Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

He may have it

Did you forget to check what you had saved on your clipboard before you fixed this because lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Did you forget to check what you had saved on your clipboard before you fixed this because lmao

yeah it was for the twitter thread lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phils got Lorenzen

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

The Mets aren't some secret that we can figure out. It just didn't work. Injuries, chemistry, bad luck. Its all just luck sometimes. They won 101 games last year. They're not crap. But baseball is weird and fickle and long and chaotic. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Its only notable because there was such fanfare about Steve Cohen being the man willing to spend anything to win. And whoops. People forgot it ain't that easy.
it's mostly just old players

Cohen bought a hosed up franchise with rotting player development. He did what he could to improve it immediately, which is throw money at major league free agents. Because of the structure of this sport, that means older players. Older players tend to get hurt more, or just enter decline. That was always the risk of this approach, and it happened.

He's been able to salvage it somewhat by leveraging the money to buy good prospects.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
hell yeah, get after it phillies

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1686460427365142528

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://twitter.com/beckjason/status/1686460563365224448

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

so now that $60m is off the books for next year, does Steve just tack that onto the already allotted $600m for ohtani in the offseason or what

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

So have the Dodgers

if the options are "overpay for a 40 year old Verlander who may or may not still have it" or "dumpster dive for Lance Lynn" I'm not sure either is all that appealing

You take JV over Lynn 100% of the time lmao

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Lee is Philly's #5 prospect? I'm fine with this for a guy that was just a one year flier in the off-season.

Lorenzen seems like a really good dude, so I hope he does well with the Phillies :unsmith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

You take JV over Lynn 100% of the time lmao

I think it's going to come out that it was Houston or nowhere for JV, he had a full no-trade

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sulk better be happy now and to stop....sulking

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

zoux posted:

I think it's going to come out that it was Houston or nowhere for JV, he had a full no-trade

Yes it will most definitely be shown this was the case

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LordDexHinton/status/1686456128710787079

Gilbert is the #36 ranked prospect, Clifford is in the 80s, I have no idea why people (not here) are melting down about this move. I think people just like to go "loving DIPSHIT CRANE"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

prospect hugging is virtually unheard of in these threads

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MrMidnight posted:

Sulk better be happy now and to stop....sulking

Never

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

JV scurred of the Ravine

https://twitter.com/Bnicklaus7/status/1686458809676668928

if they're willing to deal that much then they should get Keller or Cease

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 1, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fans can either complain or be cocky tools. Anything else and you have to be a well rounded person or something.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/Michael_Cerami/status/1686463340749426689?s=20

Don'tknow who this guy is, but he'snot a reporter.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Mariners and Orioles complete their big trade.

https://twitter.com/BenRothstein30/status/1686464002799599616

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Might be best for Mancini to ride into the sunset

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don’t understand how this is a win for the Mariners but it’s pretty small stakes so whatever

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MAKE ROOM FOR ALONSO

Cerami runs Bleacher Nation

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

everyone on twitter thinks JV "jersey swaps" are hilarious and it's making it hard to find how much money the Mets are sending

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

Well the last time Houston traded for Justin Verlander...

What are other instances of a major guy leaving in FA and then immediately getting traded back the next season?

It's not the same thing but it makes me think about how Carlos Delgado was turned off by the Mets' plan to build a Latino superteam so he signed with the Marlins, who promptly traded him to the Mets.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

$54Mil according to Boob

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1686464187076313088

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Might be the #5 prospect, but I never even heard of this guy until right now

Get a bat Dombo

triple sulk posted:

They're doing something and it's called "not making the playoffs"

Giants, Phillies, Marlins, Dbacks, and Brewers are all withing a game of the Wild Cards spots and the Phillies really should be one of the teams that climbs out of this muck

Can include the Reds in here too

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So freaking happy. I get to watch the best pitcher I've ever seen on the Astros play for them for another year and a half. With a team that can easily contend for those two years.

Good trade for the Mets. Both prospects project to be solid corner outfielders (Gilbert likely swings to right field, doesn't have great range for center). It sucks you're rebuilding but it's a good haul.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

cool we can still afford ohtani

e: also that'd 39 not 29

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There is ten million dollars missing from Bob's math

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

ao in the end the Mets paid like $90m for a couple top 50 prospects huh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

that's not a terrible deal tbh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

MAKE ROOM FOR ALONSO

Cerami runs Bleacher Nation

He also seems to have gained some legit industry connections because he has scooped a couple cubs moves over the last year and a half or so, including the Candelario trade yesterday.

I'm shocked the Cubs are actually cutting bait with Mancini, they owe him money next year and I figured they'd just drag his corpse across the finish line and then tout him as a bounceback candidate.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

yeah it's a worse adjective than terrible

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are teams allowed to do cash trades anymore. Like, if Ohtani was on the market, could some owner call up Arte and offer 200 million for Shohei

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

yeah it's a worse adjective than terrible

it's just money :shrug: like bawfuls said, they leveraged their ability to spend to turn older players into prospects that are deeper into their development instead of a draft crapshoot so they'll be able to rebuild much faster

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

One top 50 prospect

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

that's assuming that Cohen has the right people in place to drive that development and actually build a team from what they're growing in the lower leagues. but then again if he's not doing that it really doesn't matter either way, so I get it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

One top 50 prospect

Acuna is also top 50

e: oh maybe not, I'm seeing him at 56

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Eppler's probably going to be a much bigger problem for the Mets than Cohen soon.

It's interesting having an owner who doesn't seem averse to using bloated contracts as stocking horses to swap cash for prospects. We'll see how long the other owners put up with it.