Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

brugroffil posted:

My 4yo has begun contemplating his own death

That can get weird. Mine started at 3 bc of very religious grandparents talking to him about heaven and hell every night when they had him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i was really into skeletons when i was like 4 and apparently (i dont remember this) i would ask my grandparents if i coudl have their bones when they died lol

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My kids euphemism for death was "turning into skeleton bones" lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

a related game he likes to play is to make me and my wife pretend to be sleeping so he can wake us up with loud mowing or leaf blowing. glad hes having fun.

lol

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

i was really into skeletons when i was like 4 and apparently (i dont remember this) i would ask my grandparents if i coudl have their bones when they died lol

I was wearing a shirt yesterday with a smoking skull and my seven year old said "I guess it's okay for skeletons to smoke because they don't have brains" which was a good opportunity for me to remind them it's worse for your lungs than brain (to which they replied that it's still fine because skeletons don't have lungs either)

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I was wearing a shirt yesterday with a smoking skull and my seven year old said "I guess it's okay for skeletons to smoke because they don't have brains" which was a good opportunity for me to remind them it's worse for your lungs than brain (to which they replied that it's still fine because skeletons don't have lungs either)

lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

your seven year old sounds smart

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My older kid watched a single video on the negative physiological impacts of alcohol and every time after I had a beer I got a lecture on what was happening to my brain and liver. I'm aware give me a break

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Nocturtle posted:

My older kid watched a single video on the negative physiological impacts of alcohol and every time after I had a beer I got a lecture on what was happening to my brain and liver. I'm aware give me a break

my kid told someone on their smoke break that smoking is bad and will kill you. I apologized and told my kid to keep that to herself and she replied”she has to know!” and I replied, she already does.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kid found out that soda is bad for you and I had to explain that La Croix is like the ghost of a soda that has been dead for a thousand years.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm slightly indoctrinating my kids to hate cars, and I'm kinda dreading when he begins lecturing people about how cars kill the planet and stuff. I mean, he's right, but people love their cars.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

AxGrap posted:

My kids euphemism for death was "turning into skeleton bones" lol

lol

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my kid found out that soda is bad for you and I had to explain that La Croix is like the ghost of a soda that has been dead for a thousand years.

lol

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

BonHair posted:

I'm slightly indoctrinating my kids to hate cars, and I'm kinda dreading when he begins lecturing people about how cars kill the planet and stuff. I mean, he's right, but people love their cars.

I sometimes have a difficult time explaining how things should be versus how we live our lives in that I don't want my kid to think I'm a hypocrite. It definitely forces me to examine what is unavoidably morally grey and what is simply a convenience.

Fortunately there are easy-to-digest infographics available:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nocturtle posted:

When he was ~8, my little brother started screaming in the store that "MY MOM DOES DRUGS YOU'RE BUYING DRUGS!!!" because she was buying some beer. Thanks, DARE.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

I told my kids about the Sonic Hedgehog protein this weekend and they immediately called me a liar. I said, why would I ever lie about something so funny? and they both said I lie all the time about funny things, that's what dads find funny

:smith:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

fosborb posted:

I told my kids about the Sonic Hedgehog protein this weekend and they immediately called me a liar. I said, why would I ever lie about something so funny? and they both said I lie all the time about funny things, that's what dads find funny

Sorry, that owns and you're a good dad.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

fosborb posted:

:unsmith:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
it was really quite funny and my wife laughed a very long time at my obvious disappointment. shouldn't have used the smith tag

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Kids say the funniest things about how they view you. I told my daughter I was thinking about shaving and she strongly objected. I asked why and she said that there are different types of dads and I'm a "funny, nice, bearded type dad."

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

on sunday i randomly told my son i was dressed like a slob (and i was - a-shirt and mesh basketball shorts lol) and he said "no daddy, you arent a slob, i dn't like slobs they're stinky." thanks sonny :kimchi:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

brugroffil posted:

My 4yo has begun contemplating his own death

childhood existentialism ftw

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Had the kid home with me while I work for a week and a half bc our plans for sending him to grandparents fell through due to medical issues, and he was having a really hard time going to the Y day camps and was working himself up into thinking he's going to puke so I had to pull him mid last week.

There was an all hands meeting I wanted to make sure to go to to show my face bc I'm sure my work has been suffering and he worked himself into being sick about going to my brother's for 2 hours. We're biting the bullet to try get children's therapy to work through some of this. Some kinda doom anxiety about us leaving him alone, but it never happened before last week. Been hard!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
An opening came up in a very similar, slightly better home-based daycare and now we are in the process of radically overthinking the potential consequences of changing. (I'm expecting to have to eat a chunk of cash since her guide thing says she wants THREE months notice.)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've been having difficulty getting my younger son to commit to riding his bike beyond just proving to me that he can do it (it'd be nice if he could ride to school with his brother) and it turns out the solution was to just enroll him in PedalHeadz and just force him to ride in a parking lot for three hours a day for a week straight.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My 3yo unscrewed a door stop and used it to stab his sister's foam frog full of holes.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 3yo unscrewed a door stop and used it to stab his sister's foam frog full of holes.

lol kids ftw

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

An opening came up in a very similar, slightly better home-based daycare and now we are in the process of radically overthinking the potential consequences of changing. (I'm expecting to have to eat a chunk of cash since her guide thing says she wants THREE months notice.)

Oooph that adds up.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

Good shiv work

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

9 month old baby decided pretty suddenly that he's too big for milk or something. We don't really agree with him, but it's hard to force. I think it's because he's just super into real food, but milk would probably be a good idea still...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BonHair posted:

9 month old baby decided pretty suddenly that he's too big for milk or something. We don't really agree with him, but it's hard to force. I think it's because he's just super into real food, but milk would probably be a good idea still...

The lactation people are telling us you shouldn't feed the baby anything but boob for a year

And also stressed that the best food is whatever your baby eats. What does your pediatrician think?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BonHair posted:

6 months is typical for starting food so you good on timing but yeah keep trying with the milk since it still should be most of their calories

babies/toddlers/kids are weird though and won't like something for a few days or a week but then want all of it once they're over it

if it's boob juice off the tap, try bottles? Peanut butter if you haven't already introduced that too assuming no one's allergic around you.

the only baby feeding guideline you need to worry about : are they gaining weight and showing no signs of malnutrition?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Mustached Demon posted:

the only baby feeding guideline you need to worry about : are they gaining weight and showing no signs of malnutrition?

This is the way

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

We were learning about cassowaries and I happened to mention they could be dangerous. My younger kid denied this and insisted that they were nice. As evidence they drew a picture of an adult and baby cassowary labelled "NICE".

Please help spread the word, it turns out cassowaries are nice.

The Silent Scourge
Aug 24, 2006
I Have Asthma

BonHair posted:

If you're like us and have a bunch of milk stockpiled that you don't want to go bad you can mix it in with oatmeal. That worked well for #1 and is currently my plan for #2 when she is old enough, which means of course it won't work.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

The lactation people are telling us you shouldn't feed the baby anything but boob for a year

And also stressed that the best food is whatever your baby eats. What does your pediatrician think?

baby-led weaning is ftw because you just start giving them normal food at six months and let them figure it out (and skip the puree bullshit)

giving your baby a literal piece of pizza to gnaw on is awesome for everyone

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, this guy knows about food. He's not gonna be malnutritioned, at all. He's into everything but tomatoes, milk and the meal being over. Like a month ago we gave him daal with full spices and a bit of chilli, mostly as a test. Turns out it was his favourite thing ever. He's gonna be fine, it's just weird to us really.
The cause is probably the boob lady going back to work, leaving only the bread guy for most of the day. We talked to a family friend who's a children's nurse (sundhedsplejerske) and she says it's fine and normal at this point.

Also he literally had pizza yesterday, it owns. And unlike his brother, he's also really good at drinking, so that's nice.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BonHair posted:

And unlike his brother, he's also really good at drinking, so that's nice.

Same, kiddo, same

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Fed is best, and don't fall into the trap of feeling pressured or shamed if breastfeeding isn't viable. My wife had to bail on it after a couple of months due to issues with latching and production. We also were seen by 3 different lactation consultants while we were still in recovery, and they all gave wildly different advice, which was I think a big part of the latching problem. Long story short, our 3 y/o is healthy, happy, and smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

shyduck posted:

Fed is best, and don't fall into the trap of feeling pressured or shamed if breastfeeding isn't viable. My wife had to bail on it after a couple of months due to issues with latching and production. We also were seen by 3 different lactation consultants while we were still in recovery, and they all gave wildly different advice, which was I think a big part of the latching problem. Long story short, our 3 y/o is healthy, happy, and smart.

Our first we had to bail on breastfeeding after a couple weeks. The second was breast with supplement for a year. The third was all breast. Every kid is different.