Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

VelociBacon posted:

I can't close my bathroom door when I shower anymore...

I currently have no ceiling in one of my bathrooms to access the plumbing above, closing the door means one cat climbs through the ceiling to harass you in there. I'm glad I was able to get them to stop showering with me, so much cat hair in the drain and they would rub their wet fur on you after you finished toweling off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Don't Ask posted:

Well, I am now the proud owner of one (1) black cat, male, called Charlie.

So far, the only thing he's done since I got him home was crawl under my bed. I put a bowl of water near him, cause he was panting on the ride home. I suppose he'll get over the "oh poo poo where am I" period soon? He doesn't seem to want to drink yet. :(

Exclusive Charlie update!!!: He came out from under the bed and explored a bit. He's really affectionate and kept coming back to me to get pets. He also started purring while wandering around. However, when he saw me carrying a broom he freaked the gently caress out (:confused:) and ran back under the bed, where he's chilling now.

Update: It's been 13 loving years since this post, and Charlie is now ~14 years old and still going strong. We also adopted Louie ~3 years ago, and most of the time Charlie lets her know he doesn't care for her by hissing and swatting like an rear end in a top hat.

Sometimes, though, he forgets, and then this happens:

Porstuve
Apr 4, 2015

I recently adopted my first pet, a 6-year old cat and she’s a real sweet heart. Really well behaved, but getting her to let me clip her nails has been a challenge.

Sometimes I’m able to do one if she’s really sleepy, but otherwise she just scrambles out or kicks me when I try. She’s not hurt, but she definitely doesn’t like it. I’ve tried giving her treats when I do it, but when I have food in my hands she’s too excited and won’t sit still for me to clip.

Do you goons have tricks for a slippery cat?

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Porstuve posted:

I recently adopted my first pet, a 6-year old cat and she’s a real sweet heart. Really well behaved, but getting her to let me clip her nails has been a challenge.

Sometimes I’m able to do one if she’s really sleepy, but otherwise she just scrambles out or kicks me when I try. She’s not hurt, but she definitely doesn’t like it. I’ve tried giving her treats when I do it, but when I have food in my hands she’s too excited and won’t sit still for me to clip.

Wrap her up in a towel or blanket, AKA the purrito method. It’s the only way our cats suffer their claw trimming. They growl a little in there but they get through it ok with treats on the other side.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

A cat is never going to sit still for you to clip their nails. You will need to hold them somehow. Before going burrito method I would try pulling her onto your lap and holding her that way, if she's generally agreeable and handleable she might let you do it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Porstuve posted:

As the other goons have said, you'll need to hold her down. Cats won't hold still for getting their nails clipped. You can pin her between / under your legs on the couch, wrap her in a towel, or have another person hold her.

It will also help if the cat is used to you touching her paws. So touch and pet both the upper and lower side of her paws whenever you're petting her. If she tolerates that well, also gently push her fingers up and down so her claws are visible. Don't actually cut them then, but let her get used to the touch itself.

These two factors should make clipping her nails easier.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

pidan posted:

It will also help if the cat is used to you touching her paws. So touch and pet both the upper and lower side of her paws whenever you're petting her. If she tolerates that well, also gently push her fingers up and down so her claws are visible. Don't actually cut them then, but let her get used to the touch itself.

These two factors should make clipping her nails easier.

Just to add to this. If you get your cat used to you patting her all over, then it's easier in the future to notice if they're in pain or discomfort. Regular rubbing her belly, moving her back paws stuff like that can help you notice changes in behaviour in the future.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
One of my cats has rather suddenly become a door dasher.

This is... Unfortunate. The other one loves to sit on the top step and watch or leisurely wander around a bit outside which I'm fine with, and this one used to be the same, but now (last day and a half) we are having to rush through the door because he wants to get out and just book it for the woods as fast as his feet can carry him.

Any advice on what I can do about this to prevent it from becoming a long term problem? I assume addressing it ASAP is better than waiting!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Any other changes to behavior?

Got sick and trying to hide is my biggest worry. I'll ask my wife if she has any tips about stopping cats from dashing.

Luckily our current boys don't try and get out at all, but our lady cat did and she would constantly juke around me. She respected my wife though and would actually not try and get out when she was the one opening the door lol

Porstuve
Apr 4, 2015

Thanks everyone for sharing your advice on the nail clipping. I’ll try and get her used to me touching her paws first then do lap and/or burrito method as necessary :)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Any other changes to behavior?

Got sick and trying to hide is my biggest worry.

There is another new change to behaviour, yes - him standing at the door and yowling for minutes at a time, taking a break, and then repeating. I think he just really wants to be outside.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

GlyphGryph posted:

There is another new change to behaviour, yes - him standing at the door and yowling for minutes at a time, taking a break, and then repeating. I think he just really wants to be outside.
Is the cat fixed? Our former stray did that for awhile even though he's neutered. Turned out there was another cat hanging around out front at night and I had to discourage it away. I also put out vinegar in places where it might have been going to the bathroom. Once it stopped coming by our boy stopped his nightly yodels.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

One of my cats has gotten newly pukey in the last couple weeks. He’s 2 now and I got him as a kitten; up to this point he hadn’t been a puker at all and had thrown up less than 5 times. A couple weeks ago he started throwing up digested food pretty regularly. He still seemed hungry though, like he’d beg for treats or eat and then throw it up a few minutes later. I took him to the vet when he started projectile vomiting because I was worried about an obstruction.

They kept him overnight, did labs and X-ray and ultrasound, and found nothing other than mild GI inflammation. They took a large quantity of my dollars and sent him home with instructions to feed him half a tablet of chewable Pepcid once a day. Lucky for me, he seems to really like them, or at least he likes the pill pockets and endures the Pepcid.

I’ve had pukey cats before, but that was always because of hairballs, bolting food, or not getting fed at the right time in the morning. Finn’s puking habits are new and confusing. Aside from that he’s still acting like his normal anxiously energetic self, and is not acting like a sick cat. Should I just expect this to be his new normal?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Did you change his food recently? Or did you get new houseplants? Does the cat go outside? Is he stressed for some reason? Do you brush him?

If there's nothing wrong with him medically (I'd probably get a second opinion if he's puking that much), then it might be allergies. Or he's getting into something he shouldn't and that's what makes him puke. Or he's just stressed. I'd try changing his food and see if it helps.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

chutwig posted:

One of my cats has gotten newly pukey in the last couple weeks. He’s 2 now and I got him as a kitten; up to this point he hadn’t been a puker at all and had thrown up less than 5 times. A couple weeks ago he started throwing up digested food pretty regularly. He still seemed hungry though, like he’d beg for treats or eat and then throw it up a few minutes later. I took him to the vet when he started projectile vomiting because I was worried about an obstruction.

They kept him overnight, did labs and X-ray and ultrasound, and found nothing other than mild GI inflammation. They took a large quantity of my dollars and sent him home with instructions to feed him half a tablet of chewable Pepcid once a day. Lucky for me, he seems to really like them, or at least he likes the pill pockets and endures the Pepcid.

I’ve had pukey cats before, but that was always because of hairballs, bolting food, or not getting fed at the right time in the morning. Finn’s puking habits are new and confusing. Aside from that he’s still acting like his normal anxiously energetic self, and is not acting like a sick cat. Should I just expect this to be his new normal?

Charlie started throwing up every day a few months after I got him, and eventually the vets determined that he has pretty bad food allergies. I switched him over to hypoallergenic dry foods which immensely reduced the frequency of his vomiting. The added expense sucks but at least it's high quality nutrition.
Unfortunately the allergies slowly got worse during the years and we had to try a number of additional medications to try and mitigate them. Currently at age ~14 he's on ~15-30mg of oral corticosteroids every day or so which help, and otherwise he's healthy and happy.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
One of my cats occasionally chews on nothing and I was wondering if this is harmful or not.
He doesn't have any issues eating food, and seem quite happy in general.
I managed to catch it on video, including the sound he makes. Might need to unmute the video.
https://i.imgur.com/nMfffyO.mp4

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Could be a tooth or gum issue. Ours was doing that when one of her baby teeth was about to fall out but your cat looks way too old for that. A vet should probably check it out.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Autodrop Monteur posted:

One of my cats occasionally chews on nothing and I was wondering if this is harmful or not.
He doesn't have any issues eating food, and seem quite happy in general.
I managed to catch it on video, including the sound he makes. Might need to unmute the video.
https://i.imgur.com/nMfffyO.mp4

My cat is was doing the same thing and I brought it up at his annual exam. They checked his teeth and he had a lot of plaque and some gingivitis so we scheduled a teeth cleaning.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

We went away for a night this weekend and I’m a little worried how our cats reacted. My sister - who they’ve met many times and have even taken treats from once - came twice a day and put out their usual meals, but they only ate at night. :sigh: This is the same thing we were told they did at the shelter the whole 3+ months they were there, they never ate in front of the staff but their food would be gone in the morning.

They seem so comfortable now but it makes me think they don’t really consider our home safe, that they need us to be here with them too. My partner is also convinced they like it when he watches them eat, which is cute, but now I worry that’s a “safety” thing we could be accidentally reinforcing.

In a few months we have a weeklong trip, along with my sister. Any advice on preparing our cats? Our options for care are to have our neighbour come by, who also has cats but hasn’t met ours yet, or to board them (there’s a cats only place with great reviews nearby). I thought keeping them home would be obviously less stressful but now I’m not so sure, if they’re going to be terrified and hiding anyway maybe we should aim for maximum monitoring. :( But there must be something we can do to help them before this.

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
So this is Bec:

A lovable weirdo who we got as a rescue 4 years ago.

This is Asriel:

A cat that lives on our road. Very friendly. Dumb as rocks. Named by a 6 year old boy who likes Undertale and Bec was named by us because my wife and I used to read homestuck, hush you

In the good times a couple of years ago, Asriel would come in, make herself at home, play in the garden with Bec, and generally make a nuisance of herself:

Both are very different in their temperaments and friendliness to people, with Asriel being a bit of a party cat while Bec is much more cautious. When they got along in the Summer of 2021 they would play a little together, but Asriel would always play for a little too long past Bec's comfort zone, so he'd lash out and chase her away. In the winter of 2021 she didn't come over as much, but this was because Bec would now not tolerate her at all. Since then they have the occasional stand off and full on fight on our road, but 95% of the time they maintain a respectable distance.

Now however...

Asriel's owners want to get rid of her. Their eldest daughter who mostly looks after Asriel is moving away and cant bring the cat with her. The parents' son has a disability that confines him to a wheelchair, and they are finding it difficult to look after him as well as their pets (2 cats, a dog, some rabbits).

My wife and I are weighing up the options. We have a family, as well as other pets (snake, crabs, mantis), but could afford another cat no problem. We are just worried about Bec and how he'd handle it given their history. I've read up on how to introduce cats - keep one in its own room, mix their toys/scent, limited initial contact and expand it out, etc. However most things I can find are for cats who are completely new to one another. I'm looking for any advice on how best to do this introduction and to help them become mates again. I'm mostly worried that Asriel will still be too dumb to know when to quit. Perhaps they've established a new pecking order and boundaries, but its hard to know if that will be maintained once she's in our house again.

Also the other weird thing is that her previous owners are staying put, so getting her used to our house might be undone somewhat if she tries to visit her old owners? Not sure how best to deal with that eventuality. I guess home is where the food is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Any advice for a cat that truly, truly hates being put in the carrier / being constrained in any way? I’ve tried coaxing her, I’ve tried brute force, I’ve tried the blanket thing and each time she goes full crazy to get out. I’m going to have to move her twice in a week and I’m even doing it once feels impossible

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

kaom posted:

We went away for a night this weekend and I’m a little worried how our cats reacted. My sister - who they’ve met many times and have even taken treats from once - came twice a day and put out their usual meals, but they only ate at night. :sigh: This is the same thing we were told they did at the shelter the whole 3+ months they were there, they never ate in front of the staff but their food would be gone in the morning.

They seem so comfortable now but it makes me think they don’t really consider our home safe, that they need us to be here with them too. My partner is also convinced they like it when he watches them eat, which is cute, but now I worry that’s a “safety” thing we could be accidentally reinforcing.

In a few months we have a weeklong trip, along with my sister. Any advice on preparing our cats? Our options for care are to have our neighbour come by, who also has cats but hasn’t met ours yet, or to board them (there’s a cats only place with great reviews nearby). I thought keeping them home would be obviously less stressful but now I’m not so sure, if they’re going to be terrified and hiding anyway maybe we should aim for maximum monitoring. :( But there must be something we can do to help them before this.

Keeping them at home is the least stressful option, even if they are still stressed. There's not much you can do about it, it's just a facet of cat ownership that they will be sad when you aren't there. Monitoring them will just stress them out more.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Can anyone recommend cat toys that will stand up to rough play? Leo has broken my da bird, my flannel rope on a stick, various catnip mice, and everything with feathers. Or am I just resigned to keep buying toys that he will immediately destroy?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I brought my Drake posted:

Can anyone recommend cat toys that will stand up to rough play? Leo has broken my da bird, my flannel rope on a stick, various catnip mice, and everything with feathers. Or am I just resigned to keep buying toys that he will immediately destroy?

My friend have you heard the truth of the Spring?

https://i.imgur.com/vla6VqL.mp4

It's relatively important (in my experience) to get the ones that look like they have more space between the rings of the spring, there are a lot out there that are so tightly coiled they end up not really being bouncy at all. Here are the ones I like:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

oh my god, The Spring. Those are the ultimate bang for your buck cat toy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I bought like a 30 bag of those and I no longer have any idea where any of them are. I assume when I move in a week I'm going to find a gigantic cache somewhere

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

morestuff posted:

I bought like a 30 bag of those and I no longer have any idea where any of them are. I assume when I move in a week I'm going to find a gigantic cache somewhere

They will be:

Under the couch
Under the table
Under the dryer
Under the stove
On top of the bookshelf (inexplicably how did he even jump that high??)
Underneath a pile of clothes

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rawrbomb posted:

You cannot be around 100% of the time for your little bud, so get them a friend to bond with now (soon!). There is a really good chance they'll bond well, and as kittens probably get along better. I don't think there is a huge difference from 1 to 2 cats, aside from more litter boxes, food, and toys. You do want N + 1 boxes if possible, where N is cats.
I know that this is the common wisdom, but our two cats have two boxes that are side-by-side, and we've never had any problems with going outside the box. They decided that the one with the crystals is for pee and the one with the Dr. Elseys is for poop.

SpeedFreek posted:

I currently have no ceiling in one of my bathrooms to access the plumbing above, closing the door means one cat climbs through the ceiling to harass you in there. I'm glad I was able to get them to stop showering with me, so much cat hair in the drain and they would rub their wet fur on you after you finished toweling off.

Thank you for the hearty laugh.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

My friend have you heard the truth of the Spring?

https://i.imgur.com/vla6VqL.mp4

It's relatively important (in my experience) to get the ones that look like they have more space between the rings of the spring, there are a lot out there that are so tightly coiled they end up not really being bouncy at all. Here are the ones I like:

My cat managed to destroy these by bending them out of shape so ymmv

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

I feel like destroying a toy is basically the highest compliment a cat can give

Like we have these little yarn animal things and when we take out a fresh one our cat we adopted when he was 2 years old will absolutely tear the crap out of it. He loves "killing" the toys

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Speaking of toys I've gotten a new buffalo hide cat toy and one of the cats goes absolutely CRAZY for it, to the point where he actively growls at the other cat if he's even in the same room as the toy. They seem to otherwise still get along, but every time this toy comes out it's immediate "get away this MINE" behaviour.

Not sure if I should continue playing with the toy (it's clearly her favorite) or keep it put away with how it makes her behave.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

yeah. we went through a period with these and got very worried one of our cats was eating bits of them. she def was.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Eating the SPRING TOYS? :aaa: I wouldn’t have guessed that was manageable.

Organza Quiz posted:

Keeping them at home is the least stressful option, even if they are still stressed. There's not much you can do about it, it's just a facet of cat ownership that they will be sad when you aren't there. Monitoring them will just stress them out more.

Thanks. The only thing I can really think of, since familiarity with the sitter didn’t matter, is maybe for me to leave the house more. I WFH 90% of the time, maybe it will help to normalize “empty house” for them a little.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah Quill bends them sometimes but then they become her favorite because they bounce more unpredictably. Look closely at the spring in that video!

I think there's hundreds of different manufacturers, there's no way she could break a piece off these springs but for sure a cheaper more brittle version is going to be available somewhere.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

One of my cats loves the springs, he doesn't destroy them, I do. I accidentally step on them all the time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

phosdex posted:

One of my cats loves the springs, he doesn't destroy them, I do. I accidentally step on them all the time.

I'm 215lbs and I step on them constantly, it would never damage them. I think you guys are buying Bad Springs.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I am guessing the answer is no, and I apologize for asking if it's been asked, but do the cat pheromone spray things work to reduce fighting between two cats?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Nichael posted:

I am guessing the answer is no, and I apologize for asking if it's been asked, but do the cat pheromone spray things work to reduce fighting between two cats?

From personal expirence, they do seem to help on some level. Do you have any idea what the source of the fighting is?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rawrbomb posted:

From personal expirence, they do seem to help on some level. Do you have any idea what the source of the fighting is?

I've got five cats who were all strays, four of which I've had since they were kittens. My fifth one, Zeke, moved in like six months ago as my uncle couldn't take care of him. Two of the cats are indifferent to his presence, one doesn't particularly like him but it's manageable, but Mikey, the most temperamental, hates him. I guess it's territorial but it's a house with plenty of space and hang out spots for them all. They don't really need to deal with each other, but Mikey instigates it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Don't Ask posted:

Charlie started throwing up every day a few months after I got him, and eventually the vets determined that he has pretty bad food allergies. I switched him over to hypoallergenic dry foods which immensely reduced the frequency of his vomiting. The added expense sucks but at least it's high quality nutrition.
Unfortunately the allergies slowly got worse during the years and we had to try a number of additional medications to try and mitigate them. Currently at age ~14 he's on ~15-30mg of oral corticosteroids every day or so which help, and otherwise he's healthy and happy.

He was switched over to HF a couple months ago as part of trying to diagnose his overgrooming. He and my other cat both started throwing up when I began feeding them from the second HF bag, which made me suspicious of the bag, but then the other cat ejected her hairball and was fine after that. I transitioned them both back to their previous non-HF food, which didn’t make a difference.

He’s still throwing up pretty regularly. If I remember to give him Pepcid in the morning that seems to help, because if I forget he’ll barf later on. I feel bad for him but I’m not really sure what to do, because it doesn’t seem especially food related unless he’s allergic to everything now, and all the tests done at the vet came back normal aside from mild GI inflammation. I guess that could mean IBD of some sort, but there’s no diarrhea in the litter box.