Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

While not impossible, high-siding on a low powered bike seems really unlikely to me.
Unless something is very wrong with your suspension or the track surface, the rear isn’t going to brake loose under power. That said, I too do not want to high side. At the track the other day I had to keep pushing myself to open the throttle more and more each lap through the medium speed corners. I think just build it up gradually, and you will be ok! You can still low side though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Is this the friend whose fairing keeps mysteriously falling off while he's riding about?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

While not impossible, high-siding on a low powered bike seems really unlikely to me.
Unless something is very wrong with your suspension or the track surface, the rear isn’t going to brake loose under power. That said, I too do not want to high side. At the track the other day I had to keep pushing myself to open the throttle more and more each lap through the medium speed corners. I think just build it up gradually, and you will be ok! You can still low side though.

It's very hard to do yeah, it helps that smaller bikes have stability-biased geometry (skinny tyres already turn fast, skinny bikes don't need to run sharp lines) so if it does step out you can contain it easily most of the time.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

One of you guys recently took the Coho ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles. I'm booked on it tomorrow. Did you arrive the 90 minutes prior to boarding that they recommend for US immigration? That seems a lot, but at the same time I don't want to miss it for being lazy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Finger Prince posted:

One of you guys recently took the Coho ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles. I'm booked on it tomorrow. Did you arrive the 90 minutes prior to boarding that they recommend for US immigration? That seems a lot, but at the same time I don't want to miss it for being lazy.

paper bag testing and potential follow-up questioning can take time.

Sorry, last time I took a ferry from BC to WA was 2014. I am useless.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Finger Prince posted:

I showed up 60 minutes to sailing time and shot the poo poo with other riders for 15 minutes before any kind of immigration stuff even started happened. The guy at the booth said 30 minutes would be cutting it close, but 45 minutes is fine. I recommend getting some Egg McMuffins before boarding because the food on the Coho is bleak.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

I showed up 60 minutes to sailing time and shot the poo poo with other riders for 15 minutes before any kind of immigration stuff even started happened. The guy at the booth said 30 minutes would be cutting it close, but 45 minutes is fine. I recommend getting some Egg McMuffins before boarding because the food on the Coho is bleak.

Perfect, that's what I needed to know, thanks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

An hour was plenty. The last bike rocked up at 45 minutes to departure, I was second last. Debating whether to take an hour and a half detour to head up to hurricane ridge after I grab some lunch. Trouble is it'll get me in to Seattle right at rush hour if I do that. I'm only going from the Edmonds ferry down to U district though so shouldn't be too terrible.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Finger Prince posted:

An hour was plenty. The last bike rocked up at 45 minutes to departure, I was second last. Debating whether to take an hour and a half detour to head up to hurricane ridge after I grab some lunch. Trouble is it'll get me in to Seattle right at rush hour if I do that. I'm only going from the Edmonds ferry down to U district though so shouldn't be too terrible.

The ferries that I've been on have what I consider little league/stadium food. Popcorn, hot dogs, pretzels etc. I've never had a poor experience but I accept the level of filth I'm willing to put into my body. If you're not comfortable eating corn dogs, maybe don't eat on the boat.

Hurricane ridge is awesome but the lodge burned to the ground this year so check beforehand because last I knew they were limiting traffic up there because of the bathroom situation (porta potties) not being able to accommodate all the traffic.

For what it's worth, edmonds to u district will be an awful ride at rush hour on i5. It's not a long distance on the highway but it will be gridlocked going south. It always is around that time. Look at Google to see if they're a better route. 99 or 15th might be easier.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Verman posted:

The ferries that I've been on have what I consider little league/stadium food. Popcorn, hot dogs, pretzels etc. I've never had a poor experience but I accept the level of filth I'm willing to put into my body. If you're not comfortable eating corn dogs, maybe don't eat on the boat.

Hurricane ridge is awesome but the lodge burned to the ground this year so check beforehand because last I knew they were limiting traffic up there because of the bathroom situation (porta potties) not being able to accommodate all the traffic.

For what it's worth, edmonds to u district will be an awful ride at rush hour on i5. It's not a long distance on the highway but it will be gridlocked going south. It always is around that time. Look at Google to see if they're a better route. 99 or 15th might be easier.

I stuffed myself with tacos in Port Angeles and decided I really wasn't up for a really technical ride up and down a mountain, followed by 3 hours to Seattle, I just wanted a leisurely cruise.
The tacos:

I ended up taking the 99. Was a bit lovely with the stop lights, but the sex worker's antics made it interesting. I passed someone on a turquoise and black MT03/07 waving enthusiastically at every other rider... So which one of you was it?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Don't doxx me

got home from work on the VStrom, went to the dispo on the Monkey. Love riding those two back to back

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Sorry for the moon language link, but I could not find a better source. Video from one of the more known fun mountain passes in Norway today. Helmet cam as small rock fall hits a group of riders.

https://www.nrk.no/mr/video-av-steinras-som-treffer-motorsyklister-i-trollstigen-i-rauma-1.16501795

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know how many people watch Itchy Boots here, but she destroyed her clutch in Liberia, got towed by a bike to Ivory Coast, and then had some local mechanic completely tear down the engine of her CRF Rally, clean it, rebuild the whole clutch assembly and then put it back together, basically in a parking lot where she is staying. They literally were pulling out pieces of the clutch plates that broke off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05NiTpy-tfg

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
When my Monkey blew the piston, I picked out pieces of piston top from the transmission gears. It was amazing

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
That mud she was riding through while utterly destroying that clutch was insane. Trucks stuck for weeks in it and only 2 wheeled vehicles could kind of, sort of get through.

She had them do all that work while using her phone to translate when she couldn’t find a common language to go into detail in.

The sheer number of times I would 100% have given up this season have been insane.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

That mud she was riding through while utterly destroying that clutch was insane. Trucks stuck for weeks in it and only 2 wheeled vehicles could kind of, sort of get through.

She had them do all that work while using her phone to translate when she couldn’t find a common language to go into detail in.

The sheer number of times I would 100% have given up this season have been insane.

Yeah buddy I've also traveled through Eastern Oregon

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Geekboy posted:

I just can't believe they made it through the mud, it was insane, I have never seen a road like that being used as a main road and people just stuck there for weeks. The amount of help she got this season is amazing. Just this one sequence from the mud in Liberia, where someone rides the bile through it for her (and kills her clutch) to the guy who stopped and towed her, to the brother who towed her to Ivory Coast, and then the truck that took her from the border to the city, and then the mechanics, just a string of luck (and time I guess, it's sometimes hard to tell how long this is taking).

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah buddy I've also traveled through Eastern Oregon

My family is from Appalachia, so I speak the language well enough out there.

We stopped at a little middle of nowhere place for lunch and I did all the talking. When we were leaving, we remarked that the food was better than expected and agreed the other two (brown) folks in our little family should never return unless the white guy who code switches rural is along.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Supradog posted:

Sorry for the moon language link, but I could not find a better source. Video from one of the more known fun mountain passes in Norway today. Helmet cam as small rock fall hits a group of riders.

https://www.nrk.no/mr/video-av-steinras-som-treffer-motorsyklister-i-trollstigen-i-rauma-1.16501795

Youch. :sweatdrop:

Geekboy posted:

That's what blows my mind a little with these long term adventurers, their ability to roll with the punches is pretty incredible.

2Fast2Nutricious fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 2, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Have anyone here tried grip puppies?

https://grip-puppy.com/

I’m looking at an alternative to shelling out about 500 usd for the worn left rubber grip on the vfr. It’s Honda Oem heated grip, and the button is integrated in the left grip + they only sell the whole kit with controller, not only the left grip..

Supradog fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 2, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have them on my bike and zero issues with heated grips. Heat comes through as expected. That said, my grip button isn't integrated INTO the grip so I suppose I can't really comment on the extra bulk would affect your ability to push the button. I doubt it would be a big issue but obviously no experience with that.

Going to install them on my DRZ as well once I get around to it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Just got home from doing two back to back ARC days on track at Pitt with Total Control. This was my first time on track. (other than a single track day in a car 10 years ago)

1. To nobody's surprise track time on a bike fuckin rules
2. I learned SO much
3. I have SO MUCH to learn still

I took the 390 so I could focus on the basics without getting overwhelmed with speed, and it was absolutely the right decision. Yes I got passed a lot but who cares.

Lee Parks was coaching the fast group and I got to eat lunch with him both days. Great dude, gave me some really good tips as a newbie to the track. The coaches were all A+.

It's absurd that this is free in PA and anyone who lives here and doesn't take advantage is truly missing out. I went with a bunch of buddies and we had an absolute blast, camped out at the track both days.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

opengl posted:

It's absurd that this is free in PA and anyone who lives here and doesn't take advantage is truly missing out

What.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

opengl posted:

Just got home from doing two back to back ARC days on track at Pitt with Total Control. This was my first time on track. (other than a single track day in a car 10 years ago)

2. I learned SO much

I took the 390 so I could focus on the basics without getting overwhelmed with speed, and it was absolutely the right decision. Yes I got passed a lot but who cares.

Lee Parks was coaching the fast group and I got to eat lunch with him both days. Great dude, gave me some really good tips as a newbie to the track. The coaches were all A+.

It's absurd that this is free in PA and anyone who lives here and doesn't take advantage is truly missing out. I went with a bunch of buddies and we had an absolute blast, camped out at the track both days.

Looks awesome. What did the track time for the weekend cost, if you dont mind me asking? I am looking at getting into bike track days next summer. Ive got lots of car experience, but no bikes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Looks awesome. What did the track time for the weekend cost, if you dont mind me asking? I am looking at getting into bike track days next summer. Ive got lots of car experience, but no bikes.

MSF/training courses are free to PA residents. I don't think that's the case in any other state. I think if you had to pay for this they said it would be $4-500/day.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I did the basic MSF course when I was learning to ride. 100% free, and they hand you your license when you pass. It rules and I'd love to do the higher level courses some day, I didn't know those were also free.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

opengl posted:

MSF/training courses are free to PA residents. I don't think that's the case in any other state. I think if you had to pay for this they said it would be $4-500/day.

Wait, youre saying a trackday course with instructors for 2 days was paid by tax dollars!?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

PaintVagrant posted:

Wait, youre saying a trackday course with instructors for 2 days was paid by tax dollars!?

This is the future Liberals want

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Yup. Well technically it comes out of the $5/yr every PA resident pays to renew their MC endorsement.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

TheBacon posted:

This is the future Liberals want

Hells yes, hail satan

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

opengl posted:

2. I learned SO much

:hellyeah:

Do you still think you're going to get rid of the 390, or has this inspired you to keep it around for the track (until it explodes)? That's amazing it's free. The Basic Rider Course in California is $250. When I first moved here I wanted to get a bike, but I was broke as a joke, and the $250 was just something I couldn't afford. I guess that means I couldn't afford a bike either, though :smith:

PaintVagrant posted:

Out here track days are as low as $150 (Thunderhill at the "cheap" provider) to as much as $600 for a 105dB day at Laguna Seca. Even Sonoma is $400 now. I feel like it used to be $300. Anyway, that's just the ticket. If you have a truck or a van, then that helps, but if not, factor in another $200 or so for that, plus your running costs at the track (mostly tires, but fuel too). I mentally budget around $500 per day.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

opengl posted:

2. I learned SO much

I live in York and am taking the Intermediate in a week, but would absolutely take a week long vacation to Pittsburgh to do this

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

Out here track days are as low as $150 (Thunderhill at the "cheap" provider) to as much as $600 for a 105dB day at Laguna Seca. Even Sonoma is $400 now. I feel like it used to be $300. Anyway, that's just the ticket. If you have a truck or a van, then that helps, but if not, factor in another $200 or so for that, plus your running costs at the track (mostly tires, but fuel too). I mentally budget around $500 per day.

This is giving me flashbacks to trying to budget out rally racing and then some Polish guy telling me you can just dig people's decent old tires out of the garbage bin in kart racing lol

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

PaintVagrant posted:

Oh poo poo have we found the angle for radicalizing the maga track day bros :sickos:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

metallicaeg posted:

I live in York and am taking the Intermediate in a week, but would absolutely take a week long vacation to Pittsburgh to do this

I drove 5.5hrs from Philly and it was 100% worth it.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

opengl posted:

I drove 5.5hrs from Philly and it was 100% worth it.

Oh nice. My parents live in between Bedford and Somerset, so I've headed out that way a few times now on the bike. Did you take 30 out or boring rear end 76?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

metallicaeg posted:

Oh nice. My parents live in between Bedford and Somerset, so I've headed out that way a few times now on the bike. Did you take 30 out or boring rear end 76?

76 the whole way, I rode up with a buddy in a Crosstrek which was at or over capacity so we wanted the simplest route possible. Some of the hills were a workout for that little thing pulling two bikes and a full load of camping junk.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

opengl posted:

Yup. Well technically it comes out of the $5/yr every PA resident pays to renew their MC endorsement.

:aaaaa:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Excuse you I just paid an additional $115 on my tabs to subsidize public transport and you get what…for what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm wondering how something like that ever passed. It's awesome

I just thought of an analogue: in Washington State, hunting and fishing license fees pay for youth Hunting safety education