Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Orio posted:

Popped into the BBBY bankruptcy hearing. One of the main comments of the judge was that the bankruptcy plan should be even more explicit that shareholders get nothing lol

lol the stock took a 10% dip (3 whole cents) based on that
https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/BBBYq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
lol the panic in this thread as the price drops.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BBBY/comments/15f3jfr/daily_discussion_thread_august_01_2023/

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rescuing for the new page

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Greetings Fellow Apes, and to the manipulative shorts, gently caress you!

I'm an X,XXX holder, so far, (DRS:Book) working my way up to XXX,XXX,XXX. I just wanted to remind the shorts who lurk on this sub how absolutely hosed they are.

I am digging in for the long haul. I have a very stable job in public service with a pension and make alright money. I am also in professional school and will start earning about 4x my current income in around 2 years. I have just invested some funds into a Dividend paying ETF and will send every penny paid out into GME for the end of time (I am diversifying the tools I use to buy more GME).

On top of this I am a Pro member and spend about $100 a month at GameStop, will bump this up as we go. If GME ever issues a dividend, 100% of that will go to buying more shares and supporting the company.

When this rockets, and I sell a few shares on the way down for no less than the floor, I will spend 5% of the money in my account each day on buying more shares (by using 5% of my account balance I will never run out and will always have buying pressure). A chunk of money from that sale will also go into the dividend paying ETF and all of those dividends will also go to buying more shares of GME. I DON'T CARE WHAT THE PRICE IS. I will DRS:Book everything. I will do this until I own the whole float, THE WHOLE MUTHER loving THING, which is going to be pretty difficult knowing the apes in this community. When I am dead, the trust I set up will keep this going for generations. This will keep GME's stock price nice and healthy so if the company ever needs to raise additional funds they will be in an extremely healthy position.

If GameStop keeps up their part of the deal, I'll keep up mine. This is way bigger than me, this may be the best hope we have at fighting this corrupt system. This is the hill I chose to die on, and there are many, many others like me. I don't care how intelligent of an AI you create to try and weasel out of this, you have already lost.

- You're gonna carry that weight.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lmao

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In all seriousness, if I were a small hedge fund who were short GME bc my stupid bitch overlords told me to be short GME, and I read this post, I would bounce. Close out my short positions at a loss and disconnect my phone. Then when my bitch overlord finally gets through to me and asks me to clarify the rumor he heard that I closed out of my positions I would just keep saying “what??” more and more confused like Tim Robinson in the one person can’t eat all of the nachos sketch. That’s how good and powerful this post is.

gently caress these motherfuckers. I don’t think they can gaslight us forever. And whenever they give up, it’s party time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It appears to be currently trading at 0.28 so dude made some money if he can sell it?

Edit: also holy crap Reddit threads are a terrible medium for following events in real time.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ&t=3s

rough draft.

Nov 6, 2002

Price still falling lol. Apparently this was the last straw for many apes.

Edit: omg now these morons are all buying.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Tbh I do imagine some of those “buying the dip!!” are baiting for exit liquidity.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lmao at the guy boasting he bought 4 shares. You spent a whole dollar, good on you.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Collateral Damage posted:

Lmao at the guy boasting he bought 4 shares. You spent a whole dollar, good on you.

Those shares will go to the MOON though. LMAO at you not buying any

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im bedridden

i took a bath

im ready for the beyond

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

ryde posted:

I really want to see a big meltdown around BBBYQ but I think I’ll be blue balled. The people still holding at this point will probably be still “holding” their cancelled shares years from now and posting about how Cohen is about to bail them out.

Keep hodling on brother, the MOAM (mother of all meltdowns) cometh

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

RE: The evil hedge funds

What happens to shorts after the stock dies? I assume there's no real point in holding a short to much less than a quarter for a fund with real money sloshing around.

Nov 6, 2002

nomad2020 posted:

RE: The evil hedge funds

What happens to shorts after the stock dies? I assume there's no real point in holding a short to much less than a quarter for a fund with real money sloshing around.

nothing, they made 100% profit and don't need to buy anything back

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
I have 132 shares and missed the boat a long time ago

managed to forget but I’ve been using Revolut again on holiday and honestly, I just 🤷‍♂️

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
my hope, as foolish as it may be, is that, someday, no one will fall for this get rich quick bullshit ever again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

https://twitter.com/shortdestroyer/status/1685680150115926016

I put my life savings into a meme stock because of a moon emoji!

This argument is outrageous and if it works the judge would be basically legalizing swindling stupid people.

"Buy these stonks from me they're going to the moon!"
"Your honor I can't have defrauded anyone into buying stocks because I clearly said 'stonks' which is not a real thing anyone can buy so if they went and bought some stock it has nothing to do with me. Also stocks are paper certificates representing ownership in a company, they have no propulsion systems and cannot achieve lunar orbit, no one could infer a claim that stock prices will go up from a figurative story about a lunar expedition."

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

VitalSigns posted:

This argument is outrageous and if it works the judge would be basically legalizing swindling stupid people.

"Your honor I can't have defrauded anyone into buying stocks because I clearly said 'stonks' which is not a real thing anyone can buy so if they went and bought some stock it has nothing to do with me. Also stocks are paper certificates representing ownership in a company, they have no propulsion systems and cannot achieve lunar orbit, no one could infer a claim that stock prices will go up from a figurative story about a lunar expedition."

Swindling stupid people is an American tradition. A moon emoji tweet does fall pretty explicitly under the "immaterial puffery" concept they're referring to though.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

VitalSigns posted:

This is already legal, you just need to be running for office when you do it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

VitalSigns posted:

If you buy my stocks it Minecraft you're going to make 💎💎💎

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Huh it's not the only emoji involved case in the crypto world, a court that ruled an NFT is a security cited some emoji tweets Xes

quote:

Also notable is the court’s finding that the complaint plausibly satisfies the “expectation of profits” prong of Howey by alleging the use of emojis in a handful of Dapper Labs Tweets—the “rocket ship,” “stock chart” and “money bags” emojis. The court said these “objectively mean one thing: a financial return on investment,” even though the Tweets do not use the literal word “profit.”

The “expectation of profits” analysis also relied on other allegations, but the “emojis” discussion is an important reminder that the structure of an NFT project is not all that matters for securities law purposes; it also matters what you say about it and how you say it, even after the initial sale of NFTs.

Very serious investment area for big brained geniuses

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Salt Fish posted:

Greetings Fellow Apes, and to the manipulative shorts, gently caress you!

I'm an X,XXX holder, so far, (DRS:Book) working my way up to XXX,XXX,XXX. I just wanted to remind the shorts who lurk on this sub how absolutely hosed they are.

I am digging in for the long haul. I have a very stable job in public service with a pension and make alright money. I am also in professional school and will start earning about 4x my current income in around 2 years. I have just invested some funds into a Dividend paying ETF and will send every penny paid out into GME for the end of time (I am diversifying the tools I use to buy more GME).

On top of this I am a Pro member and spend about $100 a month at GameStop, will bump this up as we go. If GME ever issues a dividend, 100% of that will go to buying more shares and supporting the company.

When this rockets, and I sell a few shares on the way down for no less than the floor, I will spend 5% of the money in my account each day on buying more shares (by using 5% of my account balance I will never run out and will always have buying pressure). A chunk of money from that sale will also go into the dividend paying ETF and all of those dividends will also go to buying more shares of GME. I DON'T CARE WHAT THE PRICE IS. I will DRS:Book everything. I will do this until I own the whole float, THE WHOLE MUTHER loving THING, which is going to be pretty difficult knowing the apes in this community. When I am dead, the trust I set up will keep this going for generations. This will keep GME's stock price nice and healthy so if the company ever needs to raise additional funds they will be in an extremely healthy position.

If GameStop keeps up their part of the deal, I'll keep up mine. This is way bigger than me, this may be the best hope we have at fighting this corrupt system. This is the hill I chose to die on, and there are many, many others like me. I don't care how intelligent of an AI you create to try and weasel out of this, you have already lost.

- You're gonna carry that weight.

Bitcoin: If GameStop keeps up their part of the deal, I'll keep up mine

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Watch this short sellers, soon I'll be able to buy all of Gamestop on my government middle management salary" doesn't seem like it proves what he thinks it does.

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
You want my financial advice? I think you should buy BBBY. This is not financial advice.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
"This is not financial advice" is basically a spell they think can save them from any consequences.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Eh, puffery is a thing. If a place advertises "we have the best pizza in town", you can't sue them for damages if you've had better pizza elsewhere.

That doesn't mean you can't do a securities fraud, but Cohen's tweet doesn't seem to rise to that level. The class action lawsuit seems to rely on the same nonsense logic we make fun of here - "actually my clients believed this 4 word tweet is a secret winking sign that this heavily indebted rapidly failing company is worth trillions". No, your clients are morons.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
By that logic you can't charge anyone using slang

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I thought it made sense until I saw the emoji he used.

🌝 <- this guy doesn't mean "the stock is going to the moon" (this is the one cohen used)
🌙 <- this one could, depending on the context.

that's my thought on emoji law.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Boxturret posted:

"This is not financial advice" is basically a spell they think can save them from any consequences.

It seems they don't understand that the real world does not function like smart contracts and intent actually matters.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Trillhouse posted:

I thought it made sense until I saw the emoji he used.

🌝 <- this guy doesn't mean "the stock is going to the moon" (this is the one cohen used)
🌙 <- this one could, depending on the context.

that's my thought on emoji law.

I honestly feel the opposite

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

Why does he keep saying this

Are they bragging that they aren’t holding the shares in a margin account in order to keep them from being lent to a short seller?

Is it a different, dumber, thing?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

coolusername posted:

Tbh I do imagine some of those “buying the dip!!” are baiting for exit liquidity.

I'd be shocked if this wasn't what started the whole thing in the first place. Hedge fund managers LARPing as grassroots activists.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Corey Graves, no!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Boxturret posted:

My "this is not financial advice" t-shirt is prompting a lot of questions answered by my t-shirt.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

they should update it to simply say: "lmbos"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Agents are GO! posted:

My "this is not financial advice" t-shirt is prompting a lot of questions answered by my t-shirt.

My drawing of financial advice and the words ceci n'est pas un conseil financier

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

drk posted:

Eh, puffery is a thing. If a place advertises "we have the best pizza in town", you can't sue them for damages if you've had better pizza elsewhere.

That doesn't mean you can't do a securities fraud, but Cohen's tweet doesn't seem to rise to that level. The class action lawsuit seems to rely on the same nonsense logic we make fun of here - "actually my clients believed this 4 word tweet is a secret winking sign that this heavily indebted rapidly failing company is worth trillions". No, your clients are morons.

Advertising pizza is different than selling securities though. If you tell someone stock XYZ is the best investment in the world so you can offload your shares onto suckers that's not puffery that's fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

bertolt rekt posted:

Why does he keep saying [DRS book]?

Are they bragging that they aren’t holding the shares in a margin account in order to keep them from being lent to a short seller?

Is it a different, dumber, thing?

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/what-is-the-direct-registration-system-or-drs-for-stocks-357536

This, apparently. Direct Registration System for registering ownership of stocks without involving a stockbroker. IIRC, an increasing number of stockbrokers no longer allow trades of BBBY, for obvious reasons. And maybe what you said, too.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 2, 2023