Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Double posting because I have an unrelated question. I broke out my pedalboard over the weekend and I had a weird thing happen. When I turn on my EHX #1 Echo sound stopped passing through, but then it did, and then it cut out again. The light on the pedal was on, and the power cable didn't seem to be loose. All of my pedals are plugged into a 1Spot power supply and I didn't notice any issues with the other pedals plugged into it. Is there anything I should look at or do to try to trouble shoot it or should I just take that one out of sequence and chalk it up to the whole thing living in an attic for 5 years and be glad it's the only pedal with an issue?

Fake edit: Not actually a double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Epi Lepi posted:

Update, playing left seems to be more natural for them but now we have an added complication. My partners hands are teeny tiny and we might need to try to find a short scale left handed guitar which sounds very difficult. I was surprised that my Epiphone LP still seemed a little large for them, since it's a 24.75 scale but the neck is a little chunky compared to my Jazzmaster. We're going to try again when they're not so discouraged but if people know companies that sell short scale lefties let me know.

I think if you already have a guitar they can play left handed they should try to learn on that for a while before you move to small scale guitars.

I have teeny hands and it’s led to me basically only playing in a more traditional style (thumb behind the neck) once they work more the ergonomics will make more sense, even if the neck is chunky. The most important thing is probably starting them down the right path for how they should hold the neck side of guitar properly and comfortably rather than the physical guitar itself.

There’s probably a better way of putting that, but I hope it makes sense.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Epi Lepi posted:

This is very cool and those guitars are cheap even with shipping to the US.

Thank you it's been so long since I started learning I can't remember what I had trouble with and what I didn't so when they said they just couldn't do that shape I was at a loss.

You also said "just learn righty" which was also advice I don't agree with. It was immediately obvious to me when I handed my partner a guitar that lefty was going to be more natural. Yes there's not a lot of left handed guitars on the market and less at smaller scale lengths but there aren't NONE and I don't really give a poo poo about throwing $400 bucks at something if that might give my partner a better chance at sticking with learning. And I was never ruling out all standard scale guitars forever, I was asking for more resources since the big 2 sites didn't really have many options for lefty guitars to begin with.

You're being weird and aggressive about the thought of someone not learning the way you did instead of just answering the questions I asked.

You're absolutely not wrong, but again, I was looking for options to possibly make things easier.

I didn't mean it in a mean way! I just think it's one of those things you gotta push through!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Double posting because I have an unrelated question. I broke out my pedalboard over the weekend and I had a weird thing happen. When I turn on my EHX #1 Echo sound stopped passing through, but then it did, and then it cut out again. The light on the pedal was on, and the power cable didn't seem to be loose. All of my pedals are plugged into a 1Spot power supply and I didn't notice any issues with the other pedals plugged into it. Is there anything I should look at or do to try to trouble shoot it or should I just take that one out of sequence and chalk it up to the whole thing living in an attic for 5 years and be glad it's the only pedal with an issue?

Fake edit: Not actually a double post

Probably dumb of me to assume you haven't checked the cables, but this sounds like a bad patch cable to me.

Another possibility, though less likely: if this pedal is anything like the tc electronic Flashback, there is a switch inside that will change the output to just the echoes/repeats. Any chance that is what you're hearing?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if you're really on the short scale have a look at squire mustangs, jaguars, or duo-sonics

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MustCV60SB--squier-classic-vibe-60s-mustang-sonic-blue?serial=ICSC23002041

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Gin_Rummy posted:

Probably dumb of me to assume you haven't checked the cables, but this sounds like a bad patch cable to me.

Another possibility, though less likely: if this pedal is anything like the tc electronic Flashback, there is a switch inside that will change the output to just the echoes/repeats. Any chance that is what you're hearing?

Would a bad patch cable allow sound to pass through when the pedal isn't powered but not when it is? That's the kind of thing I'm unsure about.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think if you already have a guitar they can play left handed they should try to learn on that for a while before you move to small scale guitars.

I have teeny hands and it’s led to me basically only playing in a more traditional style (thumb behind the neck) once they work more the ergonomics will make more sense, even if the neck is chunky. The most important thing is probably starting them down the right path for how they should hold the neck side of guitar properly and comfortably rather than the physical guitar itself.

There’s probably a better way of putting that, but I hope it makes sense.

We don't have a lefty yet so I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I don't care about throwing money at a shorter scale guitar when maybe they could really just push through to play standard from the get go, but I would care about throwing money at a lefty standard and then it turns out that they never are able to push through.

And I do wish that playing righty would work out for them because I'd love an excuse for another guitar that I could fiddle with myself but even briefly loving around it seemed pretty clear that lefty would come more natural.

ethanol posted:

if you're really on the short scale have a look at squire mustangs, jaguars, or duo-sonics

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MustCV60SB--squier-classic-vibe-60s-mustang-sonic-blue?serial=ICSC23002041

What annoys me is I swear Squier/Fender used to sell lefty jags and mustangs but now I only see the $1K+ Kurt Cobain models.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

What annoys me is I swear Squier/Fender used to sell lefty jags and mustangs but now I only see the $1K+ Kurt Cobain models.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EILPTVNHL--epiphone-les-paul-special-left-handed

it's half way between a mustang (24) and a strat (25.5)

too much guitar for a beginner imo but left short scale is a stiff ask.

edit: I thought this was shorter, I guess its just the standard lp length

ethanol fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 1, 2023

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I’m a beginner with Trumpian hands. I can’t do a 5 fret stretch yet nor can I wrap my thumb around the top of the neck. That said, I feel the Gibson scale length is perfectly fine. I have a Squier Offset Tele as well and while it’s not as comfortable, it’s not bad either. I’ve been playing 13 months now and neither put strain on my hands now that I’ve built up a little strength.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I've never been able to do the thumb over the neck thing :(

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Epi Lepi posted:

This is very cool and those guitars are cheap even with shipping to the US.

Thank you it's been so long since I started learning I can't remember what I had trouble with and what I didn't so when they said they just couldn't do that shape I was at a loss.

You also said "just learn righty" which was also advice I don't agree with. It was immediately obvious to me when I handed my partner a guitar that lefty was going to be more natural. Yes there's not a lot of left handed guitars on the market and less at smaller scale lengths but there aren't NONE and I don't really give a poo poo about throwing $400 bucks at something if that might give my partner a better chance at sticking with learning. And I was never ruling out all standard scale guitars forever, I was asking for more resources since the big 2 sites didn't really have many options for lefty guitars to begin with.

You're being weird and aggressive about the thought of someone not learning the way you did instead of just answering the questions I asked.

You're absolutely not wrong, but again, I was looking for options to possibly make things easier.

not sure where you got aggression from out of that post, but i genuinely wish your partner success in learning the instrument. learning guitar is a hard thing, and the guitar teacher in me just wants to maximize people's chance of success learning the instrument (since any group of people in a given sample of students will tend to have people who give up on it, usually for reasons that unfortunately aren't tied to a passion for the instrument.)

beginning to learn the guitar is like scaling a concrete wall with your bare hands, and carving handholds in the wall that lead to a feeling of progression is the goal. there's many roads to rome though, not just mine.

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)

Tommy the Newt posted:

I ordered the tools to do a fret dressing, they won't arrive till later in the month but does anyone have any tips for a first timer? Previously I just paid people to do it for me but I'm feeling all "teach a man to fish" about it suddenly, plus I find I tend to play the guitars down to a real crappy state before taking them in because I want to maximise the value of the service, or something, which leads to playing crappy buzzy frets for longer.

I've watched a ton of different videos and while people seem to have slightly different techniques I've got a solid idea of the basics I think. What I'm interested in particularly are warnings/pitfalls/horror stories people may have. Watching a bunch of professionals shows you what to do, but doesn't necessarily show what amongst that is easy to gently caress up. Also if anyone has any extra tips of stuff that might seem skippable but is actually worth it. For example I saw some people re-seating the frets with a fret hammer and superglue before the levelling but I struggle to know how much hassle that is, how easy it is to mess up etc. Kind of want to find the right balance between what's going to produce the best result and what's going to be safest / less stressful.

This is the best guide I’ve found

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/fret-leveling-yer-tele-101.201556/

I used a block of engineered marble as my straightedge. Bought it from Home Depot like this, wrapped it in a towel and broke it in half.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MSI-Whi...X36DB/202521103

Use lots of painters tape, go slow, and don’t over do it on the truss rod.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

We don't have a lefty yet so I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I don't care about throwing money at a shorter scale guitar when maybe they could really just push through to play standard from the get go, but I would care about throwing money at a lefty standard and then it turns out that they never are able to push through.
I love guitar shopping so I put together a list of options for you.

24" scale
Thomann Mustang Clone ($155)
Thomann is pretty universally beloved at this price point (as has been mentioned) and while you're going to find QC issues in any mass produced guitars, their customer support is also incredible
https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_ms_60lh_vw_vintage_series.htm

22" scale
Ibanez Mikro ($200)
https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-String-Solid-Body-Electric-GRGM21BKNL/dp/B004MM8OYQ

CNZ Mustang 3/4th scale ($179) - comes in multiple colors
https://cnzaudio.com/collections/electric-guitars/products/jm-mini-crl-l-electric-guitar-coral

And of course you know there's a whole world of the 24.75" style (gibson style) so if that's interesting the options really open up. There's probably no better option there than the Epiphone G-400 Pro (you can snag a used one on reverb for like $300 and they tend to be super loving light), although the Yamaha Revstar line is also at that scale and can be had for pretty close to the same price if you go used.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
not saying that somebody should push through any pain or discomfort when learning, but hand size has no bearing on how well you can play guitar. lots of little children are able to play full scale length classical guitar, it's just about learning the technique. it should be helpful for a beginner to hear "it's not that your hands are too small, it's that you haven't learned the technique to stretch your fingers yet, and that takes a long time for everyone! so just keep working on it"

personally i err on the side of telling people that guitar is probably much harder than they think it is, so they don't get frustrated early on thinking they're learning slower than they should.

definitely don't think a lefty should force playing a righty though, unless they really want to. it'd be like learning to skateboard in the wrong stance

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I assume in the context of what Epi Lei is asking, you have to factor in how many frets the guitars have too.

So like in order: a 25.5" vintage Strat but it has 21 frets > a modern Strat has 22 in the same scale length. So then I guess the modern technically has easier reach. Then comes in gibson which has 24.75" with 22 frets. And then fender 'student' guitars such as jaguar/mustangs coming in at 24" with 22 frets. (some of these jags probably have 21 frets too)

But I've been playing a very long time and honestly I barely notice the difference in scale length between 24.75" or 25.5", just something I haven't thought much about. Although interesting that my top 3 guitars I pick up right now are: a vintage Strat with 21 frets, a modern tele with 22 frets, and a gibson LP with the 24.75"

I've never bothered with the 24" guitars

ethanol fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 1, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

there's a little difference in scale length but i can go 25.5 to 24 barely noticing. 23.5 like a gs mini is when it gets a little cramped.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

there's a little difference in scale length but i can go 25.5 to 24 barely noticing. 23.5 like a gs mini is when it gets a little cramped.

oh yeah which I think may clear up some of my confusion... the 'student' guitars in the 50/60s came in 22.5" a lot didn't they? Pretty sure a lot of duo sonics were 22.5. that's the one I tried out once I couldn't work with. Looks like all the modern CV / vintera jags etc are 24".

ethanol fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 1, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

ethanol posted:

oh yeah which I think may clear up some of my confusion... the 'student' guitars in the 50/60s came in 22.5" a lot didn't they? Pretty sure a lot of duo sonics were 22.5. that's the one I tried out once I couldn't work with. Looks like all the modern CV / vintera jags etc are 24".

22.5 would absolutely be weird yeah

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ethanol posted:

Duo Sonic came as 22.5 until the sixties, yes. After that they offered a 24 option after that which is what we tend to think of as "short" now. The newer Squier Mini Jazzmaster is 22.75.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

landgrabber posted:

i just see the "short scales are unnecessary" thing as a mark of the player. maybe they aren't necessary for basic open chords and barre chords. however, this:

is maybe actually playable by some humans on a 24 inch scale length but i have salad fingers and that poo poo is impossible on my strat.

Huh, I actually managed to finger that one (on a 25") though it's not super comfortable. Sounds like Al DiMeola.

gregday
May 23, 2003

landgrabber posted:

i just see the "short scales are unnecessary" thing as a mark of the player. maybe they aren't necessary for basic open chords and barre chords. however, this:

is maybe actually playable by some humans on a 24 inch scale length but i have salad fingers and that poo poo is impossible on my strat.

The tricky part is getting your 7th finger on the D string.

mewse
May 2, 2006

gregday posted:

The tricky part is getting your 7th finger on the D string.

5 is thumb right?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
7 is the wiener

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ethanol posted:

I assume in the context of what Epi Lei is asking, you have to factor in how many frets the guitars have too.

So like in order: a 25.5" vintage Strat but it has 21 frets > a modern Strat has 22 in the same scale length. So then I guess the modern technically has easier reach. Then comes in gibson which has 24.75" with 22 frets. And then fender 'student' guitars such as jaguar/mustangs coming in at 24" with 22 frets. (some of these jags probably have 21 frets too)

But I've been playing a very long time and honestly I barely notice the difference in scale length between 24.75" or 25.5", just something I haven't thought much about. Although interesting that my top 3 guitars I pick up right now are: a vintage Strat with 21 frets, a modern tele with 22 frets, and a gibson LP with the 24.75"

I've never bothered with the 24" guitars
That extra fret is just on the high end of the fretboard and wouldn't affect the feel at all. To take your strat example at a 25.5" scale, the 12th fret should be 12.75" away from the nut halfway up the scale length. 24th fret (if it existed, in this case it's where the neck pickup is) would be at 19.125" away from the nut. The formula for fret distances in equal temperament is (scale_length) - (scale_length / 2^(fret_number / 12)) if anyone wants to follow along at home

To take an extreme example, a fretless bass (or classical stringed instrument, or slide guitar) has 0 or infinite frets depending on how you look at it, and the positions of the notes don't change.

e: to bring it around to the short scale discussion and this:

darkwasthenight posted:

If you can't play that exact shape one fret higher on 25.5 then a short scale will not help.
A few examples of fret distance from the nut using the formula above across 25.5" and 24" scale lengths, since you're probably not going shorter than 24 unless you're in a CCR or early Beatles cover band.
code:
Fret    25.5"   24"
1       1.43   1.34
3       4.06   3.82
5       6.40   6.02
7       8.48   7.98
12      12.75   12

So 25.5" - 1.43" (capo on first fret) is... pretty close to 24" and you can simulate whether a 24" guitar would make much of a difference by just playing one fret up.

The Leck fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 1, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Leck posted:

That extra fret is just on the high end of the fretboard and wouldn't affect the feel at all. To take your strat example at a 25.5" scale, the 12th fret should be 12.75" away from the nut halfway up the scale length. 24th fret (if it existed, in this case it's where the neck pickup is) would be at 19.125" away from the nut. The formula for fret distances in equal temperament is (scale_length) - (scale_length / 2^(fret_number / 12)) if anyone wants to follow along at home

To take an extreme example, a fretless bass (or classical stringed instrument, or slide guitar) has 0 or infinite frets depending on how you look at it, and the positions of the notes don't change.

makes sense

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Moving from a cheap isn acoustic with slightly high action to a good quality electric with jumbo fret is fun. Barre chords in particular are finally something I can make progress on. Only problem so far is that I often push too hard on the strings and they go sharp or I bend the notes a bit. It's so weird that the strings don't make contact with the fretboard.

Also my THR got bricked when updating it so it's gone for a while :(. Can't wait to have it back.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j-AeH6Wx2o

Harton fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 1, 2023

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Armacham posted:

I can fret thumb over the bottom 2 strings easily but I can't do long stretches because I have a small little finger.

Swings and roundabouts.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

sometimes long fingers come with less flexibility or something, at least that's why I think I could do larger stretches than some big hands back in school

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I could tell the difference between 25.5" and 24" but then I started practicing bass more/exclusively and now they both feel like tiny baby instruments. I feel it much more in the string tension than fret position tbh

my left hand reach has increased like an inch vs my right (comparing index and pinkie) in the two years I've been playing for what thats worth. I have medium-big hands, not freakishly large but on the large side of normal

e; and thumb over is entirely fretboard radius. Easy as hell on the 7.25 things, but all my 12 inchers (ironically this includes my 90s MIK Tele) are a huge pain in the rear end

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That is a very cool laid-back vibe for that tune. I like that a lot.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Armacham posted:

Keep stretching! If you’re ever able to unlock the ability, it really adds a whole new dimension to your playing. I much prefer playing barre chords with the thumb over method now that I can do so. It adds so much versatility, a la Hendrix or Frusciante.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I learnt classical violin before switching to guitar and our teacher used to yell at us if we gripped the neck with the thumb, it was supposed to float over the back of the neck with ample space between the neck and your palm. Sadly that got ingrained and I really struggle to do thumb things on guitar now; feels like I'm about to be berated.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

That is a very cool laid-back vibe for that tune. I like that a lot.

Thanks man!

I remixed it with more drums lol. I’m never happy with the mix.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Harton posted:

Thanks man!

I remixed it with more drums lol. I’m never happy with the mix.

dig it, glad you reposted! always enjoy that song and you did it justice

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

a.p. dent posted:

dig it, glad you reposted! always enjoy that song and you did it justice

Thanks! We started our second set with it so we started all droney and let it build.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHNolq1jJHQ

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
String gauge question because I'm too stupid to use calculators apparently, and there's so much conflicting advice online.

My main guitar is currently 6-string 26.5" to 25.5" multiscale and I play 10-52s in standard tuning. I'm getting a new main guitar (for standard tuning) and I want to drop my current one to B standard to match my 5-string bass.

Obviously I'll need a setup, but what gauge sets are a good place to start for this? I guess I really only need to figure out the top and bottom numbers.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Anyone know how much you'd expect to pay for a 2006 CIJ Jazzmaster? (In the EU?)

They're asking for 600 eur, I'm trying to work out if this is a "too good to be true" deal or not - they seem to go for more on reverb. It's got some dings and the rhythm switch has been replaced with a killswitch but other than that it looks in good condition, I'd just have to buy it sight-unseen because it's too far from me.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

fullroundaction posted:

Obviously I'll need a setup, but what gauge sets are a good place to start for this? I guess I really only need to figure out the top and bottom numbers.

i also use 10-52 for standard tuning. my 7 string is 26.5" scale and i just use the same 10-52 set for the bottom 6 and a .070 for the low b. so i guess 13-70

i tried a few other gauges but anything below like .064 is a bit floppy for my taste

insane clown pussy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I sold mine for 800 GBP before the you-know, so a good price. Is it through a proper marketplace or just classifieds?