Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Meningism posted:

Hi fishgoons, I'd like some scaping advice.

I'm making a long stream tank (90x28x28 cm) for my hillstream loaches and pearl danios.

I've got the rocks looking good, with a nice spot directly in front of the outflow for the lil guys to latch onto and wheeeeeeeee :3:
The idea is the big flat stone nearest the front hides the pump behind it which looks like it'll work.

What I want to do is have an emersed section at the proximal end, next to the pump. I'm picturing a snippet of stream bed, with some of the bank included as well - a proper terrestrial area kept separate from the water (somehow?!) that has terrestrial ferns and such.

Any suggestions on how to do that? Can I BUILD THE WALL with thin stones and plug the gaps? Maybe a garden pot lined with something to stop the soil leaking, then camouflage it?
Or is it a bad idea, and I just stick to aquatic plants that will emerse themselves?

You could totally use a plastic/ceramic/net/pond pot to contain the planting substrate. I would be very careful not to use any commercial or nursery potting media in a tank- that stuff’s gonna have fertilizers and possibly pesticides/etc.

Make sure the roots of your plants are nice and clean and then plant them in an inert substrate like aqua soil or pumice or even gravel/sand/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Any recommendations for cool floaters that don't multiply like duckweed, or ideally even as fast as red roots? Also curious if anyone has a smart plug they prefer for setting lighting timers?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Salvinia and frogbit working well over here.

Looks like the comets I picked up this spring had babies already.
https://youtu.be/vX8FC2BMkcc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am using water lettuce indoors, seems to stay connected for a long time so they move together in large groups, makes it easy to keep track of them. Plants seem to grow nickle to quarter size indoors, but the largest ones after two months are maybe 3" in diameter

I use this for our deck lights, I should probably use it for my tank lights. Actually I have a spare one sitting next to me. It works with google home and alexa so has voice control

$20 for 2 x units with 2 plugs each, rated for 15amps (a lot) supposedly. They're not rated for outdoor but did just fine in a tropical storm on the east coast last year, YMMV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095K1QX53/

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my poor white tail trigger decided to eat a chunk of glue i put down while i was gluing some coral to rocks. now he's got a a blob of glue stuck in his mouth.

normally i wouldnt panic cause i googled it and everything says it should fall out on its own after a couple days. also he's a loving rear end in a top hat so he kinda deserves it, but now its been like this since Friday, he hasn't eaten since Thursday and I'm starting to get worried. If it doesn't fall out by tonight I think i might have to attempt to manually remove it with tweezers

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I'm always terrified of that, but yes, everthing I've read suggests it usually resolved itself. Maybe the beak of the triggerfish is too good a surface for it. It's a tough spot, I'd probably gamble on trying it too. Heck, maybe even the commotion of capture will cause it to come loose. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Welp, finally made the mistake of grinding a pile of fish food pellets into a skillet full of hashbrowns and eggs. :negative:
I have some in a pepper mill for feeding the patio tub. No idea how that found its way onto my kitchen counter.
Just Crack Crack Crack, hmmmm the pepper looks light, oh poo poo.
Can't even go oh well, and try to mask the taste with hotsauce. It has ingredients that will hurt me.

Try to learn from me folks.
At least I didn't pepper my fish.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm always terrified of that, but yes, everthing I've read suggests it usually resolved itself. Maybe the beak of the triggerfish is too good a surface for it. It's a tough spot, I'd probably gamble on trying it too. Heck, maybe even the commotion of capture will cause it to come loose. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

So far it’s a moot point cause the fucker won’t let me catch him in a net and I’m not willing to disassemble all the rock work to get him. I hope that glue frees itself real soon

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

Welp, finally made the mistake of grinding a pile of fish food pellets into a skillet full of hashbrowns and eggs. :negative:
I have some in a pepper mill for feeding the patio tub. No idea how that found its way onto my kitchen counter.
Just Crack Crack Crack, hmmmm the pepper looks light, oh poo poo.
Can't even go oh well, and try to mask the taste with hotsauce. It has ingredients that will hurt me.

Try to learn from me folks.
At least I didn't pepper my fish.

I used to chop up squid and capelin fish for various animals at the zoo. To this day I can't eat any kind of shrimp, crab, marine invert of any kind. Most fish is fine.

I may or may not have cut a squid, pierced some leftover ink, and gotten it all over my face.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A few months ago I got a rabbit snail, and after like a week, he was, I dunno, hosed to death by my mystery snail

Decided it was worth another go

Rabbit snail has been in the tank for less than four hours and the mystery snail is already all up on him either trying to gently caress or trying to eat or just generally bullying him

C'mon bro, could you not?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I had a rosy red minnow swell up and die a few days ago. That was followed by a second rosy red I found floating upside down mostly dead. So I did a 20% water change on the pond. I thought maybe it was just the heat but the water temp has been pretty reasonable. Today my Orinda(?) Fancy goldfish is swollen and swimming near the surface looking like a pineapple. He's also probably a gonner. Internet says dropsy.

Gonna do another 20% change tomorrow I guess. I'll have to root around maybe there's a dead fish at the bottom under all these plants I can't see anything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yup found a 5-6" goldfish that I hadn't seen for a while (always been shy) floating under the parrot feather roots. That would explain the line of ants that showed up a while ago

20% change in progress and I've got some ammo lock arriving today

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Yup found a 5-6" goldfish that I hadn't seen for a while (always been shy) floating under the parrot feather roots. That would explain the line of ants that showed up a while ago

20% change in progress and I've got some ammo lock arriving today

When in doubt, have Prime on hand.

Sucks about the goldfish, sorry for your loss.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God dammit. Bought 3 silver mollies a week ago and now I’ve got lots of babies…like 8 of them.

All in one tanks are great until you’ve got babies in all the compartments. No idea how many didn’t make it or succumbed to the filtration.

Tank is only a 13g fluval flex soooooo….gonna be well above stocking soon.

I have 2 guppies and 6 galaxy pearl danios.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Got back in town. Another 2 KIA. Just 2 Black Skirt Tetras remain. I setup another QT tank because I didn't have enough medicine on hand to hit them with Fin and Body Cure in the display tank. Either way, I think I'll wait a few weeks with the 55g having no fish in it to hopefully starve out anything parasitic. I might get rid off all the gravel and plants and rocks too, just to be safe.

Update: The 2 survivors I moved into another QT are not only fine, but their fins have totally regrown. So the 55g has had no fish in it since 7/22. I'm going to do a 100% water change and disinfect all the decorations and let it run for at least another week before I put fish back in it.

The Nastier Nate posted:

So far it’s a moot point cause the fucker won’t let me catch him in a net and I’m not willing to disassemble all the rock work to get him. I hope that glue frees itself real soon

Anything new on the glued triggerfish? :ohdear:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What would possess two serpent starfish to wrangle close enough that their mouths are almost together? They certainly don't breed that way, I just fed them yesterday, and shoo'd them apart by turkey-bastering water near them, so they took off.

I feed the marine tank three days a week, big meals for the starfish, usually target fed, and the goby. I've seen some vermitid snails pop up, would bumblebee snails be good to deal with them? it's not a reef tank, but I do have small feather worms.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

nwin posted:

God dammit. Bought 3 silver mollies a week ago and now I’ve got lots of babies…like 8 of them.

All in one tanks are great until you’ve got babies in all the compartments. No idea how many didn’t make it or succumbed to the filtration.

Tank is only a 13g fluval flex soooooo….gonna be well above stocking soon.

I have 2 guppies and 6 galaxy pearl danios.
I cut up some sponge to fill in the little covers that clip on to the slots for my flex tank. It was to keep shrimp out of the back area, but should help with fry too.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Anything new on the glued triggerfish? :ohdear:

yes, i ended up disaemmbling almost my entire rock structure to catch him in a net and had to rip the glue out with tweezers. after 5 days it became likely the glue wasnt going to fall out on its own. if it was a cheap damsel or something i might have let it go but not for a $50 fish. anyway after a few attempts with the tweezers the glue came out and he's back in the tank and eating again.

Here he is swimming around, good as new, in between all my latest impulse coral purchase that cost me a fortune on this dumb hobby

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

What would possess two serpent starfish to wrangle close enough that their mouths are almost together? They certainly don't breed that way, I just fed them yesterday, and shoo'd them apart by turkey-bastering water near them, so they took off.

I feed the marine tank three days a week, big meals for the starfish, usually target fed, and the goby. I've seen some vermitid snails pop up, would bumblebee snails be good to deal with them? it's not a reef tank, but I do have small feather worms.

People freak out about vermitid snails and I don't get it. They're easy to break off if you don't like how they look and they've never hurt anything as far as I can tell.

I think they're neat!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I am inordinately fascinated by this. It's a coral that was dying back, and has portions of exposed skeleton that have been colonized by multiple other organisms, in this case two different soft corals.

This is the norm in the wild, corals are all on top of each other, but in aquariums we tend to keep everything nicely separated from each other. I like that there are two different colonizers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DeadlyMuffin posted:

People freak out about vermitid snails and I don't get it. They're easy to break off if you don't like how they look and they've never hurt anything as far as I can tell.

I think they're neat!

I'll leave em alone then. I like my feather worms, I read bumblebee snails will eat those too.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

B33rChiller posted:

I cut up some sponge to fill in the little covers that clip on to the slots for my flex tank. It was to keep shrimp out of the back area, but should help with fry too.

Came home tonight to see one of my galaxy pearl danios floating around dead with his full caudal fin missing. The only new ones are the silver mollies so they are gone now (the adults…those babies are loving tiny so they’ll have to wait).

nwin fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 6, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nwin posted:

Came home tonight to see one of my galaxy pearl danios floating around dead with his full caudal fin missing. The only new ones are the silver mollies so they are gone now (the adults…those babies are loving tiny so they’ll have to wait).

do you know that they killed him? they might've just been having a cheeky nosh after the fact

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Anecdotally, my mollies were total bastards when I first got them and there were just four. They do chill out a little bit when there's more of them but are still aggressive at feeding time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

yes, i ended up disaemmbling almost my entire rock structure to catch him in a net and had to rip the glue out with tweezers. after 5 days it became likely the glue wasnt going to fall out on its own. if it was a cheap damsel or something i might have let it go but not for a $50 fish. anyway after a few attempts with the tweezers the glue came out and he's back in the tank and eating again.

Here he is swimming around, good as new, in between all my latest impulse coral purchase that cost me a fortune on this dumb hobby

Very glad to hear it! Fish dad of the year.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Was out canoeing the Susquehana this weekend and found this mystery snail

I know it's a bad idea for like 50 reasons but I was very tempted to toss him in a bag and bring him home with me

Snails are cool :shobon:

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

As a kid we never bought snails. Instead we would put whatever snails we found in the pond into our tank. It's a wonder that we never had something nasty piggyback in and wipe everything out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yep found goldfish under some plants. More ammo lock, more water change. Sigh. Also found another dead rosy red.

The rice fish and the golden topminnows are doing fine. Knock on wood. Kind of interesting to see the outdoor bred and raised fish are all ok so far, but the fish bought from a fish store in a tank were the first to succumb. Just one data point but seems like you're trading on the fish's health quite a bit for aesthetics

Probably the worst is behind me? Only one large fish left in there although I haven't seen him in a day or so.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I found two of my serpent stars this morning on top of each other. As in if one on the top wanted to take a bite out of one on the bottom he would have been attacking his top/back. And then two of their arms were kind of wrapped together. So the non-biologist would say oh that's so cute. They're hugging!

And the biologist would say oh my God. The one on top is trying to eat the one on the bottom. It's hard to separate these guys since they're so fragile, but my tried and true method is to throw some food in and then they did separate to eat, and then retreated under the same rock again, but at least they weren't on top of each other.

Unfortunately, there's not much information about the biology of serpent stars other than acclimate them slowly, and the green brittle stars will eat every fish you have. It's possible it's pre-spawning behavior, but most reports of this are from deep ocean and cold water starfish.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

2 x 20% changes and 1 x 50% change in the last week plus about half a bottle of ammo lock

no new fishy deaths yet

In addition to a number of juvenile platinum ricefish, looks like I have a handful (3 or 4?) of juvenile golden topminows and at least one orange ricefish (:mad:) was hoping the one dark orange/brown ricefish I had wouldn't pollute my platinum gene pool but here we are. I'll have to separate the orange ricefish before breeding season next spring if they survive, I guess. I had planned on separating out the single orange one but didn't want to make him live in isolation away from the school of ~8-9 other ricefish

Pretty neat to see I have a somewhat sustainable population of fish outside. The fact that they survived being shipped to NC, and then amateurly shipped in a suitcase back to CA, and then survived a major ammonia spike event in the middle of summer, means who has survived are pretty healthy and will probably continue to produce a healthy population.

haven't seen any rosy red minnow fry or juveniles yet

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

My big leather coral had an injury that I was keeping an eye on. Not sure how it got it, maybe it somehow got into a power head. It turns out leather corals release toxins when injured and it really hurt the Duncan coral it was next to.

Sometimes this hobby is rough.

Injured leather yesterday, healthy Duncan coral.

Half nuked Duncan coral. FML.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

My big leather coral had an injury that I was keeping an eye on. Not sure how it got it, maybe it somehow got into a power head. It turns out leather corals release toxins when injured and it really hurt the Duncan coral it was next to.

Sometimes this hobby is rough.

Injured leather yesterday, healthy Duncan coral.

Half nuked Duncan coral. FML.

looks rough but at least it didn't poisoned you

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Does anyone have pygmy corydora catfish? If so what the hell are you supposed to feed them? Their mouths are so tiny that I took a mortar and pestle to the catfish pellets I bought and the bits are still too big.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I bet they’d like microworms, and some pellets crush finer than others. Hikari micro pellets powder very easily. They might like picking at repashy or equivalent gel food too. I’ve raised sterbai cory from tiny fry which I’m guessing at some point would be the same size as Pygmy corys, they weren’t that hard to feed with mortar and pestle but I combined that with some JBL brine shrimp sieves (I had a 4 pack) and that ensures you are feeding the correct sized particles. Ocean Nutrition sell little jars of ready to feed “baby brine shrimp” which I think might just be decapsulated eggs, those are a treat for small fish too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Golden Pearls used to be a thing, but that was pre Covid. A lot of cool poo poo got lost during those years.

yes we are still in Covid times but I mean when more people cared than didn't.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Golden Pearls used to be a thing, but that was pre Covid. A lot of cool poo poo got lost during those years.

yes we are still in Covid times but I mean when more people cared than didn't.

Wait, Golden Pearls aren't a thing anymore?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Wait, Golden Pearls aren't a thing anymore?

They are but they seem a lot harder to find these days. I rarely hear about them anymore.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

They are but they seem a lot harder to find these days. I rarely hear about them anymore.

Back when I could get my CPDs to spawn (:() they were my go-to for young fry.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
corals! I've put a morotrium of buying any more livestock for my tank until September 1st, but some of my corals aren't actually looking like garbage so I thought I'd share. tank has been running since February,

Here's my latest impulse buy, a gonporia, but I call it a gonnorhea because I'm a child. It was a good price and then I got home and researched and realized how difficult they are to keep alive and that even if i do everything right it will probably die within a year anyway. At least it looks ok so far.

Toadstool looking good, its bigger then the picture angle implies

clove polyps. they are doing ok, not really as special looking as i hoped but some of my assholes decided to eat some of the polyps in the back you can see it looks like they were hacked off. I think it was my Dory, shes moved to the top of the poo poo list cause these are slow growers

rhodactis and whatever the other one is

lovely zoas, barely have grown since i got them

good zoas

and a wider shot of the tank, you can see the pipe organ frag and a few other corals in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nice corals!

I really love clove polyps, but be careful to either isolate them or be prepared to have them everywhere. I love them, but even I will avoid the blue clove polyps because I've seen them engulf a tank.

Did the cardinals pair up? Is that a tomato clown?

Very exciting tank :-)

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 12, 2023