Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

DS3 is the best dark souls but nerds have spent so long playing ds1 and 2 that they are obviously burnt out on the formula.

spicy take: if you have not played dark souls 1 2 or 3, start with 3. Play 2 if you're hungry for seconds

if you're a completionist and want to play the entire series in order, get therapy

I started with 3 when it released and this is good advice.
I did 3>1>BB>sekiro>elden
never played 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

DS3 is the best dark souls but nerds have spent so long playing ds1 and 2 that they are obviously burnt out on the formula.

spicy take: if you have not played dark souls 1 2 or 3, start with 3. Play 2 if you're hungry for seconds

if you're a completionist and want to play the entire series in order, get therapy

Nah they're all great games and all 3 probably belong in the top 50 games of the 2010s. There's enough variety and distinction between each game that they're all worth playing if you like the general from formula aka fromula

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pussy Quipped posted:

I started with 3 when it released and this is good advice.
I did 3>1>BB>sekiro>elden
never played 2

gold star fromsexual

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

due to dumbassery I can’t comprehend/follow the purestrain miyazaki stuff so DS2 actually having a plot that kinda makes sense with characters and stuff gives it some serious points in my eyes.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
but that one makes less sense...

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

cool av posted:

due to dumbassery I can’t comprehend/follow the purestrain miyazaki stuff so DS2 actually having a plot that kinda makes sense with characters and stuff gives it some serious points in my eyes.

the rulers of the world want you to sacrifice yourself to sustain the cycle of sacrifice that sustains the ruling class, which is accelerating with each cycle of sacrifice.

dark souls is a story about class warfare.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

the rulers of the world want you to sacrifice yourself to sustain the cycle of sacrifice that sustains the ruling class, which is accelerating with each cycle of sacrifice.

dark souls is a story about class warfare.
in DS3 you're the CEO trying to get the Board to go along with your bullshit

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Grey Fox posted:

in DS3 you're the CEO trying to get the Board to go along with your bullshit

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

wolfs posted:

I got vaguely curious and checked Google and apparently Path of Exile has a party finder system - which I think it lacked the last time I played - so I'm vaguely hopeful PoE 2 will too. I sorta stopped playing D4 a few months ago because it got lonely.

But my next qualm with how ARPGs seem to work now is the notion of leagues and seasons and seasonal characters. What's the point of making new characters over and over and having to re-level up?? What's the appeal?

That's the appeal.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The king genocided the giants because he was manipulated by the evil foreign queen and then he was cursed or something so the queen gets you to kill him so she can link the flame and also some guy is there with her for some reason now you get to do flame stuff the end

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you're spoiling it... cmon

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
DS3 has the worst fromsoft poison swamp zone.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

You know, i got all the achievements in ds3 but I'll be hosed if i can remember the plot lol. There's... 2 kings? And one rides around on the other?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Hatebag posted:

You know, i got all the achievements in ds3 but I'll be hosed if i can remember the plot lol. There's... 2 kings? And one rides around on the other?

it's the plot of dark souls 1, but with one shrine maiden instead of two snakey bois

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Hatebag posted:

yeah and they have the best boss theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdy_rct6uo

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ds1 has the distinction of having the best world design, by which I mean the extremely tight physical construction of lordran. things like firelink having an elevator up to the parish while also overlooking blighttown, the centipede demon sitting there plain as day visible from the pre-demon firesage stairs with all the capra demons if you know where to look, lost izalith’s dome on the left from the entrance to the demon ruins, the sudden realization that darkroot is the exact same location as the royal gardens in the dlc, etc. that it all fits together with extremely minimal trickery is a triumph

now, how much someone cares about that is a different question, but out of the three, ds1 obviously does it the best. only bloodborne comes close (and poo poo like the forbidden woods snake eater ladder leading to iosefka’s clinic are also extremely good)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I saw the Spin Doctors live as part of a free outdoor concert like six or seven years ago and it was a surprisingly good show, good energy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Real tip for DS2: Blunt damage works well against armored dude. A mace is amazing in Heide's tower of flames.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

it's the plot of dark souls 1, but with one shrine maiden instead of two snakey bois

Yeah i guess that's basically it. Kill 5 guys and do fire stuff, stab your wife if you like

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
youre not supposed to do the tower of flame stuff first???

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Al! posted:

im a creature of habit so I always went down the forest path first then the tower

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Al! posted:

it's my favorite start :shrug:
DS2 doesn't have any real interconnectedness between its paths but they're all viable openings which I like because you can go grab what you want as soon as possible without just running past everything.
DS3 being on rails early game was kind of a drag.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like the plot of ds3, it's just hey here are some big guys who sucked up shitloads of souls (like the pope who ate too many kids) and theyr meant to toss themselves on the fire but none of them wanted to
so now you (a jumbled amalgamation of the cremated remains of every player who quit before the end) gotta take their souls by force and rekindle the bonfire which is now protected by all the previous PCs who beat DS1 and gwyn.

The meta nature of the plot was what attracted me to DS1 in the first place and it's continued in 3. All the bosses are just npcs who levelled up too hard because souls are exp in dark souls world, they linked the fire but that's not good enough anymore cause the fire keeps fading regardless so now they have to be thrown onto it too.

The most nasty and hosed up little guy, Ludleth, is the only one who actually showed up to do his job when the call went out.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I was hoping they'd release ds2 on the switch because that was a great way to replay ds1 but it seems like if they were gonna do that they'd have done it by now. Too bad!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

World War Mammories posted:

ds1 has the distinction of having the best world design, by which I mean the extremely tight physical construction of lordran. things like firelink having an elevator up to the parish while also overlooking blighttown, the centipede demon sitting there plain as day visible from the pre-demon firesage stairs with all the capra demons if you know where to look, lost izalith’s dome on the left from the entrance to the demon ruins, the sudden realization that darkroot is the exact same location as the royal gardens in the dlc, etc. that it all fits together with extremely minimal trickery is a triumph

now, how much someone cares about that is a different question, but out of the three, ds1 obviously does it the best. only bloodborne comes close (and poo poo like the forbidden woods snake eater ladder leading to iosefka’s clinic are also extremely good)

This and DS1 has the best flow of all their games (at least up until you get the Lordvessel) because the lack of fast travel combined with all the harrowing encounters and excellent world design gives the whole experience a heroic feel. Bloodborne is a close second place because even with fast travel you still have incredibly tight world design that even reinforces a major theme of the game. But DS1 definitely has some secret sauce that From hasn't totally replicated yet.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

imagine playing an arpg instead of a soulslike

I tried but I died too much to do anything :smithfrog:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aldia Was Right.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I love that the stance themes are all the same, but speed up or slowed down depending on the stance you use.

I tested this and the combat theme stays the same but the supporting instrument changes - swordsman has the koto, gunman/wild dancer have guitars, etc.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I could be wrong about this, but I feel like DS3 has the most instances of not doing something at the right time = missing out on an NPC's quests or a not getting an important merchant and other things like that. I think I might've dropped it halfway through my first playthrough because of something like that, but it's been quite a while.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Mayonetta, fat version of bayonetta

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For whatever reason, Dark Souls 2 was the only Dark Souls I was able to get far into (not because of difficulty, but because I'd lose interest).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This drops August 8th with the next update.
https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1686377180174196737?t=_aqbm2b_afglqRXizLEkRg&s=19

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

For whatever reason, Dark Souls 2 was the only Dark Souls I was able to get far into (not because of difficulty, but because I'd lose interest).

doesn't surprise me, it's the best one

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Objectively correct.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

but that one makes less sense...

nah ds2s story is pretty obviously about the dangers of consorting with women

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

a goon in ishin spontaneously grew a mustache upon combat starting, definitely ranking high on my list of favorite video game glitches

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

it's 1995 and i'm sneaking out to play my playstation at 1am on a school night to avoid my bitch parents telling me im playing too many games and need to become responsible
its 2025 and i'm sneaking out to play my plastation 5 at 1am on a work night to avoid my bitch wife telling me im playing too many games and need to become responsible

its 2055 and i'm sneaking out to play my plastation 9 at 1am on a colonoscopy night to avoid my bitch kid telling me im playing too many games and need to become responsible

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

john elden

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ds2 is the best because it has the redhead lady saying bearer of the curse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy