Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://i.imgur.com/3HBV3yt.mp4

I wasn't really sure where else to put this.

This is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Even if he had the mix already decided... he did it all by eye. It's still impressive.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On the one hand it is easy to stage, on the other he's eyeballing it and getting it pretty much right. Thing is there's only so many different colors these manufacturers use and a lot of them are shared across manufacturers. Work that job long enough and you'll know exactly what color's what and how to make it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, like I said, while it is easy to stage...don't bet against an old craftsman in asia.

Here's one that you can't fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTIMxeO_ng

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 1, 2023

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Even if he had the mix already decided... he did it all by eye. It's still impressive.

In real paint shops that poo poo is all weighed out to the .001. So yea thats crazy impressive even if he knew what colors to mix.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Seconding this. Even more impressive if he eyeballed the right quantities to scale up to a rattle can

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, like I said, while it is easy to stage...don't bet against an old craftsman in asia.

Here's one that you can't fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTIMxeO_ng

:stare::stare::stare: that guy could make a fortune as a tattoo artist

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

ded posted:

most 2wd vehicles are actually only 1wd

yeah, but in that case when a car has an open (non-locked, non-positraction, w/e) differential, the wheel with the least resistance will be the one that spins. This isn't normally a problem on the road, but if one of your wheels is off the ground (like when you are rock-crawling or doing wacky poo poo in Saudi Arabia) - the wheel off the ground should just spin meaninglessly and you can't get power to the ground.

The alternative is you have some sort of device in the differential (locker, posi-traction, etc) that forces power to both wheels for a true 2WD. And hell even with a posi you have to ride the brake a little bit to get the clutch pack to actually engage at times if a wheel is completely off the ground.

I still don't understand how this works unless they have customized the car to specifically allow this via brake bias between L/R.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 1, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Pork sliders.

https://twitter.com/LiveBoston617/status/1686442418403495969?s=20

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Slide was greased with bacon fat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The first time I watched this I thought it was a dummy.

Then I realized I was right.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I must confess one more dusty road
would be just a road too long

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Marcade posted:

I must confess one more dusty road
would be just a road too long

What a worthless post

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

haveblue posted:

What a worthless post

I can't take this kind of pressure

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

watched this 100 times

brb watching it 200 times

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Preoptopus posted:

In real paint shops that poo poo is all weighed out to the .001. So yea thats crazy impressive even if he knew what colors to mix.

Don't paint shops have computers that do the mixing as well and you just need the ratios?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sigher posted:

Don't paint shops have computers that do the mixing as well and you just need the ratios?

The last time I bought paint at Home Depot you didn't even need the ratios, the machine knows them all and just wants the name of the target color

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Can't you also bring a sample of the paint and a machine will mix the paint to match from a photograph it takes

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

God drat, lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Unperson_47 posted:

Can't you also bring a sample of the paint and a machine will mix the paint to match from a photograph it takes

Yup.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

yeah but it's a mechanical turk

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sustained a head injury from that lolllllll

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
how the gently caress do you even come out of a slide like that???

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mustang posted:

Got going to fast on account of resisting arrest

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bad Munki posted:

Got going to fast on account of resisting arrest

Boooo! Booooooo!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mustang posted:

it's pretty clearly a slide built in the image of the Old gods

also lmfao he landed at the front door to city hall there's no playing that one off

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

a bigger policeman probably dared him to do it

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/vT9SfWp.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Some people pay a lot for that experience

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

sigher posted:

For auto paint you get a paint code and it translates Into weighted ratios from the paint manufacturer catalog. There a lot of variables especially when you deal with like 3 stage metalic paints and different brands of paint and different paint systems will hive different results so it's done by a trained hand. Usually the guy will mix up 3 or 4 paint samples to see which one looks closest to whatever your trying to match up. With body work you also have to account for age of a vehicle when blending into old paint so you don't end up with blotches. Like shampooing a stain in an old carpet will look brighter than the rest of the carpet is almost as bad as the stain itself.

Then you have to account for how the air flows through the paint booth, how the gun itself sprays, and obviously the prep.

There is a reason good autobody painters make 200k a year.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/RHr6FyN.mp4

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Little late to light bulb chat but guy I knew in the early 90s got $400/bulb plus expenses. He required that the customer pay to replace all bulbs on the tower at each climb.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
This came from our civil subcontractor, putting base rock around the track we built before it gets paved. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a call about it yet.

The track is locked out from the main, but still.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

GotLag posted:

Some people pay a lot for that experience

Where and how much? Asking for a friend...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

drat. That drone has the worst luck

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

So what happens if this guy falls? With ladder dude or even on a tree I can see possibly sorting it out yourself, but this guy is just going to be hanging in space unless someone pulls him up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I want to point out that I posted it first. It's also shown up in a few other threads after my post. LOL! I love you CM but you never quote people.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BrianRx posted:

So what happens if this guy falls? With ladder dude or even on a tree I can see possibly sorting it out yourself, but this guy is just going to be hanging in space unless someone pulls him up.

Given that the alternative is hanging in space for a very brief period of time, I'd guess he calls somebody on his cell phone and thanks his lucky stars while he waits.

(and hopes he doesn't get suspension trauma / compartment syndrome)

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

BrianRx posted:

Without being able to see his full rig, my guess is he has ascenders clipped to his gear, probably with foot straps. It's not a super fun thing to have sort out while you're hanging in your harness but it sure beats the alternative. And most good harnesses these days have suspension trauma safety straps in little pouches at your hips, you pop them open and step into the loops so you can atleast shift your weight around and have a little more of a fighting chance if you are stuck hanging.

edit: Watching it again, he definetely has ascenders both on his tether and the working line he has on the unit itself.

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jokes on us that cop is retiring with full pay and benefits due to being injured on the job