Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

That's probably going to end up being a Pokemon Go situation where people were buying Nintendo stock based off the game's success (it was licensed by Nintendo and Nintendo didn't see any of that profit iirc), people throwing money off it based on name alone

Oh that's def what's happening here but that doesn't make the price doubling any less real, whether the company would actually benefit from the technology or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Riot Bimbo posted:

I think the solar system is broadly speaking the bounds of these phenomena, and while we arent unique or alone in the greater sense, anything that's truly extra-solar is a passerby or a victim, some statistical aberration, not the main thing.

the old visitors came from the sky, or atop the mountains

then they lived in kingdoms just beyond our reach

now they come from other stars

it’s all the same, whether deliberate obfuscation/confusion or an attempt to give an explanation monke can comprehend

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The docking part is new to me, but we already knew they were flying above 80,000 feet and underwater. Those ones in/around/above the atmosphere were actually the first ones detected by the USS Princeton. They detected 14 at once up there, and then they started dropping to sea level in a split second, like there was instantaneously a chain of them from 28,000 feet down to just above the water. The first thing that Fravor saw was a disturbance in the water the size of a 737. Then he engaged in the chase that he's talked about the most.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

helta posted:

https://twitter.com/brandonfugal/status/1686421634973085696

im not afraid to admit that i watch that garbage

Same. The UAP activity there makes me think the area is some sort of navigational marker. The show itself is laughable at times (LETS POUR WATER INTO THIS HOLE AND SEE WHERE IT GOES) but some of the events there are freaky.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't watch it. Someone post the good parts here

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Triggs posted:

Same. The UAP activity there makes me think the area is some sort of navigational marker. The show itself is laughable at times (LETS POUR WATER INTO THIS HOLE AND SEE WHERE IT GOES) but some of the events there are freaky.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

recognize these young fellas? you should at least recognize the forehead.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Stuff being from a higher dimension makes way more sense than aliens tbh and would explain a lot of the shape shifting and appearance/disappearance

Unless it's aliens that found out how to use higher dimensions to travel places real fast

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Makes sense to me, put the mothership in the water and release the drones. They could be down there pulling uranium out of seawater for their nefarious alien goal of collecting a tiny amount of uranium

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I dunno, I certainly don't rule out the possibility and it could explain the high strangeness stuff around all this, but we don't really have any theories or ideas about extra dimensions that are actually inhabitable much less able to traverse between them. Like I get how big space is but I don't really think it would be all that hard for something that has the technology level we've seen to travel the stars.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Aliens flying a ship or drone from a different star is pretty easy to conceptualize but the higher dimension stuff doesn't make any sense and seems like handwaving a half assed explanation. Without any idea about the aliens' life cycle, conception of morality, technology, or really anything other than they like flying around in geometric shapes, you can't really rule out interstellar visitors. They could have cybernetic clones that get grown en route, they could be immortal, they could conscript aliens to come here, use robots, induce a torpor state, freeze themselves, etc. there's no reason to assume they're magic elves that live between air molecules when they show up on radar and infrared.

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

Show us already. Show us the underwater burger factory. Show us the better videos. I've pretty much had it with the "informed insider" angle.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

it's still more likely that they are von Neumann machines of some kind, possibly with what would we call a biological component but could just be a squishy bag of tubes that lives forever

their mishaps and eventual mastery of our atmosphere suggests they create on site, which is only natural of course, and that they had difficulty getting it right

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else consider that it might be more likely that this technology was simply discovered by humans a hundred years ago, and they have used UFO mythology and increasingly sophisticated MKULTRA poo poo to conceal their operations

Like if you were to objectively weigh that possibility against aliens, it would probably be more likely

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

*makes bell shape*

*crashes in fascist Italy*

okay Steve try the next button

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Andy Pandy posted:

Does anyone else consider that it might be more likely that this technology was simply discovered by humans a hundred years ago, and they have used UFO mythology and increasingly sophisticated MKULTRA poo poo to conceal their operations

Like if you were to objectively weigh that possibility against aliens, it would probably be more likely

that requires a conspiracy beyond anyone's ability to comprehend. it's only a little more likely that aliens actually do exist, given the prior probabilities now in place

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
wasn't the whole underwater moving base making probes thing from the 4chan larp or am i getting confused with all the nonsense?

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

mdemone posted:

it's still more likely that they are von Neumann machines of some kind, possibly with what would we call a biological component but could just be a squishy bag of tubes that lives forever

their mishaps and eventual mastery of our atmosphere suggests they create on site, which is only natural of course, and that they had difficulty getting it right

I'm skeptical to the whole von neumann idea if all of the disclosure stuff is real. If these things can operate in higher dimensions and use inertialess transits then newtonian motion between light years of space seems unlikely. If they're going that far using newtonian physics and have to obey special relativity as we understand it, that's tens of thousands of years of travel for a machine that as we observe easily breaks down. In my mind they just use exotic physics like time travel or wormholes to bypass the whole movement through three dimension space part.

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

Zoobtro posted:

wasn't the whole underwater moving base making probes thing from the 4chan larp or am i getting confused with all the nonsense?

Yeah it was a 4chan LARP

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Zoobtro posted:

it was in there but I am certain I've heard similar in UFO lore and probably science fiction before

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mdemone posted:

Well if it's not possible to communicate faster than light they'd want something capable of making good decisions on earth. So yeah maybe some horrible brain monster controls the motherships from whence the tictacs emerge.
There could also be multiple alien groups on the planet with different agendas. Hell they could be shooting each other down

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

deathbysnusnu posted:

I'm skeptical to the whole von neumann idea if all of the disclosure stuff is real. If these things can operate in higher dimensions and use inertialess transits then newtonian motion between light years of space seems unlikely. If they're going that far using newtonian physics and have to obey special relativity as we understand it, that's tens of thousands of years of travel for a machine that as we observe easily breaks down. In my mind they just use exotic physics like time travel or wormholes to bypass the whole movement through three dimension space part.

if any one of those things is true, then we are dealing with an entity that cannot be even reckoned with much less understood.

I'm still a "no" on interdimensionality. you can do interstellar travel if you're good enough at living and know how to make anything from space junk

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

Pie in the Sky posted:

Yeah it was a 4chan LARP

did this mr corbell do the larp or is he sourcing it?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

think like a squishy bag of tubes. what is ten thousand years to you?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

space is big but time is long

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Zoobtro posted:

That's been speculated about since the tic tac videos first came out because the sea bubbling like crazy and ufos going underwater was part of the story from day 1

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

Zoobtro posted:

did this mr corbell do the larp or is he sourcing it?

yes

lol

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

mdemone posted:

if any one of those things is true, then we are dealing with an entity that cannot be even reckoned with much less understood.

I'm still a "no" on interdimensionality. you can do interstellar travel if you're good enough at living and know how to make anything from space junk

Our understanding of physics makes that the more likely possibility but a huge long shot given just how much can go wrong in deep space over geological timeframes with strictly limited resources. But if they got ships bigger on the inside and don't need to obey newtons laws to get around why would they travel the long way round.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

mdemone posted:

space is big but time is long

space is girthy

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Do enough psychedelics or meditation and you'll understand extradimensional entities

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Re the 4chan larp:

There are also videos of uap entering and leaving water in apparently impossible ways, it's not *just* the larp poo poo, which is all that Underwater Base In The Gulf Of Mexico poo poo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

helta posted:

recognize these young fellas? you should at least recognize the forehead.

based on the forehead i'm thinking dragon is soft disclosure

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
the one on the left looks like Matt Gaetz.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
dragons are stored in the forehead

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Andy Pandy posted:

i have a pet theory this is pretty correct. there is a bunch of science that looked ready for a breakthrough in the 50s, but suddenly disappeared (antigravity work, etc). we found ourselves significantly ahead of our adversaries, and a bunch of unsavory characters were brought in to keep it that way. whether those breakthroughs were from studying found exotic examples or indigenous effort or stolen nazi-sourced tibetan hand-me-down bells doesn't really matter moving forward.

fast forward a few decades and grusch finds himself asking the wrong folks hard questions about where all the money is going. its a coverup of a coverup at this point that isn't ready for the gravy train to end. once you're on the inside, it's incredible - a blank check, no oversight, cool toys, you'd literally kill to keep a lid on it.

mark immune posted:

Orbamna making a Netflix doc about Betty and Barney
https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63881533/

the hills, as mentioned previously in this thread, could easily be an early example of these types 'doing an abduction'. i wonder what happened to grusch and his wife after he started pissing off dangerous people, and if any of the retaliation involved getting drugged by some spooks in discount masks from spirit halloween.

the fact head spook obama is getting interested in that case is fascinating, to me. gotta get his mitts on disclosure? working on controlling the narrative? naw, probably just an innocent interest in a new hobby in his retirement :downs:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

if you hypothesize there was alien contact and deals cut with the us government long ago, i feel like you can suss out who is involved based on outcomes looking at the situation over 50 years later.

i would expect i could find someone who had a hand in global destabilization and maintaining an evil and corrupt status quo enjoying their benefits. back when contact happened, they would have had to have been tied into military intelligence or similar, but would have grown far beyond that role. not a leader, but the leader's advisor steering events from the shadows. as they got more powerful, you'd be able to see them making moves to turn the conspiracy international - maybe secret trips to global powers like china? for all the carnage they caused they're still free and revered, given power and authority not befitting even their relatively high station. they would have an unusually long life span too, a side benefit of being a cooperative actor

anyways, im sure it would be hard to come up with someone who fits that rough description

randomly rewatching this old vhs copy of a copy and drat, john lear knew :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItRiw2HwvF0&t=258s

Sextro posted:

Kissinger is still alive because he’s a p’nti pawn

Delta-Wye posted:

quit hiding birds kissinger

show me the birds

Hatebag posted:

Henry Kissinger as valiant thor is a funny idea

its all true

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Hatebag posted:

Well if it's not possible to communicate faster than light they'd want something capable of making good decisions on earth. So yeah maybe some horrible brain monster controls the motherships from whence the tictacs emerge.
There could also be multiple alien groups on the planet with different agendas. Hell they could be shooting each other down

politics 1 was so fun are you guys ready for politics 2 with alien factions?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Andy Pandy posted:

If the central issue weren't so demonstrably anomalous, then yeah, go with the mundane explanation every time.

Not too long ago we actually saw the US roll out its top secret aircraft for a really big important can't-fail mission (Bin Laden lol) and all they did was crash a slightly modified stealth helicopter.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

UFOTacoMan posted:

politics 1 was so fun are you guys ready for politics 2 with alien factions?

Terra Invicta was soft disclosure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aliens own
New superconductor owns

This is a neat time to be alive all things considered