Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

that's not a terrible deal tbh

Also they gain a bunch back from avoiding certain luxury tax penalties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Isn't it a poorly kept secret that David Stearns is taking over for the Mets this winter?

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 1, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Eppler's probably going to be a much bigger problem for the Mets than Cohen soon.

It's interesting having an owner who doesn't seem averse to using bloated contracts as stocking horses to swap cash for prospects. We'll see how long the other owners put up with it.

Eppler has to be gone after the season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

cool we can still afford ohtani

e: also that'd 39 not 29

Whose cap does this count against, or is it split based on the money

e:https://twitter.com/ChrisKirschner/status/1686467738686951425

Straight facts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I assume whatever portions the Mets pay counts against their tax but that's just logical thinking so it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on how the CBA works

Also I'm betting we could still have sent like Melton and Leon if we'd paid JV's full salary so I'm a little annoyed

e: also say what you will about Cohen but it must be nice to have an owner who'll eat a big financial loss to try to win

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Cerami is like the #2 guy at bleacher nation, but BN is probably the foremost cubs blog. He's not credentialed press, but I'd still call him a reporter. Brett Taylor is the original guy but he's currently doing his 24-hour trade deadline blogathon for make-a-wish so he's effectively dead to the world at the moment

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Eppler's probably going to be a much bigger problem for the Mets than Cohen soon.

It's interesting having an owner who doesn't seem averse to using bloated contracts as stocking horses to swap cash for prospects. We'll see how long the other owners put up with it.

https://twitter.com/scottcoleman55/status/1686466908848259075

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Mets collapse is just so loving weird to me. It’s like a guy building this completely min-maxed team of all-stars in The Show or Super Mega Baseball without bothering to step back and think if it made sense as a cohesive team.

How do you evaluate cohesion on a team before they play together? Is it just having a team identity and slotting people in that fit that role?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1686469238741979137

gently caress I was hoping the Cubs could bring him back.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

it's kind of a vulgar/dumb plan but it's a hell of a fallback any year you look to be out of it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Mets collapse is just so loving weird to me. It’s like a guy building this completely min-maxed team of all-stars in The Show or Super Mega Baseball without bothering to step back and think if it made sense as a cohesive team.

How comparable is this to Paul Allen throwing money around and ending up with the Jailblazers?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
https://twitter.com/mitchbannon/status/1686467322276462592?s=46&t=JjwP7iXF4lHrN9ozbAjOtw

Thank loving God.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Yanks not doing anything bodes well imo

At the very least there’s lots of good baseball to watch with teams that are actually trying

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Go Astros.

Love u all.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
lmao I honestly feel for boone, he’s probably doing his best with the info he has

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

The Yanks not doing anything bodes well imo

I just want to see some different players. This team is loving unwatchable.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/TheMatthewRoyer/status/1686471701155151872?s=20

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

An interesting thing about the expanded playoffs is that you see more trades like this between two contending teams. DBacks obviously aren't selling so you figure they'll get back a major leaguer in return.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

The Pussy Boss posted:

An interesting thing about the expanded playoffs is that you see more trades like this between two contending teams. DBacks obviously aren't selling so you figure they'll get back a major leaguer in return.

Sounds like Strezlecki a young bullpen arm who shuffles from MLB and AAA. Weird trade.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I guess I'm less upset about giving up Gilbert and Clifford than I was about giving up Beer and Martin in the Greinke trade and look how that turned out

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Guys help the stove is way too hot and there's not nearly enough time for it to cool down! I can't keep up!

Intruder posted:

I guess I'm less upset about giving up Gilbert and Clifford than I was about giving up Beer and Martin in the Greinke trade and look how that turned out

Prospect hugging is almost always a bad look when you're in Win Now mode. And this is the Astros golden era. I seriously don't get Astros fans who are upset with this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Why can’t I just have everything, cost me nothing, and also the people I don’t like fall on their faces? That would be fair.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kirios posted:

Guys help the stove is way too hot and there's not nearly enough time for it to cool down! I can't keep up!

Prospect hugging is almost always a bad look when you're in Win Now mode. And this is the Astros golden era. I seriously don't get Astros fans who are upset with this.

People like to be mad about stuff.

So, now we turn to the most pressing issue, how does this affect the Verlander HoF cap choice

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

STAC Goat posted:

Why can’t I just have everything, cost me nothing, and also the people I don’t like fall on their faces? That would be fair.

This tbh

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Mike, there's only an hour and change left, we gotta get to the DEAL ZONE! Christ, at least bring in another reliever so we can pretend that some combination of Irvin/Voth/Means is going to make it through the rest of the season.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Yanks doing nothing is a totally modern Yankees move because it's the worst possible decision but requires the least amount of effort.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

Yanks doing nothing is a totally modern Yankees move because it's the worst possible decision but requires the least amount of effort.

No one's job is in any trouble so no reason to do anything.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Prospect hugging is a reasonable perspective when you spend years tracking them in the minors, dreaming on the upside. Then they never even put on the uniform. It feels like wasted energy, to some extent. That said, yea, there's a cost to aquire talent. But it's hard to be objective about it. Keep your heart focused on your ML team, imo, and save the anger for when the player is actually performing for another team. Prospects are fickle enough you're not really going to be hurt that often.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/1686475946751111169

Bye Mancini I was rooting for you but I admit I look forward to never having to watch you hit and field like a little leaguer in a Cubs uniform again.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/1686475946751111169

Bye Mancini I was rooting for you but I admit I look forward to never having to watch you hit and field like a little leaguer in a Cubs uniform again.

I'm not unhappy but I don't know why you don't just send Wisdom down. He's now our third 3B? Maybe fourth behind Morel?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

Crane has earned like 15 years of never being mad at him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1686474162972266497

lmao Mets are already calling 2024 a wash.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

I'm not unhappy but I don't know why you don't just send Wisdom down. He's now our third 3B? Maybe fourth behind Morel?

DINGERS

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/CraigMish/status/1686477389759492097

Marlins got the 3B they were looking for

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They told Verlander the same thing, per USA Today, which I guess is per Bob Nightengale

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I can only ever hear his name as JAKE BUUUUUUUUUUGEEEEEEEEEEEER after that White Sox radio call in.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LIGHT THE CANDLE
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1686477177884155904?t=ethv5eL0FgI4KSI-A0849g&s=19

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

zoux posted:

People like to be mad about stuff.

So, now we turn to the most pressing issue, how does this affect the Verlander HoF cap choice

3 of his 4 best seasons came in Detroit (and he should have 2 more Cy Youngs if not for the Porcello and David Price votes), and he spent the first 12 years of his career there.

If it isn't a Tigers cap, I'll be really bummed :smith:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well Played Mauer posted:

Do we really think there’s anything they could have done? Would picking up a few mid level prospects for Bader/Peralta/Gleyber really have saved the day or made a real difference aside from a soft punt on the rest of the season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sab0921 posted:

Crane has earned like 15 years of never being mad at him.

Like for real this is the best a Houston sports team has ever been and likely ever will be. Enjoy it!