Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

Phlebas is the first, obviously, but if I'm introducing someone to the series I point them to Player of Games first

yeah this, Player of Games does a better job of introducing the Culture and Minds and Special Circumstances. Phlebas just feels like wacky sci-fi poo poo without some of that context, it's much better if it's not the first one your read imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

shyduck posted:

When I was 5 or 6 I thought I was insane, but I'm 52 and very rich, but also still insane

he was very rich when he was 5, now he’s simply the richest man on earth

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

shyduck posted:

Elon is apparently anti-Adderall and calls it an "anger amplifier"

that’s kind of surprising, most people like him think it’s like brain pills or something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

shyduck posted:

well it is an amphetamine

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://www.drugs.com/comments/methamphetamine/

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

shyduck posted:

the vomiting is a feature

A stomach feature

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I completely believe Elon probably took a relatively high dose of unprescribed Adderall for funsies and got angry

He also has a thing against Wellbutrin for some reason

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Maed posted:

don't lump that fucktard in with us, if he was adhd then all those uppers he takes would calm him down and make him actually do some work instead of whatever the gently caress he does. whenever I tried cocaine I was so confused cause it didn't make me euphoric or any of those effects, just made me clean my apartment finally

I thought ketamine was Elon's drug of choice? That's a downer isn't it?

Whenever I get the "brain exploding with ideas" thing, it's usually because I'm actively avoiding dealing with something urgent.

Side note, you've just given me the most appealing case for trying cocaine I've ever heard.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

I still believe that his elementary teachers were correct and he has some sort of cognitive issue beyond “grew up rich.” Being rich exacerbated the problem but I don’t think he’s capable of understanding things correctly. His obsession with X for 20+ years is not just someone holding onto a bad idea, it’s him being incapable of processing it’s a bad idea. The man has legitimately never had a good idea.

Years of brain altering drugs have only made this worse.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Elon rules. Stay mad y'all

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

shyduck posted:

He also has a thing against Wellbutrin for some reason
it was the psychiatrists who made his exes/kids hate him

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Kill Dozed posted:

Ya, but Dark Forest has that weird subplot where Luo Ji makes the government go out and bring him his perfect waifu

yeah, a definite negative there, lots of words about that.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

someone please help elon end his mental torture

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Player of games is good.

yospos posted:

Gurgeh stared at the space chess. He considered moving the space king over to the space rook, but then he didn't. Instead, he moved it to the right. He nodded. The robot flew over, and said something snippy. Gurgeh chuckled, then sighed. "Robot," he said, "please fly away." The robot made a light from its head and then flew away.

Gurgeh stared at the board. He reflected that the best games were the games that were so hard. And that what this game was. Where would he move the space piece next?

"Well, Gurgeh!" harrumphed the space alien. "Perhaps now you see that the game is so hard?" Gurgeh nodded. The game was so hard. That night, he thought about the space board. He glanded a drug that made the game less hard, but even then, it was still so hard. Gurgeh was immortal and rich, but still he didn't want to lose, because it would be better to win. But the game was so hard.

The robot flew over. "Gurgeh!" said the robot. If you don't win, there will be a space murder, and maybe a space rape!" Gurgeh was appalled. "I must win the space game," he said. He sighed.

The next day, the alien bragged: "I will win the space game! I am the best at winning the space game!" Gurgeh sighed. But then Gurgeh saw what he would do: instead of moving the space piece to the left, he would move it forward. The alien was so surprised. "But... but the game is supposed to be so hard!" But Gurgeh was very smart. He moved the piece again, and in a way that was so smart.

"NOOOOO," shouted the space alien. Gurgeh had made the best move. He had made the best space move. The robot congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. "Well," thought Gurgeh, "I will have sex with her. I am, after all... THE PLAYER OF GAMES."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thank you now I don’t have to read it

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Player of games is good.

ok this made me laugh.

I'm actually in the middle of reading the culture series right now (just started Look to Windward) and I will say that without a doubt Consider Phlebas was the weakest of all the books I've read in the series, which is a shame because that's technically the first one and could turn people off the rest. I would agree people should start with Player of Games but maybe not after the quoted synopsis lol.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

MockingQuantum posted:

yeah this, Player of Games does a better job of introducing the Culture and Minds and Special Circumstances. Phlebas just feels like wacky sci-fi poo poo without some of that context, it's much better if it's not the first one your read imo

This is the advice I followed. Started with Player of Games and then jumped into Use of Weapons. That one is probably my favorite out of all of them. Finding what the Chair was and who the Chairmaker was hit me hard.

Excession really demonstrates how sociopathic the Minds can be. You literally have one ship Mind nicknamed Meatfucker because it likes to look into the minds of people it seems bad. Doing that is no-no in the Culture hence the nickname. Surface Detail also has a sociopathic Mind, but in its defense, it’s a warship and designed to be that way. It takes over some dude’s body (with his permission) and just abuses the hell out of the body.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Saltpowered posted:

I still believe that his elementary teachers were correct and he has some sort of cognitive issue beyond “grew up rich.” Being rich exacerbated the problem but I don’t think he’s capable of understanding things correctly. His obsession with X for 20+ years is not just someone holding onto a bad idea, it’s him being incapable of processing it’s a bad idea. The man has legitimately never had a good idea.

Years of brain altering drugs have only made this worse.

He very well could be genuinely autistic or have some other cluster of learning disabilities

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Player of games is good.

Sounds like a Rick and Morty ep

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/X/status/1686220344040828928?s=20

quote:

Free expression is fundamental to a healthy functioning global society – and if it’s taken away, it’s almost impossible to get back. That’s why we will continue to stand up for people’s rights, including the over half a billion of you who turn to our platform continually.

Free expression and platform safety are not at odds. Despite our continued progress, the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) and its backers have been actively working to assert false and misleading claims about X and actively working to prevent public dialogue.

That’s why X has filed a legal claim against the CCDH and its backers.

Read more about it here: https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/c
lmao

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

“You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same” - Elon Musk

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Ancient Man survived without treating his mental illnesses and there's none more masculine than Elon

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Just a Moron posted:

He very well could be genuinely autistic or have some other cluster of learning disabilities

Maybe, but he doesn't have some of the hallmarks of autism spectrum like difficulty in making eye contact or conversing with people; hyper fixation on a topic; or dislike of being touched.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I just ran my rear end off for like a year. and within a month of running my rear end off I found I was no longer needing to chew half a bottle of Tums a day. pretty easy

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Diabetic posted:

He doesn't know/understand that people have ideas all the time, they just don't say them because they're not loving stupid.

recently listened to the Behind the Bastards on the Dilbert guy and he had the same problem. Basically they are ‘self-taught’ in that they are completely incurious, don’t take advice or read anything, and so every idea they have is the first time it’s happened and they’re special for thinking it.

Tack on early success or dumb luck and they’re set for life and have no reason to change.

It’s probably why that guy was on twitter recently begging rich tech bros to take ANY liberal arts course. It’s humbling to realize people much smarter than you have been thinking poo poo through for a long time

Durf has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Aug 1, 2023

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I thought "consider phlebas" was just an ironic Greek way to say "remember sailor", shows how cultured (lack thereof) I am

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
oh my god

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Durf posted:

“You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same” - Elon Musk

lol I owned and wore this tshirt stop it

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe, but he doesn't have some of the hallmarks of autism spectrum like difficulty in making eye contact or conversing with people; hyper fixation on a topic; or dislike of being touched.

Yeah I was just thinking of his fixation on 'X' but that can easily just be immaturity and spite.

If I wanted to be charitable I would say the rest of that stuff can be masked, but I don't so I won't.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 358 days!

shyduck posted:

it turned me into a highly capable lunatic who was pissed off all of the time, elon is right :cheerdoge:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

adderall is plain amphetamine - desoxyn is legal meth tho

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
my internal mental torture is also high

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Durf posted:

he's right

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

nice amish paradise phase

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Couldn't they just counter with an anti-SLAAP claim?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Horseshoe theory posted:

Couldn't they just counter with an anti-SLAAP claim?

Here's the letter they sent back.

https://counterhate.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Letter-to-A.-Spiro-from-R.-Kaplan-re-CCDH.pdf

And the good part (CW for spoilered section)

quote:

As you know, CCDH recently published an article concerning the proliferation of hate speech on Twitter and the company’s failure to address it. That article involved CCDH’s review of 100 hateful tweets that contained racist, homophobic, neo-Nazi, antisemitic, or conspiracy content—i.e., content that plainly violates Twitter’s own policies in this regard. One tweet, for example, stated that “black culture has done more damage [than] the [Ku Klux] [K]lan ever did.”

Another referenced the white supremacist ideology known as “replacement theory,” claiming that “[t]he Jewish Mafia wants to replace us all with brown people.” And yet another explicitly encouraged violence against the LGBTQ+ community, suggesting that LGBTQ+ rights activists need “IRON IN THEIR DIET. Preferably from a #AFiringSquad.” CCDH staff reported all 100 tweets using Twitter’s own designated reporting tool. Four days later, 99 of the 100 tweets identified by CCDH remained available on Twitter.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Just a Moron posted:

Yeah I was just thinking of his fixation on 'X' but that can easily just be immaturity and spite.

If I wanted to be charitable I would say the rest of that stuff can be masked, but I don't so I won't.

There are interviews with Errol where he says that teachers told him something was wrong with Elon and that he stared off into space, didn’t interact with others, and was very awkward as a child. The teachers suggested that Errol have Elon evaluated and maybe put in a more appropriate settings. Errol said gently caress that and moved to a different school/did other things.

Now Errol is a lying piece of poo poo but it’s pretty believable that Elon had some issues when younger and instead of being treated he was just encouraged to hide it all.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the quantum leap gif but instead of scott bakula it's elon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Lucas is the best to ever do it, Elon could never