Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think it depends. Like I do the Target shopper delivery sometimes and it works great cause I assume the shopper isn’t in a rush trying to doordash 2 orders. But one time I did a grocery delivery via Uber cause I saw a discount that made it worth it and the guy didn’t bother grabbing half the poo poo I ordered and the stuff he did get, half was wrong (like 2 shampoos instead of 1 shampoo and 1 conditioner). I assume that guy was trying to juggle doordash with the shopping and just wanted to get out of the store asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Owling Howl posted:

I have a strong preference for fruit pre-squeezed by 40 previous customers.

Good news! It's the same fruit in-store and for delivery.

I go hybrid. I hit TJs once or twice a week for fresh stuff and things only they have, and either Safeway or Whole Food for delivery. I take the bus, and I refuse to carry more than one bag beyond what fits in my backpack, let alone booze, a couple of cases of Spindrift, and cans of stuff.

Safeway's prices are out of hand for a lot of things, but their website is so much nicer than Whole Foods. Better selections too, Whole Foods just plain doesn't have a bunch of stuff I like.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Blut posted:

Even fairly budget grocery stores in the UK (like Tesco) let you select or deselect substitutions in their online shop if you don't want them, and keep to that.

I've never had a problem with the produce selection. You can specify if you want ready to eat ripe bananas, or green bananas that will take a few days etc. They're different items in the online shop. I've never gotten anything expired or about to expire either - with prepackaged stuff like blueberries if you order a few of the item they'll send you one with X expiry, one with X+1 expiry, one with X+2 expiry etc usually.

The delivery fee is all of $5, all the item prices are the same as in store.

I get the impression instacart type services in the US dominate and are just a shittier all-round experience for the user, presumably because its a low paid gig economy job for the workers. In-house grocery store staff in Europe get paid (still too little) but more reasonably at least. Which probably helps them do a better job with the picking.

For a fiver id rather just do it myself honestly.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Convenience of home delivery is probably highly dependent on circumstances. I cycle past a bunch of supermarkets on my way home, live alone, and I'm not really home that much. I don't need to buy a lot, and coordinating when to be home for a delivery is just not worth it.

Someone with a family and a predictable schedule and maybe have to detour to go shopping during rush hour is in an entirely different situation.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Delivery is less convenient than spending the 20 or so minutes each week to get my groceries.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How much time does self check out really save though unless you're only buying a few things? Instead of being in line for 10 minutes, maybe I'm there for 8? And all I see is cashiers and attendants helping out people with problems and getting poo poo to work properly. I guess I'm resigned to it becoming the standard sooner than later but, hell, even pumping gas sometimes can be a hassle and you need an attendant to straighten some poo poo out.

I keep thinking of "EXTRA BIG rear end FRIES" and the hospital kiosk from Idiocracy and I do not like it.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

bawk posted:

I go grocery shopping still because I like browsing instead of tunnel-vision shopping, I did so much of that when I was living paycheck to paycheck, spending down to the decimal points in my bank account, that being able to just go walk around and look at/try new things is still a joy. And for as much as I like the store I usually go to, they're not the greatest at double-checking expiration dates on perishables (not to be confused with Best Buy dates because who cares) so no way in hell would I bother with online ordering where somebody else goes and does that for me.

It's also easier for me to plan meals based on what produce looks good/what's available. Sometimes they're just outta stuff or it looks gross/off/wilted, or they've got a deal of some kind at the deli counter that I can plan around. I don't get the same brainstorming going if I'm staring at an Add to Cart button

:wtc: I can promise you that people besides boomers buy groceries, they were the ones who showed up most often because they are the largest cross-section of people with free time during the day + doing things the way they've always done things instead of using new technology. Nobody gave a poo poo about whether you used a self checkout or used a regular checkout, they mostly cared about whether you were polite and/or if you partially prefilled-out your check so you could be through the line quicker

I go to the grocery store all the time. I see what I see. I go all times of day. The people standing in the check out linel are old people. I live in Texas. I guess you live someplace else.

I love that some of you want to protect a poo poo rear end job like grocery clerk. Unemployment is 4%. Go get a better job.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BiggerBoat posted:

How much time does self check out really save though unless you're only buying a few things? Instead of being in line for 10 minutes, maybe I'm there for 8? And all I see is cashiers and attendants helping out people with problems and getting poo poo to work properly. I guess I'm resigned to it becoming the standard sooner than later but, hell, even pumping gas sometimes can be a hassle and you need an attendant to straighten some poo poo out.

I keep thinking of "EXTRA BIG rear end FRIES" and the hospital kiosk from Idiocracy and I do not like it.

I think you've just been experiencing really bad self check-outs. I've used ones in various supermarkets and pharmacies in this area and they've been pretty straightforward, beyond a bit of teething for the first month or so when the places aren't used to administrating them properly.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

The walmart here doesn't make you put items on the checkout so you can grab the gun and zap zap zap your whole cart really fast; the only thing u need to weigh is produce but then you just put it right back into your cart.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Blut posted:

I'm shocked so many people in the tech thread are actually still grocery shopping in person, self checkouts or not. As of mid 2022 about 60% of people in the UK buy at least some of their groceries online, 16% all of their groceries online. And those figures are going up consistently year to year.

It takes all of 2 minutes to re-add all the usuals from a week ago once a week, and it gets delivered right to your door at a time that suits you. I couldn't imagine going back to having to travel to a grocery store, wander around it, bring all the bags back etc. Its hours a week saved.

Goddamn dystopian.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Owling Howl posted:

Convenience of home delivery is probably highly dependent on circumstances. I cycle past a bunch of supermarkets on my way home, live alone, and I'm not really home that much. I don't need to buy a lot, and coordinating when to be home for a delivery is just not worth it.

Someone with a family and a predictable schedule and maybe have to detour to go shopping during rush hour is in an entirely different situation.

A lot of places have pickup like in ye olden days instead, so you can pre-order and don't need to bother going inside to get your stuff. You could just do the pickup on your way home which is way more convenient than standing in line after work.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In the future they’ll 3d scan every produce item and you’ll get to choose the exact apple you want when you order online. Watch this space.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Vegetable posted:

In the future they’ll 3d scan every produce item and you’ll get to choose the exact apple you want when you order online. Watch this space.

There are self checkouts where you just dump your stuff on a tray and it sees your stuff and you don’t have to scan it. They’re a little pricey now but it’s gotta be due to patents and not the underlying technology.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah the technology already exists to charge you for every item you place in your shopping cart without further human intervention, it's just certain implementations are expensive (scanners, camera tracking) and others produce a lot of waste (RFID tags) or both. It's cheaper and easier to just duplicate the process of checking out but have the consumer do it.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Mega Comrade posted:

For a fiver id rather just do it myself honestly.

Even if it saves only an hour of your time (and its probably more between travel time and shopping for most people, and any potential travel costs like petrol or bus fares on top to count too) surely your hourly worth of an hour is a large multiple of a fiver.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the technology already exists to charge you for every item you place in your shopping cart without further human intervention, it's just certain implementations are expensive (scanners, camera tracking) and others produce a lot of waste (RFID tags) or both. It's cheaper and easier to just duplicate the process of checking out but have the consumer do it.

The only "self checkout" Ive ever seen here works kinda like that. Its a "smart cart" with screen and a scanner and you scan the items yourself before putting them in and the cart (kinda) detects if you put something without scanning it first

But it works like poo poo and in the end you need to go to an employee who will check everything and take your payment, which why I wanst thinking of it as "self checkout"

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 1, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I get that the US doesn't have particularly useful systems (for anything really), but I'm quite surprised that Finland hasn't gotten the same system that the Swedish chain ICA has implemented.

Swipe your ICA card at the entrance, pick the handheld scanner that now displays a "welcome [your name]", enter store, scan barcodes located under the price tag where the products are on the shelves, put products in your bag as you go through the store, go to checkout, place scanner in rack, swipe card at the self checkout stations, press yes or no to the question "did everything successfully scan?", press optional coupon or sales offer button, press "pay", pay with ICA card or press "use other credit/debit card", enter pin code, get receipt, scan receipt barcode on exit swing doors (like the ones you see in airports), leave with all your poo poo already bagged.

There is also an option to use the scanner on all your goods at the checkout station if you want to do that.

In case there is a problem or they need to see some ID for age restricted items, they got 1-3 people hanging around specifically for that task.

When you first get the ICA card, they will need to do full or partial controls to see if you can actually be relied upon to scan everything yourself. As time goes on, this ends up happening once every or every other year.

If you don't want to use the self scanning they still have two or three cashiers doing things the old fashioned way.

I have to catch a bus after my shopping and having the self checkout means I got 10-15 minutes to spare instead of having at most 5 minutes to run to the busstop.

It even keeps track of your accumulated cost and sales bonusses as you scan each thing, which is a godsend to people with dyscalculia who simply can't do the calculating in their head.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

SerthVarnee posted:

I get that the US doesn't have particularly useful systems (for anything really), but I'm quite surprised that Finland hasn't gotten the same system that the Swedish chain ICA has implemented.

At least one Finnish chain has been testing those scanners in some stores. I haven’t tried it personally yet because I’m too lazy to read the instructions and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else use them either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Prisma has them I just don't use them nor do I want to.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Obfuscation posted:

At least one Finnish chain has been testing those scanners in some stores. I haven’t tried it personally yet because I’m too lazy to read the instructions and I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else use them either.

They are literally just a point and click adventure game with 2 buttons. One for scan and one for un-scan.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SerthVarnee posted:

They are literally just a point and click adventure game with 2 buttons. One for scan and one for un-scan.

Is it a Sierra point and click or Lucas art? What am asking is if I accidentally gently caress up will I not realize I did till the very end then start again, or you know just die horribly and seemingly randomly, or is it more forgiving?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
They have a special shed for people who gently caress this up and for picking up online ordered groceries.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SerthVarnee posted:

They have a special shed for people who gently caress this up and for picking up online ordered groceries.

Oh you never want to go into a special shed in a point and click adventure! One hundred percent that's a poorly sampled scream and a text box describing your exact kind of grizzly death.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Oh you never want to go into a special shed in a point and click adventure! One hundred percent that's a poorly sampled scream and a text box describing your exact kind of grizzly death.

Grizzly? I thought it was a grue. This is deeply disturbing.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Blut posted:

Even if it saves only an hour of your time (and its probably more between travel time and shopping for most people, and any potential travel costs like petrol or bus fares on top to count too) surely your hourly worth of an hour is a large multiple of a fiver.

Not when I get sent out of date or near out of date stuff and alternatives. I can go do a shop in far less than an hour and I can get it now, not in 2/3 days time when a slot is free.

Plus I enjoy browsing and stumbling across a deal.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Blut posted:

Some people enjoy shopping at the grocery store.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I use self checkouts because often they are open and clear at the time I am shopping and the clerks are filled up. My spouse and I enjoy soda, we buy two liters (frankly a lot of two liters.) if They don't let me just scan my 8 two liter bottles in my cart and go about my day, and want to weight check that poo poo, I happily comply and slam the two liters down on those lovely little scales don't don't actually do much to solve anything but annoy people.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Blut posted:

I'm shocked so many people in the tech thread are actually still grocery shopping in person, self checkouts or not. As of mid 2022 about 60% of people in the UK buy at least some of their groceries online, 16% all of their groceries online. And those figures are going up consistently year to year.

It takes all of 2 minutes to re-add all the usuals from a week ago once a week, and it gets delivered right to your door at a time that suits you. I couldn't imagine going back to having to travel to a grocery store, wander around it, bring all the bags back etc. Its hours a week saved.

My weekly shopping trip is one of the few quiet times I get out of the house without my kids and its not related to work. Don't take that from me.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

We evolved as hunter-gatherers and browsing the supermarket is the closest we get on any given week

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Some people enjoy shopping at the grocery store.

Perverts.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When I go to home depot or target my 3 year old thinks it's the best thing ever to use the scanning gun, and somehow he's never double scanned. I'm always amazed at how well barcodes scan.

Also twice this week I forgot to take physical money to Home Depot and had to walk out leaving my items behind. Hate not having wireless payments everywhere.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Blut posted:

I ain't buying fruit or veg I haven't personally inspected.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Blut posted:

I live about a five minute walk from a Safeway, and I pass it on the way to/from transit that I use every work day. There is absolutely no reason for me to get groceries delivered unless it's something that has to come from another store. Waste of money, and I get exactly what I want.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:sickos:
We’re now finding out the damaging results of the mandated return to the office–and it’s worse than we thought

quote:

We’re now finding out the damaging consequences of the mandated return to office. And it’s not a pretty picture. A trio of compelling reports—the Greenhouse Candidate Experience report, the Federal Reserve’s Survey of Household Economics and Decisionmaking (SHED), and Unispace’s Returning for Good report—collectively paint a stark picture of this brewing storm.

Unispace found that nearly half (42%) of companies with return-to-office mandates witnessed a higher level of employee attrition than they had anticipated. And almost a third (29%) of companies enforcing office returns are struggling with recruitment. In other words, employers knew the mandates would cause some attrition, but they weren’t ready for the serious problems that would result.

Meanwhile, a staggering 76% of employees stand ready to jump ship if their companies decide to pull the plug on flexible work schedules, according to the Greenhouse report. Moreover, employees from historically underrepresented groups are 22% more likely to consider other options if flexibility comes to an end.

In the SHED survey, the gravity of this situation becomes more evident. The survey equates the displeasure of shifting from a flexible work model to a traditional one to that of experiencing a 2% to 3% pay cut.
Wow, this sure seems like out of character for Fortune, one of those interchangeable glossy business journals for techbros. Did they really publish a story respecting workers and making managers look bad?

quote:

Inside an employee’s head

As we navigate these shifting landscapes of work, we cannot ignore the human elements at play. Like unseen puppeteers, cognitive biases subtly shape our decisions and perceptions. In the context of flexibility and retention, two cognitive biases come into sharp focus: the status quo bias and anchoring bias.

Imagine a thriving tech startup, successfully operating in a hybrid model during the pandemic. As the world normalized, leadership decided to return to pre-pandemic, in-person work arrangements. However, they faced resistance and an unexpected swell of turnover.

This situation illustrates the potent influence of the status quo bias. This bias, deeply entrenched in our human psyche, inclines us toward maintaining current states or resisting change. Employees, having tasted the fruits of flexible work, felt averse to relinquishing these newfound freedoms.

Consider a large financial institution that enforced a full return to office after the pandemic. Many employees, initially attracted by the brand and pay scale, felt disgruntled. The crux of the problem lies in the anchoring bias, which leads us to heavily rely on the first piece of information offered (the anchor) when making decisions.

When initially joining the company, the employees were primarily concerned with compensation and job security. Once within the fold, the pandemic caused them to shift their focus to work-life balance and flexibility, as confirmed by both the Greenhouse and SHED reports. Unfortunately, the rigid return-to-office policy made these new anchors seem less attainable, resulting in dissatisfaction and an increased propensity to leave.

As we steer our ships through these tumultuous waters, understanding cognitive biases can help illuminate our path. Recognizing and accounting for the status quo and anchoring biases can enable us to create a workplace that not only attracts but also retains its employees in the new age of flexibility. After all, success in the world of business is as much about understanding people as it is about numbers and strategy.
:oh:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
tech nightmares: for employees have tasted the forbidden fruit of flexible work

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:sickos:
We’re now finding out the damaging results of the mandated return to the office–and it’s worse than we thought

Wow, this sure seems like out of character for Fortune, one of those interchangeable glossy business journals for techbros. Did they really publish a story respecting workers and making managers look bad?

:oh:
"30% of companies are having trouble filling positions" is not exactly surprising considering unemployment is under 4%. I'd be interested to see a more detailed look into how remote work specifically is impacting that number.

quote:

The survey equates the displeasure of shifting from a flexible work model to a traditional one to that of experiencing a 2% to 3% pay cut.
This is surprising, because I know I personally would consider my remote work option to be worth a hell of a lot more than 2-3% of my paycheck.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah my commute costs alone would easily be double that, before we even get into talking about the value of your time and the better work environment of a private office, and being able to stay in your local area to get lunch.

The companies that are convinced that enforced office attendance is the way to go should have their employees commute during their working day and cover the costs of doing so, if there are such huge productivity gains to be had in staff all sitting in the same room then surely it's worth those costs?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Baronash posted:

This is surprising, because I know I personally would consider my remote work option to be worth a hell of a lot more than 2-3% of my paycheck.

Here's how I'm interpreting this: whoever invited the study really wanted to show that workers like being back in the office, actually. So them getting a response of 2-3% paycheck equivalence to me means that it's probably would be more like 20-30% if they didn't have those priors.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

StratGoatCom posted:

I ain't buying fruit or veg I haven't personally inspected.

This, also I talk to the owner of the fruit and vegetable shop same she tells me what's coming into season, what's particularly good, and which prices are changing etc.
I enjoy cooking and don't eat much packaged food so picking my own fruit or veg is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

The companies that are convinced that enforced office attendance is the way to go should have their employees commute during their working day
Mine is, they just don't know it