Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tirade posted:

Anyone give Aliens: Dark Descent a go? Any good?

Played it on PC and absolutely loved it. Hard recommend if you even faintly like Aliens. Not sure how it goes on controller is my only misgiving.

E: I recommend it if you like squad tactics/xcom lite stuff too, but it's very much one for the aliens enjoyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

JBP posted:

Played it on PC and absolutely loved it. Hard recommend if you even faintly like Aliens. Not sure how it goes on controller is my only misgiving.

E: I recommend it if you like squad tactics/xcom lite stuff too, but it's very much one for the aliens enjoyer.

Awesome, I'll give it a go. The setting and concept was 100% my vibe, my only concern was execution.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

JBP posted:

oh dude, I thought it was a 4 player coop shooter? There was a tactical rts aliens game on the og xbox I loved. I should give it a look.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s wild how that game totally slipped under the radar. It seems like a good time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

oh dude, I thought it was a 4 player coop shooter? There was a tactical rts aliens game on the og xbox I loved. I should give it a look.

You control a squad of marines and they move as a single blob. It can be frustrating not getting an angle on the right weapons sometimes but none of the minor problems with the game dampened my enjoyment of it. Some of the systems and stuff feel a little basic, but as I said didn't hurt my enjoyment at all. When things get spicy and you're directing suppressing fire and a flamethrower to cover while you get a sentry up it absolutely rules.

Game is super atmospheric too.

The coop one is Aliens Fireteam Elite (I think) which is meant to be just ok.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

You control a squad of marines and they move as a single blob. It can be frustrating not getting an angle on the right weapons sometimes but none of the minor problems with the game dampened my enjoyment of it. Some of the systems and stuff feel a little basic, but as I said didn't hurt my enjoyment at all. When things get spicy and you're directing suppressing fire and a flamethrower to cover while you get a sentry up it absolutely rules.

Def gonna grab this on sale, it sounded like it needed a few patches at release but it looks really fun.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

JBP posted:

I agree with all of this. Game is difficult as well. poo poo can go so, so wrong in like no time. I really enjoyed it.

EDIT: It also had me yelling at my screen. People saying "This is your mission objective" and me yelling at my TV "You can go gently caress yourself!" :v: I meant it too! :suicide: It was great!

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 1, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

JBP posted:

Reminds me a little of Aliens vs Predator extinction for the original xbox. I bought it way back in the day thinking it'd be like the PC shooters and got a top-down strategy game instead

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Muting the beep is a start, even if I'd never do it. What I really want is the ability to make the LED glow blue when the PS5 is running not white. White is so booooring.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I want the LEDs to flash red when I get a critical hit or do a wicked parry

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
It should sprout out flames from the top when you do a dodge counter with the beserk ring on

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Armored Core Review just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUbg7bj2mmg

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Another proud voice of the homeland. A single tear rolls down me cheek

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

haha that's the best vid i've seen all day, and i've seen a lot of them today

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

PS+ Essential games for August 2023 are available now! (Aug 1 - Sep 4)

PGA Tour 2K23 | PS4, PS5 | MSRP $99.99 By Grabthar's Hammer what a savings
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1001-PPSA04390_00-PGA2K23CROSSBUY0

Dreams | PS4 | MSRP $19.99
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA08010_00-DREAMS0000000000

Death's Door | PS4, PS5 | MSRP $19.99
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP3643-PPSA05303_00-2564955967631989

Don't forget Dreams also includes the new Media Molecule game releasing today, Tren.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Deaths Door is a fun time too

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Given this is the year of the jrpg this is a fun read

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/introduction-to-saga?utm_source=sqex-social&utm_content=SaGaFrontier&utm_campaign=SummerofSaGa

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Cant believe we're living in a post ff16 timeline and we're just supposed to carry on as normal

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sorry, I'm working on the first Pathfinder game. The controls take some getting used to.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/_Yuka_Kitamura_/status/1686310082349588480?s=20

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Release SaGa Frontier II Remaster already you cowards

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

bentacos posted:

:hmmyes:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Well friends, this is a busy week for me and I haven't had much time to game, tho I have been able to sneak in a few turns of civ6 before work and in lunch. In the spirit of the Year of the RPG from Japan I assure you that I am currently playing as Japan with the intent to win the game with the Power of the RPG by going for a culture victory by spamming Japan's unique building which provides both production and culture - the electronics factory :japan:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Well friends, this is a busy week for me and I haven't had much time to game, tho I have been able to sneak in a few turns of civ6 before work and in lunch. In the spirit of the Year of the RPG from Japan I assure you that I am currently playing as Japan with the intent to win the game with the Power of the RPG by going for a culture victory by spamming Japan's unique building which provides both production and culture - the electronics factory :japan:

I hope you will hold down the fort next Sunday because I won't be able to watch Veegy's final Xenogears stream! :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bentacos posted:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

This PGA game is pretty great. I appreciate the swing control options. There’s a good set of options for micro managing your shots. The commentary team is really chill and good. I do not care for the long load times in the menu as the game tries to serve ads for the shop. Not gonna complain about the price!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

fridge corn posted:

I get told off by fridgelina everytime she hears that beep :kiddo:

Tell her it’s that or the Xbox’s ridiculous house-shaking startup sound :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aliens dark descent was on sale so I grabbed it. Game seems pretty rad so far. Kind of a unique hybrid of rts x-com and hide and seek

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

veni veni veni posted:

Aliens dark descent was on sale so I grabbed it. Game seems pretty rad so far. Kind of a unique hybrid of rts x-com and hide and seek

I heard the XCOM comparisons, but didn’t realize it was real time. That’s actually pretty appealing as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s like an rts but you also have action points and the game freezes or slows down while you are picking special stuff to use (nades, shotgun etc. )

I’m pretty early on but I’m digging it. Seems like kind of unique take on the genre. The mix of real time and tactics seems cool

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fort Solis is out on the 22nd, just in time to be absolutely demolished by AC6 and Blasphemous II. This is PC footage but apparently PS5 has console exclusivity for the moment. Looks like adventure/horror, Firewatch crossed with Moon maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmiJPojIzuo

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Cant believe we're living in a post ff16 timeline and we're just supposed to carry on as normal

I know. I'm part timing a ng+ run but fighting the urge to watch the cutscenes and end up with a 60hr playthrough again.

On the side I've picked up zero time dilemma - I loved the first two. Initial vibe it isn't sitting as well with me, but it might be because the 3d models look like a bag of poo poo and the structure is seemingly designed to avoid giving you a hook.
Still going to finish it, I bet the ending is nonsense and a fun ride.
I've gone from noted PS5 exclusive, to smearing a butt ugly Nintendo DS game across my tv. The contrast is upsetting but necessary, nothing would hold up anyway so why not lean in.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

pumped up for school posted:

I was so happy it was the same beep for PS5 as PS4. Every Sunday that I'm at home, I'd get up early, feed & walk dogs, make coffee, and settle in for a couple of hours of gaming before the world woke up. The old dog associated "beep means we're parking on the couch for a while". He'd come trotting every time. That was our bro time.

This makes me happy :) dogs are the best

My dog knows the PS menu sound, the one when you hit the PS button on the controller, because that's usually when I pause or end my evening gaming session and get her dinner ready. I try not to hit it otherwise because I don't want to tease her with it :3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I hope you will hold down the fort next Sunday because I won't be able to watch Veegy's final Xenogears stream! :negative:

Is he that close to finishing? Less than six hours left? That kinda snuck up on me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Is he that close to finishing? Less than six hours left? That kinda snuck up on me

He's at the final dungeon which is fairly lengthy but yea, prolly 6 hours give or take plus cutscenes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Oh you know ill be there :patriot:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Went running yesterday. It had rained earlier in the day and the field was a bit damp but also full of slugs!! Hundreds of slugs!!! Thought of veeg :3:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
the pavement on the way to my bus stop is between two copses of trees and it's just full of slug corpses after it rains and it makes me so sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

cubicle gangster posted:

On the side I've picked up zero time dilemma - I loved the first two. Initial vibe it isn't sitting as well with me, but it might be because the 3d models look like a bag of poo poo and the structure is seemingly designed to avoid giving you a hook.
Still going to finish it, I bet the ending is nonsense and a fun ride.
I've gone from noted PS5 exclusive, to smearing a butt ugly Nintendo DS game across my tv. The contrast is upsetting but necessary, nothing would hold up anyway so why not lean in.

You are gonna have a wild ride

People who didn't like ZTD just don't know how to have fun. Strap in, pal :parrot: