Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
And one more good bit of cheesy '60s sci-fi with Kirk & Co. teaming with Mudd to trick androids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbHtzqCge_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Kirk Drift is an article I find more relevant with each passing year. Pop culture actively misremembers itself as part of the process of redirecting ideas that are inconvenient to capitalism.

See also, every successive Iron Man appearance throwing away any inconvenient character development from his previous ones. It's not just a phenomenon, it's a policy.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Snowman_McK posted:

It's weird how these movies have this effect. Lindsay Ellis is generally pretty good at analysing and thinking about film, but that same scene provoked a terrible take from her, too. Not quite as bad, but she also concluded that it was trying to do something that it isn't really doing and that it failed at setting that up. It's in her video on the symbolism of the boot in Fury Road if you feel like looking it up. You get an excellent analysis of a whole relationship being symbolised by the exchange of shoes as well as her completely failing to read a scene where the characters simply explain what's happening.

I feel like Ellis never left her "nostalgia chick" phase. One of the last videos I watched from any of the Channel Awesome folks was her Dune video (holy crap that's going back forever, I think that one came out in like 2011) because it didn't really feel like an exploration of the film at all. She had a "defender" and all they really did was pop up occasionally to say ~the spice must flow~ in weirder ways each time. As a fan of both the novel, the Lynch adaptation, the miniseries, and the games, I was looking forward to someone with no foundation to explore what the Lynch movie was all about, but I didn't get that at all. By the end of that video, my thoughts were "I just watched someone spend almost 30 minutes complaining about a 'weird' movie and dunking on fringe elements of the fanbase. I could've gotten that in one paragraph on a blog, wtf?" and from there just dumped watching video reviews for several years.

I started rewatching things she'd done post-Channel Awesome after her Hobbit stuff blew up, and for the most part, I appreciated seeing deeper dives into technical things and actual critiques. Then, during the aforementioned Fury Road review, she went on a tangent about how Snyder, apparently, doesn't understand basic concepts like foreshadowing because MoS doesn't follow the "established" rules of how everyone else does them. It also came off, to me, like a 'gotcha' moment that was there to show she was one of the cool people, or whatever. It didn't really fit what was going on and could have had any other schlocky movie be her example, but no, gotta establish her anti-Snyder credentials.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

LesterGroans posted:

I'm excited for Rebel Moon.

I want to see more rejected Star Wars pitches fully realized. Like when David Fincher said the only Star Wars he'd be interested in directing was a Droid slave revolt. Gimme that poo poo.

https://youtu.be/RvBhQGySEwY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

How did I not know this existed til now lol, this looks rad. Dune/The Batman cinematographer too!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

whoa

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope Dustin Nguyen got some money from them for the blatant design lifts from Descender.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Gareth Edwards has really deserved a chance to make a big budget original movie and Im very very happy for him. Hes come a long way since Monsters.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

ruddiger posted:

I hope Dustin Nguyen got some money from them for the blatant design lifts from Descender.

Oh poo poo

I kind of want to read this now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's a very cool cover but I immediately think of AI lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Watchmen really was released a decade too early.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

well why not posted:

I also think that BvS was released a couple of years too early.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The curse of being a visionary ahead of his time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

well why not posted:

Indeed, but then it's one of those things you might as well pounce on when you have the chance. Like Dune, even a rough adaptation can pave the way for a better one down the track.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Mr. Apollo posted:

I also think that BvS was released a couple of years too early.

I still feel the theatrical cut killed BvS. The movie was always going to be divisive, but it would have played a lot better with people who already loved MoS. The theatrical cut just took out too much Lois and Clark.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I actually didnt mind the theatrical cut - the big beats are amazing. But the directors cut is just such a huge step above.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought I couldn't make Dawn of the Dead as a straight remake because the movie is social commentary and so I wanted to make a comment on the comment, you know what I mean?

https://letterboxd.com/ifccenter/story/sucker-punch-an-interview-with-zack-snyder/

Very funny Snyder interview here, right off the bat they start talking about FRANCES (1982) dir. Graeme Clifford

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought I couldn't make Dawn of the Dead as a straight remake because the movie is social commentary and so I wanted to make a comment on the comment, you know what I mean?

https://letterboxd.com/ifccenter/story/sucker-punch-an-interview-with-zack-snyder/

Very funny Snyder interview here, right off the bat they start talking about FRANCES (1982) dir. Graeme Clifford

Zack Snyder: Wow, that's kind. It was a very polarizing film.

ES: It sure was. I feel like you can't make something so audacious without alienating a few people.

ZS: To be frank, the people I've run across who've come to me and said ‘SUCKER PUNCH is my favorite movie’ are normally angsty teenage girls. It's like a Morrissey song or something.

lmao

It's a great interview, definitely give it a read

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Vintersorg posted:

I actually didnt mind the theatrical cut - the big beats are amazing. But the directors cut is just such a huge step above.

I only watched the director's cut on Max and thought it was pretty awesome. It's definitely more Watchmen than Avengers.

I don't really remember what flack the theatrical cut got, was it just that it's too dark? Not quippy enough?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

shoeberto posted:

I only watched the director's cut on Max and thought it was pretty awesome. It's definitely more Watchmen than Avengers.

I don't really remember what flack the theatrical cut got, was it just that it's too dark? Not quippy enough?

The logic flow becomes way more fever dream-ish, and we get much less, relatively, of Lois and Superman's investigative arcs. It becomes more about Batman's crazed Ahab-like pursuit of Superman.

So yeah, it's dark, Batman's stuck in full-on vengeful bull-in-china-shop mode, the Knightmare dream sequence didn't work for the not-my-Batman crowd, so stack those on top of the already existing not-my-Superman crowd. The theatrical cut kind of works as a nightmarish Batman-pov'd movie, though.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
didn't they cut out most of the actual narrative part of the story so the theatrical felt like an insanely disjointed mess?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The logic flow becomes way more fever dream-ish, and we get much less, relatively, of Lois and Superman's investigative arcs. It becomes more about Batman's crazed Ahab-like pursuit of Superman.

So yeah, it's dark, Batman's stuck in full-on vengeful bull-in-china-shop mode, the Knightmare dream sequence didn't work for the not-my-Batman crowd, so stack those on top of the already existing not-my-Superman crowd. The theatrical cut kind of works as a nightmarish Batman-pov'd movie, though.

Patrolling Gotham City almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Tankbuster posted:

didn't they cut out most of the actual narrative part of the story so the theatrical felt like an insanely disjointed mess?
For me personally, yes. I watched theatrical and hated it and got Ultimate because goons kept singing its praises and it was dark knight and day for me - theatrical simply fails to give its characters motivations including reasons to go places. It makes no logical sense and only works if you're into films that work on vibes only which I'm not.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Tankbuster posted:

Simply Simon posted:

For me personally, yes. I watched theatrical and hated it and got Ultimate because goons kept singing its praises and it was dark knight and day for me - theatrical simply fails to give its characters motivations including reasons to go places. It makes no logical sense and only works if you're into films that work on vibes only which I'm not.

The motivation is alien 9/11 broke Batman's brain same as regular 9/11 broke America's brain. That's all the motivation the main spine of the movie needed (even the Ultimate cut).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The motivation is alien 9/11 broke Batman's brain same as regular 9/11 broke America's brain. That's all the motivation the main spine of the movie needed (even the Ultimate cut).
For you maybe

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The theatrical cut explains batmans motivations pretty well, but it mostly alludes to Supermans reasons. The UE elaborates a bit on why Clark goes after Batman, and it really helps flesh out his part in the movie.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The cuts that made BvS theatrical were so deep they hit bone. They shortened or removed shots that establish details of setting and characterization, making the whole things a bit more of a puzzle than planned. The information is still there, of course, because the settings and characters are still there, but it has a disorienting and, yes, dreamlike effect on the end result. That effect is pretty interesting and unexpected in the absence of, or as a point of comparison to, the Ultimate cut, but I wouldn't recommend it over the longer version.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The ambiguity in the theatrical is more over whether characters (both "hero" and ordinary) are justified in their actions than their motivations, which are the same in either cut.

I prefer it to the ultimate cut (and to most superhero movies lol) for that reason!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Add me to the list of the people who slightly prefer the theatrical cut. I was put off at first but on a repeat viewing I absolutely love that it takes the fever dream logic of the opening sequences (which themselves include dreams) into basically the entire first half of the movie, only finally slowing down after the Knightmare when Bruce has become more determined in his end goal.

The Ultimate Cut is a bit bloated for my tastes but there are some absolutely criminal cuts that fleshed out Clark's character a lot more (and ironically after one of the main talking points about MoS being that Clark is too sad and alien, the studio essentially forced them to cut a lot of Clark's humanity as well as the film's humor in order to try and squeeze more showings in)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, ngl the theatrical cut defense feels like bending over backwards to say that the movie makes you FEEL like batman having a mental breakdown. WB just kept doing the sideshow bob rake thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sure, but that's what a movie is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, I should expand a little: Batman mostly made sense in theatrical, but Clark's reporting was almost all cut out, including the various lies and manipulations that Luthor seeds to make him consider Batman dangerous, so Clark just shows up places being weirdly hostile to Batman and it's unclear why he's there at all. If you decide to frame BvS theatrical as being entirely about Batman then this is not a big issue but it's also very much not the title

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The theatrical is like those generic westerns distributors would dub and contort into Django vs. Sartana movies.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Good interview. It’s going to break so many brains again.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just want to say that even if the Ultimate Edition had been released theatrically, I don't think it would have changed things one bit. After Man of Steel, people's brains were broken about Snyder, and him then bringing a Frank Miller-inspired Batman into it was just fuel to the fire.

Even ignoring stuff that people invented to complain about or mock (it's not in color! Superman doesn't speak! The Martha scene is so dumb lol! Lex Luthor is literally just the Heath Ledger Joker!) that the Ultimate Cut wouldn't have changed, there's the fact that at its core people seemingly understood that Batman in the film was the villain, but simultaneously went to "only an idiot would think that Batman would ever act like that!" and "Snyder 100% sympathizes with Batman and the movie 100% endorses Batman's behavior." When the general comics audience is that dumb no version of the movie is going to get through to them.

I remember in early 2016, a few months before BvS came out, one of the shows on my local NPR had someone from io9 on, I think Annalee Newitz, to talk about comic book movies. She specifically brought up BvS and Captain America: Civil War - which again, no one had seen yet because neither movie was out - and said, "These movies are going to be fairly similar, except Batman v Superman is going to be a bit more fascist than Captain America." Comics nerds and reviewers had already made up their mind what the take was going to be on the film, and nothing that was in the actual film itself was going to change that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

checkplease posted:

Good interview. It’s going to break so many brains again.

The over/under on "a love letter to Frank Miller" being taken as an endorsement of fascism is 9:1.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Chairman Capone posted:

I just want to say that even if the Ultimate Edition had been released theatrically, I don't think it would have changed things one bit. After Man of Steel, people's brains were broken about Snyder, and him then bringing a Frank Miller-inspired Batman into it was just fuel to the fire.

It goes back to Dawn of the Dead but yeah, going by a lot of reactions at the time it literally didn't matter what was in the film, minds were made up about it in advance.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It goes back to Dawn of the Dead but yeah, going by a lot of reactions at the time it literally didn't matter what was in the film, minds were made up about it in advance.

So many "zombies don't run!" complaints lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I remember the "zombies don't run" complaints, and I thought to myself "well there's been a lot of movies where they don't run, let's see what happens when they do" (I am by no means super-familiar with zombie lore, although I watched a decent amount of VHS stuff when I worked at the video store)

There were so many takes of "if the zombies run you destroy what makes them zombies" at the time, it was wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Return of the Living Dead would destroy their minds.