to time, and I've never been happy that I have never seen what I now know is the main fan run properly in the car.
My wife found a helpful video from Main Street Garage which covered fan code diagnosis on a 2003 Outback, albeit a 2.5L. I broke out the manual and discovered that there was actually a useful section on the cooling fans, and they are different on a 3.0 H6, mainly four relays instead of two, enabling 3-speeds on each fan.

Four fuses, 2 for power to the fans, and two for power to the relays.
Start with those - one is blown. AHA!
Replace than and it blows immediately. AHA! (poo poo.)
It also blows immediately if I remove the relay and jumper the socket.

OK, then, now I need to diagnose a short. Output goes straight to ground with like .3 Ohm resistance.
Nothing obvious in the relay center (the whole relay block comes out of the relay center - that's handy!) Nothing obvious in the wiring under that going into the fender, so I pull the headlight to get access to the inner fender area (the cabling goes into the fender, up behind the headlight, down the core support, and then along the bottom of the core support to the radiator. I can't find anything in the bit along the bottom of the radiator, so I need to check inside the fender.

And, what's that?:

More light:

What's on the other side of that?

...I didn't.

loving Christ, I did.
:stare: :negative: :shepicide:

Been arcing just a bit there. Thank god I missed that 12 ga white/red there - that's a main power wire. clipped the yellow green that powers the fan, and the blue/red and light blue/white. don't know where they go, but I'm sure it wasn't great.

So basically, the main fan hasn't worked since I installed the remote start alarm. It finally just go hot enough to work the secondary fan to death, and for that fan to not be enough, sometimes.

None of those wires was severed, just the insulation clipped, so I taped them all up, bundled it all back up, and didn't put that screw back.
Went and bought some more fuses, since this is the only car I have that uses the micro blade fuses, and I haven't built up a collection of those yet, and it worked like a champ.

What I'm saying is that I got lazy and didn't check what was behind a panel I screwed into (and I'm pretty sure I pulled the headlight to get that siren in there...) shorted a power wire to ground, which caused one fan to work itself to failure, replaced that for $120, then bought another fan, also $120 without checking the actual function of the original, all for an problem I caused. So, lazy and stupid.
Yep, that's about right. Oy.

Well, it's fixed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

joat mon posted:

One of these things is not like the others

You've got a 5-cylinder that's not firing one plug?
:haw:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wasted spark ignition.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

It gets better when you know its a straight six with a single turbo/single exhaust. And the turbo outlet is only like 3" anyway.

In that era, the straight six could in fact be a slant 6.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Any straight six can be a slant six if you gently caress up the frame enough :pseudo:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

maybe the other one's a snorkel, then

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's going to be one of the end of that generation, I think (hard to tell without looking at the front end, with the custom paint/bodywork) but I'd guess '90-91, which should be a Cummins or V8 in a 4x4, especially if it's a 3/4 ton. They stopped using the Slant 6 in 1987.
But that would be even more hilarious.

I'd be really surprised if it was a 5.9 V8. Nobody ever seems to do that stack thing with the V8 in the Rams.
Mind you, Dodge themselves did it in the '78-79 Lil' Red Express and Warlock pickups. Which, BTW, was the coolest thing ever when I was 10-year old. which was when the trucks were new :corsair:/

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Any straight six can be a slant six if you gently caress up the frame enough :pseudo:

True that.

This talk of slant engines reminds me of the Pontiac 4-cylinder from the '61-3 Tempest that was literally half of a Pontiac 389 V8. That was kind of a neat trick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Trophy_4_engine

This was the same car that used a shaft in a torque tube to connect that engine to a rear transaxle.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The Pontiac straight six was also a cool thing, at least the SOHC variant from 1966 to 1969.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A loving bumper mounted hitch?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Godholio posted:

A loving bumper mounted hitch?

It was good enough for my pops! It's called a bumper pull trailer fer a reason.

Edit, alternately, not for long!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My dad's car that was his grandfather's had a bumper mounted hitch. Granted, the bumper is made of steel and is bolted to the frame.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/5MmLx36.mp4

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cojawfee posted:

My dad's car that was his grandfather's had a bumper mounted hitch. Granted, the bumper is made of steel and is bolted to the frame.

once upon a time that bumper was also made of steel

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

oooh theyre not getting their deposit back

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Someone who never checks the rearview

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
So angry they didn't catch the driver on film to refute or reinforce stereotypes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

GD_American posted:

So angry they didn't catch the driver on film to refute or reinforce stereotypes

you sound like someone who'd install a bumper hitch.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I usually just call them fentanyl flyers, that sort of complete dissonance is usually chemical in cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

it is a smart decision to spend extra time hanging out next to someone who is demonstrably paying attention to their environment

gotta get those clicks