Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Foulbrood posted:

Having read almost nothing about it until now, can anyone give me a tl;dr on the hype surrounding Baldur’s Gate 3?

Is it going to be more Dragon Age than Pathfinder mechanically? Never played Larian’s Divinity games.

It's a sequel to a game you might have heard about that was called Baldur's Gate 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

It's a sequel to a game you might have heard about that was called Baldur's Gate 2

Most gamers weren't even born yet when BG2 came out.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
BG3, 147 hours of unskippable cutscenes.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

OgNar posted:

In-between bouts of butt-kicking for goodness.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Every now and then I get a hankering to try a proper rougelike, but they never stick. Brogue and Dungeon Robber are probably the closest I've come to actually sticking with one, I'll still load one of them up to waste a couple hours every now and then, but that's it.

I can appreciate the mathematical purity of systems mastery, but part of what I love about RPGs is exploring a world alien to my own, and most roguelikes I come across are just the dungeon. There's no history to uncover, no culture to experience, even the NPCs and shopkeepers are largely utilitarian. I need to find a roguelike that simulates its own history like Dwarf Fortress does for your settlement.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!

Begemot posted:

Most of the hype around it is just that it's very solidly made, and looks like it's going to be gigantic. Their other games were based around their own original setting/combat rules, but this is just D&D 5e, with all the complications that implies. And they appear to have nailed it.
Thanks for the write-up! Haven’t touched anything 5e related yet. Are they doing a 1:1 rules wise like Owlcat and their Pathfinder games?

lordfrikk posted:

Oh, word? The space hamster game?!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Bad Seafood posted:

Every now and then I get a hankering to try a proper rougelike, but they never stick. Brogue and Dungeon Robber are probably the closest I've come to actually sticking with one, I'll still load one of them up to waste a couple hours every now and then, but that's it.

I can appreciate the mathematical purity of systems mastery, but part of what I love about RPGs is exploring a world alien to my own, and most roguelikes I come across are just the dungeon. There's no history to uncover, no culture to experience, even the NPCs and shopkeepers are largely utilitarian. I need to find a roguelike that simulates its own history like Dwarf Fortress does for your settlement.

You probably want to try Caves of Qud.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bad Seafood posted:

Caves of qud
efb

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

You probably want to try Caves of Qud.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Caves of qud
efb
Well then, I'll give it a look. Thanks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Have you tried Caves of Qud?

EDIT: Err...ToME might be pretty good for that too.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I sure hope Larian can improve their writing from insufferably bad to at least halfway decent for BG3…

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Have you tried Caves of Qud?

EDIT: Err...ToME might be pretty good for that too.
I'd heard of them both in passing, but mostly in the spirit of "This open-ended game lets you do some crazy stuff," which is what everyone says about their open-world, make-your-own-fun video game of choice. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not. Having a strong sense of place, however, goes a long way to selling me on the adventure, which isn't something every game like this can claim.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Qud is incredibly well written and evocative.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Qud started out with Frank Herbert's Dune, and decided that wasn't loving bonkers enough and so they dropped a bunch of acid and wrote the rest of it. Seriously, read the descriptions on things:

quote:

The ivory sea's dunes are like waves frozen in place. There are cracks in the salt from where the earth, blistered by the jeweled sun, contracted and broke. The horizon melts the sky together with the vast plain of Moghra'yi, the Great Salt Desert.

quote:

Here crumble the mysterious Eaters' vine-swathed works, spun on the cyclopean lathe in an ageless past. Chrome steeples and parapets that rise above the clutches of shale hint at the labyrinths beneath them.

quote:

Borne on a half-dozen delicate, writhing tendrils, it runs. The sleek suggestion of an indeterminate terrestrial creature flows with shocking agility through the intervening space, its features glistering in the light like erosion-sculpted glass. It knows not what it runs from or to, it is unable to ask where or why it runs, and yet it runs still.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd heard of them both in passing, but mostly in the spirit of "This open-ended game lets you do some crazy stuff," which is what everyone says about their open-world, make-your-own-fun video game of choice. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not. Having a strong sense of place, however, goes a long way to selling me on the adventure, which isn't something every game like this can claim.

it does let you do some crazy stuff but it's also set in a very compelling world. it feels strange and eclectic but very cohesive at the same time. i would strongly recommend you play it if that's what you're looking for. play a four armed mutant guy who chops heads and limbs for a relatively easy start.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Foulbrood posted:

Thanks for the write-up! Haven’t touched anything 5e related yet. Are they doing a 1:1 rules wise like Owlcat and their Pathfinder games?

thankfully no, they're got a bunch of homebrew/house rules implemented into BG3 that makes the system fun & interesting instead of a boring slog like real d&d 5e is

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

thankfully no, they're got a bunch of homebrew/house rules implemented into BG3 that makes the system fun & interesting instead of a boring slog like real d&d 5e is

Thank gently caress than Larian realizes how poo poo D&D system is, especially for computer games, and actually do something to make it a fun computer game rather than a poor attempt at porting D&D.

I would be disappointed in them if they did anything else. After all DOS2 has easily the most fun turn-based combat in any RPG ever.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

its a pretty faithful port of 5e with some balance tweaks

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is the ToME on steam the same ToME that used to be Troubles of Middle Earth and used to be PernAngband before that?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

Is the ToME on steam the same ToME that used to be Troubles of Middle Earth and used to be PernAngband before that?

Yes but it's ToME 4 now.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Saddens me to see pro tier series Baldurs Gate equated with fail tier copy and paste dungeon lay outs dragon age

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Looking at the INDIE Live Expo and man there is some weird stuff on display here even by Steam festival standards (immediate stand outs are: "What if we took a bunch of reincarnator/isekai tropes and shoved them into some kind of Suikoden game", Ancient Sumerian Archon, and Polandball: The Platformer), but you certainly can't complain that they aren't giving half of these games away for basically nothing.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 1, 2023

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

FastestGunAlive posted:

Saddens me to see pro tier series Baldurs Gate equated with fail tier copy and paste dungeon lay outs dragon age

I preordered 2 and this is why I've not preordered since.

I liked origins as well :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jossar posted:

Looking at the INDIE Live Expo and man there is some weird stuff on display here even by Steam festival standards (immediate stand outs are: "What if we took a bunch of reincarnator/isekai tropes and shoved them into some kind of Suikoden game", Ancient Sumerian BattleChess, and Polandball: The Platformer), but you certainly can't complain that they aren't giving half of these games away for basically nothing.

an adventure game following Giovanni, the boy with the lowest human score in the universe,

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
villainesses are cool but that is some amazingly awful looking combat.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Hwurmp posted:

an adventure game following Giovanni, the boy with the lowest human score in the universe,

I'm of mixed minds on Boyhood's End. It's a dumb premise, but man are those some high end production values. Kinda wish the developer hired a storyboard person to round things out.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Every now and then I get a hankering to try a proper rougelike, but they never stick.

On top of Qud being really good, one of the main devs is a goon and seems cool

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I see this Road 96 game on the August Humble Choice (:siren:which also has Disco Elysium:siren:) and wanted to know how it is. It also made me realize that I want a good road trip game, so any additional recommendations on that front would be good. Kentucky Route Zero is on my list, to just pre-empt that recommendation.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

I really liked it, can't say exactly why. It's pretty chill to play?

Played through it on xbox gamepass, and recently bought it in a bundle and played through it again on my steam deck. I normally finish maybe 1 in 20 games I play if that so it definitely did something for me. It's definitely more story than game though, but I obviously didn't mind.

Sterf fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 1, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

GrandpaPants posted:

I see this Road 96 game on the August Humble Choice (:siren:which also has Disco Elysium:siren:) and wanted to know how it is. It also made me realize that I want a good road trip game, so any additional recommendations on that front would be good. Kentucky Route Zero is on my list, to just pre-empt that recommendation.

Road 96 is a pretty cool and unique game. I'd describe it as a narrative adventure roguelike, where you play as a handful of unnamed teenage refugees attempting to flee a failing dystopian state before the next election. You run into the same half dozen characters along the way, some comical some tragic, with enough variety in their storylines that you're unlikely to ever see them all in a single run of the game. There's some extremely light survival mechanics and a few choice & consequence-based decisions. It is EXTREMELY low budget and looks it, but the performances and soundtrack are enough to carry the experience. I liked it a lot.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Foulbrood posted:

Having read almost nothing about it until now, can anyone give me a tl;dr on the hype surrounding Baldur’s Gate 3?

Is it going to be more Dragon Age than Pathfinder mechanically? Never played Larian’s Divinity games.

its more like pathfinder because its a dnd game, like baldurs gate 1 and 2 were, though it's a newer version of dnd

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The sequences with the offputting driver in Road 96 are genuinely some of the most uncomfortable and freaked out I have ever been in a game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

good uncomfortable and freaked out, or bad uncomfortable and freaked out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

good uncomfortable and freaked out, or bad uncomfortable and freaked out

Mostly the former but a bit of the latter. I can't even entirely explain why it just really got under my skin.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

There's Jalopy if you're in the mood for some very Eastern Europe vibe and don't mind low poly.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Serephina posted:

Qud started out with Frank Herbert's Dune, and decided that wasn't loving bonkers enough and so they dropped a bunch of acid and wrote the rest of it. Seriously, read the descriptions on things:

I love the Sultan lore as well, a snippet of what I've learned about one Sultan in my current run from looking at engravings and statues:

My current character has replaced his legs with treads and his hands with metal fists and I go around speeding into things and bludgeoning them to death. CoQ is very good.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

FishMcCool posted:

There's Jalopy if you're in the mood for some very Eastern Europe vibe and don't mind low poly.

Also The Long Drive and Road to Salvation if you don't mind some serious jank

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

OgNar posted:

That is... ifst thoust canst livest thatst longst

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

FishMcCool posted:

For even more jank, from the same developer there's Landlord's Super

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kerbtree posted:

Kind of but not really.

Troubles of Middle Earth is ToME2. ToME4 is a completely separate game in a new engine. It's very different, aside from having the same developer and sharing a few parts of the skill tree.

The last version of ToME2 that DarkGod (the tome4 dev) released was v2.3.5 in 2008, however it's open source and a a fork is still being somewhat developed. (You will have to be a big enough nerd to compile it yourself if you wanna play, though)

I beat morgoth in tome 2.3.5 once but died in the postgame -- "Killed by being undead too long on dungeon level 679"
I still had the game around and opened it for the first time since 2017 to get this scoreboard screenshot.

and here's what it looks like during gameplay: