Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I built one of the old HG kits (08/2000) so here's a blast from the past for some of you.

The build itself was pretty comfortable though I have to say that the kit also isn't complex overall. I will eventually paint this so I left the face portion bare. The black sticker for that also looks like a huge pain so you're probably better off using a marker even if you don't paint the whole kit.

Range of motion on the kit is kinda basic. The legs aren't very poseable but you can do a lot with the arms and hands. There's a tiny bit of motion in the waist and head too but the arms and hands are the stars of the show. I especially like the flexibility of the claws considering how old the kit is.

Question: Is he thick or does he wear a diaper? :v:

As said the build was comfortable but I did spend a lot of time fixing seams and gaps. Like a lot since the putty didn't want to settle into some of the seams so I had to fill & sand those spots multiple times. Maybe due to the old plastic? No idea tbh. I fixed the front and back of the shins and feet, top and bottom of the hands, sides of the groin, the waist, the upper body and the small spots between the shoulders and head. So yeah kind of a lot. The only spots I ignored are on the knuckles and inside of the groin part. The legs mostly cover the inside of the groin so whatever. The knuckles will be covered for most of the time too but they also are way too small of an area for me to fix without going insane.

I do want to highlight the feet though since filling and sanding the seam there leads to destroying some of the detail lines. So I did my first stab at scribing to recover those.

Worked well enough on the backside but these are straight lines so it's easy mode. Left part is finished and right part is only filled & sanded just to be clear.

The front was more difficult since there are curves in the lines. You can see that I slipped and scratched the surface between the lines a few times. Had to carefully sand that again so that it will not show through primer and paint. Overall I'm happy with the result but for future use I probably need to suck it up and invest in somewhat more expensive tools. I did this with a hooked blade from U-Star and while the blade is good the wooden handle it comes with sucks all the rear end. Welp learning by doing.

Hey, Gundam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I finally got my space set back up and did some painting, and Deathscythe is ready to roll!

The blue is a "chameleon" mica powder. It came out a lot more bass boat than I intended, but it's definitely up my alley as far as paint goes!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ooh I like that blue. Looks like scarab shells.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Qylvaran posted:

Anyone else have gunpla action scenes going on on their furniture?

mine's on top of my detolf and i think i've posted it here before but the bits/funnels in mid deployment is my proudest posing accomplishment. you can't really see the nu's but i have them sort of falling away from the backpack in what i think is a pretty cool sort of suggestion of motion where you can imagine where they'd end up and boost out from there

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SnakesRevenge posted:

I finally got my space set back up and did some painting, and Deathscythe is ready to roll!

The blue is a "chameleon" mica powder. It came out a lot more bass boat than I intended, but it's definitely up my alley as far as paint goes!

That looks so good! :magical:

I like the flat tones on the legs, it really off-sets the shiny blue and bronze armor parts well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tin Tim posted:

I built one of the old HG kits (08/2000) so here's a blast from the past for some of you.

The build itself was pretty comfortable though I have to say that the kit also isn't complex overall. I will eventually paint this so I left the face portion bare. The black sticker for that also looks like a huge pain so you're probably better off using a marker even if you don't paint the whole kit.

Range of motion on the kit is kinda basic. The legs aren't very poseable but you can do a lot with the arms and hands. There's a tiny bit of motion in the waist and head too but the arms and hands are the stars of the show. I especially like the flexibility of the claws considering how old the kit is.

As said the build was comfortable but I did spend a lot of time fixing seams and gaps. Like a lot since the putty didn't want to settle into some of the seams so I had to fill & sand those spots multiple times. Maybe due to the old plastic? No idea tbh. I fixed the front and back of the shins and feet, top and bottom of the hands, sides of the groin, the waist, the upper body and the small spots between the shoulders and head. So yeah kind of a lot. The only spots I ignored are on the knuckles and inside of the groin part. The legs mostly cover the inside of the groin so whatever. The knuckles will be covered for most of the time too but they also are way too small of an area for me to fix without going insane.

I do want to highlight the feet though since filling and sanding the seam there leads to destroying some of the detail lines. So I did my first stab at scribing to recover those.

Worked well enough on the backside but these are straight lines so it's easy mode. Left part is finished and right part is only filled & sanded just to be clear.

The front was more difficult since there are curves in the lines. You can see that I slipped and scratched the surface between the lines a few times. Had to carefully sand that again so that it will not show through primer and paint. Overall I'm happy with the result but for future use I probably need to suck it up and invest in somewhat more expensive tools. I did this with a hooked blade from U-Star and while the blade is good the wooden handle it comes with sucks all the rear end. Welp learning by doing.

Hey, Gundam:

I appreciate this.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Any tips on how to make sure my housekeeper doesn't mess with my projects?

Most of the time I have none ongoing when they visit, but I have tools around. They pack them neatly into a pouch I have a nearby. Now I have multiple projects lying around, which I hope they don't mess with while they clean the house.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Leave a note on your work area?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Asteroid Alert posted:

Most of the time I have none ongoing when they visit, but I have tools around. They pack them neatly into a pouch I have a nearby. Now I have multiple projects lying around, which I hope they don't mess with while they clean the house.

Talk to them and ask them not to touch your model kits in progress?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Asteroid Alert posted:

:psyduck: talk to them? Or just pack up before they arrive.

Im not sure what we could suggest that you haven't already considered yourself.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Have Enrique talk to them about it

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Post your largest and most imposing kit (hopefully the Neo Zeong) as a guard.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

SnakesRevenge posted:

Very cool effect! Reminds me of the paint for bumpercars or other fair rides I went on as a kid. Could you elaborate on how exactly you did it? A quick search only showed me mica powders as an additive for resin.

Kibner posted:

I appreciate this.
:cheers:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Does anyone make decals of various pride flags that are about the right size for a HG gunpla’s arm or shoulder?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Very cool effect! Reminds me of the paint for bumpercars or other fair rides I went on as a kid. Could you elaborate on how exactly you did it? A quick search only showed me mica powders as an additive for resin.

:cheers:

That's the stuff, basically super fine glitter. I mix 1:1 Testor's Glosscote and Mr Color leveling thinner and then add a tiny scoop of the stuff to make a metallic paint, and then spray it over a black base.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gf found an Iwata compressor that someone had just tossed out in the roadside trash. She gave it to me because she didnt have time to try fix it, turns out there was just spilt paint gumming up the power switch and it works perfectly fine! I finally tried it out with an airbrush that I was previously running on a cheap ebay portable compressor tonight and blew the entire paint pot out the nozzle in 5 seconds so I could probably turn the pressure down a little. :v

works well tho.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is backlaugust running this year?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

new month new discretionary budget. preordered the kampfer schwer just under the wire and also got the polypodball because I like the cut of its jib. I'll probably preorder a scope dog too

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

wdarkk posted:

Is backlaugust running this year?

I'm taking pictures like we are - already finished HG Blue Destiny 2 since midnight eastern last night. That said, I don't really need prizes as much as I could use the external motivation to burn through the pile, sounded fun but I missed it the last couple times.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

I cut up my Aerial before the month changed over but I'll snap pics as well, good excuse to get a few kits out of the backlog

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I kept accumulating kits in May and June despite feeling too sick to build anything. Because of that, I have a backlog greater than 3 for the first time and have been holding off in anticipation of Backlogust. I'm doing it, damnit! I'll be disappointed if nobody else plays along but I'm doing it!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I will finish that MG Wing or at least the random lot of HG's I bought when *checks notes* the Pandemic started. :stare:

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Diet Poison posted:

I kept accumulating kits in May and June despite feeling too sick to build anything. Because of that, I have a backlog greater than 3 for the first time and have been holding off in anticipation of Backlogust. I'm doing it, damnit! I'll be disappointed if nobody else plays along but I'm doing it!

I'm doing it even if there's not a competition going or whatever. Got a backlog that needs building

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't have much of a backlog but these fuckers have been sitting on my shelf in this state for longer than I care to admit. I shall finish both of them this month

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I'll be treating it like it's happening, I've got a couple MG and RG kits I need to do

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Built a Demi-Barding. As MS go, it's "had lots of hype, didn't do much", (It's greatest moment of glory was...flying in a straight line?) but it looks cool and that's the important part.

Build-wise, I was surprised how much of it is the old Demi-trainer with new clothes. Or how small it really is when you take off the backpack. It's head is actually smaller than the Demi-trainer's. Unfortunately, that part is also my biggest criticism with the design. Not the kit, the design.

You see, the head has a sensor strip that goes around the entire head, giving the DB a full 360 degrees field of view. That's good. But then the torso gets raised on either side of the head in a 'collar', completely blocking said sensor strip. Less good.
And worse, the head has these two chin-bits, that collide with the collar when you try to turn the head, so it's pretty much forced to stare straight ahead or maybe off to a side by a few degrees. Definitely not good. Not since the Leo have I seen a mobile suit whose neck is so impaired.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I ordered some kits from BBTS for the first time, expecting them to take several weeks or more to arrive based on reddit reviews. So when they showed up in four days I was simultaneously :stwoon: and :ohdear: For context, I just moved in with my SO and it might take a few months before we can make enough room in the house for a crafting corner for me. The flat look they gave me when the box showed up....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Space Opera posted:

I ordered some kits from BBTS for the first time, expecting them to take several weeks or more to arrive based on reddit reviews. So when they showed up in four days I was simultaneously :stwoon: and :ohdear: For context, I just moved in with my SO and it might take a few months before we can make enough room in the house for a crafting corner for me. The flat look they gave me when the box showed up....

You can't say that and not share the kits you got. :colbert:

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't say that and not share the kits you got. :colbert:

Magic Knight Moderoids of Ceres, Windom, and Rune God Rayearth, and their associated extra effects parts, plus a backorder/pre-order? Of the Eva Unit 01 transport. I intended to get all of these a long time ago but life happened, and the next thing I knew they were sold out at all of my usual shops. Glad I can eventually finish my magical girl robot set (with a bonus teenage angst robot thrown in)!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Hey, Gundam:

For the leg articulation, I'll point to the PS2 games: the Gogg moved with a weird little shuffle, which feels true to the model. All of the dynamism was in the arms in things like Federation vs Zeon. Which makes me wonder if the kit informed the game design at some point...

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Managed to get my FM Aerial painted before BG3 released! I have some G-Rework decals on the way so time to take a break and get some CRPGing in.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Eh, official or not, I'm in for this year's Backlogust. My backlog has grown to an uncomfortable size and I'm running out of closet space. I took a hiatus on building due to starting a new job and the new Zelda coming out. I finally started building the MG Victory Two Assault Buster ver. Ka that was my first P-Bandai purchase from when the American shop opened, but that was before August started, so it doesn't count.

I'll pepper in some smaller kits while working on it. We used to do timestamp pics for this, right?

First for me is the Airmaster Burst, from Gundam X. X is the show I know absolutely nothing about. I think I saw a RealPlayer format fansub of the first couple episodes back when it aired and remember nothing about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierson posted:

Managed to get my FM Aerial painted before BG3 released! I have some G-Rework decals on the way so time to take a break and get some CRPGing in.

That green looks so good, and the shading is gorgeous. :allears:.

edit: If you missed out on the MODEROID Big O, there's a Reprint coming in December!

Also MegaHouse is producing a 1/144 scale of the G-Witch Asticassia Mobile Suit container.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 3, 2023

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Anyone have experience with Zoids kits? There's a sale on right now and the prices suddenly seem like something to try.
I only ever did one Kotobukiya kit and I kind of hated it. Besides poor colour separation that they expected to correct with wrap-around waterslides that didn't work, it also kind of felt bad to build. Like it was designed in a way that was just not any fun. Also, it took like twenty minutes to get the head to attach to the body just because it was a bad connection.
Are Zoids good?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skrillmub posted:

Anyone have experience with Zoids kits? There's a sale on right now and the prices suddenly seem like something to try.
I only ever did one Kotobukiya kit and I kind of hated it. Besides poor colour separation that they expected to correct with wrap-around waterslides that didn't work, it also kind of felt bad to build. Like it was designed in a way that was just not any fun. Also, it took like twenty minutes to get the head to attach to the body just because it was a bad connection.
Are Zoids good?

HMM Zoid kits are fantastic. Got the Liger Zero Panzer and the Leena Gunsniper, loved both builds.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've built the Rev Raptor, the Godos and the Dark Horn from that line (I like the dinosaurs). The first two are pretty good, but the last one can be a bit of a nightmare if you mess with it after construction's done: the cockpits in particular are a bunch of fiddly parts and like to come apart. Don't know if that's common with the bigger ones, though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Starting my first kit for backlogust, HG 1/48 Juggernaut.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Skrillmub posted:

Are Zoids good?

The HMM Gojulas is goat'd.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BBTS notified me that the FiguRise Amplified ShineGreymon kit shipped. I’m really excited. We Digimon Savers favs usually get nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It was pointed out to me that it was August and I hadn't posted anything about Backlogust. I'ma be real, this will be the third year I've done this and probably the last, but someone else is welcome to pick up the torch next year.

If you would like to be a Backlogust prize donor, please send me a DM, the Discord, or email my gmail account, destysa. More prizes is always better! But please be aware that your generosity comes with an additional financial cost - you're going to have to spend at least a little on shipping stuff, either to me or much more reasonably directly to prize winners. If that sounds like it's either too inconvenient or too costly, you should probably not be a prize donor. Heavy lies the head that wears its backlog like some kind of hosed up hat.

Backlogust ZZ!

It's the third Backlogust, and I'm sure just like anime series, it'll be the best one possible.

The premise is a simple one - build kits, get prizes. More elaborate kits are worth more points. Entry is equally simple: take a picture of your unassembled kit along with a time stamp from this page so there's no funny business with who gets what on account of what counts. When you're done, post a picture of the finished kit.

Painting is encouraged! Especially if you're light on backlog, for some absurd reason.

Points values are as follows.

Haros and other tiny kits - 1/2 a point
High Grades or other manufacturer equivalent - 1 point
Master Grades and Real Grades and equivalent - 2 points
Perfect Grades and equivalent - 3 points

Painting gives you an automatic two bonus points, so painting up your garden variety Zaku will get you the same number of points as putting together the PGU RX-78. Again, make sure you're posting the before pictures with a time stamp, and that your model is obviously painted - don't be like me and spend weeks painting a MG only for it to look exactly like it did before you primed it.

Special chaos round rules this year: build any plastic kit. Hams, tanks, garage kits, whatever. The catch is it has to have at least three colors on it by the time you're finished, so no grey blobs. Unless you're painting a USAF plane, I guess. I reserve the right to award as many points as I feel like are merited by the level of work involved in Chaos Kits, so here's your chance to really gently caress with the standings.

If there're any questions, hit me up here or via the contact info posted above.

Roundup posts will pretty much only be on the weekends.

I'll get a spreadsheet up with the roundups. If you're participating in Backlogust, please check the sheet when it goes up. I'll do my best to make sure everyone's in good standing, but there's every chance I miss somebody's post or flub some data entry.