Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MD2020 posted:

Which means that his team has a -16 goal differential. Indicating some really horrible teammates and/or coaching.

Rowling openly hates sports and wrote a nonsensical one on purpose, though it is at least implied that he was basically carrying his team who got completely steamrolled by competent opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Lammasu posted:

Why does Bitcoin get a pass?
Instead of rewriting a whole bunch of stuff I'm gonna steal a post from the yospos version of this thread:

Mr. Nice! posted:

bitcoin is a commodity not a security. it doesn't come close to passing the howey test.

the howey test has four parts: 1: investment of money 2: in a common enterprise 3: with the expectation of profit 4: to be derived from the effort of others.

a commodity, on the other hand, is usually a tangible asset that can be held for use in production or as a store of value. gold bullion, yellow corn, and west texas intermediate crude are all examples of tangible commodities. bitcoin is much more like these types of assets versus a security.

basically everything etherium related, on the other hand, is a security. anything staked, for example, is instantly a security just based upon how it operates.
To add, bitcoin doesn't have to be a commodity, it just has to be itself, that is it represents nothing but a single bitcoin. I can buy and sell actual Monopoly™ money all day long, and since they don't represent anything except the slips of paper that has MONOPOLY printed on them in various denominations, it's not a security. It's a game token, it's a collectible, it's whatever, it's irrelevant to the SEC's jurisdiction. That's essentially bitcoin.

Other tokens? They've been failing the Howey test since forever. A typical coin is ShitcoinX a project that will revolutionize fart huffing, you'll buy it because people will need ShitcoinX for various reasons and then up Up UP!!!1 That classically fails all four elements of the Howey test: you buy it because it's an investment of money, the ShitcoinX comprises some sort of coherent "enterprise," it's for a profit, and it's predicated the ShitcoinX devs will do work and you'll gain profit when people transact in the shitcoin.

But bitcoin issued a white paper, someone implemented a toy protocol, people traded it around literally like Monopoly money to show it can transact value if you believe real hard (which to be fair is the basis of all transactional economics!) Satoshi didn't promise you would become wealthy if you buy butts and in fact said the direct opposite, but people brought and sold because people were also buying and selling them. Even bitcoin maximalists implicitly say it's not a functional economy because there's no "enterprise" that purports to drive its value, it's all speculative gambling.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Wrap it up shills, BBBY lives!

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/

...as a rebranding of Overstock.com...

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/01/bed-bath-beyond-relaunches-as-online-only-retailer.html

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
look can i still buy the stock or not

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

kw0134 posted:

But bitcoin issued a white paper, someone implemented a toy protocol, people traded it around literally like Monopoly money to show it can transact value if you believe real hard (which to be fair is the basis of all transactional economics!) Satoshi didn't promise you would become wealthy if you buy butts and in fact said the direct opposite, but people brought and sold because people were also buying and selling them. Even bitcoin maximalists implicitly say it's not a functional economy because there's no "enterprise" that purports to drive its value, it's all speculative gambling.

I feel like the bolded part is a bit irrelevant considering that's what others are promising. If I pick up your shipment of pogs that you're selling for fun, and sell them to others claiming they're going to go TO THE MOON, then it feels like that should matter more than your original statement about them.

Going "but Satoshi said its not worth anything!" feels like giving Bitcoin a pass that it doesn't deserve.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like the bolded part is a bit irrelevant considering that's what others are promising. If I pick up your shipment of pogs that you're selling for fun, and sell them to others claiming they're going to go TO THE MOON, then it feels like that should matter more than your original statement about them.

Going "but Satoshi said its not worth anything!" feels like giving Bitcoin a pass that it doesn't deserve.

Sure but by your definition literal POGs are a security (as are beanie babies and magic cards and QVC commemorative plates etc) because some looser thinks they’re a collectible and therefore sure fire investment.

Stated intent matters for the SEC. Ty, Inc never got raided for illegal commodities trading because they were selling stuffed toy bears and dolphins and poo poo for the express purpose being toys, what the secondary market did was on collectors. If Smoochy The Frog was sold as a representation of ownership in a business venture that you could use to collect profits from it would have been another story.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

If you apply that logic, then graded comic books are also securities.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh, I was unclear, I meant less in the sense of "this should still make it a security" and more in the sense of "whatever Satoshi's intent, Bitcoin still loving sucks." It felt like it was excusing away Bitcoin as an innocent experiment(when Satoshi was absolutely also one of the Libertarian fringe brigade) that had somehow gotten perverted.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sadly “this loving sucks” isn’t one of the criteria for the SEC coming down on your head like a ton of bricks.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

kw0134 posted:

Instead of rewriting a whole bunch of stuff I'm gonna steal a post from the yospos version of this thread:

To add, bitcoin doesn't have to be a commodity, it just has to be itself, that is it represents nothing but a single bitcoin. I can buy and sell actual Monopoly™ money all day long, and since they don't represent anything except the slips of paper that has MONOPOLY printed on them in various denominations, it's not a security. It's a game token, it's a collectible, it's whatever, it's irrelevant to the SEC's jurisdiction. That's essentially bitcoin.

Other tokens? They've been failing the Howey test since forever. A typical coin is ShitcoinX a project that will revolutionize fart huffing, you'll buy it because people will need ShitcoinX for various reasons and then up Up UP!!!1 That classically fails all four elements of the Howey test: you buy it because it's an investment of money, the ShitcoinX comprises some sort of coherent "enterprise," it's for a profit, and it's predicated the ShitcoinX devs will do work and you'll gain profit when people transact in the shitcoin.

the actual reason is because important people with real wealth and power have stakes in buttcoin not just crypto morons

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You don't need to get into wealth illuminati poo poo to see how bitcoin fails the checks we use to see what makes things securities.

Nov 6, 2002

It doesn't require believing in illuminati conspiracies to understand that the wealthy people of this country wield incredible influence.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It doesn't require believing in illuminati conspiracies to understand that the wealthy people of this country wield incredible influence.

If it was just down to this they’d also be leaving Eth alone. Frankly more wealthy people probably have money tied up in that because of all the ways it’s used as the medium for bilking rubes via ape pics etc.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

The Illuminati were a secret group that discussed science and nature. They had to do so in secret because they'd be murdered. They were a thing for like a few decades and then dissolved. But their legacy endures!

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/shortdestroyer/status/1685680150115926016

I put my life savings into a meme stock because of a moon emoji!

Plan R posted:

The Illuminati were a secret group that discussed science and nature. They had to do so in secret because they'd be murdered. They were a thing for like a few decades and then dissolved. But their legacy endures!

that's what they want you to think

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Like you don't need to go all conspiracy on this, while crypto was hot the SEC was reluctant to touch it in general despite being clearly securities that it was empowered to regulate, but there was a party and people were "making" money. Because number go up "innovation" must not be stifled. Then the bubble burst and all the obvious signs means that oh yeah that's why the SEC exists but there was enough regulatory capture that every one there was afraid of ending the party even though it was that's precisely the point.

Cyrano4747 posted:

If it was just down to this they’d also be leaving Eth alone. Frankly more wealthy people probably have money tied up in that because of all the ways it’s used as the medium for bilking rubes via ape pics etc.
Eth is a riskier regulatory ask too. The SEC is going all in on making a lot of crypto go away in the US.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

novamute posted:

You don't generally pick the words yourself. There is a set list of valid words so you can't really just use a random sentence.

That wordlist isn't used for generating Ethereum wallets. That's a wordlist that Bitcoin clients can use to generate verification phrases for a wallet's public address. The idea is that when you're talking with someone about to send you fake money to make sure they're about to send to the right place, instead of trying to confirm a dense string of 64 arbitrary characters, it's easier to confirm a set of readable words generated as a sort of hash from the address. Those passphrases also don't encode anything about the wallet's private key.

When it comes to generating a wallet (both the public and private keys) from a passphrase, you can indeed use any random text of any length that you want; and when the concept of deriving your wallet's keypair from arbitrary text first arose as an idea back in the early days of Bitcoin (the crypto-speak for the idea is "brain wallets"), there was quite a rash of coins getting stolen from wallets whose keypairs were generated from easy-to-guess text -- or by people who used online tools to turn their arbitrary text into a wallet keypair, and those tools logged the keys generated to later steal from the wallets. This is just that exact same concept, a decade later, and for Ethereum instead of Bitcoin.

Here's a site that keeps tabs on brain wallets for various cryptocurrencies that have weak passphrases.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 1, 2023

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

https://twitter.com/shortdestroyer/status/1685680150115926016

I put my life savings into a meme stock because of a moon emoji!

that's what they want you to think

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I really want to see a big meltdown around BBBYQ but I think I’ll be blue balled. The people still holding at this point will probably be still “holding” their cancelled shares years from now and posting about how Cohen is about to bail them out.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Most people will slink away in shame. The interesting stat will be how many accounts simply stop posting altogether as reality sets in.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

biznatchio posted:

That wordlist isn't used for generating Ethereum wallets. That's a wordlist that Bitcoin clients can use to generate verification phrases for a wallet's public address. The idea is that when you're talking with someone about to send you fake money to make sure they're about to send to the right place, instead of trying to confirm a dense string of 64 arbitrary characters, it's easier to confirm a set of readable words generated as a sort of hash from the address. Those passphrases also don't encode anything about the wallet's private key.

When it comes to generating a wallet (both the public and private keys) from a passphrase, you can indeed use any random text of any length that you want; and when the concept of deriving your wallet's keypair from arbitrary text first arose as an idea back in the early days of Bitcoin (the crypto-speak for the idea is "brain wallets"), there was quite a rash of coins getting stolen from wallets whose keypairs were generated from easy-to-guess text -- or by people who used online tools to turn their arbitrary text into a wallet keypair, and those tools logged the keys generated to later steal from the wallets. This is just that exact same concept, a decade later, and for Ethereum instead of Bitcoin.

Here's a site that keeps tabs on brain wallets for various cryptocurrencies that have weak passphrases.

Yes, non BIP39 brain wallets are absolutely a thing although as far as I know the majority of wallet software has standardized on BIP32/39/44.

No, BIP39 is not Bitcoin specific despite what the B stands for and isn't used for verification phrases but is for generating the private key itself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kw0134 posted:

Most people will slink away in shame. The interesting stat will be how many accounts simply stop posting altogether as reality sets in.

This is it, yeah. You don't get spectacular climactic meltdowns like on here.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

ryde posted:

I really want to see a big meltdown around BBBYQ but I think I’ll be blue balled. The people still holding at this point will probably be still “holding” their cancelled shares years from now and posting about how Cohen is about to bail them out.

The shares still mean nothing right? The relaunch by Overstock has nothing to do with the company they hold stock in.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
bye bye, baby

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also - and this is critical - people can’t really fly.

Watching people play quidditch at university was the most :psyduck: thing. Like absolutely get outside and have fun and get a workout but gently caress, just play ultimate or something.

Jugger

Nov 6, 2002

BigRed0427 posted:

The shares still mean nothing right? The relaunch by Overstock has nothing to do with the company they hold stock in.

Their shares are virtually worthless right now. The company has no stores, no inventory, no employees and massive debt. The only thing that's keeping them from going to zero is a circus of morons continuing to trade them. At some point in September the stock will be made void when the bankruptcy process is complete.

Bullish!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, once the shares are declared void, someone is gonna make a blockchain for a way for people to still trade shares of BBBY.

Edit: I wonder if there are people out there who collect the physcial stocks for long dead companies.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 1, 2023

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Literally 90% of BBBYQ is held by retail traders.
And a surprising amount of Germans? I don't know why but Germans are way overrepresented, even compared to other western European countries. I'm open to theories.

The "thesis" is "Ryan Cohen is going to give us billions of dollars to reward us for holding and start the MOASS (mother of all short squeezes)."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Retail investing is an incredible business for those who run retail investing and using it for manipulation.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
There are meltdowns but they get buried and deleted fast by the true believers and moderators.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

coolusername posted:

There are meltdowns but they get buried and deleted fast by the true believers and moderators.

We just need someone to create a new coin from nothing, goto the company and buy it off them with this nothing, split this nothing up between the creditors and the owners,
and I'm sure everyone will now use this nothing to make our shares go to the moon!
But the ones who know about money won't do this, as they are fuddie duddies!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lammasu posted:

If the spirit realm has Bed Bath and Beyond stores it must be a lot shittier than I thoughts.

I have seen this anime

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

brb going to Square Enix to offer to buy out the rights to Terranigma with a couple million freshly minted Blazercoin. Gamers love this classic. The price can only go up!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

happyhippy posted:

We just need someone to create a new coin from nothing, goto the company and buy it off them with this nothing, split this nothing up between the creditors and the owners,
and I'm sure everyone will now use this nothing to make our shares go to the moon!
But the ones who know about money won't do this, as they are fuddie duddies!

Consider, though: they'd be giving that nothing, which they themselves will assign value to, to the management and creditors of a company that has nothing. They would literally be paying something (at least from a strictly marginalist point of view) for a company that has no stores, no inventory, no employees, and not even a name. Would that something be worth much? No. But it would be worth more than negative billion dollars, which is what ex-BBBY has.

The reason why there's no way the other side would accept this deal is (aside from the fact that yeah it probably wouldn't be worth it) that they would probably prefer not to get litigated for trading on an IP that is not theirs anymore.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It would be interesting to make a list of accounts posting in r/BBBY and then graph their posting frequency to see how many are slinking away.

Orio
May 16, 2022
Popped into the BBBY bankruptcy hearing. One of the main comments of the judge was that the bankruptcy plan should be even more explicit that shareholders get nothing lol

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You would think that is plainly obvious based on what knowledge an investor is expected to possess but here we are.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Orio posted:

Popped into the BBBY bankruptcy hearing. One of the main comments of the judge was that the bankruptcy plan should be even more explicit that shareholders get nothing lol

Judge is obv a shill spreading FUD...

Feeling bullish

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

SettingSun posted:

brb going to Square Enix to offer to buy out the rights to Terranigma with a couple million freshly minted Blazercoin. Gamers love this classic. The price can only go up!

I think you only develop civilization in North America, Europe, and East Asia (Maybe Australia) so you might be onto something here. Get that anti-woke / Florida coin going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002